• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Burt

Go for it!

Thanks!

Well, long story short, it’s excellent. I think it’s fair to say it’s essentially everything you would hope for with the pitch of “Two devs with a modern take on a Chrono Trigger-style JRPG in 2017”

First and foremost, I cannot overstate how much I like the combat system. I don’t want to misalign expectations too terribly, so I’ll preface things by saying that I’m much more partial to the strategic/tactical aspects of RPG combat than the flashing of huge numbers and intricate spell effects. With that in mind, I can’t think of a JRPG battle system I’ve liked better. Maybe a few that I like to an indistinguishably similar degree (Grandia 1 and 2 spring to mind), but I really can’t think of any I liked more, and CSH’s is so different from my other favorites that it’s hard to imagine a comparison as anything better than apples to oranges.

You’re not going to be able to mash your way through the CSH’s combat, at least not on Heroine difficulty. But that’s okay! Encounter pacing and variety is fantastic, and there are no respawns (unless you want them). Instead, with the way combat works, you have to consciously decide what you’re going to do, and getting there is basically a great optimization puzzle of attacks, defenses, buffs, debuffs, turn order, and Hyper. It sounds like a lot, but it boils down to, “This enemy has that weakness, so what’s the best way to get Party Member X to do Attack Y on Turn Z?” -- applied across however many enemies and and party members are in battle. It’s a refreshing change from the mundanity of typical regular encounter combat, and has about as much depth as any system I’ve seen without any of the extraneous or superfluous bloat that’s present in so many other JRPGs.

Speaking of party members, they’re all pretty fantastic as well. Each has their own distinct combat niche and support capabilities, which means that regardless of your party, everyone’s always able to find a use, particularly as your gear and ability options expand. Characters you initially think are terrible become world-breakers with the right skill or piece of equipment if you can figure out how to work them in the right way - which you’ll have ample opportunity to do, because the game isn’t afraid to lock a specific character or two into your party at regular intervals. There isn’t an overabundance of it or anything, just a bit more than you see in most JRPGs, but whereas in most others it feels like you’re having garbage thrust upon your party, because everyone’s so versatile and viable here it feels more like a well-timed curveball to keep you from settling in too deep on one set group of characters.

The writing in the game - the characters, the story, the dialogue, the little quips you get about each enemy as you target them, and so on and so forth - is good. It’s not going to change how you look at JRPG writing, but the game has a rock-solid understanding of its tone and delivers on it very well. I liked all the characters (/disliked the ones I was supposed to dislike), chuckled a bunch, laughed out loud a few times, and the serious side of the story was well done in that JRPG/anime-y way. I think it's easily the most well-written out of any of Zeboyd's games -- although I'm sure a part of that is just them being able to scale back on Penny Arcade's constant need to be Penny Arcade.

The pacing of the story, and the game overall, is superb. It’s propulsive, always pushing you into reaching new environments, meeting new characters, giving you a valuable equipment upgrade, getting you through a comfy Chrono Trigger-esque dungeon at just the right time, etc. And there are definitely a few moments where I did something like this. That being said, there’s definitely a healthy amount of interesting side content for players who poke around as well, which I don’t want to get into for spoiler reasons. But it’s good, it’s funny, it’s referential, it’s rewarding, and, occasionally, the most difficult stuff in the game.

Overall, because absolutely literally everyone loves numbers so much, the game is an easy call for the 9.0-9.5 range. There are a lot of games of all genres coming out these days that try to recapture that ‘old game’ magic, but very few of them have managed to balance classic elements and modern refinements as well what you get here.

I have a save 10 hours into Trails of the Sky FC that I put on hold to play this for. I’m more inclined to play this again on Super-Spy difficulty than to go back to that.

Burt

Oh, also, I got a beta key from someone on GAF some time for some reason for free, and definitely need to support the game, so I'm giving a PC key away at midnight EST (5.5 hours from now.

You want a shot at it, quote this post.

Oh, also, I got a beta key from someone on GAF some time for some reason for free, and definitely need to support the game, so I'm giving a PC key away at midnight EST (5.5 hours from now.

