• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fight: Lights Out |OT| of Trejo, Soreness, and Move Controllers

leehom said:
My mistake, I found out why I couldn't calibrate it properly. My camera was pointing too high. I moved it earlier and forgot to level it. Once I adjusted the proper height, the calibrations went smoothly and the game is pretty fun.

I'm really bad at the heavy bag, speed bag and precise? punching. I got a 49 on the endurance spar wailing my arms up and down for like 4 minutes. :lol

Good to hear it was just a "doh" moment.
:D

*) Heavy Bag
Heavy bag is just non stop punching. Literally non stop punching.
When the red circle comes up hit it to increase the bonus multiplier and keep punching.
Even if the bag drifts away keep punching it will flop back very quick.

If you get to 15,000 points you can get 50 stat points as a reward.

*) Speed Bag
This is more difficult in that you have to time your punches to a rhythm to increase the multiplier.

*) Precision punching
Just keep practicing. Eventually you will be able to hit each mark and then the bonus multiplier will keep increasing. Eventually you will be getting 50 points each time.

I've been looking to pick this up for awhile, and this thread is really swaying me to do it. But I just had a couple of questions:

Assuming I ignore the online component, how much content is in the game? Like how many opponents are there to battle? How long would it take to "complete the game"? Are there unlockables? etc.etc.

leehom

I played about three hours today...I don't think I'm going to be able to get off my bed tomorrow :(

I don't understand how the biometrics work, I burned a total of 288 kcal?

leehom said:
I played about three hours today...I don't think I'm going to be able to get off my bed tomorrow :(

I don't understand how the biometrics work, I burned a total of 288 kcal?

That's just during matches.
It doesn't seem to count/add in things like training events.

Edit: I also couldn't move well the next day so you're not alone

I don't often do this because its a waste of time but I just went to metacritic and followed up on a bunch of review sites for this game...

What the hell? How on EARTH did so many sites review this game so inaccurate? They aren't just a little bit off they are miles off.

Most of the complaints are that the tracking is slow and the punches don't do much damage. That's exactly what raising your stats updates. Once you raise stats even 30% of max the in game character fights stellar with 1:1 motion at 60 FPS accurately.

I was, at first, blaming the review sites saying they were unprofessional retards... But seeing the avalanche of negative review sites slagging the game I came to another opinion.

The game devs for the Fight could have avoided this entire thing if they simply explained it with a simple loading screen billboard "increasing stats in the gym will make your fighter faster, stronger, and hit more accurately".

Or alternatively include an arcade mode with maxed out characters.
(Like making an arcade mode where you control Danny Trejo and go pound people)

I decided to log in to a few sites and at least tell them WHY the review was off but it probably won't make any difference.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
YulB.Yeung said:
I've been looking to pick this up for awhile, and this thread is really swaying me to do it. But I just had a couple of questions:

Assuming I ignore the online component, how much content is in the game? Like how many opponents are there to battle? How long would it take to "complete the game"? Are there unlockables? etc.etc.
This review covers it pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV4XcXz2EGA

YulB.Yeung said:

There's like 150 people to fight. I don't know anyone who has beaten the entire single player ladder so I don't think anyone can tell you how long to completion.

There are unlockables for your fighter like clothes & stat modification bonuses.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
There's like 150 people to fight. I don't know anyone who has beaten the entire single player ladder so I don't think anyone can tell you how long to completion.

There are unlockables for your fighter like clothes & stat modification bonuses.

I'm nearly there. Just gotta finish off the last three areas. Probably ~6 hours if you played through all the areas nonstop after grinding your stats up into the 50's.

Psykotik

this game is awesome. just finished playing a few matches.

great workout. what i do each day is hit the punching bag training sessions once or twice and level up my stats before going in to fight a coupla dudes.

i'm usually too wiped after that and stop playing until the next day :lol

UntoldDreams said:

Thanks for the info, sounds good!

Psykotik said:
this game is awesome. just finished playing a few matches.

great workout. what i do each day is hit the punching bag training sessions once or twice and level up my stats before going in to fight a coupla dudes.

i'm usually too wiped after that and stop playing until the next day :lol

I do training days /fighting days...
one night I train for an hour, the other I fight for an hour...

Freshmaker said:
I'm nearly there. Just gotta finish off the last three areas. Probably ~6 hours if you played through all the areas nonstop after grinding your stats up into the 50's.

In comparison, I think I spent 8 hours on this game at least and I've only just beat the very first group. I guess it makes a big difference if you still have to learn how to box when you start this game. :D

Afrikan

Maastricht said:
In comparison, I think I spent 8 hours on this game at least and I've only just beat the very first group. I guess it makes a big difference if you still have to learn how to box when you start this game. :D

I said it awhile ago, if anything...anyone who plays this game for a while will learn how to punch properly...or at least alot better than before :lol

you have to commit people, don't let you arms drift downwards while punching.....which usually happens to me when I'm starting to get exhausted, lol....buuut after starting to get beat up again, it motivates you to MAN UP and follow through on your punches!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Maastricht said:
I was thinking I should've added in, "Assuming you never lose a match." Then I figured that nobody would ever want to play the game for six hours straight so the estimate doesn't mean that much. :lol

Besides, that last area is brutal. I tried the second row, got hit once, and my stamina drained to nothing. I tried to rest, my stamina stayed down, I finally got some back, and one punch had the meter down to nothing yet again... Stupid brass knuckles. (Or is that a result of a nut shot?) They ought to be illegal or something.

Edit: Cleared out the last area. The final boss...

:D

The game calls him: The Boss.

I'm betting he's going to be picked a lot once the use the bosses patch comes out.

I can only hope that Chuck Norris is made available via DLC. :lol

I also finally got a match online. Man that was strange. The guy seemed to think he'd found the perfect way to game the system. He marched towards me with one arm in from of him like a flamenco dancer or something (Looked like he was perpetually flexing with his lead arm) then all he'd do is try to punch me through the opening between his arm and his head with his other arm.

I teed off on his gut for a relatively easy win. Don't think he was expecting head tracking.

Freshmaker said:
**The spoiler displays to people when they reply just remove it.**

Congratulations dude!
I think the guy online was thinking that he could keep you at arms distance.
(Again... people will see the spoiler in order to reply be aware of that)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
Congratulations dude!
I think the guy online was thinking that he could keep you at arms distance.
I get the impression he thought he'd found the perfect defense. Or else he was just messing around since it was an unranked match.
(Again people have to see the spoiler to reply be aware of that)
Fixed somewhat.

Freshmaker said:
I get the impression he thought he'd found the perfect defense. Or else he was just messing around since it was an unranked match.

Fixed somewhat.

I noticed that when you hold your arms straight out your endurance will burn out to nothing after a few seconds. Clearly the devs also realized people would do strange things like this and discourage it.

I think against straight line brawlers it actually might keep them at a distance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
I noticed that when you hold your arms straight out your endurance will burn out to nothing after a few seconds. Clearly the devs also realized people would do strange things like this and discourage it.

I think against straight line brawlers it actually might keep them at a distance.
I dunno. He was more or less in the same position that Don Flamenco ends up in after his uppercut in Punchout. He had his left shoulder to me, his lower arm was parallel to the ground at shoulder height, he had his elbow at 90 degrees, and he was having to punch *across his body* with his right. He was generating no real power with that arrangement. If anything, it's an open invitation to get mauled.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
I don't often do this because its a waste of time but I just went to metacritic and followed up on a bunch of review sites for this game...

What the hell? How on EARTH did so many sites review this game so inaccurate? They aren't just a little bit off they are miles off.

Most of the complaints are that the tracking is slow and the punches don't do much damage. That's exactly what raising your stats updates.

Even then, you do more damage when you throw punches correctly. Most of the big damage comes from counter punches. If someone goes in trying to play it like Wii Boxing, they're going to end up doing extra bad.

I still don't understand why the stamina meter is universally panned amongst the professional reviews.

1) It punishes flailing. (Which I think is what most of the time crunched reviewers are trying to do.)

2) It better simulates actual fighting conditions. Throwing punches at a resisting opponent is loads more draining than punching air. (Think sprinting vs jogging. That's the closest comparison I can come up with.) It also adds an extra dimension when you get caught with an especially nasty punch and your fighter gets hurt by the blow. It forces you to back off and try to regain your composure.

3) You can end up with some interesting guts finishes where you're in the red, and you have to force yourself to keep going or your opponent pick you apart. I've managed to grit out some neat comeback wins despite the stamina meter being at zero.

I see frequent calibration complaints in those reviews too. I can understand that because the game's frustrating as hell when the calibration goes wonky. By experimenting, I've found that my calibration tends to go south if there's a strong light source in the background. The PS Eye will lose the move in the lit area, or get confused by the extra light source.

Solution: You'll be fine as long as you aren't being back lit. Strong front lighting is helpful to get the head tracking to work though.

The game really takes on a different dimension once the head tracking works. I really hope the devs work to improve this feature somehow. It's awesome when it's actually registering.

Just bought the game.

Gamespot 5/10?

