• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

dejay

Banned
AstroLad said:
It's not a fitness program but it will give you a good aerobic workout, no question.

You're saying it's aimed more at losing weight than maintaining fitness?

saunderez said:
I haven't got mine yet since Kinect doesn't launch in Australia until the 18th, but I worked out a cheap/simple method for mounting Kinect above your TV. All you need is a slim CD case and some blu-tak or duct tape. Ignore the shaky cam photos.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/saunderez84/IMAG0011.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/saunderez84/IMAG0013.jpg

I assume I'll have to make some adjustments when Kinect arrives but I think it will be a solution for my problem until the market gets flooded with cheap TV mounts.

Delightfully ghetto :D

GavinGT

Banned
saunderez said:
I haven't got mine yet since Kinect doesn't launch in Australia until the 18th, but I worked out a cheap/simple method for mounting Kinect above your TV. All you need is a slim CD case and some blu-tak or duct tape. Ignore the shaky cam photos.

*pictures*

I assume I'll have to make some adjustments when Kinect arrives but I think it will be a solution for my problem until the market gets flooded with cheap TV mounts.

I applaud your creativity, but it's best to have the Kinect at eye level. Also, unless I'm mistaken and your room is enormous, you'll want to get it as far back against the wall as you can. Plus, the manual says not to put it on your tv at all.

RedStep

Sh0k said:
Has anyone successfully scanned one of the Burger King toys into Kinectimals ? I have tried for so many times in the game, outside of the game with no luck.

My kid gets pissed every time I interrupt him to scan the toy picture one more time while playing the game

If you're not doing it already - go to the Scan Stone in Fur Town (sounds like code for picking up a hooker or something). The instructions with the toy are wrong, you have to go to a specific place to do it.

Beaten - That's what I get for reading and responding linearly.

saunderez

GavinGT said:
I applaud your creativity, but it's best to have the Kinect at eye level. Also, unless I'm mistaken and your room is enormous, you'll want to get it as far back against the wall as you can. Plus, the manual says not to put it on your tv at all.

Above the TV is eye level for me. In fact its about an inch lower than eye level. Below the TV would make it just above my knees. And my room is pretty big, the back couch is 10 feet from the TV. I don't see why the manual would say not to put it on your TV when they sell a TV mount though.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040XZJQI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I guess they want you to buy THEIR mount specifically.

skyfinch

fernoca said:
Hmm.
Are you using it on a "slim" model or "fatty"?

Mine's on a fatty, and when playing Halo Reach or Fable 3, the IR (red light) turns off.

I have the slim and the red light is always on.

Cth

Apharmd Battler said:
Thank you for the quick impressions. I really wish I had this information when I took advantage of the B2G1F at Target yesterday before the sake ended. No regrets, based on your impressions I'll go ahead and shell out cash for this.

I work out hardcore hardcore 3 days a week for an hour to 90 minutes after work (alternating focus on cardio, core and strength training). I've been A couple of weeks ago I started hitting the heavy bag in my gym at home (as two daycare payments made me quit boxing and Muay Thai at my local gym). I did this to keep my boxing fundamentals from atrophying and to increase my cardio as it gets cold and cycling is no longer an option (and raising kids cuts into your available free time) but I'm digressing.

I liked the preview videos of YS:FE and thought this would be cool to use as a cool down routine, and possibly motivate my wife to get up and workout with me in the morning. But based on your impressions of the Biggest Loser, it seems I would get more bang for buck with this title.

I see the Kinect having huge potential to expand in this market. I am impressed wit YS:FE, bt now after reading this post, I'm putting Biggest Loser on my to buy list. Than you so much for the information.

I finally got to give it a fair shot tonight.

I'll agree it's a great program and deserves some more attention.

It does require less room to work out that's for sure. And the exercises it starts you off with are a little more varied (leg stretches, hip lifts, etc)

I was impressed that it measures your hip/waist/height/etc and keeps track of it.

I still hate the menu, it's poorly designed unless you're calibrated well, IMO. Half the time I'm not reading but hoping to keep moving so the circle doesn't fill too quickly.

I'm glad I got it as part of the B2G1 free deal. It's more in depth and requires a little more time investment than Yourself. I'll be using Yourself for quick workouts and TBL for more lengthy workouts I think.

