• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asia Nikkei: Switch flips the script for Nintendo

ggx2ac

Link: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Switch-flips-the-script-for-Nintendo?page=1

There's only a few points of interest in this article.

One: Kimishima being cautious about their Switch hardware forecast.

Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima struck a cautious note with reporters on April 27, saying, "I don't think we can readily achieve the target [of selling 10 million consoles]."

Two: Another analyst firm thinks Switch can sell up to 14 million units by FY3/2018.

Based on the console's strong initial momentum, though, some analysts say Nintendo might do even better. Yasuo Imanaka at Rakuten Securities' research division said he expects to see 14 million Switches sold. Other market watchers, too, expect the company to beat the target.

Three: Nintendo was pushing what is most likely a Japanese third party for major titles. (Seeing as this article was written by Nikkei in Osaka.)

Not a few analysts have the impression that Nintendo has learned from its mistakes with its previous console, the Wii U. The company has sought to make it easier to create games for the Switch by expanding the scope of development tools. It is also pushing developers to expand the Switch game lineup quickly. An executive at one software company said Nintendo asked it to introduce major releases "as early as possible."

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
That first part is interesting- everyone reported that Nintendo thinks it'll beat the sales of the Wii, but in reality they're thinking less then 10 million. Time will tell, I suppose

Nice, WSJ reported analyst predictions of 14.5 million Switch hardware sales up until March 2018.

I'm thinking this holiday will have a massive influx of Switch shipments too.

LewieP

Ubisoft have been pretty quiet about Steep for Switch since the announcement, haven't they. I wonder if it's still happening.

Pretty much any of their other big games seems like it would be a better choice. Wildlands or nuAssassin's Creed, certainly.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Modest Nintendo is worst Nintendo

sinonobu

Banned
I'm trying to remember, I'm guessing it was a tweet from Takashi Mochizuki?

Yeah. I think the producer or one of the staff said something like "enjoy the 3ds version first" when he asked about possible Switch version.

Also during investor's meeting I think they said they're going to release a game if there's high demand for that platform.

That 10 million,really can't see them not hitting that target,at least so far...unless supply issues are really constrained

Still don't see Capcom jumping in after having nothing for launch. At best they saw it's early success and they're trying to put something together for late in the year. Been a bit paranoid after the 4chan rumor from like last year, but it feels like that's the case.
Hope Switch keeps selling, tho. Their software line up seems pretty fantastic and it would be nice if they had a console that wouldn't hold back their game's sales potential like last gen.

Still don't see Capcom jumping in after having nothing for launch. At best they saw it's early success and they're trying to put something together for late in the year. Been a bit paranoid after the 4chan rumor from like last year, but it feels like that's the case.
Hope Switch keeps selling, tho. Their software line up seems pretty fantastic and it would be nice if they had a console that wouldn't hold back their game's sales potential like last gen.

They have a Switch game releasing this month.

I'm not sure why them not having anything at launch is that relevant. We have devs that have confirmed major support and multiplatform titles like Koei-Tecmo that didn't have anything at launch either. I don't know why people were so set on the Switch getting a MH port from the 3DS. It's likely Capcom is just working on a new, actually HD, version. Plus USF2 is coming out this month

antonz

Only way they fail to reach 10 million for the fiscal year is massive production issues and or just complete sales collapse.

Was already reported the Screen Maker had an order for 10 million screens for the fiscal year in place already with the guidance that the order could be made even larger.

Kimishima is likely playing it cautious as for expectations being kept light. Always better to play it safe then claim the moon and fail to launch

sinonobu

Banned

Why is that 4chan rumor credible anyways?

I thought 4chan was mostly wrong with game rumors.

(Just out of curiosity)

They have a Switch game releasing this month.
I know, but they missed launch by like 2 and a half months.
Their only announced game is an overpriced SFIIHD port that they keep discounting to $2 on PSN.

(Just out of curiosity)
4Chan isn't credible, but it seems like something Capcom would do. On 3DS they had two Resident Evil games announced and launched the system with SFIV. Even on Wii U they launched with MH3U. You support the platform that will be home to one of your biggest franchise, USFII is not support.

Sorry if I sound like Nexeon where I keep bringing it up. Just a hunch

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TGS if anything.
Not necessarily ... If it's getting a simultaneous worldwide release a E3 reveal would make sense.

They have invested a lot into making the IP more popular in the west lately... So MH at e3 wouldn't be much different that Resident Evil or DMC being unveiled at e3.

