• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari blocks Jeff Minter from releasing TxK on PC, VR, PS4

border

Ladies and gents, here we have gaming "journalism". Where you don't need to know the story before before being an expert on it.

*sigh* :/

Kyle Bosman - "To be fair he took his game to Atari and they said 'no.'"

They acknowledge that Atari isn't playing ball with Minter. Their response is basically "pack it up" if you can't bear to make a game that doesn't look exactly like Tempest and you can't cut a deal with the rights-holder.

stuminus3

Kyle Bosman - "To be fair he took his game to Atari and they said 'no.'"
Atari didn't say no, Atari didn't say anything. They just went straight for the jugular and refused to even discuss it. Which is the point. As Handy Fake says, you could argue forever about whether or not TxK is too similar to Tempest to be allowed to exist (and I personally don't believe Atari can lay claim to anything in it... I mean go take a look at Angry Birds Stella Pop, you think Rovio ever talked to Taito?)... it's an incredibly shitty way for Atari to behave. It's an insult to their own brand. They can't behave like their litigation-happy predecessors in the age of social media and think it's OK.

EDIT: and here's a curious thing that may be relevant. According to the letter Jeff posted, the lawyers came after him not much less than a year ago. They demanded TxK literally be removed from existence, as can be seen on the PDF. Yet almost a whole year later it's still on PSN. You can still buy it and play it on Vita. There's no sign that Llamasoft (or even Sony) or anyone else has any intention of ever taking it down. That's a pretty damning indication of Atari's actual intentions, no?

stuminus3

This is all about having the most resources.
That's what's funny about the whole thing. Money isn't the only resource. Atari have (ironically) killed their own IP, because almost everyone who would be interested in buying a Tempest game now hates them and loves Jeff. They've made their own game series worthless by their own hand.

Agent X

I have read through his post, and it still seem he have manipulated to skew the argument in his favor.

You're totally jumping to conclusions.

I don't mean to single you out here, as you're not the only one in this thread who made this mistake. It's just that your post is indicative of the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset that I'm starting to see from a few posters here.

- The fact that he brings up about the soundtrack being "highly acclaimed; it won a Develop award and went to #1 on Bandcamp", which has nothing to do with whether it is a copy or not.

The last 13 words of that quote are the most accurate thing you said in that entire post. That is exactly right...it has nothing to do with whether it is a copy or not. So why did you even bother to mention it?

Shaneus had a great response to you on this (I'll bold the first sentence for emphasis):

The soundtrack was sourced entirely from the community forum on his website, with all tracks being completely original. If Atari are clutching at such a weak argument as this, then perhaps whoever qualified to make the final judgement might consider the other points to be just as flimsy regardless of whether they are or not.

Not only is that a great point, but I think it illustrates a problem that I'm already seeing pop up in this thread. If you repeat a lie enough times, some people will start to believe that it's actually the truth.

Just because Atari's lawyers made such a specious claim in their document does not make it gospel. Anyone with two functioning ears (or even one functioning ear, possibly) could listen to the music in both games and recognize that the TxK soundtrack is not the same as the Tempest 2000 soundtrack. They are not even close to being the same. Before you ask, they're not "derivatives" or"cover songs" with a few instruments or individual notes changed here and there. They are entirely new and original tunes.

Trust me, I have played both games all the way through to completion, multiple times. There is no way anyone could mistake the TxK soundtrack for the Tempest 2000 soundtrack, whether they heard the music inside or outside of the game.

ArtHands, maybe you haven't played either of the games, and posted your thoughts out of a snap judgment. Regardless, it would benefit you (and others who made the same assumption) to either play both games, or at least fire up some lengthy videos of the games being played on YouTube. It just seems that you (and yes, others here too) are too quick to automatically throw the book at Mr. Minter, without actually doing the proper research first.

Shaneus

So, this was funny. Noticed this on Lucid Games' (maker of Geo Wars 3) Twitter:
D6XxSPK.jpg

Looks familiar, huh?

Oh, Minter was on Twitter today, too:
dTAnzNm.png

t5byjZz.png

He also mentioned he'll file away the emails he received from Amazon and nVidia about porting TxK to the Fire and Shield respectively :/

Bust Nak

r96jjQV.png

Doesn't make you Elvis, but it does give you the legal and moral right to get a cut from the reproduction of Elvis music. Atari could have worked with Minter sure, but it was entirely up to them, and after they said no, Minter can't just carry on regardless. Minter missed up.

Roto13

I gave this game a try the other day, and wow, it's way too close to be ok. It'd be one thing if it was just clearly inspired for Tempest, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference just be looking at it. The names of things are the same. The ship looks the same. It plays the same. It could easily be a level pack for Tempest 2000. If Atari wanted to buy the rights to it and turn it into a Tempest game, the only thing they'd have to change is the name.

It'd be like if Shigeru Miyamoto had left Nintendo in 1987 and released the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 except he redrew all of the sprites (without changing the design) it was called SmB.

Tain

It'd be like if Shigeru Miyamoto had left Nintendo in 1987 and released the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 except he redrew all of the sprites (without changing the design) it was called SmB.

That would suggest that Minter based TxK on T2K's source. It also massively downplays all of the decisions made in the process of programming a game.

Shaneus

No, it wouldn't be like that at all.
It would be like Microsoft releasing a driving game with hundreds of cars that you could modify and race around race tracks, some of which are the same ones as Gran Turismo! But not call it that. Call it Forza or something instead.

Yeah, that'll fly.

border

After Polybius I don't really feel the need to play another Tempest game. Kinda weird that this deal got struck after the water has already been muddied by Minter's most recent Tempest-clone.

CamHostage

I love the out-of-context quote from Minter in the press release:

"At the end of the day, video gamers always win. I am very happy to work with Atari again to bring a long-awaited sequel of Tempest to our legion of fans and a new generation of gamers worldwide."

Top Bottom