• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

fernoca said:
  1. Go to Kinect Tuner. Create a Kinect ID and have the "happy card" that's inside Adventures, to calibrate your space , so it can recognize you better.
  2. Calibrate sound/mic, fully. The system is going to ask you to read a few words aloud, to recognize your voice better.
I did both of those things. The menu navigation is downright awkward, at least in Dance Central. I swipe and it doesn't recognise it or goes up/down instead.

Voice is working fine now though after I rebooted console. Dunno why I needed to do that - weird hiccup I guess.

Gorki247

ShapeGSX said:
Has anyone found leaderboards for the Mini-Games in Kinect Sports? I want to see how many volleys my friends could perform.

I've looked everywhere and couldn't find any leaderboards. Seems like a pretty big miss if they don't exist.
Rare have set up a facebook app for Kinect Sports leagues which I think will allow you to do that, and it will be expanded with the ability to see your complete personal stats and records.

http://www.rare.co.uk/news/introducing-kinect-sports-facebook-app

Cheech

jmdajr said:
In want to get your shape just for that punching game....

the demo was addictive.

How high impact is the YourShape stuff? The problem I have with Biggest Loser is you're jumping up and down constantly, which my joints can only take so much of (I'm a bigger dude).

Cheech said:
How high impact is the YourShape stuff? The problem I have with Biggest Loser is you're jumping up and down constantly, which my joints can only take so much of (I'm a bigger dude).

It seems mostly low impact. Actually I haven't seen any jumping yet but I haven't unlocked very much. There is a big emphasis on squats and lunges but no straight up jumping up and down.

Overall i'm loving it so far.

My room seems to be just a TAD to small for this to work perfectly. When it asks me to stand in the boxes for the Kinect ID thing, I basically have to squish against my sofa to get to the correct position of the back boxes

Also, I see to be having problems with Voice Recognition. I don't think the mic is working at all. Even with the Living Statue thing in Kinect Adventures, it did not register a single thing I said

Dance Central is not touched yet... lord help me when I do!

I'm surprised how well voice control has worked for me thus far. Literally 100% of my commands have worked without fail. It is pretty much my method of choice for navigating the Kinect hub. I really hope it is fleshed out more so that it can be used for the entire dashboard experience.

I understand that they probably don't want to over-complicate it, making it less consistent, but even if options in pop-up boxes like 'Choose where you want your game to save' and 'There is an update for this game' were numbered so that we can say 'Xbox Choose 1' instead of a unique and more complicated command like 'Xbox Download Update' it would save me from having to wave-to-engage for that one selection.

I don't actually hate the cursor control as much as some, it's snappier and less floaty than I was expecting (my expectations were realised with the Kinect Sports cursor), but it's definitely sluggish as a selection process that frustrates when used for any great length, but I'm sure it'll be built upon in design and responsiveness as the hub evolves over time.

There is an interesting article here on how Harmonix created the Dance Central menu.

Keyser Soze said:
Also, I see to be having problems with Voice Recognition. I don't think the mic is working at all. Even with the Living Statue thing in Kinect Adventures, it did not register a single thing I said
Yeah, that definitely sounds like a problem. The Kinect mic is very sensitive, even if I don't say a word during the living statues it picks up on my footsteps, and voice controls work with a whisper.

Raide

Keyser Soze said:
Dance Central is not touched yet... lord help me when I do!

fmWdO.gif
Like this I am guessing? :D

Doodis

Keyser Soze said:
My room seems to be just a TAD to small for this to work perfectly. When it asks me to stand in the boxes for the Kinect ID thing, I basically have to squish against my sofa to get to the correct position of the back boxes
This is my exact situation as well. I bought the wall mount to give myself and extra foot or so, but it still puts my back against my couch when calibrating.

Also, during the Your Shape demo, it cuts my feet off at the ankles (so it looks like my character is wading in water). Does anyone else have this problem? When calibrating the camera, it can see my feet just fine, but they don't want to show up in Your Shape. Any thoughts? I've got the camera up at 6 feet, so it's looking down at my feet and should be recognizing them.

Alx

You should be able to activate it in the settings, if you set locale to "US". I tried it from France and could use voice commands in the kinect hub, but I felt silly speaking to myself in an empty room. :)

Alx said:
You should be able to activate it in the settings, if you set locale to "US". I tried it from France and could use voice commands in the kinect hub, but I felt silly speaking to myself in an empty room. :)

I tried this, and it worked, thanks :)

Although it only work when I am offline.

If I go online, it knows I am in Ireland, and shuts it off.