Looking forward to trying the online mode whenever my kid gives me a chance (nothing worse than a 3 year old who likes hogging the camera and running in a circle)

REV 09

My problem with the fitness games is that kinect is already a workout. I did a brief cardio exercise in YS a few days back and then moved to other games and my legs were exponentially more sore due to starting with YS. To compound the problem, playing Kinect everyday has not allowed my muscles to heal. My body is going to have to get used to this type of daily, continuous workout/movement. YS is awesome though.

Hawk269

metareferential said:
Thank you guys.

Now I can't wait to try Adventures; I was convinced it had virtually nothing interesting, but having read your posts and seen that, I know I'll be spending an awful lot of time on that little thing xD

I find it interesting that almost EVERY proffessional review has neglected to even mention this. It just seems like some reviewers just playes some quick play, tried all the events and then wrote the review. Since I have not had a lot of time recently, I just been playing quick play and a friend mentoned the statue thing and I think it is pretty damn neat.

Classic_Gs said:
Just say xbox at the kinect hub, and you will see a black bar pop up with white text for each icon. Say what is shown.

Is that seriously all the commands there are? I seem to recall reading an article being able to say commands like "Xbox Off". Seems like the voice recognition is rather basic which is surprising considering how much they've done with voice recognition in windows.

fernoca

Coldsnap said:
Slim, I replaced my elite with the slim kinect bundle. I will plug my elite in and test if it stays on.
skyfinch said:
I have the slim and the red light is always on.
Hmm, interesting.
Tried it again and it does stays off, at least on disc games (Halo Reach, Rock Band 3 and Fable III).

25jcgsl.jpg

Tried it on Arcade games (Geometry Wars 2, Uno) and stays on. So it seems to vary at least from game to game.

[Again, fatty here :p]

Aspiring

saunderez said:

PICS

You sir, are a legend! Thanks for that, will definetly try this when it arrives. I have one of those Slim TV's that are like an inch thick so will have to try!

Dunlop said:
All 3 consoles or Kinect/Move/Wii+ ?

This is gaf, a shit ton of people (myself included) own all 3 consoles. One of the reasons I chose Kinect over Move was just that, Move seemed to be the better iteration of the Wiimote...but I already have a Wiimote so it doesn't have the wow factor to me.

I've got all three technologies; Kinect/Move/Wii+.

fernoca said:
Well, Marty can't you at least rent Kinect Sports and see for yourself? :p
You'd like a good comparison, at the moment there isn't. Maybe in a few days, who knows. But, every time someone replies to you saying something about their experience with the game(s) in Kinect Sport, you reply back with "why you prefer Move" like arguments.

So, rent the game if possible, get it from a friend or something. But it seems to give the impression; that you are looking and creating arguments just for the sake of comparison. There are no good comparisons at the moment, many in this thread had admitted even ignoring "waggle like controls" till Kinect, people give you their thoughts and you counter them. The person giving you his point of view seems to be always wrong. He or she only played a demo (of the Move version), played on easier diffculty (of the Move version), don't know what's he's talking about (of the Move version), didn't played enough (of the Move version) and so on.

Plus, you're not the only multiconsole owner in this thread. You can bet that the moment there's a (good) comparison, it will be posted in here or (hopefully) as a new thread. :p

As you should know, multi-platform comparison brings the best and worst of both sides, even on official game-specific threads it's handled with care to avoid problems. Which is why there's not much of a problem when people ask to compare Dance Masters to Dance Central, since to start both are on the same console. So, it tends to leave the "console wars like arguments" out, and focus on the actual game.

Not sure where I could rent it from these days and even so, it might not arrive in time to address the sale that's going on which would make the whole rush to find out a bit moot. I know there are a lot of multi console owners here but what surprises me is the lack of people who own both the Move and the Kinect. You figure there would be at least a few given how many people are multi console owners.

diglyd

Banned
dejay said:
You're saying it's aimed more at losing weight than maintaining fitness?

