• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Banned
So the fact that the Zelda attach rate is this crazy should tell us that the more Switch is being sold, the more BotW will be as well, right? Obviously it'll drop from 100% once other system sellers like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Odyssey release, but still it feels like this game is going to sell for a very long time.

Speely

Banned
So the fact that the Zelda attach rate is this crazy should tell us that the more Switch is being sold, the more BotW will be as well, right? Obviously it'll drop from 100% once other system sellers like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Odyssey release, but still it feels like this game is going to sell for a very long time.

I think it'll have good legs, especially if the DLC is well-done and advertised like at all. So many people haven't even gotten to play the game yet, and the word of mouth effect seems to be really strong for it.

Plus, good open world games tend to be pretty evergreen.

NimbusD

Guys the 100+ attach rate is either margin of errors in how they get data (most likely) or the fact that switch is region free means people in other regions are free to get it from Amazon or whatever if it's not available in their own region.

I agree with this. Similarly I believe the failure of the Wii U really forced them to try a little harder. Nintendo was pretty conservative with the Wii U concept - the Switch is a much more purposeful realisation of it and a much better product. Nintendo just didn't want to all out merge two consoles because they feared/fear it will eat into their profits - which it probably will and it's why they haven't definitively defined the Switch as a home or handheld console. Nintendo have always known that if they ever get into a rough spot their ace up their sleeve is merging their home and handheld consoles. They'd just prefer not to so they can make twice as much money. Hardware sales are a significant amount of profit for them - it's one of many reasons why they have never properly considered console third party development.
Nintendo has definitely defined Switch as home console since it was unveiled

night814

Concerning Zelda's sales it's important to note that this does not include digital sales which could make the attach rate even more rediculous. I imagine many more physical Zelda's were bought since most people picking up the system in stores also got Zelda at the same time.

Concerning Zelda's sales it's important to note that this does not include digital sales which could make the attach rate even more rediculous. I imagine many more physical Zelda's were bought since most people picking up the system in stores also got Zelda at the same time.

the figure comes from Nintendo and does include digital

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It sold more than any Wii U holiday and it launched in March. They still have the chance to screw it up, but with them still selling out of all their stock half way into April it's looking a bit more positive. Wii U's problems were seen after a huge drop off after its first holiday in January. I remember waking up to the news of the dreaded 50k. Came in as a bit of a shock after the holiday was a larger debut that PS3 and 360. Nintendo assembled an emergency direct but its fate was sealed.
They never did try as hard to save it as the 3DS. An improved bundle isn't as drastic as a $80 price cut and the pricing never improved.
Though I do think the Wii U was a necessary failure.
-It gave them HD experience as well as time to develop Zelda and the Zelda engine
-Taught them the difficulties of supporting two platforms
-Taught then the necessity of having development tools available (UE4, proper documentation, etc)
-They've seemingly gotten their act together in terms of marketing (years of developing the Nintendo directs, having actually good commercials)
-ending Wii U early seemingly allowed them to have a rich year 1 first party line up

The "supporting two platforms" bit is pretty important. With increased competition from not only consoles but mobile means there's probably less of a chance for someone to buy both Wii U and 3DS. They'd more likely just get one and the 3DS was more than enough for the casual Nintendo fan.
3DS ate into a ton of resources that could've gone to Wii U from game development to marketing. Why greenlight a Wii U game when it's so expensive in comparison and it'll sell better on 3DS.
Now that Switch is likely at least a decent success and 3DS support dies down there shouldn't be much getting in the way. It might be weaker but they can get a lot out weaker hardware like ARMS and BoTW show. They can also keep budgets down and experiment more.
Hope they keep it up and have a good e3. It's a good platform and Nintendo makes great games so it would be nice to not have discussions about how a new IP will perform as poorly as the wonderful 101
This is a fantastic comment

Magwik

Banned
I agree with this. Similarly I believe the failure of the Wii U really forced them to try a little harder. Nintendo was pretty conservative with the Wii U concept - the Switch is a much more purposeful realisation of it and a much better product. Nintendo just didn't want to all out merge two consoles because they feared/fear it will eat into their profits - which it probably will and it's why they haven't definitively defined the Switch as a home or handheld console. Nintendo have always known that if they ever get into a rough spot their ace up their sleeve is merging their home and handheld consoles. They'd just prefer not to so they can make twice as much money. Hardware sales are a significant amount of profit for them - it's one of many reasons why they have never properly considered console third party development.

I'd say that the 3DS sales of Smash Bros compared to Wii U is what really put the nail in the coffin.

Yeah, you think it is crazy now, just think of all those amazing games combined with it being the "must have Christmas present."

I think if you don't get it in the summer "down" period, you aren't getting the console until 2018.

