• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

fernoca

Yoboman said:
So the remaining four spots belong to PS3, and not all software sales are contained within the top 10.
Well, you said there were lots of PS3 games in the Top 10, when there are only 3 (based on the current info).

Rainier

Yoboman said:
So the remaining four spots belong to PS3, and not all software sales are contained within the top 10.
Don't listen to these guys with there mangled combined SKU new math, next month GT5 will be number one! And if not, Sony will tell us they some how won the month anyways.

Rainier said:
Don't listen to these guys with there mangled combined SKU new math, next month GT5 will be number one! And if not, Sony will tell us they some how won the month anyways.

With Black Ops out this month, GT5 won't even be the top selling PS3 game. It may make the top five maybe.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Rainier said:
GT franchise with the biggest % increase from last year.

Owzers

Rainier said:

Black Ops 360 :)

Kujo

Hmm, Reach tracking lower than Halo 3 with double the userbase. Would it have sold more if it was numbered? Maybe more people are going to CoD these days

Mojo said:
Hmm, Reach tracking lower than Halo 3 with double the userbase. Would it have sold more if it was numbered? Maybe more people are going to CoD these days

Way too much competition for gamers online time now.

Mojo said:

It's the best Halo game ever, but reality is that ODST dilutes the brand, the game doesn't have a '4' in the title, and there is no Master Chief or Cortana.

Honestly it should have sold more. It whips Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

Beer Monkey said:
It's the best Halo game ever, but reality is that ODST dilutes the brand, the game doesn't have a '4' in the title, and there is no Master Chief or Cortana.

Yup all around. It had a shoddy if loud marketing campaign, and ODST did dilute what people expect from Halo (and wouldn't have had Microsoft published it as Bungie intended). I'll be shocked if Halo 4 starring the Chief isn't 343's first Halo title.

AniHawk

Oh hey. Not-NPD is today. Earlier than I would've thought.

Holy damn at NBA 2K11. Even with all those SKUs. I mean damn.

All Sony needs to do is switch places with Microsoft and this will start to resemble last gen again. I think Nintendo will still have a big December, but Microsoft will probably wind up with the decisive YTD total regardless, even topping November.

Rhindle

Beer Monkey said:

It's more polished and better designed than prior games, but really did not do much to distinguish itself. I think all the Halo titles are starting to blend together in people's minds. The next Halo game had better try something fresh.

-Eddman-

I really hope the hype helps games like Donkey Kong and Gran Turismo this month. It really seems that you won't sell shit with something non sports/FPS these days in America. WTF happened? :( At least, games like Caslevania, RB3 and Kirby deserved more than 200/300k.

Most franchises which were built on a previous generation tend to have sequels that sell worse after the initial release onto a new console.

for example.
gran turismo 3 - 14.90 million
gran turismo 4 - 11.05 million

zelda oot - 7.6
zelda mm - 4.4

Metal gear solid 2 5.60mil
Metal gear solid 3 4.05mill

The list goes on, forza, super mario galaxy, prince of persia etc. The sequels are all tracking worse then the premiere foray of the franchise onto the console.

So i don't really think it should be all that surprising that Reach is not selling as well as Halo 3.

seady

With combined SKU, many platform-exclusive games now look like they are "failing". Or at least what most people here think... stupid NPD screwing our minds...

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
Yup all around. It had a shoddy if loud marketing campaign, and ODST did dilute what people expect from Halo (and wouldn't have had Microsoft published it as Bungie intended). I'll be shocked if Halo 4 starring the Chief isn't 343's first Halo title.
Pricing and marketing didn't kill ODST's fire for some fans. It was the very short campaign and no MM built into Firefight. It gave the game no long standard value. People bought it, saw how short it was, and saw how fairly underwhelming Firefight was for the most part (due to mostly, as I previously mentioned, lack of a search), and boom.

Halo 4 will push people back in, as you mentioned with getting the number back and with the series' icon returning to the fold. It was harder for MS to market this than it was for Halo 3, since 3 was coming off a blast of an online experience from Halo 2, which boomed Xbox Live.

Pride

OldJadedGamer said:
With Black Ops out this month, GT5 won't even be the top selling PS3 game. It may make the top five maybe.

