• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Fodder76

Fodder76 said:
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

So is there a different .elf file that I'm supposed to have in place of the Hackmii one?

When I try to boot up it tells me it can't find the .elf file, and no Gecko OS found.

I have the gecko files in the apps/ folder....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Clipper

Fodder76 said:
So is there a different .elf file that I'm supposed to have in place of the Hackmii one?

When I try to boot up it tells me it can't find the .elf file, and no Gecko OS found.

I have the gecko files in the apps/ folder....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
You need to rename gecko's .dol or .elf to boot.dol or boot.elf, the same thing and location that the Hackmii Installer is meant to be located.

Jzero

Can Gecko OS load a game(Channel) from the SD card? because i can't seem to do it, only from the system memory, if not is there an App that can do that?

Clipper

Jzero15 said:
Can Gecko OS load a game(Channel) from the SD card? because i can't seem to do it, only from the system memory, if not is there an App that can do that?
Yes, the Wii Menu will do it for you.

I'm trying to run a game off my 4gb sdhc card but I can't seem to get it to work.

I have my configurable loader and other homebrew (emulators) on this card but I also want to use the card to run a wii game. This is possible right?

I partitioned the card so that one partition is fat (the homebrew, loader), and the other partition is wbfs with my wii game on it.

When I try to boot up the game in usb loader it freezes the system instantly and just hangs on the "booting wii game please wait" screen. It says "IOS249" in brackets below. I have to hard reset the system after this.

I am on v60 of the usb loader. Any suggestions?

Clipper

criesofthepast said:
I'm trying to run a game off my 4gb sdhc card but I can't seem to get it to work.

I have my configurable loader and other homebrew (emulators) on this card but I also want to use the card to run a wii game. This is possible right?

I partitioned the card so that one partition is fat (the homebrew, loader), and the other partition is wbfs with my wii game on it.

When I try to boot up the game in usb loader it freezes the system instantly and just hangs on the "booting wii game please wait" screen. It says "IOS249" in brackets below. I have to hard reset the system after this.

I am on v60 of the usb loader. Any suggestions?
Did you change config.txt to remove the line device=usb or replace it with device=sdhc?

Fodder76

Clipper said:
You need to rename gecko's .dol or .elf to boot.dol or boot.elf, the same thing and location that the Hackmii Installer is meant to be located.

Ergg sorry to keep bugging you with this. I feel like I'm close but I haven't had success yet.

I did this, and after telling me it successfully loaded the .elf file, it said:

'no valid elf image detected, retrying'

What stupid thing did I do now?

Clipper

Fodder76 said:
Ergg sorry to keep bugging you with this. I feel like I'm close but I haven't had success yet.

I did this, and after telling me it successfully loaded the .elf file, it said:

'no valid elf image detected, retrying'

What stupid thing did I do now?
I'm not sure. Not all homebrew can be launched in this manner, and perhaps Gecko OS is like that. You might need to use SSBB to launch a different app called LoadMii and then boot Gecko from there.

Or just bite the bullet and install the HBC. ;)

Clipper said:
Did you change config.txt to remove the line device=usb or replace it with device=sdhc?
Yes even the settings file that the wiki says holds more importance than the config file. But yeah I changed it to sdhc.

It strange because USB thumb drive works fine.

I'm thinking it's some kind of compatibility issue with the card. Is SD better than SDHC?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
criesofthepast said:
Yes even the settings file that the wiki says holds more importance than the config file. But yeah I changed it to sdhc.

It strange because USB thumb drive works fine.

I'm thinking it's some kind of compatibility issue with the card. Is SD better than SDHC?
Have you tried not having two partitions? You can have the whole thing as a FAT partition.

Fuzzy said:
Have you tried not having two partitions? You can have the whole thing as a FAT partition.
So I can have my usb loader and the actual wii games on the same partition? Is that what your saying? I didn't try that, no. I will now.