I think your right. Nintendo finally had a steady stream of games in its first year. Mario is gonna break down the rim. A smash E3 date of fall and the game is broken.

I'd say that the 3DS sales of Smash Bros compared to Wii U is what really put the nail in the coffin.

It certainly would have been the definitive argument in meetings. Almost every other game could see a dismissal that they just wouldn't know how well something would sell on a handheld instead of a home console, and vice versa. Smash on 3DS, IIRC, did something close to 2:1 in terms of sales vs the Wii U version, even though it had to be the less demanding system to develop for.

That's just not economically justifiable, particularly for a company that has to be successful with regards to its gaming output or it is actually screwed.

donny2112

Let the flood of third-party games begin.

Japanese, sure. Western, not likely. Most probably, they had nothing planned, they're firmly entrenched in Microsoft/Sony ecosystem, and Nintendo is late to being in the same ballpark for porting. If they get anything out, it'll probably be useless copies of 1-2 Switch or late ports at full price with no extras that won't sell, etc, etc. Indies, Nintendo, and Japanese third-parties. If you're happy with that, you've got good hopes going forward. If you're not, then you may be in for another disappointing gen riding a Nintendo system.

Kureransu

It sold more than any Wii U holiday and it launched in March. They still have the chance to screw it up, but with them still selling out of all their stock half way into April it's looking a bit more positive. Wii U's problems were seen after a huge drop off after its first holiday in January. I remember waking up to the news of the dreaded 50k. Came in as a bit of a shock after the holiday was a larger debut that PS3 and 360. Nintendo assembled an emergency direct but its fate was sealed.
They never did try as hard to save it as the 3DS. An improved bundle isn't as drastic as a $80 price cut and the pricing never improved.
Though I do think the Wii U was a necessary failure.
-It gave them HD experience as well as time to develop Zelda and the Zelda engine
-Taught them the difficulties of supporting two platforms
-Taught then the necessity of having development tools available (UE4, proper documentation, etc)
-They've seemingly gotten their act together in terms of marketing (years of developing the Nintendo directs, having actually good commercials)
-ending Wii U early seemingly allowed them to have a rich year 1 first party line up

The "supporting two platforms" bit is pretty important. With increased competition from not only consoles but mobile means there's probably less of a chance for someone to buy both Wii U and 3DS. They'd more likely just get one and the 3DS was more than enough for the casual Nintendo fan.
3DS ate into a ton of resources that could've gone to Wii U from game development to marketing. Why greenlight a Wii U game when it's so expensive in comparison and it'll sell better on 3DS.
Now that Switch is likely at least a decent success and 3DS support dies down there shouldn't be much getting in the way. It might be weaker but they can get a lot out weaker hardware like ARMS and BoTW show. They can also keep budgets down and experiment more.
Hope they keep it up and have a good e3. It's a good platform and Nintendo makes great games so it would be nice to not have discussions about how a new IP will perform as poorly as the wonderful 101

it's funny you mention this because Reggie was quoted saying this:
Reggie Fils-Aime said:
"I think that was Mr. Miyamoto, during his last visit to New York, to say, 'I hope that the users consider the Wii U as a necessary step to get to the Switch,'

HeroR

Agreed. Of course digital "counts". A game's a game. The size of a game doesn't determine how good it is. Tetris was a phenomenon, but any small game like that now is likely a barely noticed indie title...unless it catches on. Like arguably the most popular game in the last decade, Minecraft.

The Wii U is a bad system, but it still exists in this age where games release at an unprecedented rate, and reaped at least some benefit from that. It survived, and received its fair share of games. But it never got a killer app like Mario 64 or Wii Sports, nor a breakout hit like Pokemon or Minecraft. It was an afterthought, almost - rarely mentioned alongside its competition. That was never true of its predecessors. Even the oft-maligned Gamecube was never denied the status of legitimate competitor.

The Switch is shaping up to be a different beast altogether. It'll be interesting to see how its identity forms in the public consciousness.

The Wii U did get a breakout hit. It is called Splatoon, a game that got Japanese into shooters.

Yeah, Switch is Wii U done right.
Taking advantage of Wii U's low adoption rates with Wii U ports to Switch would be pretty smart

So far, there has only been two games ported to the Switch, Zelda and Mario Kart. The Switch isn't a port machine for those who missed the Wii U.

Neoxon

The Wii U did get a breakout hit. It is called Splatoon, a game that got Japanese into shooters.
And while Splatoon was a hit, it was ultimately held back by the Wii U. Super Mario Maker was also a hit, but again, the Wii U held it back (& if you ask me, Nintendo's YouTube policies also held SMM back from being even bigger).