Silly move MS

Keyser Soze said:

Silly move MS

Yep, I'm from Canada, and my account is in French, so I can't use it. There's no way to change the language either.

diglyd

Banned
Cheech said:

In Biggest loser you can choose from the template workouts or if you go to whatever that menu is Quick workout or something you can choose from specific workouts if you choose "Freeplay" it lets you choose a category and then a subcategory so if you don't want any jumping just don't choose that type of exercise.

cakefoo said:
I'm an emoter and talker in real life, and Kinect Sports table tennis is nothing like the real thing.
Don’t know how your reply is even relevant to my post. All I see is one pathetic pointless drivel by fanboy. I never once claimed that Kinect’s table tennis is like the real thing. Heck it is even right there in my post to Marty Chinn, hence the phrase “both move and Kinect’s TT do a decent job of engaging you at the activity and is fun if you have no problem suspending reality hindering your enjoyment”.

How you can take that as an interpretation of Kinect being close to reality or even use it as a witty comeback on your part exists only in your deranged mind, (which frankly shouldn’t be too surprising for someone butthurt enough to do a myspace profile search). At least post the semblance of something vaguely intelligent to the discussion. Why do mods continue to tolerate obvious trolling nut jobs like you in this thread I have no idea.

Mdk7

I played it all evening with my girlfriend... God, this thing is AWESOME.
When i played it at E3 i left the MS booth VERY unimpressed, disappointed with the lag, the lack of precision and the overall feeling to it... but this is just a whole different story, don't know how (well, in fact i might know... ;D) but it just works. Often magically too.

Really, it's just SOOO much fun... and i still have to a) buy Dance Central (but the kickass demo is kinda representative of the awesome that's in there i guess!!) b) play it with 3 other people, and especially with my friends.

Keyser Soze said:

Silly move MS

Yup it's unfortunate. However, there's tons of variables that MS would need to take into account (accents for example, plus Irish is still spoken in the country, so MS would be alienating a lot of them, so they're holding back until they can guarantee full support for the country).

saunderez

Iced_Eagle said:
Yup it's unfortunate. However, there's tons of variables that MS would need to take into account (accents for example, plus Irish is still spoken in the country, so MS would be alienating a lot of them, so they're holding back until they can guarantee full support for the country).
Pity that reasoning doesn't explain why they can't do Australian English. Australians that already have Kinect confirm it works fine if you have the console offline and set the locale to US so I don't know why they're holding us back too. Ah well we can all be disappointed together.

Dunlop

Littleberu said:
Yep, I'm from Canada, and my account is in French, so I can't use it. There's no way to change the language either.

I thought you could, I could have swore my kids changed the default language at some point. I'm in Quebec and the voice rec is fine...but my account settings are english

Hawk269

jedimike said:
I rented "Grown Ups" last night from Zune marketplace and although the movie was below average, the voice controls on Kinect worked perfectly. Yes, it would be just as fast to reach over and hit pause on the remote, but saying "xbox pause" just seemed like such a natural way to control the movie.

I did have to elevate my voice a bit since I watch movies much louder than I play games, so the calibration was set for lower speaker sound.

I also watched the preview section in Zune and was able to use my hand, while reclined. The way the previews work is pretty good. They start playing immediately in fullscreen and you are using your hand to go from preview to preview.

Re-calibrate for the sound level you play movies/games with and it will work perfectly. Even while in the movie, I was able to command the Kinect with a low voice, which is what I used when I read out the numbers. Remember, the sound calibration is designed to pick up your voice where you normally sit and in the normal sound field..so basically, calibrating it with the volume louder is better and then speaking while it calibrating when it asks you to read the numbers in a normal voice will work perfectly.

Played a lot of Kinect Sports. The thing is amazing.

While it may not be an accurate represantation of the depicted sports as other titles may be, I find it to be the most fun motion-based sports title I've ever played.

At higher difficulties the matches become pretty soon frantic and hilarious. I got my kin-ass kicked many times by the AI in table tennis.

The whole package is great, from the visuals to music selection (Queen, Robbie Williams, Rihanna, I've heard any kind of music during matches).

And it also is a pretty decent workout. With friends is a blast. Can't wait to try it with a larger group of friends, coupled with beer of course xD.

fernoca

Yeah, higher difficulty in Kinect Sports is quite intense. Keep getting my flat ass kicked.

Still loving it, got a few achivements today liek one for breaking the wood flooring Bowling, and one in Volleyball named 'Ultra Combo' (an obvious nod to Killer Instict).

Love te overall quality and production values. Menues reminds me of Wii Sports Resort mixed with WaveRace BlueStorm; for some reason. The music selection surprised me, hearing Kasabian (Club Foot) and Franz Ferdinand (Take Me Out); made me think the game was streaming my music collection. :lol :lol

Combining an hour of Sports and an hour of Adventures, made for quite a workout. :lol :lol

I'll try to brush my pussy...ehr..I mean, pet my cub in Kinectimals later though, after taking a bath.

