• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eve Online: Northern Coalition. Loses 5 SuperCarriers In Fleet Engagement Against IT

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1412475

Super Twinkey69 said:
i just whelped a bucn hf our supers into a very angry IT super cap fleet.....gg effenciency >< well done It pretty fial i just lost some supers to a group worse than hdyra ;/

This was actually quite the epic fight. IT Alliance was baiting NCdot with a Rorqual and NCdot engaged the ambush fleet instead with Battleships. IT Alliance proceeded to jump in carriers, and in response NCdot jumped in 5 SuperCarriers to counter the Carriers, then IT Alliance and their allies jumped in even more carriers, supercarriers, and over 20 Titans as well as an assortment of subcapital ships. This resulted in catastrophic losses for NCdot approaching $10,000 worth of ingame currency. I was there personally, and I would have gotten pictures, but lag was horrendous and there were so many drones that you really couldn't see anything. I almost feel sorry for Super Twinkey considering he spent real money to buy those ships....almost.

Killboard detailing the action: http://www.killboard.it/?a=home&w=45&y=2010&view=kills

Battle Report: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=8015263

Super Twinkey In Local Chat:

23:23:06] Super Twinkey69 > fuckn shit
[23:23:12] Super Twinkey69 > u lucky i cant put more than 120 in fleet
[23:23:15] Super Twinkey69 > i would role fountian
[23:23:17] Super Twinkey69 > in a heartbeat
[23:23:20] Super Twinkey69 > and give it to the nc
[23:23:42] Super Twinkey69 > then i would sbu nol
[23:23:43] Super Twinkey69 > every day

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wormdundee said:
Maybe he would have done better if he knew how to type.

:lol

And maybe this would be more epic if we played EVE?

Woakes

Epic.

I wasn't there for that fight but I was around for the massive LX- battle which actually broke the users in one system record only ever previously held by the games trade hub, Jita.

My corp is a member of Majesta Empire and from our side the fights with the Russians have been pretty damn epic. Sure it's almost always a total lagfest but being part of massive universe shaping events is what eve's all about. Station systems exchanging hands daily, huge numbers of battleships and carriers being reduced to vacuum.

Don't think NC are in any real danger here but damn it's all hitting the regions economy pretty hard and the Russians are more than willing to engage in a long and protracted war. Traders are milking the markets on all battleships and fittings, region was dry of trimark armour pumps for a while, the trickle down effect of these wars from the combateers to the markets is all pretty fascinating. And now we have Pandemic Legion (gazillion times alliance tournement winners) not exactly beating down our door but throwing their own supercap fleets around our space taking advantage of the confusion to have some fun.

Good times.

And I just realised I wrote a post pretty much only an eve player will appreciate :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExodu5 said:
I've been training skills for about 5 months now...I wonder when I'll actually start playing. :lol

?? You're already playing EVE to its fullest!

Taken from Local Chat said:
23:23:06] Super Twinkey69 > fuckn shit
[23:23:12] Super Twinkey69 > u lucky i cant put more than 120 in fleet
[23:23:15] Super Twinkey69 > i would role fountian
[23:23:17] Super Twinkey69 > in a heartbeat
[23:23:20] Super Twinkey69 > and give it to the nc
[23:23:42] Super Twinkey69 > then i would sbu nol
[23:23:43] Super Twinkey69 > every day

Woakes

TheExodu5 said:
I've been training skills for about 5 months now...I wonder when I'll actually start playing. :lol

It really is a huge misconception that the game has never really been able to shake that you need to spend months training before you can do anything.

Certainly you can never catch up to people who have played for a very long time, but the maximum any skill can be in the game is 5, and those who have maybe 50+ skills at 5 only ever use maybe 5-10 of them at one time in any one ship.

You can be just as effective as those very old players in quite short order if you focus narrowly on flying one thing well, filling one roll. And even then the difference between skills at 4 or 5 is often minimal, except as a gateway to other skills. The problem is many new players want to do everything instantly, and they end up being able to do nothing well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Woakes said:
It really is a huge misconception that the game has never really been able to shake that you need to spend months training before you can do anything.

Certainly you can never catch up to people who have played for a very long time, but the maximum any skill can be in the game is 5, and those who have maybe 50+ skills at 5 only ever use maybe 5-10 of them at one time in any one ship.

You can be just as effective as those very old players in quite short order if you focus narrowly on flying one thing well, filling one roll. And even then the difference between skills at 4 or 5 is often minimal, except as a gateway to other skills. The problem is many new players want to do everything instantly, and they end up being able to do nothing well.

I know...I just don't feel like playing it atm. I'll get back into the sci-fi mood at some point.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hazaro said:
$10,000 real monies from 1 dude in losses.
Shit. Well, it certainly adds a bit of excitement to the game. I instinctively snore when I start playing Warcraft PvP. :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There was some Russian millionaire who was spent like $100k on characters and ships to fight a war.

(._.)

Banned
EVE is so incredibly REAL. How the whole universe works and everything. I'd play it if I wasn't involved with other things.

Apath

Ikuu said:
There was some Russian millionaire who was spent like $100k on characters and ships to fight a war.
That shit is crazy. Why is it whenever I play I can never find awesome groups of people to play with? D:

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
You can buy ISK directly from CCP, more or less. So you see things like this quite often.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ikuu said:
And then lost a lot of his money was taken away as he bought it from not so legit sellers :lol :lol :lol
Or so I believe.
Some of the big people in EVE are crazy.