HeroR

And while Splatoon was a hit, it was ultimately held back by the Wii U. Super Mario Maker was also a hit, but again, the Wii U held it back (& if you ask me, Nintendo's YouTube policies also held SMM back from being even bigger).

Being held back doesn't matter since the argument was that Wii U had no break out hits like Nintendo's other consoles, which is factually untrue. And the Gamepad made a game like Mario Maker possible, so it took full advantage of the Wii U hardware. The same with Splatoon whose sequel got gimped because you don't have the map to always look at.

And you need some facts to prove that Nintendo's Youtube policy held back Mario Maker.

Neoxon

Being held back doesn't matter since the argument was that Wii U had no break out hits like Nintendo's other consoles, which is factually untrue. And the Gamepad made a game like Mario Maker possible, so it took full advantage of the Wii U hardware. The same with Splatoon whose sequel got gimped because you don't have the map to always look at.

And you need some facts to prove that Nintendo's Youtube policy held back Mario Maker.
The YouTube policy thing is more of my opinion than anything else (hence the "if you ask me" part), especially with how YouTuber-friendly the concept of SMM is.

HeroR

The YouTube policy thing is more of my opinion than anything else (hence the "if you ask me" part), especially with how YouTuber-friendly the concept of SMM is.

If you're going to say something hurt sells, something that can be physically seen, you need more than an opinion, which is my point. Especially since Youtube isn't the majority of anything.

Neoxon

If you're going to say something hurt sells, something that can be physically seen, you need more than an opinion, which is my point. Especially since Youtube isn't the majority of anything.
To be fair, YouTube's pretty big in this day & age. Correct me if I'm wrong, but part of what helped Minecraft become as big as it is was YouTubers playing it on their channels.

So far, there has only been two games ported to the Switch, Zelda and Mario Kart. The Switch isn't a port machine for those who missed the Wii U.

Oh, but it's going to be. I have no doubt Switch will receive enhanced versions of Smash Bros. and Super Mario Maker (though the latter may have enough new content added to look more like a sequel), among other titles. Feel free to hang onto this post and make me look stupid in a year or so if I end up being wrong.

It's more of a minor surprise hit than a "breakout". It's sold, what, 1.5 million in Japan, 5 million worldwide. How many systems did it move?

You can't seriously tell me it's in any way comparable to the titles I named: Pokemon, which extended the Game Boy's life by years and sold, what, like 30 million copies in its first iteration? Or Minecraft, which has sold over 100 million copies across different platforms and is still going.

edit: "factually untrue", that's hilarious. And please, learn the word "sales". "Sells" is a verb.

Neoxon

Oh, but it's going to be. I have no doubt Switch will receive enhanced versions of Smash Bros. and Super Mario Maker (though the latter may have enough new content added to look more like a sequel), among other titles. Feel free to hang onto this post and make me look stupid in a year or so if I end up being wrong.
I could see Nintendo opting for a Super Mario Maker sequel, but the likelihood of Smash 4 getting ported depends on if it's announced at E3.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Getting three Wii U games doesn't make it a "port machine".

gICS94y.gif
gICS94y.gif

bomma_man

It's more of a minor surprise hit than a "breakout". It's sold, what, 1.5 million in Japan, 5 million worldwide. How many systems did it move?

You can't seriously tell me it's in any way comparable to the titles I named: Pokemon, which extended the Game Boy's life by years and sold, what, like 30 million copies in its first iteration? Or Minecraft, which has sold over 100 million copies across different platforms and is still going.

edit: "factually untrue", that's hilarious. And please, learn the word "sales". "Sells" is a verb.

Splatoon would've been the highest selling new IP in Japan on the PS2. Given the state of the Wii U, and the market in Japan generally, it did insanely well.

Guys the 100+ attach rate is either margin of errors in how they get data (most likely) or the fact that switch is region free means people in other regions are free to get it from Amazon or whatever if it's not available in their own region.

No, it's from people buying more than one copy (special/master/regular editions) and buying the game without buying a Switch yet.

Getting three Wii U games doesn't make it a "port machine".

I agree! Hence this:

:)

disco

Nintendo has definitely defined Switch as home console since it was unveiled

Yes but didn't the current president come out lately with some vague comments about the 3DS' successor still being in an early R&D phase or just not being developed at all? Plus everyone who doesn't work for Nintendo is treating the Switch as though it were a handheld.

FinalAres

I agree! Hence this:

:)
Nah. Smash will be a full new game (it'll also not be released as soon as people hope) and possibly Mario Maker too. Obviously that's juts my prediction. My thinking is that Nintendo will stick to one game per generation for the appropriate series, and given the success of the Switch it doesn't need to roll out Smash in any rush.

I do however think we'll see ports of Bayonetta 1+2, XenobladeX, Mario3dworld, ZeldasHD. The singleplayer stuff.