Fodder76

Clipper said:
I'm not sure. Not all homebrew can be launched in this manner, and perhaps Gecko OS is like that. You might need to use SSBB to launch a different app called LoadMii and then boot Gecko from there.

Or just bite the bullet and install the HBC. ;)

Once installed, is it impossible to remove? Or will the next firmware update get rid of it?

Clipper

Fodder76 said:
Once installed, is it impossible to remove? Or will the next firmware update get rid of it?
It is removable, but there will still be indications that it was on your system at some stage and those are very hard to remove.

alf717

Clipper said:
It is removable, but there will still be indications that it was on your system at some stage and those are very hard to remove.

Any chance you could go into a little more details about that? I thought the major issue was the message board logging and the save data HBC creates? From my understanding cIOS's can be removed so I assumed removing cIOS' and formatting the Wii to remove message board logs would be good enough? If not then I'm wondering if it is too late for my main console I use to buy VC and WiiWare titles with.

Well anyway off to my two quick question about data tranfer, does an app exist that could help me transfer save data from one console to the other including data that is locked? ex. The Conduit, Animal Crossing? etc...

Is backing up shop channel data considered a grey area for talk around here? I'll ask in more detail if it's OK to fire off this type of question, I figure I would ask since I experimented with HBC on my main Wii but after what Clipper said I'm a bit on the paranoid side now.

Edit:

Clipper said:
1) No clue why that would be. I guess they ma have changed the power output on later Wiis, though.

2)You need to add ntfs_write=1 to config.txt to use NTFS drives.

3)You can add install_partitions=iso to config.txt to make it create .iso files instead of .wbfs files.

4)I'm guessing the data that is damaged is not important. However, there's no way to trick Cfg into reading a damaged disc, but you could try other USB loaders for the installation as some don't bother checking for read errors.

5) Yes, it can be removed.

Thanks for the tips,my HDD is behaving with the original cable but no other cables seem to provide enough power.

Silent Hill is shot and unfortionatley I dont have the $20 Konami needs to send a replacement so I guess I'll wait for the game to drop in prices or see if I can scrounge up the dough for a replacement.

CFG is really a neat little program and I must say this is really a convienance to have. Would it be possible for me to add higher res box art so it is more legible on my TV screen? Or is this just a limitation of the console itself?

Clipper

alf717 said:
Any chance you could go into a little more details about that? I thought the major issue was the message board logging and the save data HBC creates? From my understanding cIOS's can be removed so I assumed removing cIOS' and formatting the Wii to remove message board logs would be good enough? If not then I'm wondering if it is too late for my main console I use to buy VC and WiiWare titles with.
There's some other stuff there. Nuking it all is near impossible. None of it affects your Wii Shop, so it is perfectly safe to buy stuff. The only thing you risk is Nintendo refusing to fix the Wii in the case of it dying. That shouldn't happen, though.

Well anyway off to my two quick question about data tranfer, does an app exist that could help me transfer save data from one console to the other including data that is locked? ex. The Conduit, Animal Crossing? etc...
There are a few. StartPatch and SaveGame Manager to name a few.

Is backing up shop channel data considered a grey area for talk around here? I'll ask in more detail if it's OK to fire off this type of question, I figure I would ask since I experimented with HBC on my main Wii but after what Clipper said I'm a bit on the paranoid side now.
I consider it a black area. There is no benefit to doing it as the Wii already provides a perfect method for backing it up to SD cards.

CFG is really a neat little program and I must say this is really a convienance to have. Would it be possible for me to add higher res box art so it is more legible on my TV screen? Or is this just a limitation of the console itself?
You can use change the URLs to take the High Quality covers from WiiTDB. However, they won't look much different to what they do now as the Wii output is locked to a maximum of 480p.

Futureman

so I installed the Homebrew Browser yesterday. Everything was fine during the installation, it got to the part where it says it is downloading graphics files and that you can skip if you want, but it's recommended not to. After it did that, there were two error messages, the screen got all garbled for like 2 seconds, and then it loaded the Homebrew Browser...

so I'm not sure if I did something wrong? HBB seems to be working, so I guess I'm fine, but it feels rather unpolished (not sure if this has to do with the error messages I got during installation, or if it IS just kind of unpolished).

