• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII – PS2 Original vs. The Zodiac Age Remaster Graphics Comparison

tuxfool

Banned
More useful would also be a comparison to it running in pcsx2. The assets were of an amazing quality for a ps2 game. Unfortunately, the ps2 ruined their quality.

Meowster

It's more subtle than the X remaster but you can see the differences. The biggest changes I see are in the cutscenes, where everything is much more focused and the faces are more textured.

Was literally thinking the same thing re:emulator as I watched the video. It's hard to tell what's actually changed vs what's just rendered at a higher resolution like those 3DS screenshots where everything looks surprisingly amazing rendered in HD.

jett

D-Member
That font, though. WHY

I think it's literally the PS4 system font.

It's the FF14 font I think.

ZivRZtNDA7ngoYriJeDchb0mmM.png

I will not miss the ALL CAPS font I'll say that much. Readability is always preferable.

Why are they cropping these though instead of opening up the sides? :(

I figure that's how widescreen mode worked in the original as well (although this comparison is using 4:3 mode for some reason). There's a tiny bit of extra horizontal information at least.

Riposte

The font and some UI elements kind of look they been made more generic. I've noticed his happens a lot with remakes/mobile releases (perhaps as a side-effect of losing the "pixelated" look that may make it look more charming in original form), although it's not nearly as bad as that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I really need to catch up with my Final Fantasy and play XII. I'm still missing VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2. I know it's not needed, but I want to do it right. Loving XIV at the moment, though!

Za warudo.

Don't worry. It's not a matter of "emulators are better, this is a lazy port" or something like that. Comparing it to an emulated version can be useful to see how well the original assets hold up in HD when compared to the remastered visuals. If anything, the remaster will definitely come out on top, as the screenshot posted above shows.

Yeah, most new fonts for remaster and that kind of stuff just look bland and generic. I don't know why they are doing that. It's not that bad here, but I prefer the old one too.

More useful would also be a comparison to it running in pcsx2. The assets were of an amazing quality for a ps2 game. Unfortunately, the ps2 ruined their quality.

Yeah I remember playing this on pcsx2 once and being absolutely blown away by just how much better it looked. The textures were completely hidden by all that aliasing.

Riposte

I'm really interested in seeing how the zone lines look. When you bumped the resolution up in an emulator, the "image" of a distant Dalmasca stood out as not keeping up.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm really interested in seeing how the zone lines look. When you bumped the resolution up in an emulator, the "image" of a distant Dalmasca stood out as not keeping up.

It won't look great, regardless of the texture resolution. Spites for distant objects just don't work well when dealing with high resolutions.

Remaster vs PCSX2

snip

Really can't tell which I prefer. pcsx2 seems sharper in the distance but it kind of looks like the remaster may have DOF enabled? If it does, I'm kinda inclined to think it's actually helping, although it's active on objects closer than I'd like I guess. Some lighting changes been made too? Textures do seem to pop more on the remaster though. Looking good!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any Pro shots ?

Game's supposed to run at a higher resolution on the Pro.

ss_lemonade

Did they improve/push back the LOD? I remember that being very visible on pcsx2 with buildings. Was this just an emulator thing, because I do not remember it being that bad on the PS2 (unless it was just being hidden behind lower resolution + using a crt tv)?

mieumieu

They're mostly all the same, just with better texture filtering and the game running at a higher res with AA, etc. providing a cleaner image.

Not just that. There are normal mapping, specular lighting and cube maps too. See the armor reflecting the environment and lights, and the brick walls.

They're mostly all the same, just with better texture filtering and the game running at a higher res with AA, etc. providing a cleaner image.

some textures have been redone. i remember seeing a wall on the original to one of the new trailers and it had a stretched texture in the old but completely redone on the new.

Bluenoser

Remaster looks a bit softer than emulation on high end PC, but the texture work and other effects look to be greatly improved.

smoothj

Can't wait for the game. I almost beat it on. Ps2.

There was this power leveling trick I remember reading about. Does anyone remember it by chance?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Not a fan of that DOF, I like the sharper look in the emulated screens. I do not mind the new fonts for text boxes. Looks like there might be some ambient occlusion in there which looks good.

Calabi

They arent, they've redone at least some and added details on others. You can clearly see on Vaans clothes, hair etc, they've completely redone them. Backgrounds have been sharpened and higher rezzed, high frequency details added and filters used.

Example here new textures.
H29z3Q5.jpg

Top Bottom