• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
PopcornMegaphone said:
I would argue reviewers need to stop thinking about traditional games when considering the potential of Kinect. My hope is they develop innovative games that compliment the platform.

True. Developers are really going to have be creative and think outside the box.

fernoca

Gary Whitta said:
I can see why this may be necessitated if the limitations of the sensor really limit game development, but man that would be a bitter pill to swallow. After all the hype over controller-free gaming, to release a controller for it would be a major climbdown :lol
No need to. :p
Since they consider Kinect as a platform/console, anything else to "enhance" it would be accesories/peripherals. Like Wii Fit, Motion Plus, Zapper, Wheel, etc.

unomas

Banned
Why is everyone so shocked by Kinectimals? The game could do huge numbers this month and especially next month. It was the one game my ex fiance was super excited for besides Dance Central.

Mindlog

SCHUEY F1 said:
True. Developers are really going to have be creative and think outside the box.

In this case the box is a standard size furnished living room.

hee haw!

I might check out connect when YDKJ hits.

YDKJ is the killer ap.

Shurs

knitoe said:
Thought it would get 5s given game is for little kids and not target audience of game reviewers. One of the games I was afraid of getting. Glad I did for my child.

Reviewers take into account the intention of the developer when critiquing a game. So if a game, like Kinectimals, is aimed at a younger audience, the reviewer should recognize that and review it accordingly.

LCfiner

well, the reviews seem to be what I was expecting (at least in text, if slightly higher in scores for a couple titles) and that has curbed my irrational “must have new tech” lust that almost got me to get this at launch despite my better judgment…

I look forward to seeing those TGS announced Kinect games and see if they work out. and for the price to drop a bit. (next Xmas??)

piratepwnsninja said:
Yeah, I don't think they are right at all on their thinking that MS is going to come out with a controller for their system where their tag line is you are the controller. Plus, it isn't even worth bringing the Star Wars game up. What they showed was a movie, it wasn't a game at all.

Will I be shocked if games end up using both the 360 controller and the Kinect at some point? Not really. Even though that also breaks the you are the controller slogan, it isn't something extra people have a buy a year after launch.
I actually think what he said makes a lot of sense. I think there will be some small handheld controller of sorts by next Christmas.

Zoe

PopcornMegaphone said:
I would argue reviewers need to stop thinking about traditional game support when considering the potential of Kinect.

Except they're supposed to be reviewing what's in front of them--not some pie in the sky that hasn't been demonstrated by anyone yet.

Adam J.

I'm over at my girlfriend's place playing it right now...

I set it up for her. The room we have it in is really dim and there isn't that much space, but it's working fine. Really digging the voice recognition, but the Kinect navigation is confusing the hell out of me (does it only work in the Kinect hub?).

Just played the dodgeball game on Kinect Adventures. God it sucks bad. It's unresponsive and just feels horrible. That goes for the game's menus and user interface as well-- very confusing and unintuitive which surprises me seeing as this is aimed towards casuals/families, etc...

We are about to pop in Dance Central. Hopefully it's better.

Sean

Banned
I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people do NOT have 7 to 8.5 feet of free space (especially apartments). Not everyone lives in a damn mansion with huge empty rooms.

That's going to be the biggest issue for Kinect IMO, they need to get that requirement down to 4 feet or less.

Zoe

Sean said:
I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people do NOT have 7 to 8.5 feet of free space (especially apartments). Not everyone lives in a damn mansion with huge empty rooms.

That's going to be the biggest issue for Kinect IMO, they need to get that requirement down to 4 feet or less.

4 feet is not going to give you a wide enough viewing angle.

owlbeak

I think this pretty much nails it:

The lack of buttons with the Kinect is a big, big problem. There are very basic things that none of these games do. Controlling a character in a third- or first-person game? There is no easy way to do that, so no one does. The racing game takes control of the gas and braking away from you, because there is no way for the player to control it. Bowling doesn't allow you to control when you let go of the ball. There were multiple times when I wished for a button or two so the software didn't have to hold my hand quite as much.
There's only so much they can do with this tech it seems. And don't the space requirements pretty much rule out everyone standing in line in NYC from having it work properly?

I'll wait and see how Kinect turns out, but I'm leaning toward Move for buttons, the ability to play all kinds of games, and a less kid-y experience.

Banned
Sean said:

You can get by with less if you mount it above the TV.

chubigans said:
Man, that Ars review was pretty negative on the future of Kinect.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/revie...floor-move-your-butt-ars-reviews-kinect.ars/5

I don't think MS would be wise in developing a controller for Kinect- it ruins the whole concept of what the camera is about. It would immediately turn it into a "me too" motion control system like Move and Wii, despite what it could bring to the table for games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7BzUED39A&feature=player_embedded

I expect a fully realized version of this tech to be included with natal at some point.

