• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker media taunts Anonymous; gets hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you have an account on any Gawker site you should probably change your password

So, here we are again with a monster release of ownage and data droppage.

Previous attacks against the target were mocked, so we came along and raised the bar a little.

Fuck you gawker, hows this for "script kids"?

Your empire has been compromised, Your servers, Your database's, Online accounts and source code have all be ripped to shreds!

You wanted attention, well guess what, You've got it now!

Some Gawker employees got their emails, twitter accounts, dropbox accounts hacked. Also servers, databases, chat logs, everything basically.

full story / code dump -> http://pastebin.com/9rRmf6W5 (dead link, it was just the readme.txt file from the torrent)

response -> http://gawker.com/5712615/commenting-accounts-compromised-++-change-your-passwords

Our user databases appear to have been compromised. The passwords were encrypted. But simple ones may be vulnerable to a brute-force attack. You should change your Gawker password and on any other sites on which you've used the same passwords.

We're deeply embarrassed by this breach. We should not be in the position of relying on the goodwill of the hackers who identified the weakness in our systems. And, yes, the irony is not lost on us. For tips on creating strong passwords, see this post on Lifehacker.

and that kids, is why you don't say bad things about Anonymous.

---

adding this to the OP

shagg_187 said:
Will repeat one last time: there are torrents out there with passwords.

Three folders:
"Dumb_passwords.txt" which are, as the file says, dumb passwords (same as one listed on website above). 133kb filesize
"Parsed_db" which is a small portion/sample of the database (64,000+ accounts). 8850kb filesize
"Full_db" which is the entire database with shitloads of passwords (1.3 million accounts). A whooping 73,468kb of filesize (which is A LOT for simple text)!

Good luck!

---

Should I be worried?

If you use the same password everywhere (bad) and you're in here then yes, you should be and you should spend the next 10 minutes changing the password to anything that's important to you.

The passwords are hashed so you might think you're safe but those are 100% useless and easily decrypted.

If you want to check to see if your account has been compromised do this

shagg_187 said:
Follow these steps:

1. http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/
2. Enter your email address under "Input", and click on "MD5". Copy the "Result".
3. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=350662
4. Click on "Show Options" and change the filter to "MD5". Paste the copied "Result" and see if it shows up on search. If it does then your password has been compromised and sooner or later will be hacked if they feel like it.

if you get a hit then your password, email and account name are in the torrent.

update

here's an even easier tool to check

http://www.slate.com/id/2277768

just enter your email and it will tell you if it's in there.

Zozz

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
And that's why Anonymous is fucking stupid and just a bunch of manchildren who are fucking butthurt, wahhhhh
They were being called out on. It would have been bitches if they didn't do anything. If someone calls you out on something, you gotta hit them back in some way otherwise you're gonna look like a bitch.

Zozz said:
They were being called out on. It would have been bitches if they didn't do anything. If someone calls you out on something, you gotta hit them back in some way otherwise you're gonna look like a bitch.
Get called out.

Commit a felony.

AdviceDog.jpg.

Dragon

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Holy shit, the amount of passwords named "password" in that page is atrocious.

You're surprised by the stupidity of man? Number one rule: People are lazy. Not to mention some of these websites (Yes I look at you monoprice!) don't even encrypt their passwords. Those lazy fucks.

Jenga said:
wasn't done by 4chan

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/12/12/2234252/Gawker-Source-Code-and-Databases-Compromised

have been released as a BitTorrent by a group of hackers called Gnosis

Noooooooooooooooo. KOS-MOS!!!

Lkr

i think i have a kotaku account...but what is the point in changing the password now if its already been hacked?:lol

eosos

Banned
Anyone else trying those FTP server and password combos? I am and the thq works. Don't know about the rest but there are screenshots of stuff that's probably old.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jenga said:
wasn't done by 4chan

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/12/12/2234252/Gawker-Source-Code-and-Databases-Compromised

have been released as a BitTorrent by a group of hackers called Gnosis

ah, ok. I kept seeing it being credited to Anon. I don't know how these things work tbh

GavinGT said:
Link to original article trashing Anon?