IGN 3/10??

These reviewers are smoking that gooood shit. And to think I almost skipped this game because of them. Scary thought.

The game is amazing. What a great start to a new genre, as a "serious" attempt.

Head tracking doesn't work but that was expected due to a dark livingroom. Maybe during the day. Can't wait to try online which I hear is very smooth. Sweating my ass off, tired as hell, arms hurting and having a blast.

It's not perfect, but as a boxing and fighting fan, this is the game I've been waiting for since I was a little kid.

I managed to get in contact with someone from Coldwood Interactive (the devs on this game).

I tried to give them constructive feedback and they responded!

1) The game doesn't explain how to do the training gym very well can you enhance it?

They agree it can be confusing and Sony might add some lessons on their blog.

2) I mentioned that the 1:1 tracking seemed great after you raise your stats and that maybe reviewers were being confused by the low stats?

They replied that they weren't sure why people seemed to have so much trouble with the 1:1 motion in the game and that they didn't try to downgrade the actual motion itself.

The "technique" ability trait actually just makes the "auto rotate" tracking better against your opponent. Perhaps when this is low it effects the accuracy of your punch since you might not be facing dead on properly.
Edit: They did mention throwing correct punches helps regardless of stats

Strength trait obviously effects how much damage you can do.

Speed I guess is not related to your punching as much as perhaps your footwork? I should have confirmed this.

** I am somewhat skeptical of this I could have sworn there is some kind of tracking issue at low stats.

Freshmaker can you make a new character on another account with low stats and compare a maxed out character with a new character? You are the only guy who has finished the game and can provide the best opinion.

3) I mentioned that the biometrics was not useful enough for fitness tracking.
How many calories per session per day per week?

They agreed and said a forthcoming patch will add features to display your workout data on a graph over days/weeks/month.

NOT BAD! They are actually listening to the community.

Dark Octave said:
The game is amazing. What a great start to a new genre, as a "serious" attempt.

Head tracking doesn't work but that was expected due to a dark livingroom. Maybe during the day. Can't wait to try online which I hear is very smooth. Sweating my ass off, tired as hell, arms hurting and having a blast.

It's not perfect, but as a boxing and fighting fan, this is the game I've been waiting for since I was a little kid.

I agree its a new genre: "actual fighting game" or something like that.
I've also been waiting for a game like this and its delivering very well.

About the head tracking everyone agrees it sucks but if you can get that working the game will open up a whole new dimension.

I had to engineer the room a bit to get it working. Put a curtain up behind me and put two lamps at the sides to light up evenly. It works fine that way but its certainly only for the hardcore.

It was worth it though! As Freshmaker can attest it opens up a lot of different attack styles. (You can pull off something similar to a Dempsey Roll by side leaning and cracking a blow to the ribs)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
Freshmaker can you make a new character on another account with low stats and compare a maxed out character with a new character? You are the only guy who has finished the game and can provide the best opinion.
I can already tell you that I never really noticed any difference between my movements and what was going on on screen. (I even said as much in my first impressions.) I've only really noticed that my damage has gone up and that I can take a punch better.

Fake Edit: Ok, I actually started a new game on a new profile. To insure that stats weren't changing *anything* I left all of them at 1. No discernible difference in accuracy or speed. (Earned The Surgeon honor first match.)

Replay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFm8HxUeQEE

That aside, my stats are currently all in the low 50's save for tech which is at 48. I'm betting most of the folks ITT have higher stats than me at this point. :D

I do have a few theories why you'd have that perception and why the reviewers are saying what they have been though.

First, if you weren't really up to form when you were starting, then your punches would seem gimpy and slower than they should be. You just got better at the game and chalked the improved response to stats.

For the reviewers: When I lose calibration due to an errant light source in the area behind me, I tend to end up with sloooow gimpy punches that I really have to r-e-a-c-h out on just to get them to halfheartedly connect. Given how many of the pro reviews complain about calibration issues and having to hit O, I think this is what lead to the complaints that the game moved like it was under water.

I've had the game lag up on me once. It did seem to be moving in slow motion then. (Mainly because it was.)

Just for fun, I added a user review to this review. (He seemed to have a lotta odd complaints.)

The Fight: Weeding Out the Boys From the Men

http://digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/35-ps3/6616-the-fight-lights-out.html

Hahaha... Thanks Freshmaker.
That's... enlightening. I suppose its true most people simply aren't actively fighting/sparring so as they level up their character they are also increasing their physical health.