The only reason I downloaded the HBB was I wanted DVD playback. So initially I downloaded the MPlayer TT, but it says I need the DVDx stub for it to work. From what I could gather, you can only get the DVDx stub through HBB. I downloaded the DVDx thing through HBB, ran it in the Homebrew Channel and it said it installed. But when I go into MPlayer TT and try to play a DVD, it still fails. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

For kicks, I decided to download WiiMC for DVD playback, but it was basically unusable.

Warren Ellis said:
which is the best homebrew app for playing (original) american/japanese gamecube games on a pal wii ?
Gecko OS but it does have the issue of some games throwing up consistent disc read errors unless the disc is ejected and re-inserted before these would appear. Finding when these happen and how to avoid is all you can do really.

Apart from that it has all the limitations of a real Gamecube using a freeloader such as some Japanese games not having the correct font and of course Japanese saves unusable on a real Japanese Gamecube (as the memory card format is incorrect).

Speaking of which, has there been any progress on gamecube backups being able to be loaded through something like configurable? I want to put my GC games on the same hard drive as my Wii games so I can make gaming on my wii even easier.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So: problems.

I've tried to install my Brawl DVD into the HDD, but during the process two "read (-2)" erros showed up. Does that really mean that my disc is fucked up, or there's some way to fix it?

crispyben

Any news on Kirby's Epic Yarn re: homebrew? I'm a lowly Euro peasant who wants to play the game this year, which means a US copy on my HBC-equipped 4.3 PAL Wii. Thanks!

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
crispyben said:
Any news on Kirby's Epic Yarn re: homebrew? I'm a lowly Euro peasant who wants to play the game this year, which means a US copy on my HBC-equipped 4.3 PAL Wii. Thanks!

Playing from disc shouldn't be a problem but in case it has a new copy protection it might take a couple of days before you can play in an usb loader.

Trying to rip my Netflix dvd to my sd card to run it in usbloader. When I run it, it says: Error - CIOS249REV18, CIOS22V4, CIOS223V4, CIOS224V5 or higher required to start games from a FAT partition.

So I need to update cios249, right? Do I just follow this part of the wiki (http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249) to update it?

nvm. working now.

Clipper

IOS236 Installer v5 has been released that should solve the crashes that some people were getting without their Wiis connected via wireless Internet. I can't test it myself as I'm on holiday right now.

Brazil said:
So: problems.

I've tried to install my Brawl DVD into the HDD, but during the process two "read (-2)" erros showed up. Does that really mean that my disc is fucked up, or there's some way to fix it?
Try it again. Hopefully it was only a one time problem.

Futureman

I had a System Menu 4.3 system. I used the Indiana Jones exploit to mod my Wii.

All I did was add the Home Brew Channel and some stuff to launch from in there (emulators, DVD player).

Is there a way to flash my system back to stock 4.3? I also bought two WiiWare games, and it would be nice to keep those, but if it's not possible, whatever.

any help?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Clipper said:
Try it again. Hopefully it was only a one time problem.
Unfortunately, it wasn't. And my disc is fine, apparently. I've tried a few more times, and it never worked. And then yesterday I bought Other M, tried to install it, and it also gave me errors.

I think my launch Wii's drive is dying. :/

Guess I better play Other M with the disc spinning noises in the background before it dies completely.

Clipper

Futureman said:
I had a System Menu 4.3 system. I used the Indiana Jones exploit to mod my Wii.

All I did was add the Home Brew Channel and some stuff to launch from in there (emulators, DVD player).

Is there a way to flash my system back to stock 4.3? I also bought two WiiWare games, and it would be nice to keep those, but if it's not possible, whatever.

any help?
You already have a stock 4.3 Firmware. The HBC is just a channel stored on your Wii. It is very difficult to remove all trace of the HBC unless you took precautions earlier, but there is no need for you to remove it unless you have reason to send your Wii into Nintendo for repair.