Gradivus

It's a pity we don't get more European sales updates often.
If I combine the 3DS and WiiU's launch period sales together from previous information listed in here and in the Japanese Media Create threads, then compare it to the Switch's first month, it sorta looks like this...

Switch (March 2017)
Japan: 565,013 (First month)
US: 906,000 ( First month)
Total: 1,471,013

3DS (Feb/March 2011 to July 2011)
Japan: 1,306,156 (First 5 months)
US: 922,000 (First 5 months)
Total: 2,228,156

Wii U (Nov/Dec 2012 to May 2013)
Japan: 909,247 (First 5 months)
USL: 1,079,000 ( First 5 months)
Total: 1,988,247

Given the Switch stock issues faced in the US/Japan, plus all the news of the Switch selling great in Spain, France and so-so in other European countries (Correct me if I'm wrong here), I think it safe to say it's in a much better position than the previous two Nintendo devices.

Good for Nintendo!

noshten

First, until HZD passes Splatoon which will happen in the next month if it hasn't already Splatoon remains the biggest exclusive new IP on any system.

When talking about the Japanese console market - Splatoon is huge. It is 1.5 million physical and over 1.7 million with digital being included. This is after a full year of Nintendo not shipping too many Wii U consoles. Basically most Wii U's sold in the last two years in Japan can be attributed to Splatoon and Minecraft. Compare Splatoon's sales to FFXV and it's pretty clear how big it was.

Splatoon 2 coming to a portable device could definitely be a top 10 game in terms of sales in Japan. I think it will easily pass 5 million in Japan in it's first year on the market. Basically in Japan July/August summer holidays aligning with the Splatoon 2 launch might lead to more sales than the launch of the Switch itself.
Just in case you think I'm not being realistic SMM for 3DS sold what the Wii U version did over the course of the year in barely a few months. The majority of SMM sales on the Wii U were due to a bundle which people needed to buy in order to get Splatoon. Once SMM stopped being bundled it stopped charting on mediacreate, but still there was enough audience on the 3DS that ended up buying the port.
Splatoon 2 is a sequel coming to a portable device to the biggest new IP since the Wii days, the biggest console game of this generation in Japan, the sequel has generated 17,300 related videos on youtube in Japan for the last month alone, the amiibos are likely to be the top selling merchandise for the year and only DQ11 could possibly sell more than Splatoon 2 by the end of 2017 and that game is releasing on three different systems.

It's a pity we don't get more European sales updates often.
If I combine the 3DS and WiiU's launch period sales together from previous information listed in here and in the Japanese Media Create threads, then compare it to the Switch's first month, it sorta looks like this...

Switch (March 2017)
Japan: 565,013 (First month)
US: 906,000 ( First month)
Total: 1,471,013

3DS (Feb/March 2011 to July 2011)
Japan: 1,306,156 (First 5 months)
US: 922,000 (First 5 months)
Total: 2,228,156

Wii U (Nov/Dec 2012 to May 2013)
Japan: 909,247 (First 5 months)
USL: 1,079,000 ( First 5 months)
Total: 1,988,247

Given the Switch stock issues faced in the US/Japan, plus all the news of the Switch selling great in Spain, France and so-so in other European countries (Correct me if I'm wrong here), I think it safe to say it's in a much better position than the previous two Nintendo devices.

Good for Nintendo!

Well, to borrow a graph from the Media Create Sales thread, with regards to the Japanese sales:
switch_zpsz4dqzjhw.jpg

Even the Wii U was well ahead of PS4 for quite a while in Japan, when aligned. It's a matter of how well the legs hold.

jonno394

switch_zpsz4dqzjhw.jpg

Even the Wii U was well ahead of PS4 for quite a while in Japan, when aligned. It's a matter of how well the legs hold.

Wii U dropped dramatically after week 5 in Japan, i think sales dropped in to the teens and then sub 10k. Let' see how long Switch takes in the race to the bottom!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, to borrow a graph from the Media Create Sales thread, with regards to the Japanese sales:
switch_zpsz4dqzjhw.jpg

That's because they both they both sold like shit but the Wii u has decent Christmas sales which kept it ahead for a bit.

The switch is in no way the Wii u you should be comparing it to the 3DS.

Gradivus

switch_zpsz4dqzjhw.jpg

I agree. Thou I think the reason why the Switch is behind the Wii U in Japan at the moment, is because Nintendo focused moving more switches for the US launch.

There's around 110,000 difference between the Wii U and Switch after 6-week bracket in Japan. The Switch, having massive stock issues, is still selling a consistent 40,000 units per week. I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch took the lead in six weeks times (maybe even quicker if there's stock when Mario Kart arrives).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom