• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout: New Vegas Getting Xbox 360 Exclusive DLC

LQX

I don't get how some will suddenly not buy the game for the PC or PS3. If you don't have a 360 or plan to get one then why deprive yourself of a game you liked enough to pre-order especially if that DLC is truly exclusive to the other system? You then miss out of the whole game over DLC you would not even get because its on a system you don't own. Odd.

Just be smart about it. Buy the original game, play it to death, sell it when you are done and save the money towards the inevitable GOTY edition to play the add-ons.

LQX said:
I don't get how some will suddenly not buy the game for the PC or PS3. If you don't have a 360 or plan to get one then why deprive yourself of a game you liked enough to pre-order especially if that DLC is truly exclusive to the other system? You then miss out of the whole game over DLC you would not even get because its on a system you don't own. Odd.

Just be smart about it. Buy the original game, play it to death, sell it when you are done and save the money towards the inevitable GOTY edition to play the add-ons.

This. Very odd to me as well.

duckroll

LQX said:

Some people believe in voting with the wallet. It's not like there aren't other games to play.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
duckroll said:
Some people believe in voting with the wallet. It's not like there aren't other games to play.

Normally, I'd agree. As a PS3 owner that was really only looking forward to this, GT5 and LBP2, I'm a little disheartened. Talk about shit luck.

crowphoenix said:
I really want to pick this game up for the PC, but I had the original on the 360. Hmmm. I don't like this decision. Should I wait for the PC GOTY edition? Suck it up and buy PC anyway? Or cave, succumb, and become part of the problem?

If you've got a PC that can run this at higher-end settings I would say go with the PC. That's what I'm doing.

Hopefully the exclusive DLC is either unsubstantial or comes out quickly for other platforms.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Can't Microsoft just get out of gaming already? Release AoEO then leave everyone alone so this shit doesn't happen anymore.

Fixed1979

Is there really that much value in doing something like this for either MS or Bethesda? I can see Bethesda doing it if MS were paying them enough cash, but how much is enough to cover what they would have made up on the PS3 and for any upset fans not to matter. I don't see how Fallout DLC is worth spending additional money on just to keep it out of the competitors hands. I really don't understand this choice by either company.

I was pissed about the last DLC after I bought the game for PS3, I'll be buying for PC this time, but not until the GOTY edition is released.

Dyno

Wow! This has such the opposite intended effect here on GAF. I really don't understand their logic. If you have a PC, a 360, or a PS3, you're going to buy for whatever system you have if you want it. If you have more than one then you have choice but still, you're only going to buy one. Why the focus on 360 unless they think that 360 only owners who might not buy the game would be enticed with this exclusive DLC deal, which to me doesn't seem likely. Add to that you piss off hardcore gamers because we don't like these shady deals.

Is Bethesda simply doing the moneyhat shuffle, for the up-front money alone, knowing that GAF and the like will grumble but get our single copy anyway?

It's not entirely evident.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
LQX said:

I vote with my wallet. Platform exclusive DLC is a utter bullshit and one of the worst trends of this generation. It deprives gamers content in favour of manipulating the market purely for financial gain. It hurts consumers, but pays for business.

Just like I try and avoid buying games in Australia due our rigid censorship, and import most my entertainment, I too refuse to buy products supported by unfair business models.

The game might be amazing and I was somewhat looking forward to it. But I'm quite happy to pass it up than buy into Microsoft and Bethesda's horse shit.

graywolf323

well I'm gonna cancel my Steam pre-purchase and get refunded

if the DLC comes to PC in 6 months well I'll buy the game in 6 months

not like I don't have plenty of other stuff to play right now (SCII, Civ V, still gotta beat Fallout 3, etc.)

Judging by the quality of official DLC, this doesn't bother me in the least. Besides which the PC gets what is essentially a limitless supply of free DLC.

PS3 owners get screwed though.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Why don't they want me to buy their game? I seriously doubt I'll buy it full price now. Before it was up in the air, I was a bit on the fence. I'm excited for the game, but I need to play through Fallout 3 again. So I'm going to take my time with that and then buy this game when it is on sale. Hopefully by then this won't be exclusive anymore.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Dyno said:
Wow! This has such the opposite intended effect here on GAF. I really don't understand their logic. If you have a PC, a 360, or a PS3, you're going to buy for whatever system you have if you want it. If you have more than one then you have choice but still, you're only going to buy one. Why the focus on 360 unless they think that 360 only owners who might not buy the game would be enticed with this exclusive DLC deal, which to me doesn't seem likely. Add to that you piss off hardcore gamers because we don't like these shady deals.

It is not about 360. It is about the fact that if I wanted to buy the PC or PS3 version, I'd actually miss out on relevant content, which if substantial, can be several hours worth.

not to mention that this kind of exclusivity does nothing, NOTHING AT ALL for the consumer, except deprive a large part of them of said content.

Unless the DLC is really brahmin armour. Then I'd take back everything I've said. :lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
duckroll said:
Want to play this game badly. Don't want to support this nonsense. What to do, what to do. :(

Wait until the inevitable GOTY edition w/ all of the DLC included...and then buy it second hand.

Fixed1979

Majine said:
Hmm, should we expect a GOTY edition? Don't think it'll do as good as Fallout 3.

They can call it what they will but I'd be absolutely shocked if (once the DLC has all been released) there's not some sort of all encompassing budget package.

snap0212

LQX said:

I don’t get how anyone could support a company that makes those decisions, either. Console exclusive DLC shows how much a company does not care about their fanbase and how much they’re focused on making money. Sure, it’s a business, but it’s me (part of the fanbase) who spends money on their product. If they feel like my money is worth less than the money from someone who buys it for the Xbox 360, then I’m not going to support them.

Against this. Exclusive DLC is stupid. So is retailer exclusive content. This shit needs to end.

Still, I'm getting this for 360 so I'm sure I'll get the DLC day one, assuming I'm as absorbed into this as I was Fallout 3 (which just yesterday I finally wrapped playing all the DLC with Mothership Zeta which sucked).

Peff

Dyno said:

Is Bethesda simply doing the moneyhat shuffle, for the up-front money alone, knowing that GAF and the like will grumble but get our single copy anyway?

It's not entirely evident.

Bethesda gets free money now.

A vast majority of potential buyers will get the game regardless.

A vast majority of the rest of potential buyers will end up getting it on a sale or getting the GOTY edition.

The actual DLC gets dashboard/fanboy marketing push.

Darklord

Banned
LQX said:

Because it feels like they've cheapened the other versions. It's like a book series comes out. There is 3 in the series. You can buy the first one, but can only buy the other 2 on a Kindle. Sure, you get to read the entire book but you feel like you're missing out so why bother at that point?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anasui Kishibe said:
I don't care, really. I bet you ten it will be out for PC eventually

Even if it doesn't modders will probably just rip the content from the X360 release and convert it into a PC release.

Dennis

Banned
Breaking news!

*** PC-exclusive content in the form óf mods for New Vegas ***

modders said:
"We fixed Oblivion and made Fallout 3 the game it should have been and now we do Vegas"

Haeleos

Another one down for waiting for the Game of the Year Edition. I'm not supporting this shit, and I'm glad other people are voting with their wallets. There are so many other games out that I can stand not to waste my time on this.

Xater

duckroll said:
Want to play this game badly. Don't want to support this nonsense. What to do, what to do. :(

Wait for the GOTY edition that will come with all DLC.

I think that is what I will do. I learne dmy lesson from Fallout 3.

Nirolak said:
I wonder if this stuff will happen with Brink and Rage as well. : /
I shan't be pre-ordering either as a result. Having played a round of Brink's payload mode, too.
Not my problem developers.

Dabanton

LQX said:

Half of it is posturing you'll see the same people in the official thread talking about the game when they get it on launch day. As for exclusive DLC it is an annoying practice but come on we know why they do it. Especially for single player games with no online it makes one version more attractive when the diference comes down to joypad preferences or achievements or trophies.

I hope people against DLC and other exclusive content are this angry the next time someone like say... EA announces another PS3 special edition for their game.

As i notice the general tone when people ask if content is coming for other platforms in those threads is "deal with it".