I think it's this -> http://gawker.com/5590840/4chans-sad-war-to-silence-gawker

Lkr said:
i think i have a kotaku account...but what is the point in changing the password now if its already been hacked?:lol

a surprising amount of people use the same password everywhere.

you must have seen how gaf detectives work by now.

Lkr said:
I don't understand the question. A hash of your account's password is available for (someone) to look at and potentially crack if it's simple enough. If in the future you would like to be sure that someone else isn't logged into your account, you may want to change the password!

If you happen to use the same password elsewhere you'll want to change those too, not just because the current one is potentially known, but because using the same password everywhere is stupid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Herp derp were going to be cool and call out Anon. Seriously, whether you think Anon is good or bad or whatever, why the fuck would you put your business in a vulnerable position? For the sake of making a statement?

Burger

Ahahahghhahasgajhfkld :lol :lol

Hilarious. Look at all these Gawker editors and writers with their lame ass passwords. How many articles has Lifehacker written on passwords, or Gizmodo?

Also thousands of users using 'password' or 'qwerty' as their passwords. You people deserve this.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm fairly sure this all goes back to their reporting on the Jessie Slaughter story.

hsin said:
The world needs them amirite

One day 4chan will save the world by hacking into an attacking alien mothership, Jeff Goldblum style.

hsin

Banned
nyong said:
Script kids is exactly what they are, though. A bunch of angsty anti-social wannabe hacker teens.

The world needs them amirite

Anyway, that's awesome. I love seeing people run their mouths and calling people out only to be victimized. I LOVE IT!!

Lkr

Burger said:
Ahahahghhahasgajhfkld :lol :lol

Hilarious. Look at all these Gawker editors and writers with their lame ass passwords. How many articles has Lifehacker written on passwords, or Gizmodo?

Also thousands of users using 'password' or 'qwerty' as their passwords. You people deserve this.
How many people will REALLY care if their gawker commenting account gets hacked though?

Lkr said:

The hack just got a list of info from the site in its current form, so they only go a dump of info on you and others. If you change your password, then they current info they have on you is useless.

shuri

Banned
eosos said:
Anyone else trying those FTP server and password combos? I am and the thq works. Don't know about the rest but there are screenshots of stuff that's probably old.
.. dont do this shit!:lol

Lkr said:
How many people will REALLY care if their gawker commenting account gets hacked though?

A huge percentage of people use the same username/password combo for all the sites/services they visit, so I'd say some could get pissed

The chatlog... wow.

#
#
Maureen O.
#
hey guess what, 4chan has already declared gawker the winner of the 4chan war! we won!
#

#
Richard L.
#
VICTORY
#

#
Richard L.
#
what'd they say?
#

#
Jim N.
#
USA! USA!
#

#
Richard L.
#
MR. OBAMA, TEAR DOWN THAT MOSQUE!

#

#
Maureen O.
#
they say that this day will go down in history as the day 4chan failed.
#

#
Richard L.
#
that's terrific.
#

#
Richard L.
#
they've been demoted to 3chan

And this is where I will stop visiting any gawker-based website.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nyong said:
Script kids is exactly what they are, though. A bunch of angsty anti-social wannabe hacker teens.

I'm not sure you're able to successfully separate your personal judgment of what kind of people they are from your technical judgment of their ability.

sangreal

magnificent83 said:
Did they really get the entire database, I don't see my active id in there?

Yes. They didn't post them all

edit: actually they said they stopped at I think 1.3 million users

jediyoshi

magnificent83 said:
Did they really get the entire database, I don't see my active id in there?

The accounts listed on the pastebin are only ones of certain passwords, it'd be a fairly lengthy document if everything was listed.
edit:
iOKaS.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom