• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Is this video game literally about the belief that women are lesser than men and should just stay at home and cook and raise the kids?
KmpDjSb.png

It sounds pretty dumb.

Sotha Sil

NeoGAF : Burner Accounts With Opinions Edition

"Please inform me on this Gamergate business, which I have never heard about though they make some interesting points, I shall say"

So, "let's keep an open mind and have an open dialogue unless it's something I disagree with"?

How you got from what I said to what you said is beyond me, given I make no prescriptions whatsoever about what is or is not acceptable as a general part of discourse.

What I listed were aspects of modern social justice activism/rhetoric/philosophy that I happen to disagree with and think could be used in a potentially interesting way as part of the overall tapestry of a society depicted in a dystopic science fiction work.

Silvard

If I had a penny every time someone came into a thread asking "what's the big deal guys? Why the outrage?" while acting like some sort of devil's advocate and then revealing they're ignorant of even the basic premises of the discussion when they're called out (some with the gall to ask to be educated after they've argued for ages) then maybe I could buy an Xbox One X.

Necro900

idk, I'd say the brouhaha at Evergreen State University of late demonstrate how contemporary social justice activism can get driven to extremes. I also have problems with the critical theory/gender studies "Gender is entirely arbitrary, socially constructed, and performative, with no correlation to underlying sexual biology whatsoever, and also here's my vaguely poststructuralistic hot take on why that seemingly innocuous thing someone said is actually a perfect embodiment of their privilege and internalized ____-ism/-phobia", which seem to be somewhat what this guy takes issue with, although hitching your horse to the harassment machine that was GamerGate sure looks bad for him.

Are you me?

Also, yes, this guy seems to take issue with the (inevitable, as for any movement) extremist and luckily minor side of modern feminism. Too bad he's putting everything in the same pot.

MauroNL

Can someone bring me up to speed of all the nonsense surrounding this game. It looks cool but why does this thread have 58 pages for crying out loud

Monarch

Banned
NeoGAF : Burner Accounts With Opinions Edition

"Please inform me on this Gamergate business, which I have never heard about though they make some interesting points, I shall say"

If I had a penny every time someone came into a thread asking "what's the big deal guys? Why the outrage?" while acting like some sort of devil's advocate and then revealing they're ignorant of even the basic premises of the discussion when they're called out (some with the gall to ask to be educated after they've argued for ages) then maybe I could buy an Xbox One X.

Once again, I know what GG is in broad lines, not the details and it's perfectly fine in my opinion since it seems to be a very US-centric event and you could have guessed I'm not living in the US :)

And for the record I joined NeoGaf 6 years ago !

milkham

Can someone bring me up to speed of all the nonsense surrounding this game. It looks cool but why does this thread have 58 pages for crying out loud

KmpDjSb.png

people saying they can separate the artist from the art, people dropping in without reading the thread to say the game looks awesome, usual defense posts (what is gamergate?) detective work on the guy's liked tweets and french tweets that show he hasn't really changed

WonderzL

Banned
idk, I'd say the brouhaha at Evergreen State University of late demonstrate how contemporary social justice activism can get driven to extremes. I also have problems with the critical theory/gender studies "Gender is entirely arbitrary, socially constructed, and performative, with no correlation to underlying sexual biology whatsoever, and also here's my vaguely poststructuralistic hot take on why that seemingly innocuous thing someone said is actually a perfect embodiment of their privilege and internalized ____-ism/-phobia", which seem to be somewhat what this guy takes issue with, although hitching your horse to the harassment machine that was GamerGate sure looks bad for him.

Having a problem with gender theory is one thing, siding with GamerGate and liking transphobic tweets is another. Also, feminism is so much more than gender theory.

Primus

Once again, I know what GG is in broad lines, not the details and it's perfectly fine in my opinion since it seems to be a very US-centric event and you could have guessed I'm not living in the US :)

Haven't needed to bust out The List in a while.

Read this, then read it again, then come back later.

wandering

Banned
How you got from what I said to what you said is beyond me, given I make no prescriptions whatsoever about what is or is not acceptable as a general part of discourse.

What I listed were aspects of modern social justice activism/rhetoric/philosophy that I happen to disagree with and think could be used in a potentially interesting way as part of the overall tapestry of a society depicted in a dystopic science fiction work.

Misread your post. Though it's kind of weird that you equate critical theory with that

Having a problem with gender theory is one thing, siding with GamerGate and liking transphobic tweets is another. Also, feminism is so much more than gender theory.

Of course it is, but those are arguably what distinguish modern feminism from the more general view that women should not be discriminated against nor denied equality of opportunity.

However, I do not know this guy nor the strength of his attachment to Gamer Gate. Shitty as that movement was, I imagine there was a peripheral contingent of people participating in it that bought into the false "the harassers are just a handful of assholes" narrative and simply liked that it was pushing back against the notion that cleavage in games is inherently sexist and harmful and guys who like it should feel bad, and other of the more extreme positions that have unfortunately become associated with "feminism in gaming" thanks to misinformation BY the aforementioned hard core of GG assholes.

SaniOYOYOY

Does modern feminism stopped believing in women rights and equality of opportunities?

we achieved that already trough the second wave yes?

modern feminism only talks about fabricated rape cases and mythical wage gaps statistics that they pull out of their personal survey. They dont want equality anymore, they want more

have they ever talked about the situation in middle east? my guess is never because they only care about people who lived less miserably then they are

Sotha Sil

I love how supporting Gamergate only "looks bad for him". Bad optics! Minor downside. Jesus Christ Snowman. If the Evergreen State University is the only example you can give of the nefarious influence of "social justice activism", think about Gamergate's track record and guess which potential dystopia (social justice gone mad/alt-right) is the more probable and the more destructive.

modern feminism only talks about fabricated rape cases and mythical wage gaps statistics that they pull out of their personal survey. They dont want equality anymore, they want more

have they ever talked about the situation in middle east? my guess is never because they only care about people who lived less miserably then they are

Fascinating.