Delightfully ghetto :D

I think he was referring to Dance Central since you were saying that you hope dance central can give you a workout if you pick that one up. Biggest Loser is about maintaining fitness, building fitness and loosing weight depending on which program you choose. I started a 12 week core program which is supposed to work out your core muscle groups.

menu system still sucks for character creation and sometimes moving around but once you make your character its quick to navigate just very sensitive. If anyone picks it up just don't make a character for quick play first, make one for your program because if you don't you will have to do it twice and it takes a while.

Also I did the auto scan and it did not scan my height correctly as I was very close. I think this can be corrected with recalibrating the sensor. I have been moving it around lately. I just manually reset the height and neck size and was good from there. maybe its a bug I don't know but its nothing major.

I like how it shows me a weekly calendar and gives me a different exercise or routine each day choosing from the game challenges and the yoga and cardio stuff as well as training to mix it up. Still liking it.

I realized I can barely do any of the leg raises... anything that requires me to be on all fours and raise my legs sideways. Man, gaming for the last 4 years has made me feel like I am 80 years old and made of glass. your body definitely gets used to not moving if you sit for hours on end. This is going to be a long and hard journey back to being in shape again.

dejay

Banned
diglyd said:
I think he was referring to Dance Central since you were saying that you hope dance central can give you a workout if you pick that one up. Biggest Loser is about maintaining fitness, building fitness and loosing weight depending on which program you choose. I started a 12 week core program which is supposed to work out your core muscle groups.

Ahh, that makes sense! :)

diglyd said:
menu system still sucks for character creation and sometimes moving around but once you make your character its quick to navigate just very sensitive. If anyone picks it up just don't make a character for quick play first, make one for your program because if you don't you will have to do it twice and it takes a while.

Also I did the auto scan and it did not scan my height correctly as I was very close. I think this can be corrected with recalibrating the sensor. I have been moving it around lately. I just manually reset the height and neck size and was good from there. maybe its a bug I don't know but its nothing major.

I like how it shows me a weekly calendar and gives me a different exercise or routine each day choosing from the game challenges and the yoga and cardio stuff as well as training to mix it up. Still liking it.

I realized I can barely do any of the leg raises... anything that requires me to be on all fours and raise my legs sideways. Man, gaming for the last 4 years has made me feel like I am 80 years old and made of glass. your body definitely gets used to not moving if you sit for hours on end. This is going to be a long and hard journey back to being in shape again.

I have been lucky in that I was in a good paying job that kept me active. However I'm more deskbound these days so I'm feeling the need for some activity but I dislike gyms and it's coming up to summer here - I can't work out after work unless I'm in air conditioning - hence Kinect.

Chrange

Banned
Watching TSN sports center tonight and saw an interview with Calgary Stampeders wr Nik Lewis. When they asked if he was worried about who they'd face in playoffs he said no, the other teams could worry about having to play Calgary...he was going to worry about Kinect and playing those games all day. :lol

Hawk269

Well I decided to get Kinect Sports based on all the positive feedback here and I have to say that it is really good. I would rate the sports in this manner.

1. Bowling
2. Track & Field
3. Table Tennis
4. Volleyball
5. Boxing
6. Soccer

I really liked all of them, but the soccer one seemed a little weird. Some of the mini games are pretty good as well and the one where you are the goalie is really good with the tracking. It is basically like playing the rallyball game, but it seems much more responsive...btw I really like Rally Ball in Kinect Adventures. I am pretty impressed overall on the Sports games. They all play well and I had no issues with tracking and lag was not really a big issue, boxing was probably the one where it seemd not as responsive, but I think it seems like it lags a bit more because you are swing alot faster than in some of the other events.

Even though I won at the hurdles, I missed every jump..lol...yeah, you can tell that there is some assists with some of the games, but overall, it is really good and I would say it is one of the "must" buys for the Kinect. Some DLC with another event or 2 would be cool or some FREE DLC with other stadiums, bowling alleys etc. would be cool addition.

Oh and I agree with whoever said the production value in Kinect Sports is really high. The game seems very polished in the presentation and it looks pretty damn good too...there is a grain looking filter though that I don't like, but it is not that distracting.

I have also been spending alot of time calibrating, changing the height of the sensor etc. and I think I am in the sweet spot now. Most of the day today, I had no tracking issues and it seemed much more responsive. I have it behind my 60" TV (Rear Projection), it is about 6'3" high and in KA, I am at the border between good/best. I will be adding a shelf to the wall behind the TV. Right now i have a custom stand I made, but it is obvious that I needed a bit more height (another 6" or so) to hit the sweet spot. So, one more trip to Home Depot to get a shelf and brackets. I am not that mechanically inclines, so here is my question.

The shelf will need to be about 64" long, width does not matter, but at least 6-8". The challenge is that the brackets can only be 4" in from eathier the left/right of the shelf since the shelf is going across a window, so there will be no support under it for the middle. Would those premade shelves strong enough and wont bend without support in the middle. My TV sits in front of this window with a curtain over the window that I never open, the sun in the evening blares in this window so I have hte shades and a curtain to cut out too much sun coming in to the room. So, I have no issues putting a shelf infront of the curtain..but just want to be ensure that those pre-fabed shelves are strong enough to not bow with the brackets only being on the left/right about 4" in on the shelf.

Thanks for any help....but to those having issues with it detecting etc...higher is better and if you need more space, the best way to go is high and farther back...just ensure that you test it before you make a shelf/stand etc...go inot the Kinect Tracker, and manually tilt it down ot ensure it is not capturing the top of the Tv as it is looking down. If it is go higher if you can. The instructions do say the closer to the 2' or 6' the better.

C4Lukins

So I am having a couple of problems. With Kinect Adventures and the Live recording thing, it does not record my voice. It just does the dance moves and shit but it is not registering my vocals at all. Another problem is that I have tried to start up the video chat client, and it says I have some family restrictions, and that I need to change them in order to run the program. When I go to the appropriate menu options, there are no restrictions and everything is set to go. So I thought maybe the microphone on Kinect may be broken, but it does register my voice commands such as "XBOX previous," and so on, so it is hearing my voice and responding to it. Any ideas?

Nemesis_

C4Lukins said:
So I am having a couple of problems. With Kinect Adventures and the Live recording thing, it does not record my voice. It just does the dance moves and shit but it is not registering my vocals at all. Another problem is that I have tried to start up the video chat client, and it says I have some family restrictions, and that I need to change them in order to run the program. When I go to the appropriate menu options, there are no restrictions and everything is set to go. So I thought maybe the microphone on Kinect may be broken, but it does register my voice commands such as "XBOX previous," and so on, so it is hearing my voice and responding to it. Any ideas?

Is your profile over 18? I remember when Windows Live Messenger launched for Xbox, a lot of people couldn't use it because their profiles were aged under 18 and this wasn't allowed for some reason? Perhaps it's the same problem for you?

Also, apparently in Australia the Kinect Sensor will not support voice controls. =/

Chrange

Banned
C4Lukins said:

The setting for chat via Kinect's mic needs to be set to on for it to work.

seady

I asked this before, but I don't think anyone answered me, can someone please help?

From what I know, the Kinect uses a difference power adaptor if you use the old 360. My question is what is the voltage of the Kinect's adaptor? I want to see if I can use it in another country without a convertor.

GavinGT

Banned
seady said:
I asked this before, but I don't think anyone answered me, can someone please help?

From what I know, the Kinect uses a difference power adaptor if you use the old 360. My question is what is the voltage of the Kinect's adaptor? I want to see if I can use it in another country without a convertor.
input: 100-240 V
output: 12V

C4Lukins

Chrange said:
The setting for chat via Kinect's mic needs to be set to on for it to work.

I am pretty sure it is, but I cannot test it right now. Can you give my a brief tutorial on where to go to check that option? Unfortunately I cannot do it right now because I am not at my house to test it out. I mean if it is registering voice controls such as "XBOX Kinect" and "XBOX Zune" shouldn't that mean that the mic is set to on?

Someone else mentioned the age thing, and I have no parental restrictions on my console, I am registered as a 30 year old as far as I know and I have never had any incident with my 360 concerning parental controls until now.

Joy Ride is having a hard time ID my daughter and I. We didn't have problem with Kinect Adventure or Dance Central, so is the ID per game basis implementation? I would think it's would run off Kinect firmware as far as Kinect ID is concern.

My daughter did not seems to have problem with the control but she is probably used to using Wii mote to control Mario Kart. I do wish the game have option of using controller but then practically nobody would use the Kinect.