For all wen know they could have MHXX Switch ready for this fall worldwide - so a E3 announcement would make sense. MH5 or whatever follows could be a TGS or later reveal.

antonz

(Just out of curiosity)

Even if the 4chan rumor is true it basically ended saying Monster Hunter Team was freaked out and rushing to get a MH for Switch because they expect the "Western Oriented Monster Hunter" to be garbage

13ruce

Banned
Well Splatoon sure will set Switch sales on fire in Japan so they kinda have to make a Monster Hunter for the Switch. It also still is a portable. I could see a ps4 version but the Switch version will surely outsell it.

Ps2 had a install base of 150m and the MH games on that did sub 1m. And Switch still has that portabilty aspect wich is the reason why MH took of like crazy.

Glad to see Nintendo's fortunes turning around, even for a moment. Japanese support will be constant but I've got a weird feeling that portable Skyrim is going to sell VERY well and maybe turn some western dev (non-indie) heads. I just hope EA and the like are planning some major support and not cash-grab Wii shovelware garbage again.

MTC100

Banned
I like Nintendo asking them to release games asap.

"Guys, we did our part and launched the System with the best game of all time along with the best Party game of all time(MK8DX), now bring your games or you miss the train!"

Third parties are already doing their best and start by studying the Switch library:

l0Exdh01otlonUb5K.gif

wildfire

Banned
Only way they fail to reach 10 million for the fiscal year is massive production issues and or just complete sales collapse.

Was already reported the Screen Maker had an order for 10 million screens for the fiscal year in place already with the guidance that the order could be made even larger.

Kimishima is likely playing it cautious as for expectations being kept light. Always better to play it safe then claim the moon and fail to launch

They are producing 10 million because they expect 10 million. Kimishima is managing expectations for investors (especially those who expect Nintendo to beat target sales by 40%.) but internally most people at Nintendo expect to to make 10 mil and slightly better.

ggx2ac

That 10 million,really can't see them not hitting that target,at least so far...unless supply issues are really constrained

The only times I remember hearing Nintendo having production​ issues which lead to shortages was the Wii for Disc Drives:

When it comes to its planning, Nintendo says it has not done anything wrong.

“We don’t feel like we’ve made any mistakes,” said George Harrison, senior vice president for marketing at Nintendo of America.

He said there was a shortage because the company must plan its production schedule five months ahead, and projecting future demand is difficult. He added that there had been a worldwide shortage of disk drives that had hurt Nintendo as well as makers of many other devices.

And then a shortage of something for the NES Mini Classic which caused production​ issues but I forget what and whether Kimishima or Reggie said it.

In comparison to Switch, its internal parts you'd think about is the SoC, the eMMC flash memory, LCD screen and the battery.

The SoC is just a stock Tegra X1 which is fabricated on a 20nm node which most companies don't use that node anymore so Nintendo shouldn't have problems from TSMC regarding its planning schedule and production.

The eMMC flash memory is 32GB, there have been shortages of flash memory in the previous year but that was to do with 64GB and 128GB which caused their costs to rise since they were scarce. If I remember correctly there are now more Chinese companies that manufacture MMC flash memory, I don't know which company the eMMC on the Switch belongs to.

LCD panels were actually in excessive supply that their costs dropped​ causing their manufacturers to lose revenue. Japan Display Inc is the company that produces the Switch's LCD screen, they had to get bailed out by the Japanese government last year so they used that money to invest in OLED panel manufacturing in which the OLED manufacturing plant that was made as a merger between Sony and Panasonic will now become a subsidiary of Japan Display Inc.

Batteries, I don't really know about Lithium Ion battery shortages, each Switch unit comes with three batteries with the main body having the biggest battery but the Joy-Cons have very small ones in comparison.

For Kimishima, modesty is the best policy, it keeps people's guards down when he gets Yakuza members outside your house to force you to buy Switches.

Hilarion

Just a reminder that that would be 10 million between April 1st, 2017 and March 31st, 2018, so not counting the 2.7 million they sold in March 2017. So Nintendo's forecast is 12.7 million total sold by April 1st of next year.

Even if the 4chan rumor is true it basically ended saying Monster Hunter Team was freaked out and rushing to get a MH for Switch because they expect the "Western Oriented Monster Hunter" to be garbage

Yeah that part is always weirdly forgotten

Top Bottom