• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio Q&A with Phil Spencer

Kaako

Felium Defensor
2016 would have been an ideal launch for MS. Sony was having to deal with two product launches with PSVR and Pro, they didn't have any major first party holiday releases, their biggest third party holiday game, COD Infinite Warfare wasn't being well received, MS had Gears and all the buzz and marketing with Battlefield...they could have nailed it.

Instead they're dealing with a holiday where Sony has all the marketing rights for Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, Red Dead 2 and COD WW2, they have more first party titles ready to go, and their hardware lineup has matured to allow for price drops across the board, not to mention the Switch being out and making headway.

Last year was an ideal year. This year literally everything is against MS. If anything they should have waited till 2018 at this rate.
Holiday 2017 is gonna be amazing for people that have waited and are still on the sidelines. The deals/bundles/sales are gonna be insane! ahaha
It's gonna be interesting to see how this all play out, that's for sure.

FX-GMC

That's a hilariously bad use of math. What you and Spencer are trying to describe is 4x vs. 1x. You can't just reinvent 4K vs 2K, lol.

Its been done already. lmao

Before "4K" became common, you'd almost never see "2K." It was pretty much just a cinema resolution, which is why you'll sometimes see used to refer to a "master format." Most digital cinema projectors used in theaters are 2K resolution (some are less). It's 2,048 pixels wide, and again, no vertical resolution is specified by the DCI.

But now that "4K" has gained traction as a term used to describe TVs and content, "2K" is becoming increasingly common as shorthand for the 1080p resolution used by most HDTVs, as well as Blu-ray. It's not technically accurate, but that didn't stop "4K" from becoming more popular than UHD.

So really there are no screens that actually display a proper 2k resolution in a 16:9 space.

Sounds like a lot of people here are trying to reinvent 2k.

gamz

It is exactly because everyone assumes that there will be a successor to a console, that it is pointless to bring the point up.

We were discussing the point of this post.

phil probably should not have talked about Xbox two.

You have not even released your next console and your talking about the one after? WHen Sony is asked about new hardware Yoshida just says it doesn't exist. You have to keep hype up for your current console or else why would people buy into it?

People already get pissy when you talk about PS5 when Pro just released a few months ago

I mean obviously it exists.

No Sony had ideas for the PS4 much before anything about Scorpio/Neo was even mentioned or leaked -

Ideas are not announcements. Everyone has ideas. People talk a lot about their ideas. Nothing is official until it is announced, and Microsoft announced Scorpio as a thing before Sony revealed the PS4 Pro, despite Scorpio coming out one year later.

And honestly, whether Sony had discussed plans in 2015 for a possible upgraded PS4 isn't even relevant to my point. My point is that Microsoft may have used corporate espionage to get PS4 Pro specs before it was revealed, causing them to scrap plans for a 2016 Scorpio and focus on a 2017 Scorpio.

Ideas are not announcements. Everyone has ideas. People talk a lot about their ideas. Nothing is official until it is announced, and Microsoft announced Scorpio as a thing before Sony revealed the PS4 Pro, despite Scorpio coming out one year later.

And honestly, whether Sony had discussed plans in 2015 for a possible upgraded PS4 isn't even relevant to my point. My point is that Microsoft may have used corporate espionage to get PS4 Pro specs before it was revealed, causing them to scrap plans for a 2016 Scorpio and focus on a 2017 Scorpio.

Are we really going there? lol

2017 is fine, rather they pick the box and date they prefer and push for that than have the somewhat muted response like Sony have had towards the Pro. That conference in September was so flat, weird.

Sony was getting the marketing for all those games anyway so I don't think it matters that much

My point is that Microsoft may have used corporate espionage to get PS4 Pro specs before it was revealed, causing them to scrap plans for a 2016 Scorpio and focus on a 2017 Scorpio.

🤣🤣 Take a step back man, have a Bud Light and re-think

gamz

I can't stop laughing. You sound like Trump.

I think opting for 2017 was the right choice, 2018 feels a bit far out for a mid-gen refresh IMO, and in 2016 they'd have been a lot closer to the PS4 Pro in performance while having to fight for attention in what would've been a very busy hardware holiday.

