• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony committed 13.3bn Yen for marketing deals / advertising partnerships in FY 2016

i know this is a controversy topic here as of late and people always wonder how much do they even pay for those deals. now you can have an idea

note: this is NOT ONLY the G&NS division and third party marketing deals. It's the whole Sony corporation. But this does NOT INCLUDE general marketing expenses for air time etc.
just long term marketing partnerships with other entities (like the UEFA or celebrities)

DBLlVn-W0AABOMg.jpg:large

FY 2015 was 15.7bn Yen
(don't find data for FY2014)
FY 2013 was 52.4bn Yen
FY 2012 was 53.8bn Yen

source:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/st...100/100_Consolidated_Financial_Statements.pdf

gtj1092

Doesn't​ seem like that much if this is for all of sony and ww. Kind of puts into perspective how much these things actually cost to the people that feel marketing deals are robbing them of first party games.

Hellshy.

Doesn't​ seem like that much if this is for all of sony and ww. Kind of puts into perspective how much these things actually cost to the people that feel marketing deals are robbing them of first party games.

It doesn't include air time fees or general marketing so if the partnership deal includes Sony paying for ads I would think the real cost if some deals would go up no?

MisterR

Doesn't even cost much, seems like a great idea to use them then. This to me would lend a lot of credence to the fact that these are much easier to get if you're winning the console sales wars. Makes sense since MS had the major ones last gen and PS has them this gen. That's how they were able to take COD and the like away from MS. It doesn't seem like any kind of bidding war at those prices.

mejin

It does help being market leader.

This is low compared to all that mind share and sales they get in return.

Hellshy.

That's really low, are we sure it includes game marketing deals?

It seems like it could but only in cures money that Sony pays to strike the deal but does not seem to include any money that might go into mare ting the game like air time fees.

what high profile marketing partnerships does Sony even have today anymore?
the (old) UEFA CL deal
but beside that?
anything i'm missing here?

in FY 2013 (April 2013 - March 2014) Sony committed 53.4bn yen btw. That's a whole different figure
Thats the year with the 10years Destiny deal ;)

14.1 million $ yeah that's not that much.
what?
$120 million

So this is just the bribery portion? Wouldn't the actual marketing costs be exponentially higher?
it's in the OP
just the rights for marketing, but that could include co-marketing expenses already
it's not that easy

thuway

There's something really off about that figure.

I imaging this number doesn't include things like third party specific discounts for co-marketed titles or profit sharing with PS Plus.

Shrug. If the number really is this small, I can't understand why Microsoft would let it all go.

greenegt

There's something really off about that figure.

I imaging this number doesn't include things like third party specific discounts for co-marketed titles or profit sharing with PS Plus.

Shrug. If the number really is this small, I can't understand why Microsoft would let it all go.

Sony is probably getting better prices on their marketing deals.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Strange comment. Phil Spencer not a huge fans of thrid party deal.
lol

Without any context nor knowledge how deals are accounted for over the years nor the split of what makes up what this is very pointless. I guess it's meant to enrage, but who?

Raven77

When all is said and done, 13 billion yen is about 10,000 of your American dollars, so that's not much really.

Lol serious post or joke??? It's 120 million us dollars.

Even with that being the case, it's not that much if it really does encompass everything. Not sure why this is even newsworthy.

Fdkn

Acquiescence always gets them, lol

FY 2014 wasn't only Destiny, they probably signed the CoD deal that year even if it didn't start until 2015 and maybe Battlefront too.

Kayant

What does "Programming" encapsulate?
The year with the Destiny 10 year contract ~$0.5bn (could've been also the CoD deal or something else and Destiny was the year before, don't know)
DBPaoK8XkAA5N20.jpg:large
Where is confirmed Sony is in a 10 year contract for Destiny?

Elandyll

Banned
$120m is pretty much chump change at that level, specially when you are involved with Sports.