Will a large (8 or 16 GB) flash drive function the same as USB storage? I don't really plan on playing it on the Wii, I just wanted to rip the games so I could then play them through emulation?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EphemeralDream said:
Will a large (8 or 16 GB) flash drive function the same as USB storage? I don't really plan on playing it on the Wii, I just wanted to rip the games so I could then play them through emulation?
Yeah, before I had my external hard-drive I stored my Netflix disc on an 8gb SD card/USB reader. You should be fine.

vazel

Banned
When trying to rip Brawl to my 8GB SD card it didn't have enough space. It says I only have 5.87GB of 7.39GB free. The homebrew apps folder is only taking up 6.57MB. Is this normal for SD cards?

Edit: nvm a format fixed this issue.

So my wife went to put WiiFit in and she said it loaded up fine, but now when we put it in the disc channel just says "System Update." I'm on 4.2U and WiiFit has never wanted a system update before so I find it kind of odd. I installed it to my flash drive to prevent any problems, but does anyone know what's up? Was I right to be wary?

Clipper

Affeinvasion said:
So my wife went to put WiiFit in and she said it loaded up fine, but now when we put it in the disc channel just says "System Update." I'm on 4.2U and WiiFit has never wanted a system update before so I find it kind of odd. I installed it to my flash drive to prevent any problems, but does anyone know what's up? Was I right to be wary?
I have no clue why Wii Fit would do this, but there is nothing to worry about. You can block the update from prompting you by using the Avoid Disc Updates techniques in GWHT.

The Technomancer

Okay, yeah, something's up, because I just popped in my copy of Sakura Wars and it prompted me for a Firmware Update before I could play. That's never happened before.

I'm following the tutorial to block updates.

EDIT: Damn, the download for 4.2 US can't be found. Anyone know where else I can get one?

Fixed1979

Just hoping for a bit of clarification here. I'm sure I'm reading it right, it just seems a little strange.

"You will need to wait at least 24 hours for the stage from the Smash Service to be automatically deleted before trying to run this exploit. DO NOT go on Wi-Fi once the Smash Service stage is deleted."

So I actually just deleted the three replays and now I have to wait until tomorrow night before I can do anything else? I have the boot.elf in the root of my SD card but nothing is happening when I load the stage builder in the vault.

EDIT: Do I need the private and/or private-old folders on my SD card or is the only thing that matters the boot.elf?

EDIT2: Well that's 24 hours and still nothing. I'm assuming I missed something but I'm not sure what.

EDIT3: Alright HBC installed, I thought I was on 4.3 but it was 4.2. Excellent! So my biggest reason for doing this was to play imports, anything else cool I need to try out?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is anyone else having problems with cfg usb loader 60? It gets stuck on the cfg start screen 4 out of 5 times so I went back to 58 which starts every time.

I'm running 4.2, cIOS56 20b @ 249 and using a wbfs hdd.

Hey guys, quick question.

A long time ago I soft-modded my Wii and installed The Homebrew Channel. I just saw on Engadget that there is a Netflix application available in the Wii Store I would like to try out but I need to system update first.

I've never gotten around to toying around with homebrew so I don't really care about losing THC, am I safe to perform a System Update? (4.0 to whatever the latest version available is)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
dope4goldrope said:
Hey guys, quick question.

A long time ago I soft-modded my Wii and installed The Homebrew Channel. I just saw on Engadget that there is a Netflix application available in the Wii Store I would like to try out but I need to system update first.

I've never gotten around to toying around with homebrew so I don't really care about losing THC, am I safe to perform a System Update? (4.0 to whatever the latest version available is)
Do not do a system update.

Go to the GAF homebrew wiki, it will show you how to update the shop channel without updating your firmware.

Guess we really do have to link it on every page, so:

OK I'm really dumb here. Is it just me or does VBA GX run at half the refresh rate? Is there something I'm missing? Is there a better emulator out there? I thought I remember reading that VBA GX was suitable for playing Mother 3, which would make the problem I'm having a huge issue for playing Mother 3 (since the audio appears out of sync). I'm running the latest version linked from WiiBrew...