You want a shot at it, quote this post. Bonus points if you attach a good piece of CSH/Chrono Trigger/Phantasy Star art.

That's awesome of ya man! Thanks for the chance :D

frogmagusfinal_by_frogtheme-d62ncbq.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks!

Well, long story short, it’s excellent. I think it’s fair to say it’s essentially everything you would hope for with the pitch of “Two devs with a modern take on a Chrono Trigger-style JRPG in 2017”
[...]
I have a save 10 hours into Trails of the Sky FC that I put on hold to play this for. I’m more inclined to play this again on Super-Spy difficulty than to go back to that.
Thanks for the detailed write-up! Hype level intact. :)

Corpekata

Banned
Maybe if you're gonna do that contest request people just link to the fanart rather than the picture itself otherwise this thread is quickly gonna get derailed and huge.

Burt

Thanks for the kind words and impressions, Burt.

Mind my asking: How long did it take you to finish the game?

~16 hours, although I definitely missed some side stuff and was already familiar with the first couple hours from the beta.

Maybe if you're gonna do that contest request people just link to the fanart rather than the picture itself otherwise this thread is quickly gonna get derailed and huge.

Good point, I'll just take the art portion out all together.

That Frog picture definitely gave me the reaction of "oh shit do we have a winner already" though.

Frog's the best.

You want a shot at it, quote this post. Bonus points if you attach a good piece of CSH/Chrono Trigger/Phantasy Star art.

I backed, but I can't skip the chance to post some good Phantasy Start art:

poster said:

tumblr_n8dsybIBnk1s4kwx2o1_500.gif

tumblr_mn3vh8T0Rr1s4u80lo1_500.gif

tumblr_mvm75jS9fy1qepy01o1_500.png

Durante

I'm not too far into the game, but I can confirm that the combat is very well designed.

Basically, I'm always inherently skeptical of RPG combat which doesn't feature active positioning of characters, since that greatly reduces the number of tactical permutations available and often leads to repetitive encounters. CSH mitigates this disadvantage on multiple fronts:
  • Battles are not random, and you aren't going to fight the same kind of encounter many times.
  • The dificulty level on "Heroine" seems well-balanced, at least so far. I haven't died yet, but I also can't easily cruise through everything.
  • Having skills deplete and needing to refresh them, together with the explicit power cycle of each character and the elemental affinities and weaknesses result in basically always having a tactical goal you are working towards.
  • Since multiplicative effects stack significantly, pulling off a single well-planned tactical move can be more impactful than 10 standard attacks. This is good design and encourages unique per-encounter and per-character planning.

On top of that, item design is really good too. Items feel either useless or like a crutch you need to preserve in far too many RPGs. Making them basically per-encounter party-wide Vancian spells you have select a small subset of from a larger list is far more strategically interesting and meaningful.

I'm looking forward to this. I don't even mind the additional week's wait for the AU release; I'm still juggling a handful of games I'm hoping to finish this week.

The naming of the difficulty modes is bothering me for some reason. The progression from Tourist to Super-Spy looks awkward. I think it'd be better if the order was Tourist, Agent, Super-Spy and Heroine. I know it's a silly complaint, I'm just putting it out there.

I'm looking forward to this. I don't even mind the additional week's wait for the AU release; I'm still juggling a handful of games I'm hoping to finish this week.

The naming of the difficulty modes is bothering me for some reason. The progression from Tourist to Super-Spy looks awkward. I think it'd be better if the order was Tourist, Agent, Super-Spy and Heroine. I know it's a silly complaint, I'm just putting it out there.

For what it's worth it makes sense to me, Heroine is the difficulty they planned the game around, I assume.

Will they be eMailing keys out?

Been so long since I've had a Kickstarter actually deliver I forgot how it works. Looking at all the "Scheduled Delivery for 2014" products on my KS list makes me laugh and cry.

For what it's worth it makes sense to me, Heroine is the difficulty they planned the game around, I assume.

Heroine isn't the difficulty we planned the game around - Bill played on Heroine & I played on Super-Spy. But we felt that Heroine was the coolest sounding of the difficulty names so we didn't want to make it the hardest one and make people subconsciously feel like they had to play the game on the hardest difficulty level or else.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
IIRC we also took some polls on the difficulty names and how they were lined up or something and I think people liked that or there-about the most.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Will they be eMailing keys out?