Their sponsoring of the UEFA alone takes a huge amount of that.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...rketing-and-Sponsorship/Champions-League.aspx

An industry source said the multi-year deal with Europe's most prestigious club football competition is worth "high eight figures per season." It will run through the '17-18 campaign. The new deal will incorporate not only PlayStation, currently the official gaming partner of the UEFA Champions League, but also the Sony Mobile brand, closing out the mobile device category (for the '15-18 cycle) that is currently held by HTC.

Not sure what Hans's "I'm a Scorpio" angle is here tbh.

yurinka

Yes, to pay to be a UEFA Champions League sponsor should be very expensive.
now everyone will know you get can FIFA and Call of Duty on a Playstation. Money well spent.
That's really low, are we sure it includes game marketing deals?
Doesn't seem like that much, but again we don't know if this includes cod and destiny deals.
Acquiescence always gets them, lol

FY 2014 wasn't only Destiny, they probably signed the CoD deal that year even if it didn't start until 2015 and maybe Battlefront too.
It says "sponsorship contracts", so it's to be the sponsor of stuff like to put the PlayStation banner in soccer or basket matchs, the UEFA Champions League tv ads, eSports championships, tv shows or similar, not to agree a exclusive marketing deal with a 3rd party game.
The year with the Destiny 10 year contract ~$0.5bn (could've been also the CoD deal or something else and Destiny was the year before, don't know)
DBPaoK8XkAA5N20.jpg:large

The 10 years Destiny deal was between Activision and Bungie. It wasn't related to Sony.

Not a lot of cash for the entirety of Sony.
Plus the UEFA deal must be a boon for publicity and associating Playstation around the world with Champs League (except America)

$120m is pretty much chump change at that level, specially when you are involved with Sports.

Their sponsoring of the UEFA alone takes a huge amount of that.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...rketing-and-Sponsorship/Champions-League.aspx

Not sure what Hans's "I'm a Scorpio" angle is here tbh.

wow so you're salty about a news topic.
some user here hit new lows every day...

The Uefa deal renew is FY2015 and in the 15.7bn Yen figure

The 10 years Destiny deal was between Activision and Bungie. It wasn't related to Sony.
i remember
but to what 10 year deals would Sony refer here if it's not the same?

Elandyll

Banned
wow so you're salty about a news topic.
some user here hit new lows every day...

The Uefa deal renew is FY2015 and in the 15.7bn Yen figure

i remember
Not salty, asking what your angle is.
Edit: as clearly that doesn't reveal much of anything, except that they're not spending all that much on marketing outside of the UEFA deal since 2014.

If you had read, you would have seen that the cost is High 8 figure -Per Season-, and running through 2018.

So it's way less than previous years.

Don't forget a combined ad campaign with the market leader is also very beneficial for the publisher in question. It's not like Sony's the only one profiting from it and thus would have to pay tons of money.

yurinka

dkHwMqwnH.png

Seems that they are going to spend a lot of money in 2018. I assume it's because they know that are going to have an historical line-up of great games like Gran Turismo, Spiderman, FFVIIR, GoW, Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Shenmue III, Detroit, Dragon Quest XI, Days Gone etc. and want to make sure their console and games are very well advertised during this period.

i remember
I don't know which ones exactly, but should be deals to sponsor UEFA Champions League, NBA, F1, eSports championships, trading shows like GamesCom, conferences like GDC, tv shows or stuff like that. PlayStation sponsors things like that, they aren't talking there about marketing deals with 3rd party games.

When 1st party makes a marketing deal with a 3rd party game it's just for a few months around launch (to put videos in the PS channel, articles in PS blog, highlight it in PSN store, show it in the E3/GC/TGS PS booth, maybe make a console bundle with this game, pay ads mostly on tv, etc), and separate deals are made for each separate game in the 3rd party IPs (this is why you see CoD/AC marketing deals in a console and next year you see the next game of the same IP in the other, or why a Monster Hunter is exclusive for a console and the next MH is exclusive to another).