Because the launch was so screwed up it will be interesting to see if GTV breaks 1 millions units in November.

factor in competition from AC brotherhood, kinect, donkykong, and continued sales of BO. Along with releasing relatively late in the month i doubt Gran Turismo will break the top 3.

Yoboman

les papillons sexuels said:
factor in competition from AC brotherhood, kinect, donkykong, and continued sales of BO. Along with releasing relatively late in the month i doubt Gran Turismo will break the top 3.
I don't see how Kinect and Donkey Kong are a factor in GT5 making the top 3

SpokkX

Rhindle said:
It's more polished and better designed than prior games, but really did not do much to distinguish itself. I think all the Halo titles are starting to blend together in people's minds. The next Halo game had better try something fresh.

True

Reach is definately the best Halo gameplaywise..

still I kind of lost interest after a while... just because it is really the same game yet again

Halo 4 must try something fresh and not just remake Halo yet again

I am not going with Wii collapse until we see December.

You can't gloss over it as a game problem. A single huge release would be nice but Wii has a good run this season.

Not going to do a list war but broadly looking at the 12 weeks up to X-Mas. Wii has/will have 1 release per week over that time that is a solid product.

If there is a collapse in the new hardware sales you could pin some of that on not having Zelda this year but if the software well says a bit too full that is a problem.

SpokkX said:
True

still I kind of lost interest after a while... just because it is really the same game yet again

It's really in the best interest of everyone involved that the franchise be handed over to someone who wants to focus only on Halo.

Jex

GhaleonEB said:
Not calling it Halo 4 was probably bad. As pretty much everyone has said, people probably think it's not a "full game" a la ODST.
SpokkX said:

You know, with COD selling more year on year this argument makes no sense.

Pooya

jvm said:
Posted yet?
PlayStation 3 has been building up tremendous momentum heading into the peak holiday season and we're seeing strong movement at retail for both hardware and software. PlayStation 3 software sales were incredibly strong in October and PS3 was the only platform that had growth in the software over September, to the tune of nearly 50%. With next week's launch of the industry's most anticipated title, Gran Turismo 5, we're sure to carry the momentum through the holidays. In addition, PlayStation Move continues to perform incredibly well. The PS3 Move Bundle had a 15% increase in sales since launch last month, and we're working hard to keep the inventory up across the country to meet strong consumer demand. We continue to add great Move software from both our World Wide Studios group and our publishing partners with titles across all genres for everyone in the family including SingStar Dance, The Sly Collection, The Fight: Lights Out, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, Toy Story 3, MAG and NBA 2K11. With the growing content and services options for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Network, including recently added Hulu Plus and NHL GameCenter, as well as the pending launch of Vudu on PS3, we're constantly adding additional value to the hardware and consumers are responding to the continuing proof that It Only Does Everything.

I don't get it. Why didn't Xbox 360 software grow month over month? *rolls eyes*

Why you don't get it? Halo Reach released last month, obviously sales are lower this month, what I don't get is why Sony is gloating over MoM increase in software sales.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
miladesn said:
Why you don't get it? Halo Reach released last month, obviously sales are lower this month, what I don't get is why Sony is gloating over MoM increase in software sales.
Even I got the joke. (and I'm slow when it comes to getting these type of jokes)

Jexhius said:
Not calling it Halo 4 was probably bad. As pretty much everyone has said, people probably think it's not a "full game" a la ODST.

True... I am afraid Halo 4 will drop the sandbox combat and will go for scripted set-pieces with a lot of explosions.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Jexhius said:

The whole "not numbered" argument for Halo Reach doesn't really make much sense either.

Since CoD Black Ops (not CoD7), looks to break records.

danwarb

user_nat said:
The whole "not numbered" argument for Halo Reach doesn't really make much sense either.

Since CoD Black Ops (not CoD7), looks to break records.
Not having MC in it probably had more of an impact.

Walshicus

danwarb said:
Don't buy that for an instant. I mean we can all joke about how Joe Public is a fucking moron, but in reality the few people out there who are that stupid don't care about which Spartan you're playing.

It's pretty simple to me; Reach very sold well, and came out between a number of other high-profile releases. You guys are definitely reading far too much into it.

