• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN account banned. Need advice. :(

Leatherface

*UPDATE 12/13/10*

Just wanted to update others that may have experienced or will experience my situation in the future. I was able to get my account / mac address unbanned from PSN. It took a good hour of fighting though. At first they gave me the whole "i'm sorry but since you did a charge back with your bank, your account is banned forever" speech. That didn't fly with me and I lit them up a bit explaining that the "good guys" who are paying customers should not be getting penalized for the actions of others. I.e. the ones who are actually stealing from Sony. Getting the mac address of the offenders as well as the IP address is not a huge feat and those are the individuals that this should be focused on. This approach is only going to put my hard earned money into Microsoft or Nintendo's pocket instead. blah blah blah something to that effect.

I also told them that I invested a lot of money into my PS3 and PSN and I'm not about to walk away just like that and I will take further action to access the software that I rightfully own. At that point I asked to speak with a manager. I was placed on hold for like 10 minutes and when the agent returned I was told in 1/2 hour my account would be reactivated and he apologized for the inconvenience.

In conclusion- If your account gets banned for shit like this, DON'T just raise the white flag and give up. Fight GAF! FIGHT!!

As for me- I'm not sure how to feel right now. I guess I'm satisfied? ..but still pretty pissed at Sony's approach to this problem and wasting my fucking time. Their customer service pretty much has sucked right from the beginning when I first called them in October (Total opposite of dealing with a company like Nintendo). I may be in too deep to bail out now, but PS4? I'm not so sure....

** Also a word to the fools who think it's a great idea to steal through PSN. Unless you are somehow concealing your MAC and IP address, realize that your PS3 / MAC can and will also be BANNED, and Sony does in fact seek out these offenders. So enjoy all that action.

*12/11/10*

So back in October, while I was on vacation in Disney World, someone purchased $150 worth of games through my PSN account. I have no idea how they were able to obtain my login info but my password was never changed, so I could easily log in to see all the games that were purchased/change my password etc. Anyway, I cleared my billing info out of the PS3 and took it offline until I sorted the issue out.

*Just to be clear, I don't share my account user/pass info with anyone (no game sharing etc). I also live alone with my wife and no one else uses my PS3 unless I am there.*

So I call Sony (what a joy that was btw), and the representative tells me that I need to go through my bank in order for Sony to initiate an investigation. I do this and within a week or two my stolen funds were recovered. Fast forward to now. I finally hook my PS3 up to the network again only to find out that my account is banned. Great. I call Sony again and talk with another representative and now I need to wait until Monday to speak with someone regarding my account.

I feel like a tool for not password protecting my PSN billing info (I could have sworn it was enabled, but thinking back to my last 5 or so purchases I wasn't asked for a password *head smack*). Also, I remember the last thing I did before all of this happened was read a thread here on GAF about the Dead Space 2 beta. Basically, to be considered for the beta, you need to "like" the official dead space 2 facebook page and post your playstation gamer ID. I did that, not thinking anything of it.

All it takes to get an account hacked on PSN these days is to post your gamer ID?

*confused*

How can I prevent this from happening again, GAF? Besides the obvious (not saving my billing info). Also, what are the chances I get my account back and if I can't what are the repercussions? Thanks.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Choose a better password.
Make the PSN ask you to enter your password before you make any purchase.

And then wait until Monday, as you have to do that anyway.

Any hack script monkey could create something to try logging into your account with a dictionary password attack.

If you put your account out there and become "randomly picked" or specifically targeted your best defense is a long, random password.

Mikey Jr.

Log out of PSN and try logging back in. It asks you for your password.

You cant do jack by just posting your ID.

Your pass must have been something extremely easy like qwerty or password123 or something like that.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Log out of PSN and try logging back in. It asks you for your password.

You cant do jack by just posting your ID.

Your pass must have been something extremely easy like qwerty or password123 or something like that.
Holy shit, how did you know my password?

Leatherface

Shurs said:
Were the purchased games on your PS3?

No. but they were in my purchase history on my account so I could download them if I wanted.

btw- my password wasn't a pristine example of security but it wasn't a dictionary word either. It was a mixture of letters and numbers.

I doubt that posting your PSN ID has anything to do with getting it hacked as you don't use it for signing in, they would need your account's email address and password. Out of curiosity, how complex was your password? Was it and your account email address the same as the one you use for your facebook account, for example?

Leatherface

electroshockwave said:
I doubt that posting your PSN ID has anything to do with getting it hacked as you don't use it for signing in, they would need your account's email address and password. Out of curiosity, how complex was your password? Was it and your account email address the same as the one you use for your facebook account, for example?

my email address for facebook is the same as the account log in email for PSN. However, the password was decently secure. Or at least I thought it was (mixture of letters and numbers).

BTW- Have any of you gone through this in or around October? If so, did you happen to sign up for the Dead Space 2 beta of facebook? lastly, is your facebook linked with your PSN account (trying to find a correlation).

LiK

they probably banned it cuz they think your account is compromised. but since you got everything back, i hope you have some luck in recovering your PSN ID. unless you got a ton of trophies or have a big friend list, it's easier just to start a new account.

fyi, i do not have my account linked to my FB.

Massa

You should have changed your PSN *and* your e-mail passwords as soon as you realized your PSN account was compromised.

Good luck with Sony now. :(

Leatherface

LiK said:
they probably banned it cuz they think your account is compromised. but since you got everything back, i hope you have some luck in recovering your PSN ID. unless you got a ton of trophies or have a big friend list, it's easier just to start a new account.

I don't mind losing trophies at all. I'm just worried that if I upgrade my hard drive or buy a new PS3 in the future I won't be able to get access to the games I purchased or use save files attached to my account. Plus I'm constantly removing / re-adding games to save space because I only have an 80g drive. So frustrating! >:|

Massa said:
You should have changed your PSN *and* your e-mail passwords as soon as you realized your PSN account was compromised.

This is what I did.

LiK

Leatherface said:
I don't mind losing trophies at all. I'm just worried that if I upgrade my hard drive or buy a new PS3 in the future I won't be able to get access to the games I purchased or use save files attached to my account. Plus I'm constantly removing / re-adding games to save space because I only have an 80g drive. So frustrating! >:|

ah yea, forgot about DLC and PSN games. definitely redo your PW and i suggest changing your login email as well.

TheHakku

You should have changed your email assigned to your PSN ID, not just the password. If anyone figures out the answer to your security question and your email address, they can reset your password. It's stupid that Sony would even allow this kind of wormhole.

Example: Email is public on facebook API, your security question is something like your mother's maiden name. People related to that side of your family are linked to your profile, and voila... instant access.

I'm sure Sony will be able to sort it out for you. Bummer what you went through, man.

RedSwirl

TheHakku said:
You should have changed your email assigned to your PSN ID, not just the password. If anyone figures out the answer to your security question and your email address, they can reset your password. It's stupid that Sony would even allow this kind of wormhole.

Example: Email is public on facebook API, your security question is something like your mother's maiden name. People related to that side of your family are linked to your profile, and voila... instant access.

I'm sure Sony will be able to sort it out for you. Bummer what you went through, man.

Thank God marriages and parental relationships a generation back in my family are so tangled up that NO ONE would be able to look that up easily or cheaply.

Leatherface

TheHakku said:

Didn't think to change the email address associated with that account. I will now though thanks.

The important question: What did they buy and is it worth keeping?

Yeah. Most of it was worth keeping (except for the PSP games I suppose since I don't own PSP). I didn't dare download anything though. I don't want to be responsible for those games.

G0523- Disney was amazing (except for being robbed while on vacation that is.) :)

Cels

I had a similar thing happen to me a while back. What Sony thought was CC fraud occurred on a sub-account that I was no longer using which banned my PS3 console. My sub-account (which I really didn't care about) got locked down, but my main account was fine, I could login using my PSP. It was just my PS3 that was banned.

Anyhow, called Sony, said no fraud had occurred, and they unflagged everything and life was back to normal, except my sub-account had been wiped of the download history that they thought was fraud and my money had been refunded. I already downloaded it though so I got to keep it for free!

keeblerdrow said:
The important question: What did they buy and is it worth keeping?

Sony'll wipe that $150 worth of content from his download history so unless he already downloaded it (he said that he didn't) then there will be no way to access that content.

Leatherface

*UPDATE 12/13/10*

Just wanted to update others that may have experienced or will experience my situation in the future. I was able to get my account / mac address unbanned from PSN. It took a good hour of fighting though. At first they gave me the whole "i'm sorry but since you did a charge back with your bank, your account is banned forever" speech. That didn't fly with me and I lit them up a bit explaining that the "good guys" who are paying customers should not be getting penalized for the actions of others. I.e. the ones who are actually stealing from Sony. Getting the mac address of the offenders as well as the IP address is not a huge feat and those are the individuals that this should be focused on. This approach is only going to put my hard earned money into Microsoft or Nintendo's pocket instead. blah blah blah something to that effect.