Come to think of it... Most people are "really sore" after their first few sessions and then they get used to it. I would presume that your theory is correct that people are simply "getting stronger" which translates into better gaming and happens to coincide with the amount of time it takes to increase gaming stats.
Edit: also they are learning better form as they play in the gym.

That's actually quite funny.

Edit2: The stats are still important for all of you reading this. The damage you can do in a punch is directly related to both how well you throw the punch and your stats.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Did the dev happen to say what heart did? I think it keeps you in the fight even when your stamina zeros out, but it'd be interesting to know exactly what it does.

Freshmaker said:
Did the dev happen to say what heart did? I think it keeps you in the fight even when your stamina zeros out, but it'd be interesting to know exactly what it does.

Good I will tally up questions for everyone when I communicate with them again.

1) What do the stats actually do? Particularly HEART?
2) Facetracking is very problematic. Any hope for improvement? After setting up two lamps and a curtain I can attest that it does indeed work but it was a pain to get it working.
3) Next question? Anyone here on GAF have something?

UntoldDreams said:
Good I will tally up questions for everyone when I communicate with them again.

1) What do the stats actually do? Particularly HEART?
2) Facetracking is very problematic. Any hope for improvement? After setting up two lamps and a curtain I can attest that it does indeed work but it was a pain to get it working.
3) Next question? Anyone here on GAF have something?

Can the sphere be programmed to show visual damage since the fighter is facing away from us and when you're in battle you don't focus on screen indicators much. How about if the left side of the face is damage or body the left handed controller sphere changes to yellow and as that side gets more damage it changes to red(same for right side) and when he is about to get knocked out flashing red on both controllers.

Also since the game is 1:1 why can't we grab i.e. clinch as a way for survival i.e. like boxer do to prevent getting knocked out and as a way to recover.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It'd be nice if there was a quick match feature online. I hate having to duck in and out of arenas only to find nobody's there 99% of the time.

I have still not managed to get one ranked match. Just that Don Flamenco doof in unranked. Bah.

PSN's Neo-Marg if anyone wants to go at it at some point. This seems like a game that would really come into its own against other people.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Really looking forward to this game when I get it for X-mas (from my wife). Funny how good the user reviews are (see Amazon too) and how poorly some "professional" have reviewed it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
DeadGzuz said:
Really looking forward to this game when I get it for X-mas (from my wife). Funny how good the user reviews are (see Amazon too) and how poorly some "professional" have reviewed it.
Yeah. The only negative reviews I see on Amazon are from people who can't calibrate the Move right.

CozMick

Banned
gluv65 said:
Have you guys seen this? this guy got the headtracking to work perfectly. This video also show off the 1:1 tracking to perfection.

Probably the one time when the title actually is true about motion controls.

The Fight: Lights Out 1:1 tracking is Amazing ( PlayStation Move & Head Tracking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15C8j6o9fKI&feature=player_embedded

I lost faith completely with reviews when I bought this game.

"1:1 doesn't work properly" my ass!

I sent some more feedback to the devs.

*) I asked about the stats and what they really mean. Heart & Speed in particular.
*) I asked them about head tracking improvement.

I also gave out suggestions.
One of them I personally had was to improve the online via championship belts.

========EXCERPT INCLUDED HERE
Online Hall of Fame Championship Title
It hard to motivate people to fight online right now since its a workout and people get tired.
** People need a bit more incentive to make it competitive & fun since its exercise

Since your main customers really are hardcore people who enjoy fighting, it would be good to have some kind of title championship title system.
Maybe you create 100-200 different champion belt titles like "King of England"... "Lion of Afrika"... "Baby Seal of Antarctica"... or something like that.

If you win 5 fights in a row online then perhaps you are a contender for a champion belt? Two contenders can fight it out to see who gets the belt.
Once you have the belt you MUST fight online at least once a week. If you lose the match you lose the belt to the other person.

If you don't fight every week the title is lost back to the main server until two contenders battle it out again and someone receives it.

This type of gameplay mechanic would REALLY serve your customers well. The competitive nature of this alone would probably drive new sales and DLC Power Up Cheats.

Lastly, put up leaderboards specifically about the title holders. Allow people to issue challenges directly too that would be pretty good.

Show the "history log" of title matches so people can build their FAME up.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
For the online, it'd be nice if they offered a neutral stat setting mode for people that just want to fight a decent match without having to grind everything into the 80's.

A.R.K

Amazing video and it shows how well MOVE can perform! This video also shows how "professional" reviewers fail so hard at any thing they are not used to. Looks like most reviewers didn't even learn how to play the game correctly and gave up after a couple of tries and slapped a bad score. Pathetic!

UntoldDreams said:
I sent some more feedback to the devs.

