• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where things were patched in that should've been included from the start v1.0.1

Alphahawk

So I'm doing the free weekend for Deformers has going on, and if you don't know the whole thing is in service to a huge title update they got going on. One of the more significant additions is a Tutorial mode as well as the ability to play the game's split screen mode without needing PSplus or Xbox live? Wait what? Yeah, the game shipped to retail without either of these things in tack, with them not being added until a little over a month later. And I know what you think, that tutorials are trash, but this game seriously needs one. Even people who bought the game were pretty much confused as to how to play it apparently.

So that got me thinking about other games that shipped without significantly basic functions that were patched in later. Can you guys think of any?

Rellik

Yeah, when Bioware drop games without the feature to edit your character. They always patch it in later (DA:I, ME:A) but that shit should be there from the start.

When you think about it, pretty much every patch ever made should have been there from the start. Wether it's features or bug fixes, what you get on disc most of the time these days is incomplete.

valkyre

Final Fantasy XV 2016-2020 pretty much covers this thread. Hell they are even launching patch surveys asking people what to patch in this game that should have been offered day 1...

In my book, a clear winner.

cDTl3nb_thumb.jpg

Mr-Joker

Banned
Language option in Breath of the Wild, it would have been nice to switch languages at the start of the game and not after I have finished it and had to endure Zelda faux English accent. ¬_¬;

Alphahawk

Tony Hawk 5 - The Game (Disc-Version)

The game still sucks, though.

To be fair, the patch was a day 1 patch, meaning everyone with an internet connection could get it, but yeah launching with a patch larger than your game is embarrassing, and apparently the only thing that actually was on the shipped disc was a tutorial.

Nick_C

Outside of this:
When you think about it, pretty much every patch ever made should have been there from the start. Wether it's features or bug fixes, what you get on disc most of the time these days is incomplete.

Blizzard patched in Loot 2.0 and dropped the real money auction house. Two things Diablo 3 needed at launch.
Besides working servers.

Ravek

Banned
Battlefield 1 with it's ribbon system and Giant's Shadow
a terrible map, but still should have been there day 1

I understand these aren't basic functions in general, but for BF they kinda are.

Edit: a "training" map that helps players learn the vehicles, guns, (console speaker) controller settings and so on.

Bog

Junior Ace
So we, as English speakers, are just going to accept "should of", huh? I think I need to learn a new language.

NBA Playgrounds still doesn't have online play on Switch, despite the greyed-out menu option.

TacosNSalsa

Street Fighter 5 shipped with 0 penalty for rage quitting. You kept your win streak and points. It was like what in the actual fuck yo...y'all should know better than that . It was a nightmare

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lego Dimensions wouldn't even let you enter the first story level without a patch because of a bug.

LAIR should have had regular stick controls instead of just motion control from the start.

And any SF should have an arcade mode. Supposedly that patch is coming soon in the rumored Super SFV update. I don't know.

abracadaver

Quake 2: multiplayer maps
Bioshock: disable vita chambers
Yooka Laylee: all the stuff that will be in this months update like better camera and the option to disable/skip the annoying voices

BHK3

Banned
Uncharted 4s motion blur slider. The game turning into a soupy Vaseline mess every time you turned the camera was terrible.

Gattsu25

Banned
FFXIV is my pick.

It was easily the least enjoyable MMO I have ever played when it first launched. Square lost years of development time because they had to scrap everything and completely redesign the game from scratch and while they were redesigning the game they stopped charging the monthly fee for (IIRC) at least a year.

It's now generally considered one of the better cooldown based MMOs out there.

Pretty much every MMO has this going on, with tons of simple quality of life stuff that should have been day one.

WoW is probably the only exception to this. That game was ahead of its time when it launched and it took years before other MMOs could catch up.

Wait, what the fuck am I talking about? Ultima Online is likely the only exception to this.

Zenner

Not console, but EverQuest shipped with a broken crafting system. It was possible to create a whole bunch of items (clothing, armour, jewelry, food, etc), all of which had no stats assigned to them. Sure, you'd raise the relevant Skill by doing the motions... but the resulting item itself was always a zero-stat dud.

I think it was sometime after Velious (second expansion) that Baking (and other trainable skills) finally paid off.

Wouldn't be such a big deal to me, except the Prima guide (that I'd been studying for weeks before playing) had made such a big deal about how important crafting was... a good 18 months or so before it finally showed up in game... and meaning that it was supposed to have been in there from the start. :'(

KDR_11k

Blaster Master Zero shipped without classic controller support on Switch. Like, how do you screw that up?

For an older example, I got Outcast in a collection of games (obviously a long time after the initial release) and there was a patch for the installer included because the game wouldn't install otherwise!

Top Bottom