I also told them that I invested a lot of money into my PS3 and PSN and I'm not about to walk away just like that and I will take further action to access the software that I rightfully own. At that point I asked to speak with a manager. I was placed on hold for like 10 minutes and when the agent returned I was told in 1/2 hour my account would be reactivated and he apologized for the inconvenience.

In conclusion- If your account gets banned for shit like this, DON'T just raise the white flag and give up. Fight GAF! FIGHT!!

As for me- I'm not sure how to feel right now. I guess I'm satisfied? ..but still pretty pissed at Sony's approach to this problem and wasting my fucking time. Their customer service pretty much has sucked right from the beginning when I first called them in October (Total opposite of dealing with a company like Nintendo). I may be in too deep to bail out now, but PS4? I'm not so sure....

** Also a word to the fools who think it's a great idea to steal through PSN. Unless you are somehow concealing your MAC and IP address, realize that your PS3 / MAC can and will also be BANNED, and Sony does in fact seek out these offenders. So enjoy all that action.

Zoe

Didn't someone on here get banned from Steam for doing a chargeback? Sounds like standard practice.

Horns

If it makes you feel any better it took me 2 months to get my account fixed when my XBL was hacked with MS. They even restored it to the hacker's email address before my arguing had it fully restored to normal. Flash forward to a recent email (2 years after the hacking), they still copy the hackers email address on some of my Xbox emails. So MS isn't much better. All these companies need to come up with better practices for account theft.

Leatherface

Zoe said:
Didn't someone on here get banned from Steam for doing a chargeback? Sounds like standard practice.

What kind of message does this send? It pays to rip people off and steal from PSN / STEAM etc? Especially when said company has the ability to track a lot of these instances down to a particular IP address. These are the individuals they should be going after. Not banning legitimate, paying customers from their service!!

Horns said:
If it makes you feel any better it took me 2 months to get my account fixed when my XBL was hacked with MS. They even restored it to the hacker's email address before my arguing had it fully restored to normal. Flash forward to a recent email (2 years after the hacking), they still copy the hackers email address on some of my Xbox emails. So MS isn't much better. All these companies need to come up with better practices for account theft.

Absolutely agree. This will only get worse, not better. There needs to be better safeguards in place. For instance, like banking. If I try to do any banking from an unknown IP address, even if I log into the site correctly I need to answer a slew of security questions before gaining access to my money. Seems easy enough. Why not implement this type of security on PSN/STEAM/XboxLive etc?

Zoe

Leatherface said:
Absolutely agree. This will only get worse, not better. There needs to be better safeguards in place. For instance, like banking. If I try to do any banking from an unknown IP address, even if I log into the site correctly I need to answer a slew of security questions before gaining access to my money. Seems easy enough. Why not implement this type of security on PSN/STEAM/XboxLive etc?

Unfortunately most people prefer convenience over security.

Starwolf_UK said:
Sort of (
they didn't initiate the charback though
). Don't know if there any other cases though.

No, it was someone else. I think he purchased something on accident, and he was in contact with support but still ended up doing a chargeback for some reason.

Edit: here it is. It wasn't an accident--something happened between Paypal and Steam, so he opened a dispute with Paypal (at their recommendation).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397474

Horns

Leatherface said:

That makes sense. Whatever they do it needs to be sped up as well. If my credit card number is stolen I can have it blocked and a new one to me in a few days, online PSN/XBL/Steam accounts can take a while to restore. Plus, like in your case, you're a customer of theirs who is treated like a culprit. That is not a good practice.

They also need to prosecute online theft with the same penalties as credit card thieves.

Glad you got it sorted out. I wonder how shitty it would be if this happened on xbox live. I mean it takes an hour just to remove your own credit card off the system.

Horns

out0v0rder said:
Glad you got it sorted out. I wonder how shitty it would be if this happened on xbox live. I mean it takes an hour just to remove your own credit card off the system.

Post #24 is my experience with MS and XBL in a similar situation. tl;dr version - Just as bad.

Leatherface

Thanks for all the comments GAF. Hopefully none of you have to experience this sort of thing. The horrors of Sony / Microsoft customer service have claimed many innocent victims in the past, but the future is what we make it. We have the power of knowledge and change!

obama_hope.png

Top Bottom