The Technomancer

Okay, looks like I need to upgrade to 4.3 to get the Netflix channel. According to the Wiki I can safely use Nintendo's update process, and I just need to reinstall 222/223, 249, and the HBC afterward?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, looks like I need to upgrade to 4.3 to get the Netflix channel. According to the Wiki I can safely use Nintendo's update process, and I just need to reinstall 222/223, 249, and the HBC afterward?
No. You don't have to upgrade to 4.3, you just have to update the shop channel. Follow the instructions at the wiki.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/wii-shop

The Technomancer

Htown said:
No. You don't have to upgrade to 4.3, you just have to update the shop channel. Follow the instructions at the wiki.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/wii-shop
Hm, okay, using DOP-shop wouldn't connect to my network, so I followed the procedure to use DOP-Mii instead. It said that it installed the shop channel fine, but when I try to go into the shop channel I get a blue-screen error and a "eject the game disc and power off" message.

CO_Andy

Dragona Akehi said:
OK I'm really dumb here. Is it just me or does VBA GX run at half the refresh rate? Is there something I'm missing? Is there a better emulator out there? I thought I remember reading that VBA GX was suitable for playing Mother 3, which would make the problem I'm having a huge issue for playing Mother 3 (since the audio appears out of sync). I'm running the latest version linked from WiiBrew...
Gotta take whatever we can get in console homebrew scene. Is the audio issue really that bad? I might try Mother 3 tonight to hear.

VBA is a bit resource intensive, so i'm not surprised at all it doesn't run 100% on the Wii. Still, it's not THAT bad. I'm currently playing Shantae on it, and have also dabbled in a bit of Wario Land 4 as well. I do notice a music looping error, but it only happens every 20 minutes or so, and it's only on-screen for a fraction of a second. Even Nintendo's Game Boy Player couldn't emulate the GBA flawlessly.

CO_Andy said:
Gotta take whatever we can get in console homebrew scene. Is the audio issue really that bad? I might try Mother 3 tonight to hear.

VBA is a bit resource intensive, so i'm not surprised at all it doesn't run 100% on the Wii. Still, it's not THAT bad. I'm currently playing Shantae on it, and have also dabbled in a bit of Wario Land 4 as well. I do notice a music looping error, but it only happens every 20 minutes or so, and it's only on-screen for a fraction of a second. Even Nintendo's Game Boy Player couldn't emulate the GBA flawlessly.

Oh I wasn't in any way trying to take homebrew coding for granted. I just wanted to know if I was missing something in the options or somesuch.

It's a shame because SNES9XGX runs fantastically... The game I was playing was Megaman Zero games. Apparently, VBA GX runs GBC/GB games great, so that's good to know.

When I do Dop-Shop, I'm able to go all the way to a version 50 for the shop channel. According to the wiki, it says to install v20. Is that still the case?

Nabs

Dragona Akehi said:
Oh I wasn't in any way trying to take homebrew coding for granted. I just wanted to know if I was missing something in the options or somesuch.

It's a shame because SNES9XGX runs fantastically... The game I was playing was Megaman Zero games. Apparently, VBA GX runs GBC/GB games great, so that's good to know.

i didn't have any trouble with m3, but i'll play a little tomorrow and see whats up. and yeah, snes9x runs so well. yoshi's island :)

CO_Andy

Tried a few GBA games yesterday on VBA GX, and it's total blah. Music and fps hiccups every 2 minutes totally dilutes the Mother 3 experience, especially the battle rhythm.

Snookie

So my wii has had the black glitching problem for quite some time now and its just gotten to the point of unplayable. I want to send it in to nintendo but I do have homebrew installed? Do I try to virginize it or do they even bother checking for it? I would of course remove any hints of homebrew from the channels but I'm not sure if I need to go all the way with it.

Top Bottom