2017 has allowed them to build what is clearly the most powerful console, more capable of achieving their 4K goal, while giving them something pretty big of their own to create a lot buzz around without any competing hardware launches.

Sony has several marketing deals on multiplatform games this year, but I don't think they'll greatly affect Scorpio's launch - Scorpio is being aimed squarely at the enthusiast gamer, and they're largely much more clued in on what's multiplatform and what isn't. They're the kind who are more likely to know which console plays the multiplatform games the best, too.

DyZ

giphy.gif

Lom1lo

My point is that Microsoft may have used corporate espionage to get PS4 Pro specs before it was revealed, causing them to scrap plans for a 2016 Scorpio and focus on a 2017 Scorpio.

Its over guys, the dream is dead. Scorpio goes to jail, not in your living room.

farisr

Then explain this, if marketing rights matter so much:

http://playstationenthusiast.com/article/destiny-sales-xbox-one/

still we will see ��
Did you even read the article you posted? It actually explain the reason why. Bundled sales were not counted. Anyone who's followed a sales thread or two knows this is pretty common, the game actually selling systems due to bundles, but due to bundled copies of the game not counted in the NPD, it often showing up as having sold more for the console that didn't have the marketing/bundles.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think opting for 2017 was the right choice, 2018 feels a bit far out for a mid-gen refresh IMO, and in 2016 they'd have been a lot closer to the PS4 Pro in performance while having to fight for attention in what would've been a very busy hardware holiday.

2017 has allowed them to build what is clearly the most powerful console, more capable of achieving their 4K goal, while giving them something pretty big of their own to create a lot buzz around without any competing hardware launches.

Sony has several marketing deals on multiplatform games this year, but I don't think they'll greatly affect Scorpio's launch - Scorpio is being aimed squarely at the enthusiast gamer, and they're largely much more clued in on what's multiplatform and what isn't. They're the kind who are more likely to know which console plays the multiplatform games the best, too.

they will have the hardare market this year as no new sony launch, as for sony marketing the games that's cool but they will all run better on the scorpio.
the marketing deals will work for sony but they will sell a ton on xbox to

MilkyJoe

Or they knew themselves what would be the best available tech to fit on the SoC for a 2016 release, had no idea what PS was doing, but made an educated guess (if at all) and decided they wanted to wait?

Are we really going there? lol

2017 is fine, rather they pick the box and date they prefer and push for that than have the somewhat muted response like Sony have had towards the Pro. That conference in September was so flat, weird.

Sony was getting the marketing for all those games anyway so I don't think it matters that much

🤣🤣 Take a step back man, have a Bud Light and re-think

I can't stop laughing. You sound like Trump.

Its over guys, the dream is dead. Scorpio goes to jail, not in your living room.

Now that is a spicy take. You'll do well here lol

What's the more likely explanation? According to Phil, Microsoft says "I think we need to do more than what the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay"? Or Microsoft knows ahead of time what the PS4 Pro will bring to the table and realizes the 2016 version of the Scorpio wouldn't differentiate the two hardware revisions enough? If game journalists could get PS4 Pro specs before they were released by Sony, surely Microsoft could have as well.

I never realized how often Phil says "like" haha. That dev kit obviously looks a lot like the S. I wonder how true that is to the final box design? It looks like the other dev kits were essentially what the final product looked like for the most part. I'm not sure if I'm excited about the design because I have seen something like it before. i am really impressed it looks so small though.

amdb00mer

WOW similar size to the S.

My thought as well. This also lends credibility to something Digital Foundry hinted at. They stated the prototype they saw at Turn 10 was about the same size as the S or maybe even smaller. If you look at the render they keep showing, it looks smaller and it looks like they moved the UHD Drive to the right side kind of like the PS2 had it's DVD drive on the right side.

theWB27

What's the more likely explanation? According to Phil, Microsoft says "I think we need to do more than what the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay"? Or Microsoft knows ahead of time what the PS4 Pro will bring to the table and realizes the 2016 version of the Scorpio wouldn't differentiate the two hardware revisions enough? If game journalists could get PS4 Pro specs before they were released by Sony, surely Microsoft could have as well.