The burner accounts that are in this thread has all the usual gg hallmarks on them.

Gg and their ilk needs to seriously go away. It's embarrassing that some of you even defend that shit. Should be an automatic ban and completely wiped out from this site clean

Oh no what are you doing

I do not know this guy nor the strength of his attachment to Gamer Gate.

He wanted to put Vivian James in the game.

Also, the term "feminism won" doesn't send up red flags for you?

Well, it's been fun and all but I don't see the point in discussing further the matter at hand with (repeated) answers like these. A shame really.

The answers are repeated because they are the answers. Do you expect someone to write "gamergate had a gun to his mothers head"?

Ketkat

Well, your guess is wrong. Its possible to talk about two different areas of the world at the same time. Its not one issue now, we'll deal with the other one later. And if you think things are equal right now in western society, then you really need to actually listen to women.

Feep

Banned

Amazingly, this does not appear to be a troll account

WonderzL

Banned
Of course it is, but those are arguably what distinguish modern feminism from the more general view that women should not be discriminated against nor denied equality of opportunity.

However, I do not know this guy nor the strength of his attachment to Gamer Gate. Shitty as that movement was, I imagine there was a peripheral contingent of people participating in it that bought into the false "the harassers are just a handful of assholes" narrative and simply liked that it was pushing back against the notion that cleavage in games is inherently sexist and harmful and guys who like it should feel bad, and other of the more extreme positions that have unfortunately become associated with "feminism in gaming" thanks to misinformation BY the aforementioned hard core of GG assholes.

I mean, ok, someone disagreeing with gender theory. This person feels like discourses are being silenced because of minority politics, not the other way around. This person makes a game about how the progressive discourse becomes the hegemonic one and how you are now a minority. That's, for me, plain and simple "everyone hates me, a gamer" fantasy. That really tells me what you really think about minorities telling their own stories, constructing their own discourses.

regarding the videogame part, that's not an opinion someone has.

I wonder if he knows the developer or something since he's in the game industry and lives in France as well, and maybe that's why he was wasting everyone's time and claiming not to know what GamerGate was.

Anyway, I guess we can all wait for the next person to come in and have the process repeat.

wtf?

clearestblue

Neo Member

Where do I even begin with the nonsense in this comment

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

What the fuck is this?

Define modern feminism

There are people who are feminists (like myself) who believe in equal rights amongst men and women. I live in Britain where equal rights have come an extremely long way over the last 100 years, there are still a ways to go, especially in educating the minds of the ignorant, but I am extremely proud of my country and where we as a nation are heading.

There are going to be dickheads no matter what group you look at, there are asshole feminists who are bitter towards men and love to play the victim card every chance they can, there are idiotic gamergaters who cannot fathom that a woman can become 100x more than they ever could, there are well educated nazis and there are highly ignorant white knights.

The point i am trying to make is that not everyone is always speaking from the same experiences with one another. Everyone has their own slightly skewed view, no one is perfect. People do and say repulsive shit when trying to voice an opinion and that's unfortunately what Tim has done. I hope that he has realised that what he does/says while in the public eye makes him wake up to something he has been ignorant towards, I truly do. I believe no one is going to bed tonight thinking to themselves "I want to be an evil person".

I suppose to try and stay more on topic, the idea of a "good movement gone too far" would be an interesting theme, it's at least something that's not done too often (although please do correct me if I'm wrong). I also believe that if this dev team couldn't handle the tone of their story delicately or effectively then the studio will suffer and to the other 99% of the worlds population that will never hear the name of this game uttered it will just be another day.

I look forward to the game and hope it's as good as it looks.

maxcriden

Wait I'm sorry what the heck is happening in this thread. Is there a recap? I just saw the trailer and then...what's happening exactly?

modern feminism only talks about fabricated rape cases

This right here cements you as an asshole. The rest of your post is.... something else. But talking about rape as if women just make it up....

I suppose to try and stay more on topic, the idea of a good movement gone too far would be an interesting idea for a setting

I agree. It's just that it is very clear in no uncertain terms that this game is coming at it from a propaganda stand point.

Magwik

Banned
Wait I'm sorry what the heck is happening in this thread. Is there a recap? I just saw the trailer and then...what's happening exactly?
Dev is alt right gamergater shit-heel
Got caught and said his views are old and is a reformed man versus his month old Twitter likes

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

You forgot the
/s
at the end.
Happens to the best of us

Monarch

Banned
The burner accounts that are in this thread has all the usual gg hallmarks on them.

Gg and their ilk needs to seriously go away. It's embarrassing that some of you even defend that shit. Should be an automatic ban and completely wiped out from this site clean

I hope you're not reffering to me ? It would hurt me !

He wanted to put Vivian James in the game.

Also, the term "feminism won" doesn't send up red flags for you?

The answers are repeated because they are the answers. Do you expect someone to write "gamergate had a gun to his mothers head"?

No, of course not. But I went in this thread optimistic about what the discussion would deliver. It did in some instances but I feel some kind of aggressivity.

True Fire

You're really going to sacrifice your throwaway for this shitty comment?

Volphied

lol, this post has all of it.

"fabricated" rape cases
"mythical" wage gap
want "more" than equality
whattaboutism about the middle east

lol

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about your cartoonish view of modern feminism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom