• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcania: Gothic 4 demo out

http://apa1.ams1.cdn.ip-exchange.de/ipexchange/cia2/Gothic 4 Demo.zip

or

http://download.pcgames.de/download...=Gothic 4 Demo.zip&t=mirror&article_id=746003

Runs pretty good on my system.
35-40fps is the lowest my fps drops with everything maxed out.

45909345.jpg

46002491.jpg

23439083.jpg

48449675.jpg

12204392.jpg

66430246.jpg

Eliciel

poor me, I will play a downgraded poorly ported version on the ps3... this looks phenomenal for a rpg like the gothic franchise.

Hell yeah I want to kill some bears :lol

TheVampire said:

Dat foliage! :D

What sort of system are you getting that performance on?

I'm away from my gaming PC for a couple of weeks so keep the screenshots and gameplay/performance impressions flowing.

Shadows look absolutely fantastic.

voady said:
poor me, I will play a downgraded poorly ported version on the ps3... this looks phenomenal for a rpg like the gothic franchise.

Hell yeah I want to kill some bears :lol

I'm morbidly curious how the PS3 version turns out, I'm expecting some pretty lulz worthy results.

My system is:

ATI 5850
Quad Core CPU i7 @ 3.2ghz
Win7
Solid state hard drive
6 gig ram

Around 35-40 is the lowest, usually around 50fps

Oh and there was this dumb option ticked to make it so when you get close to bushes and plants they dissapear which I thought was odd. Turned that off straight away.

Eliciel

brain_stew said:
I'm morbidly curious how the PS3 version turns out, I'm expecting some pretty lulz worthy results.

if it turns out to look nearly like Demon's Souls I'd be happy

I do say the gameplay "feels" alot better than Risen and the world looks heaps better too.
I also get better performance and over all I just hated Risen but Im really enjoying this game :D

Heres some more pretty pics

15199034.jpg

63081805.jpg

88786990.jpg

40079345.jpg

bloke

Played a bit, nothing much to complain about, plays and looks like Risen, actually looks bit better especially character models, runs fine on my mid-spec system (e8500@3.8Ghz, 4870, 4Gb, win7 64)...guess I'll be probably getting the game (PC ver.) at launch :)

eun8zo.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Thought this wasn't coming out till tomorrow! Will have to check it out tonight, to see how it runs/plays.

Gave it a whirl, yup love the graphics, does seem like Risen (ive only played the demo). I know nothing of these games but the more i see of them the more interested i get. Some screens -

BeeDog

The characters definitely are a step up from the Piranha Bytes games. Looking pretty damn swell, can't wait until I get home. :)

Dennis

Banned
As soon as I start up the demo the GPU fans go absolutely nuts. Like they are fighting for dear life.

About the demo itself - feels like a euro-RPG alright.

And you can't enter the water, WTF weak shit is that in a 2010 open-world RPG :lol

TheVampire said:
I do say the gameplay "feels" alot better than Risen and the world looks heaps better too.
Were you much of a fan of the previous Gothic games?

Risen was one of my favorite game from last year. Given the licence pass around for Gothic franchise since PB ditched JoWood, frankly I wasn't expecting anything remotely playable.

Considering the download source, is the demo in english?

Dennis

Banned
Joshua Hull said:
Were you much of a fan of the previous Gothic games?

Risen was one of my favorite game from last year. Given the licence pass around for Gothic franchise since PB ditched JoWood, frankly I wasn't expecting anything remotely playable.

Considering the download source, is the demo in english?
Yes

TheVampire said:
Oh and there was this dumb option ticked to make it so when you get close to bushes and plants they dissapear which I thought was odd. Turned that off straight away.

Oh neat. I hate it when some bad ass weapon gets dropped into the grass and you can never find it.

DennisK4 how come your foliage looks better?
Mines on max

What AA are you using?

Or are you supersampling or downsized the pictures or something?

Despera

Banned
No demo for the 360 version?

I might get the game for my 360 just to kick back, relax and play the game with the controller. But if the PC version is too superior then I'll get that one.

Of course the demo must be very impressive to justify a purchase. The next couple of months are ridiculous as is.

Ricker

Despera said:
No demo for the 360 version?

I might get the game for my 360 just to kick back, relax and play the game with the controller. But if the PC version is too superior then I'll get that one.

Of course the demo must be very impressive to justify a purchase. The next couple of months are ridiculous as is.

Demo version for 360 is tomorrow last I heard,could be wrong though but i`ll wait,I doubt my PC can run this.

bloke

Demo was bit short, an hour, or maybe I was hurrying too much...guess I'll have to replay...also I think I got overpowered myself with equipment too quickly...

For some reason dungeon screenshots turned out really dark

34xnzgm.jpg

o0169z.jpg

Aon

The game is fulls of graphical bugs, at least for me, but runs pretty well on max with the same rig as the OP. Lots of the dialog and VO (Lyrca the witch...) is atrocious, but the actual plot behind it all is sorta cool. Combat weirdly satisfying, the world kinda nice to be in. Suffers from the problem where you can walk backward shoot arrows forever though.

I liked it a fair bit. Might well buy it when it comes out. Some CRPG ass CRPG.

Aon

I havn't played Gothic 3, but It's way better than risen. Has more of a "feel" to it and the rolling dodge is really satisfying. Although it's really really easy on normal.

Saty

The major annoyance was how blocking is handled - you can only block while standing in place, otherwise you just dodge roll around so you can't have the shield raised and step forward\backward.

Dennis

Banned
The "American Color Option" is for those who want garish Oblivion color. My pics are with the colder, less saturated "European" option. So silly :lol

There is no AA in the demo, but really, I didn't notice aliasing much.

Getting 25-30 with all settings at maximum. Normally thats plenty for me but in this game it feels stuttery.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DennisK4 said:
The "American Color Option" is for those who want garish Oblivion color. My pics are with the colder, less saturated "European" option. So silly :lol

There is no AA in the demo, but really, I didn't notice aliasing much.

Getting 25-30 with all settings at maximum. Normally thats plenty for me but in this game it feels stuttery.

'Colour' :p

Q9550 @ 3.4
GTX 460 @ 800mhz
4GB Ram

With everything maxed I'm getting around 30-35 fps in the village.

Turning off ambient occlusion and shadows down from ultra to high gives you quite a dramatic boost, adds about 10+ frames for me.

rallyart

Neo Member
So far I really liked a lot. The combat it is nice, graphics are good, and even when fps are low (33 - 40) run sweet.

Dennis

Banned
syllogism said:
I read some impressions on the official forums and apparently it's really easy even on hard
I played on Normal and that was pretty easy. I wonder if its just the demo though. Maybe they don't want to intimidate newcomers to the Gothic series.

But I agree that being too easy is a big problem. It kills the tension and sense of danger. One of the reasons I loved Risen was that exploration felt dangerous.

Top Bottom