*) I asked about the stats and what they really mean. Heart & Speed in particular.
*) I asked them about head tracking improvement.

I also gave out suggestions.
One of them I personally had was to improve the online via championship belts.

========EXCERPT INCLUDED HERE
Online Hall of Fame Championship Title
It hard to motivate people to fight online right now since its a workout and people get tired.
** People need a bit more incentive to make it competitive & fun since its exercise

Since your main customers really are hardcore people who enjoy fighting, it would be good to have some kind of title championship title system.
Maybe you create 100-200 different champion belt titles like "King of England"... "Lion of Afrika"... "Baby Seal of Antarctica"... or something like that.

If you win 5 fights in a row online then perhaps you are a contender for a champion belt? Two contenders can fight it out to see who gets the belt.
Once you have the belt you MUST fight online at least once a week. If you lose the match you lose the belt to the other person.

If you don't fight every week the title is lost back to the main server until two contenders battle it out again and someone receives it.

This type of gameplay mechanic would REALLY serve your customers well. The competitive nature of this alone would probably drive new sales and DLC Power Up Cheats.

Lastly, put up leaderboards specifically about the title holders. Allow people to issue challenges directly too that would be pretty good.

Show the "history log" of title matches so people can build their FAME up.

great suggestions...surprised its not already in there.

Got a reply from Coldwood Interactive on what the stats actually do!

Strength:
How much damage you do.

Speed:
Increase lean and walk speed. High speed makes quick combos drain less stamina.

Stamina:
Affect how fast/slow stamina bar is reduced when punching.

Heart:
Controls health regeneration, if you got max heart and is not getting hit for a while the health (the red bar) will start to fill up to max 50%. (it takes pretty long time so it's not that easy to notice).

Chin:
Affect how easy you're to knock out (white bar in health).

Tech:
How fast you autorotate towards opponent + autoaim when using dualshock/sixaxis.

Response from Coldwood Interactive:

Regarding Headtracking:
It's a bit tricky, the headtracking needs some light to work good and the Move-controllers work best if it's pretty dark. Since we're tracking the move controllers very fast (60Hz) we have to use a camera feed that isn't perfect the headtracking is hard to get reliable. I do think some of the guys are looking into the headtracking but I can't promise anything. To get best headtracking; pretty soft light, no bright light from the sides, clear backround and no reflective objects in the room. =)

Regarding online tournament championship belts:
They don't use dedicated master/server database so its hard to track things beyond simple leaderboards. Leaderboards apparently are a different system which have lag up to 15 minutes for updating. I guess they must be Sony servers? Regardless, without their own dedicated database of matches they cannot implement online tournament history and keep track of who is a belt owner.

===Anyways
I suppose we can have a "GAF Titlebelt" and just keep track of it manually on the forum.
We'd have to setup rules to play though.

Loudninja

New Patch and DLC Info for The Fight: Lights Out
Hey there, Fight fans. Thanks to those of you who have given us feedback on The Fight: Lights Out since it launched; today we’re bringing you the first update to the game. This update resolves several small issues reported by players and includes the ability to make your fighter transparent in order to get a better view of your opponent.

If that weren’t enough, you will now be able to use all of the boss characters as well as the main man, Duke, to use in both online and offline multiplayer modes as part of the Duke DLC pack.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/30/new-patch-and-dlc-info-for-the-fight-lights-out/

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
Response from Coldwood Interactive:

===Anyways
I suppose we can have a "GAF Titlebelt" and just keep track of it manually on the forum.
We'd have to setup rules to play though.
Any online tournament's going to be tricky unless everyone's in about the same stat range. After catching a guy online who was impervious to damage, and did nothing but hold his arms behind his back... Ugh.

Freshmaker said:
Any online tournament's going to be tricky unless everyone's in about the same stat range. After catching a guy online who was impervious to damage, and did nothing but hold his arms behind his back... Ugh.

Hmm... I guess that's just how its going to be.

Feather Weight = new character low stats
Heavy Weight = nearly maxed out stats

Still I'm pretty sure we can have a go on GAF and uploaded replay videos should be very educational for people on how to fight better in the game. The replay will certainly show who has good technical skills even if the person ends up losing due to stats.

Psykotik

downloading right now!

love this game.

edit: downloading done. transparency is on by default and is pretty subtle. but it's a positive difference nonetheless.

Transparency works well this is pretty cool!
I was concerned they might overdo it but it actually is good.

You can now use any camera angle from the back side and never lose track of what the opponents arms are doing. You can clearly focus on the opponent now instead of having to infer what they were doing.

Top Bottom