Sean said:

My apartment has roughly 6 feet from my TV to the foot of my couch. If I mounted a Kinect above the TV (~6 ft up, and another foot back) that would give me >9 feet of space between the sensor and anyone sitting down, >8 feet for anyone actively moving in front of the couch.

I can't imagine anything other than a dorm room where 4 feet would be the maximum space.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow. The motion controller requires a whopping 60MB of memory according to engadget. I guess patching it in for golf and baseball games are a no-no. Bummer

Good to see that some of the reviewers are taking this seriously. Kinectimals and Kinect Sports are def going to be top sellers. Dance Central will be up there too most likely (but I've never played that so I won't judge). Joy Ride is just... *sigh* and Adventures, well, it's ok...

For those talking about room space, it varies by game. I have about 6 feet of play space and Kinect Sports often told me to move away from the sensor (scoot back). (sensor is above tv)

LCfiner said:
you expect people to hook up wires to their bodies, and the connect these wires to a computer, so that they can replicate the act of pushing a button?

well, if you watch the entire video, they state that a working wireless armband is already prototyped.

It would also cover many of the micro actions required by hands while still providing that "you are the controller" mentality.

LCfiner

les papillons sexuels said:
well, if you watch the entire video, they state that a working wireless armband is already prototyped.

it’s a bad habit of mine to skip the last minute or so of videos that drag on too long…

still, I don’t think anything like this is ever going to come to kinect. it’s just so much easier to have a wiimote like controller.

danwarb

LCfiner said:
it’s a bad habit of mine to skip the last minute or so of videos that drag on too long…

still, I don’t think anything like this is ever going to come to kinect. it’s just so much easier to have a wiimote like controller.
Or a cool pair of wireless VR gloves.

LCfiner said:

but then you defeat the whole purpose. The goal is to not have a controller

Pandemic said:
I'm surprised IGN gave it a 7.5 :O
IGN gave generous scores, though the actual hardware does deserve a good score. As for the games, I feel that Eurogamer had the closest to my expectations as far as the games I've played.

duk said:
some hardcore plz.
Good luck with that. The whole beta test I wondered how they could ever bring hardcore titles to this, and the honest answer is that I don't think that they can without gimping it. As someone said earlier, buttons are essential for some many things. Gas and brake in racing games, pulling the trigger in shooters (sorry, the kinect isn't going to see your finger moving. It's great tech, but it isn't that great), or anything else like that. At best I think we MIGHT get some add-on type stuff to hardcore games, but it'll be little stuff like head tracking in racing games, etc.

cgcg

JaggedSac said:
I noticed that as well. :lol

Engadget Kinect Review

6/10

Like we said before, the sensor still isn't too fond of us sitting down, with lighting conditions seeming to be the biggest culprit in our inability to gesture our hands. Thankfully, you have some options to use a controller here.

Sounds pretty awful. They still can't get simple menu navigation while sitting down right. Yeesh. The bolded part is just hilarious. The calibration also sounded cumbersome and awkward.

If you need to set up the play space, there's a "smiley face" calibration card, of sorts, that comes bundled with Kinect Adventures and a handful of other games. Assuming lighting conditions are ideal -- not too bright (presumably for the infrared), not too dim for the webcam to detect anything -- you'll be walking forwards and backwards a lot as you try to line up the card with on-screen glasses. Seriously.

Sounds like I should buy Kinect Sports tomorrow to go with my pre-ordr. Sounds good.

I've read 4 separate reviews, some complain about things that others liked.

Seems like the biggest flaws for everyone are
-Price (which I think is fine)
-Space required ( It does limit people, but really I wouldn't want to be that close to my TV)
-Menu system 9A little disappointed to hear this, but I sort of expected it to be slow and frustrating, 360's menu system is slow enough without the use of gestures.)
-Initial software (Again expected, I am most disappointed in joyride, since I was so pumped for that when it was first announced as a free 360 game for everyone E3 2008)

So mostly I'm not concerned and I'm pretty hyped for tomorrow.

LCfiner

les papillons sexuels said:
but then you defeat the whole purpose. The goal is to not have a controller

I know they don’t want a controller. I don’t think they’ll add this tech to get around that. they’re gonna live or die based on what the camera can do by itself.

Gary Whitta said:
The other space issue is that a lot of people are going to have to move shit around. I have eight feet between me and the TV but not eight EMPTY feet. There's a coffee table in the way. If I (and many others) are going to have to shift furniture back and forth every time we feel like firing up the Kinect, that's going to be a problem.
well some of us don't have ROOM for even a coffee table, unlike you millionaires in here

I GOTTA PUT MY COFFEE ON THE GROUND LIKE A PERSON

JesseZao

Darkener2 said:
I wanted support with Netflix... :(

After seeing all of the video voice commands etc...it's funny that it only works with Zune. I'm not going to ever use the zune video marketplace.

I'm sure it will be implemented into netlfix, but probably not anytime soon.

Top Bottom