*You can buy time cards which are roughly convertible to ISK, but when you need $50,000 in time cards can you sell that many that quickly?
I mean it's a whole economy. They even have giant ponzi schemes acting as central banks and a ton of other whacky stuff.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
From what I've been told he did get stuff taken off as they thought it was real money transactions, so he just bought time cards and sold them and then used the ISK to buy a whole new load of stuff. Not sure how true it all is though.

Edit: From searching around people reckoned at one point he had $14k worth of time cards for sale on the forums.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65475 has a whole bunch of crazy EVE stories, including someone trying to get the power to someones house cut-off.

RustyO

One day I'll have to give EVE a go, it intrigues me a bit... but scared of MMORPG timesinks.

Daft question... Everyone controls a single ship, no?

Whats the story with a Capital or Super Capital or Titan?

Or I could go to the EVE thread...
:D

equap

Banned
_original

this pic is soo bad ass! can you help me find the same pic without the tenton logo?

RustyO said:
One day I'll have to give EVE a go, it intrigues me a bit... but scared of MMORPG timesinks.

Daft question... Everyone controls a single ship, no?

Whats the story with a Capital or Super Capital or Titan?

Or I could go to the EVE thread...
:D

Capitals and Super Capitals including Titans are player controlled as well. regular capitals can dock at stations and be stored in maintenance arrays at POSes. Super Capitals cannot dock at all or be stored, the pilot in that super capital is stuck unless they buy a parking character for it

Visualante said:
Posting in an EVE drama thread. Aw yeah love these stories.

Thanks for posting.
you're welcome, I love posting them.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't play EVE nor do I ever plan on playing it, but I love reading about these stories people losing a lot of (what equates to) real money.... BURN.

Cruceh

Banned
I wish goonswarm left taking over delve to competent allies or something :lol they fucked it up and gave it back to IT

Flambe

Cruceh said:
I wish goonswarm left taking over delve to competent allies or something :lol they fucked it up and gave it back to IT

Tell me about it, I have shit in C3n (i think it was) still when I quit -_-

Mindlog

Supercaps are the new, Rifters. That money would be better spent paying off CCP.

or a legal defense fund
just in case

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would actually pay to see a documentary following some of the major players of Eve as well as digging up the facts and details recounting some of the previous major events in the game. The more I read up on Eve the more absurd it gets in the complexity and deviousness of its player base. Eve literally is its own little universe unlike any other MMO out there. Its truly fascinating.

EVE seriously sounds like the perfect MMO. Its the one MMO where your choices can actually make a difference, where huge battles and shit can actually change the world. Unlike something like WoW or GW, when you kill the big baddie nothing really happens, he just respawns for the next guild to come along.

Aaah...If only I didn't have any goals in life and an infinite amount of money, it'd be EVE all day erryday.

grumble

I played Eve for a while. It's not a very friendly MMO, and you have to do a lot of boring shit to actually get to the fun parts. Once you get there, the scheming and such can be fun.

Shinjitsu

Banned
grumble said:
I played Eve for a while. It's not a very friendly MMO, and you have to do a lot of boring shit to actually get to the fun parts. Once you get there, the scheming and such can be fun.

If you play with the right group of people you really don't have to do the "boring shit". Yes it takes a while to get into some ships and get rolling. But tackling in PVP for a new player can be a blast.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So does this thread go into the ONLINE forum? Just trying to figure out the rules here.

It seems fine here. This isn't a thread about a GAF EVE alliance, it's not being used to schedule online play or talk about servers or anything. I would say that this thread, along with threads like "Guild takes down high level WOW mob in record time", would stay in Gaming.

Look the the description of the online forum:
"Online/Community
Multiplayer matchmaking and strategy discussion, internal tournaments, buy/sell/trade, special sub-communities"

If the thread being posted really snugly fits that description, post it in Online/Community--and the reason why some of the hybrid single player/multiplayer super-OTs have been moves is because at this point they're most Multiplayer matchmaking / special sub-community discussion.

If the thread being posted is a bit more general in appeal, post it in Gaming. If a mod disagrees, they'll move it without prejudice. Everyone wins! Yay!

Mr YuYu

Been a gamer for 20 years now put stories like these make my head spin.

What a game!! The eve universe is just insane!

Sounds like an awesome game but not for me. Too much of a timesink.

TheExodu5

Banned
Much to my surprise, the RA director didn't want in-game information from me; he wanted us to use the forensic resources of our intelligence agency to trace down The Enslaver's home address. At a coordinated time, armed with this information, a RA member would apparently cut the power to The Enslaver's house in the real world, and in EVE a RA capital fleet would assault the abruptly pilotless Titan. Yikes.

Sir Garbageman said:
Insane article. Some dude spent over 100K to fund his virtual space fleet? Holy shit.
I honestly wouldnt want to play any other MMO at this point. Anything can and will happen in Eve Online, and many times, it does happen. Winter is traditionally the high activity season for Eve Online and many more fascinating and epic events will be taking place in the near future, especially as CCP gets ready to deploy the Incursion expansion this month.

Top Bottom