Keyser Soze said:
It looks like my mic is not broken... it seem Microsoft has turned voice recognition off in Ireland, and will not allow it until spring 2011

http://forums.xbox.com/34966151/ShowPost.aspx

That is beyond stupid IMO, seeing as we predominantly speak English

As a Canadian who traveled all over Europe last year, I have to say that Ireland was by far the hardest place to understand wtf people were saying, haha. I had less issues in Germany than in Ireland :p

Crazy Irish!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Cheech said:

Love ubi soft fitness game it really is fun and works different areas my legs still hurt two days later from squats

Nobiru said:
As a Canadian who traveled all over Europe last year, I have to say that Ireland was by far the hardest place to understand wtf people were saying, haha. I had less issues in Germany than in Ireland :p

Crazy Irish!
You'll find that had less to do with the accent and more to do with the fact that 98% of the time they're drunk. :D

riceandbeans said:
So does this mean Kinect can read finger inputs after all? That's the impression I got from the video when he went to expand and contract the photos.
Nah, it looks like his program is just figuring out the center of the nearest two hand-sized ovals and using that point to move stuff around.

fernoca

riceandbeans said:
So does this mean Kinect can read finger inputs after all? That's the impression I got from the video when he went to expand and contract the photos.
Technically, it always could. There are internal demos of it too. Like one that was described of opening a safe.

The problem comes (apparently) because of the resolution of the camera, when you're too far it hardly can distinguish each individual finger.

But if programmed well and for a game that may only require the use of hands/fingers, relative close; is possible.

EDIT:
By the way, not the actual implementation of reading finger inputs I meant. Just that is possible with some programming.

Here's the IGN interview with Kudo regardign the safe cracking demo.

"There's easy ways to build a design that enables you to do what you want to do, so we built a prototype early on in Kinect that was like a stealth safe-cracking, thief kind of demo. You could sneak around and it was cool because if other people came into the room and started talking it would set off all the alarms and stuff, just because there's the ambient noise, but you could get up to the safe, and the safe would be far away in the room, and the only way to bring the safe closer up to the TV would be to walk up to the sensor, and then by the time the safe's close enough to the TV that you want to interact with it, you're close enough to the sensor to do it with your fingers... Good design can always make the experiences and the fun that you want."

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think kinect sports might be infested with cheaters... I'm level 16 or something in table tennis, and I slaughtered a dude (level 42) and he "disconnected" right before we got ranks

Mind you, I -am- on a 17 game winning streak so really... I should probably be really high level anyways :p it's the 3rd person tonight to do this

Aspiring

:D Just pickedd up my Kinect. It was either drive an hour to DHL to pick it up or get it Monday. Cannot wait to have a go! Only shit thing is amazon sent my Dance Central seperate and its sitting in some warehouse 30 minutes away. I trie to pick it up, but it had already been passed on to the company DHL use to take to regional areas, even though im like an hour away. So anyway i have my kinect but no Dance Central until Monday : (

So can someone tell me some details on the Dance Central demo? How many songs, difficulties available etc?

fernoca

Aspiring said:
So can someone tell me some details on the Dance Central demo? How many songs, difficulties available etc?
Demo in Kinect Adventures (US)

Songs:
1. Poker Face (Lady Gaga)
2. Poison (Bell Biv Devoe)

Options for the songs:
-Break it down (training of the song)
-Perform it (dancing)

Difficulties: Easy, Medium, Hard

Venues: 1 (The Planks)

Dancers: 2 ( Emilia, Mo)

As noted earlier, you can access the demo by goingt o the Game Library in your Dashboard and choosing Game demos. No need to be on the Kinect Adventures game.

Aspiring

fernoca said:
Demo in Kinect Adventures (US)

Songs:
1. Poker Face (Lady Gaga)
2. Poison (Bell Biv Devoe)

Options for the songs:
-Break it down (training of the song)
-Perform it (dancing)

Difficulties: Easy, Medium, Hard

Venues: 1 (The Planks)

Dancers: 2 ( Emilia, Mo)

As noted earlier, you can access the demo by goingt o the Game Library in your Dashboard and choosing Game demos. No need to be on the Kinect Adventures game.

Thank you so much man appreciated! The wife and I will play after dinner. Shame the game didnt come but just glad to try it out! Sounds awesome with 2 songs though!

Hey, I was hoping to add a few of you KINECT users to my friend's list. I'm not looking so much to have someone to play against but it would be nice to be able to get feedback from other users on certain games in the future. Hope what I said just makes sense. :lol
Anyways my gamers tag is FRY DADDY MO so please send a friend request if you like. THANKS

skybaby

Lunchbox said:
its because they gotta patch your british accent in

speak american to it, it'll listen
Are doing it using IP Geolocation (like they use to block xbox live content) or by console settings? If it's geolocation that sucks :(
edit: read more, they are using geolocation. Sucks...

Aspiring

Ok so after around 3 hours this thing is amazing. Really. Haters gonna hate. Its fucking unreal. After picking up Move i thought that was going to be the pinnacle, but this shit is unreal. I am so tired yet having a blast. They actually made it work!

And i am so pissed at my Dance Central not coming because the demo is amazing. What an awesome game! But its killing me, i am so unfit lol. Anyway back to playing (and wishing my DC arrived today)

Also is there no voice recognition for Australia? It doesnt listen to me!

Top Bottom