GreekWolf

RoboJ said:
Looks like I'm never playing this. Thanks for ruining everything, Microsoft!
Wah, wah...what a bunch of mewling. How many people lamented Rocksteady for giving PS3 owners exclusive Arkham Asylum DLC? Not many, from what I remember. :lol

Whatever "exclusive" content is released for 360 will eventually be enjoyed by everyone when GOTY editions are released. I'm surprised people are still feigning outrage over the same song and dance we've see all generation.

ShogunX

Ysiadmihi said:
Can't Microsoft just get out of gaming already? Release AoEO then leave everyone alone so this shit doesn't happen anymore.

Yeah because we all know its only MS who do this kind of stuff

Surprised that so many people are bothered by this mainly due to the fact that if the DLC is significant it will no doubt make its way on to other platforms somewhere down the line. Microsoft will always go after the big games with deals like this so when announcements like these come along it shouldn't be much of a shock to anyone.

I just hope that the people in here canceling their pre orders of the game will also be doing the same for every game that has this kind of shit. Then again GAF is the king of double standards.

EatChildren

Fixed1979 said:
Is that even possible?

Depends on how robust the Fallout mod editor is. I never played with Fallout 3's, so I dont know. Theoretically though, there shouldn't be too much stopping them from ripping all the assets and what not.

It's probably much harder than I'm making it out to be :p.

Shogun PaiN said:
I just hope that the people in here canceling their pre orders of the game will also be doing the same for every game that has this kind of shit. Then again GAF is the king of double standards.

I'm fairly certain that I dont own a single game in my collection that suffered from platform exclusive bullshit. So yeah, some of us stick by it.

DennisK4 said:
Breaking news!

*** PC-exclusive content in the form óf mods for New Vegas ***

Pfft. This is a gaming forum! People have to complain.

But yeah, PC gets mod tools. I'd like to have the DLC, but honestly would take the mod tools over it any day of the week.

Truespeed

If this was for free DLC then I would probably have an issue. But, since it's for content that will probably cost 800 space bucks - I really couldn't care. Give the 360 all the pay for exclusive DLC you want.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Visualante said:
Not my problem developers.
I'm sure if it was up to the developers they'd release it for everyone. I mean, its obvious that publishers with no real hand on the development make these kinds of decisions. At least I hope. When you make something creatively, you usually want to share it and for people to just enjoy it. Not for it to be used in a way that is inexcusably anti-consumer.

McNum

Was on the fence whether to get this or not, now I'm thinking... not. I'll just wait for the eventual compilation in a year or so. There's plenty of interesting games coming out before Christmas, anyway.

Shurs

I'm getting this on 360, but exclusive DLC is lame, especially when you know it will come to PS3 at some point.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ysiadmihi said:
:lol 360 exclusive DLC is worth it just for reactions like this. There's always a sunny side people, even if you have to wait a little longer for your fun (plus GOTY editions are where it's at).

Shogun PaiN said:
I just hope that the people in here canceling their pre orders of the game will also be doing the same for every game that has this kind of shit.
You're right, I don't remember canceled pre-orders because of Case Zero.

jax (old)

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Wah, wah...what a bunch of mewling. How many people lamented Rocksteady for giving PS3 owners exclusive Arkham Asylum DLC? Not many, from what I remember. :lol

Whatever "exclusive" content is released for 360 will eventually be enjoyed by everyone when GOTY editions are released. I'm surprised people are still feigning outrage over the same song and dance we've see all generation.

Nah. At the end of the day, fact that there'll be a goty edition with all dlc and with cheaper to boot, makes the wait okay.

I'm debating whether or not to get it Now. I love fallout buti do hate nickel and dimeing dlc content. Didn't buy the re5 dlc and got rewarded at the end when re5gold came out and it even got move patched. :lol :lol

Everyone who chooses not to get it can play olenty of other games

Fixed1979

It's also a little odd that this is out tomorrow and we're just finding out about it today? Orders have been placed online, preorders have been made, there's going to be lots of people who won't be able to take advantage of the 360 DLC, and lots of people who have the PS3, PC version ordered who aren't going to know about it until it's too late. The whole thing seems really fucking sketchy.

Top Bottom