Chrange

Banned
C4Lukins said:
I am pretty sure it is, but I cannot test it right now. Can you give my a brief tutorial on where to go to check that option? Unfortunately I cannot do it right now because I am not at my house to test it out. I mean if it is registering voice controls such as "XBOX Kinect" and "XBOX Zune" shouldn't that mean that the mic is set to on?

Someone else mentioned the age thing, and I have no parental restrictions on my console, I am registered as a 30 year old as far as I know and I have never had any incident with my 360 concerning parental controls until now.
It'd be under the Kinect section in the settings menu, far right of the dashboard. The voice commands will work even when that's set to off, but it won't pick up voice for the statues.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
antiquegamer said:
Joy Ride is having a hard time ID my daughter and I. We didn't have problem with Kinect Adventure or Dance Central, so is the ID per game basis implementation? I would think it's would run off Kinect firmware as far as Kinect ID is concern.

My daughter did seems to have problem with the control but she is probably used to using Wii mote to control Mario Kart. I do wish the game have option of using controller but then practically nobody would use the Kinect.

Have you tired giving her the plastic steering wheel from Mario Kart Wii to use with Joy Ride?, I'm interested to know if/how that would work.

C4Lukins

Chrange said:
It'd be under the Kinect section in the settings menu, far right of the dashboard. The voice commands will work even when that's set to off, but it won't pick up voice for the statues.

I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Nemesis_

bakemono said:
D:
Why not?

The Twitter announced voice capabilities to be available in Spring 2011.

Also, someone who participated in the beta from Australia:

As i have KINECT (I'm Australian) i can confirm it does not work. Although i disconnect by live and changed my country to America to see if it works, and it workd perfectly. I dont see why we dont have it enabled, but once you connect back to live it uses your profile info and once again disables the voice regcognition =(

Also, if I buy a US copy of Your Shape (which I hear is region free) will it work with Kinect?

jax (old)

Banned
saunderez said:

*SNIP

awesome. I might have to do this. :)

lowrider007 said:
Have you tired giving her the plastic steering wheel from Mario Kart Wii to use with Joy Ride?, I'm interested to know if/how that would work.

Opps, typo there it should be "NOT" having problem with invisible steering wheel...me on the other hand I am used to have a real wheel. She consistently beat me in most of the race so far.

I loooove Dance Central... but I had friends over and decided to play it-- its nearly unplayable unless you do the break it down mode before performing the songs... tedious. :/

seady

GavinGT said:
input: 100-240 V
output: 12V
Thanks!

courage201 said:
I loooove Dance Central... but I had friends over and decided to play it-- its nearly unplayable unless you do the break it down mode before performing the songs... tedious. :/
I am sure Dance Central has muuuuch better precision and tracking of movements, but from what I see, Just Dance 2 is a much better party game. It has 4-8 people multiplayer and very easy to get into. (I tried that game today to hold me over until I can find a Kinect, and was surprised by how fun it is w/ friends)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
antiquegamer said:
Opps, typo there it should be "NOT" having problem with invisible steering wheel...me on the other hand I am used to have a real wheel. She consistently beat me in most of the race so far.

ahh right, np, out of interest though could you use a plastic steering wheel with Joy Ride?

I'm wondering whether that would actually work.

wwm0nkey

Well had my first "Kinect party" tonight with some friends and it was pretty damn awesome :lol

Dance Central provided to be awesome as we made asses of ourselves :lol

courage201 said:

I had it at a party and everyone just played it regardless. Yeah you don't look good but people were pretty quick to pick up the moves (or failed trying!).

starsky

Nemesis556 said:
The Twitter announced voice capabilities to be available in Spring 2011.

Also, someone who participated in the beta from Australia.

Also, if I buy a US copy of Your Shape (which I hear is region free) will it work with Kinect?

Oh ok. Weird about that, but at least it's only temporary delay.

If you're in Australia, the $198 bundle from BigW is the cheapest to buy both Kinect and Your Shape
http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainment/video-games-consoles/consoles/bpnBIGW_9999999000065/

jax (old)

Banned

Nemesis_

Don't suppose anyone knows of any good 4gb bundles in the UK? £240 seems to be the best so far but it's nothing to write home about (Just the console, kinect and adventures)

Top Bottom