Been so long since I've had a Kickstarter actually deliver I forgot how it works. Looking at all the "Scheduled Delivery for 2014" products on my KS list makes me laugh and cry.
They gave out a Humble link ages ago, which is why I have one. I guess the keys will appear there when the game comes out officially.

Corpekata

Banned
From what I understand backer keys should already be out on Humble. It's just normal pre-orders that should be still waiting. Least I thought I saw that in the old general thread for the game. Could be wrong though, maybe only certain tiers.

Heroine isn't the difficulty we planned the game around - Bill played on Heroine & I played on Super-Spy. But we felt that Heroine was the coolest sounding of the difficulty names so we didn't want to make it the hardest one and make people subconsciously feel like they had to play the game on the hardest difficulty level or else.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. It's not so much that Heroine sounds the coolest to me, just that it sounds more like the pinnacle of achievement/progress, especially given Heroine is in the title.

Would've been there day 1 if not for Persona 5. I'll pick this up next month

On a bright note for the devs, that means you get my purchase at full price, no PS+ discount :D

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Making them basically per-encounter party-wide Vancian spellsl.

I love that they did this (also I mostly love saying Vancian). When they talked about doing this during production it was my favorite idea about the game. Too often items just become mindless buttons to click that allow you to reset your various depleting meters (HP/mana/whatever). Giving them a more wide effect and meaningful use turns them into some kind of extra layer of gear to optimize based on what strategy you want to employ. Really cool idea.

Very excited to play it.

Eila

Thanks for the giveaway!

Ibuki

Banned

Thanks for the chance, the game looks fantastic.

GhaleonEB

I backed the Kickstarter and am really excited for this. I love Phantasy Start I-IV so much, this looks like one giant love letter to them. I'm going to wrap up my current game and another shorter one, then move on to this after, should be before the end of the month.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
Which storefront gives Zeboyd Games the largest cut? Kinda up to get the PS version for the cross-buy but it's not a huge difference, so whatever supports you guys more is best to me :)

Won't get around to playing it for a while since I'm still crazy busy with work, but this looks right up my alley! Impressions seem great too, the string of incredible games continues!

Kirie

Thanks so much for the chance!

No cool pictures (though I did buy my husband that amazing PS poster that has already been posted for Christmas last year!) but a memory instead: when I think of Phantasy Star I always think of when my husband and I first started dating.. the first thing he did was make me play through Phantasy Star IV while he watched and guided me. Incredible bonding experience and one that I always back on fondly even though it's been over 12 years since then :)

--

Gonna have to pick up the OST when we have some spare cash as the few songs I've heard sound incredible so far!

Eusis

Thanks Feep!

And yes, KS backers are getting (Steam) codes at the moment, it's not live for sale on places yet.
Is it fine to claim them anyway? I'm the impatient kind that would give up a version to have what was readily available but I'd like to make sure I'm not causing a problem.

EDIT: Also backed at $30.

We need a FAQ section of the OP to cover these questions cause they've been asked... Frequently. :p

-When is the Vita version?
-Potential for a Switch port?
-Limited Run Games physical edition when?

Thanks for the opportunity!
chrono_trigger_by_abysswolf-d6enfe8.png

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Some Q and As:

-When is the Vita version?
As soon as we can direct our focus back onto it, start testing the whole thing there and fixing anything that might need fixing (like the file size), and learning any new ropes on the back-end for Vita which itself takes time. But at the very least our game and engine runs super great on it.

-Potential for a Switch port?
We've been in touch with Nintendo so the possibility is there, but we can't even think about adding more platforms at the moment until we take care of the ones we've already promised.

-Limited Run Games physical edition when?
Once the PS4 and Vita versions have been out for a bit, and if there've been any patching to fix weird quirks along the way, that would be the time, given that doing a physical run we'd want any tweaks/updates to go along with the Disc/Card.

Thanks for the chance. I've had my eye on this game but funds have been a bit tight lately.

Top Bottom