You're getting espionage from that quote? The hell is going on in here.

Or they knew themselves what would be the best available tech to fit on the SoC for a 2016 release, had no idea what PS was doing, but made an educated guess (if at all) and decided they wanted to wait?

Microsoft effectively lost this gen from the beginning. Why would they wait an extra year for a hardware revision because of "the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay"? Any 2016 hardware revision would have well outperformed the Xbox One, which lagged behind the vanilla PS4. If Microsoft thought they were launching alone in 2016 with a hardware revision, they would have done it.

You're getting espionage from that quote? The hell is going on in here.

No, not from that quote, from the circumstances of these hardware revisions. You can look back at my post history, I suggested it before, sometime in 2016. I mean, if you all don't think corporate espionage is a thing in the business world, well, I don't know what to tell you. I have no proof it happened here, but I suspect that Microsoft's Scorpio plans either started or were changed after they caught wind of the PS4 Pro. Pure speculation, but it's not a wild conspiracy theory, it's completely plausible.

I have to say it seems MS are doing and saying all the right things so far regarding the Scorpio - looking like a day 1 purchase so far for me

Kayant

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 Tell me more.

Yes this is correct I remember when I was working we would receive monthly reports from our spies about our competition's plans.

I think you forgetting that said idea needs to be planned, priced, manufactured, platform features brought up etc before launch happens.

You said corporate espionage.

MilkyJoe

What's more likely, that Xbox is heavily involved in industrial espionage, or that MS aimed for the next level - 4K - and knew they had to wait to achieve it at a reasonable cost to the consumer?

Microsoft effectively lost this gen from the beginning. Why would they wait an extra year for a hardware revision because of "the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay"? Any 2016 hardware revision would have well outperformed the Xbox One, which lagged behind the vanilla PS4. If Microsoft thought they were launching alone in 2016 with a hardware revision, they would have done it.

But now they have a more appealing product that non xbox people may be interested in.

Ya it sounds to me like he wants to support VR, but he wants devs to be able to target all of VR as it's in such an infant stage. To grow VR he feels games need to be on all of the platforms, almost sounds like he doesn't want to do "exclusive" VR games.

Soooo if MS makes VR games does that mean they'll put them on everything? (other than PSVR obviously unless its Minecraft?)

No idea how to completely read what he said, just guesses.

No, it'll likely be exclusive to their store, but supporting all VR headsets, perhaps even PSVR.

Bsigg12

Someone call Fox News!

But now they have a more appealing product that non xbox people may be interested in.

And if they'd waited until 2018, they'd have an even more appealing product.

If you're losing the gen, I don't think you sit around and wait an extra year to do something about it unless your hand is forced.

I have to say it seems MS are doing and saying all the right things so far regarding the Scorpio - looking like a day 1 purchase so far for me

I want to be in that camp, I really do! Everything about Scorpio sounds great so far, but I'm trying to be realistic here. My Xbox One S will play 100% of the games that Scorpio does, so for me it'll come down to what the differences are. If Battlefront 2, Destiny 2, CoD WW2, and/or Overwatch look and perform noticeably better on Scorpio, they may just have my sale.

Saying that Scorpio will improve these titles is one thing, seeing it in action is another.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

If you're losing the gen, I don't think you sit around and wait an extra year to do something about it unless your hand is forced.

so why did sony even make a pro if they are winning this Gen so well, nobody forced their hand to

Madness

24gb of DDR5 RAM in the devkits... damn. Scorpio seems a no brainer to those of us with Xbox Ones. It makes our existing games look better and will allow better performance than the 720p/900p/1080pr crap we are used to. I didn't buy two 4K and HDR televisions last year just for nothing. All about that PS4 Pro an Xbox One Scorpio 4K future.

Somnia

No, it'll likely be exclusive to their store, but supporting all VR headsets, perhaps even PSVR.

Well the store part makes sense for MS, hence why I didn't mention that. Just mentioned that they don't want games exclusively tied to one VR device.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

but what if sony got wind Microsoft were doing a more powerful console and just undercut them by a year? then they have done espionage!!!!!!!!! wow lol

Top Bottom