Massa

danwarb said:

Sony is in a similar situation with the God of War franchise, I don't think the next one will have the number 4 in the name or Kratos as the main character.

Also God of War 3 was hyped as a sequel to a previous generation game that ended in a cliff ganger, the next one might not really have that benefit.

cjelly said:
Holy shit, this is the 360s SIXTH Christmas.

Time flies.

I know it feels like yesterday I was waiting in line for the midnight launch for my 360 and getting it home and earning my first "achievement" (on launch day) then wondering the next day if I wasted my money because I just ended up playing Halo 2 on the BC with all my friends who couldn't score a launch unit.

just tray

My thoughts on NPD since now I can no longer browse a thread watch people argue over numbers. Just my thoughts and opinions so take them as that.

Wow NBA2K did better than Madden. Which shows quality with a monopoly can produce results. So er maybe I can get the Madden game I've always wanted. I mean We only have been asking since 2005.

Halo Reach? How dare they not market one of the top five exclusives for any system this year? Easily second or best FPS depending on who you ask.The years not over get with it!

Lol just thought of something. Kinect is so good that quietly Microsoft has four different sku's at retail with no plans to cancel any. Smart move. But eventually they will cancel out the kinect-less versions. That and Kinect isn't being sold at a loss,so it may come with a price cut. Microsoft is in a position to counter anything from a Sony or Nintendo price cut

Nintendo DS- Nintendo doesn't need the Wii. They will support it but the 3DS is their most revolutionary console to date. They can eat off of Wii sales and DS sales.

Move- Sony so anti Microsoft that they cant see that the real fight is them and Nintendo. Both have portable game systems, both have (in the eyes of the public) similiar motion controls.Both online services do not generate the revenue that xbox live generates.Move won't pass Kinect.But great initial sales.

Kinect IS the most innovative hardware product this gen. Just have to beware of the incoming bombardment of shitty games.

Why bet against the best launch lineup of any motion control device?

Sony and Nintendo will never catch Microsoft again. Not this gen.

Fallout New Vegas? Still have to play Fallout 3. Its in my backlog.But what I have played of Fallout 3 I know its going to be great.

[Nintex]

I bet Reggie is trying to get NCL on the phone right now, waiting for them to respond while the Pokemon autotune plays.

It all depends on the software they'll announce at the VGA's and beyond.

farnham

Banned
just tray said:
My thoughts on NPD since now I can no longer browse a thread watch people argue over numbers. Just my thoughts and opinions so take them as that.

Wow NBA2K did better than Madden. Which shows quality with a monopoly can produce results. So er maybe I can get the Madden game I've always wanted. I mean We only have been asking since 2005.

Halo Reach? How dare they not market one of the top five exclusives for any system this year? Easily second or best FPS depending on who you ask.The years not over get with it!

Lol just thought of something. Kinect is so good that quietly Microsoft has four different sku's at retail with no plans to cancel any. Smart move.

Nintendo DS- Nintendo doesn't need the Wii. They will support it but the 3DS is their most revolutionary console to date. They can eat off of Wii sales and DS sales.

Move- Sony so anti Microsoft that they cant see that the real fight is them and Nintendo. Both have portable game systems, both have (in the eyes of the public) similiar motion controls.Both online services do not generate the revenue that xbox live generates.Move won't pass Kinect.But great initial sales.

But eventually they will cancel out the kinect-less versions. That and Kinect isn't being sold at a loss,so it may come with a price cut. Microsoft is in a position to counter anything from a Sony or Nintendo price cut

Kinect IS the most innovative hardware product this gen. Just have to beware of the incoming bombardment of shitty games.

Why bet against the best lineup of any motion control device?

Fallout New Vegas? Still have to play Fallout 3. Its in my backlog.But what I have played of Fallout 3 I know its going to be great.

you think another pricedrop (99 dollars) or games like Wii sports 3 or NSMBWii 2 wont help them sell more then 360 ?

farnham said:
you think another pricedrop (99 dollars) or games like Wii sports 3 or NSMBWii 2 wont help them sell more then 360 ?
The strangest thing about that diatribe?

MS has yet to catch Nintendo at all. All the Wii would have to do is coast for the next two years and it would still be above the 360 in the 360's largest market.

Top Bottom