10 year contracts? I guess Xbox players might be mad for 7 more years.
To place a PlayStation or God of War banner when sponsoring a sport event or a tv show won't affect Xbox players.

dkHwMqwnH.png

Seems that they are going to spend a lot of money in 2018. I assume it's because they know that are going to have an historical line-up of great games like Gran Turismo, Spiderman, FFVIIR, GoW, Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Shenmue III, Detroit, Days Gone etc.
Bless your heart for putting games like DS and FF7R in that list

Justified

Yep. Most is also probably due to 3rd party approaching Sony because of their market share

Seems that they are going to spend a lot of money in 2018. I assume it's because they know that are going to have an historical line-up of great games like Gran Turismo, Spiderman, FFVIIR, GoW, Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Shenmue III, Detroit, Dragon Quest XI, Days Gone etc. and want to make sure their console and games are very well advertised during this period.

was even more last year:
DBPna59XoAArwLw.jpg:large

edit: nvm you're not talking about the G&NS programming content contracts

Elandyll

Banned
dkHwMqwnH.png

Now that's a lot more interesting imo (but again this is for the whole of Sony, not just Playstation).

With that much between 2018 and 2020, I can only imagine it's going to be spent on massive ventures.

Imo:
- Soccer (back with FIFA?)
- Mobile (trying to contract with Verizon & Co and take HTCs spot?)
- Electronics push? (TVs, Cameras...)
- Olympic Games (2020) would probably be a major expense
- PS Vue expansion (international?)
- PS5 in 2019

And of course marketing deals for PS as well.

Just my opinion, but Sony planning to invest 200b Y in 2018 marketing is a much bigger deal that 13.3b Y in 2016. My 2cps.

I don't know which ones exactly, but should be deals to sponsor UEFA Champions League, NBA, F1, eSports championships, trading shows like GamesCom, conferences like GDC, tv shows or stuff like that.

Sony does not have any long term marketing partnership deals with the NBA or Formula 1 i'm aware of
and trading conferences or TV shows don't result in over 50bn Yen commitments

UEFA Champions League and Activision with Destiny and CoD. That's the biggest ones
what other big global sponsorships do they have?

Elandyll

Banned
Sony does not have any long term marketing partnership deals with the NBA or Formula 1 i'm aware of

UEFA Champions League and Activision with Destiny and CoD. That's the biggest ones
$80m+ a year for UEFA until 2018

They also seem to have a multi year deal with the Fiesta Bowl (College Football)
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/11...-front-foot-with-college-football-sponsorship

Sony has a PGA open in Hawaii, that's gonna eat a few $millions
http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/sony-open-in-hawaii/sponsors.html

Etc.

Lol is this a serious post? MS was king of 3rd party deals last gen
This gen they've been pretty active too.

EA "unprecedented partnership for $400m", Crystal Dynamics & Tomb Raider "Exclusive, Holiday 2015", Fallout 4 "Mods only possible on Xbox One", etc.

yurinka

Bless your heart for putting games like DS and FF7R in that list
Why? One is published by Sony, the other has a marketing deal of a remake of a game very attached to the PS brand. They are going to be very important for Sony even if not developed in-house.

When I said "I don't know which ones exactly" I was mentioning some examples of events or tv shows that the PlayStation brand could/would be sponsoring, I didn't know if Sony was sponsoring these or other events.

In any case thay talk about sponsoring stuff, not about securing exclusive marketing deals with 3rd party. So Sony isn't talking about marketing deals with Destiny and CoD in the quoted part of this document.

Imo:
- Soccer (back with FIFA?)
- Mobile (trying to contract with Verizon & Co and take HTCs spot?)
- Electronics push? (TVs, Cameras...)
- Olympic Games (2020) would probably be a major expense
- PS Vue expansion (international?)
- PS5 in 2019
Yes, it should be stuff like this. I don't know if they also sponsor E3, GDC, MWC, TGS, Gamescom, CES, etc. but I'd bet they also may sponsor some of these.

Chobel

Why? One is published by Sony, the other has a marketing deal of a remake of a game very attached to the PS brand. They are going to be very important for Sony even if not developed in-house.

Very low chance they hit 2018

Top Bottom