• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie just can't help himself with the N word...the 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebusman

Banned
That's the bit I don't get. Propping up a guy as toxic as this, who is a beacon of scum for all the little scumlettes to imitate... nothing is going to drive advertisers away faster. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't be able to distance myself fast enough.

Some of them may be playing the long game. If the ad market drops out completely and they're forced into a subscription/patreon based model to sustain themselves, who appears to be the bigger (and likely more willing to pay) audience?

I couldn't tell you the numbers either way, but I bet some of them are betting on the toxic crowd being the bigger (and wealthier) audience.

CookTrain

Some of them may be playing the long game. If the ad market drops out completely and they're forced into a subscription/patreon based model to sustain themselves, who appears to be the bigger (and likely more willing to pay) audience?

I couldn't tell you the numbers either way, but I bet some of them are betting on the toxic crowd being the bigger (and wealthier) audience.

You might be right, but what a shambles. They're safeguarding... yeah right... their future with scumbags against the present they're building/destroying. Playing with matches, best stock up on petrol!

Numb

I wish Bish was still here

He's busy working for Disney making Star Wars money

200.gif

I've been on Youtube (consuming) since the early days....there are a lot of things that baffle me, but the one that baffles me the most is the obsession with what this guy says or does. Every time people forget about him he crops up with something controversial that propels him to the top of everyone's radar again.

As far i can see its only the offensive stuff that propels him. Therein lies the problem.

EMT0

Banned
You're right. I don't have anything to contribute to the discussion. My opinion is divergent, so I think it will not be welcomed here.

Divergent is putting it mildly. Tell us how you really feel, we'd all appreciate a followup to your earlier post.

Jebusman

Banned
You're right. I don't have anything to contribute to the discussion. My opinion is divergent, so I think it will not be welcomed here.

Well I mean you could actually try it.

But if your options were

A. Not post in this thread at all
B. Only post in this thread to complain about it's existence.

I think everyone would have really preferred option A.

But seriously, try us. divergent opinions are always "welcome". Just don't expect to get to say whatever the fuck you want without any blowback.

Markoman

Honest question to the downplayers: what do you guys think would happen if

a teacher in Germany/France/Netherlands... hits his knee on the desk yelling the N-word?
a higher-up in a team meeting dropping his laser-pointer yelling the N-word?
a clerk dropping the N-word in front of customers because he's stressed out?

Of course a guy with more reach than 90% of this planet's politicians has to take responsibiliy for the things he's saying, especially when his audience mostly consists of younger people. Wait, let me stress that for you : he basically has to be even more careful than everyone else, because that's the deal. Did he really think he could pick up those millions and act like he robbed a bank? Well, he better should've ran at the very first possibility if you ask me.

You guys are crazy if you think that a guy who can call himself extremely lucky for getting rich with what he has been doing should get a free card when most of us are not - we all have to face the consequences of our mistakes. This celeb c..k sucking mentality needs to go asap.

L Thammy

Your opinion, as stated earlier in this thread, is

Why is someone counting how many times he says a certain word? Get a life!

So first off, you're diminishing an ethnic slur as "a certain word". You know what that word is and what it's been used for. You're also insulting the people in this thread who care, including the people who are probably much more affected by that word than you, because they aren't as apathetic as you.

The issue isn't that your opinion is divergent. It's that you don't care about anyone other than yourself, and look down on people for not being as selfish and apathetic as you are.

Since your post history was mentioned and I'm the naturally curious type. You also posted "So are the developers SJWs now?" in a thread titled "Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee." That was a thread where Playtonic removed JonTron's voice from their game for espousing his white supremacist views.

So when you look down at people for being upset at an entertainer popular among children using racial slur and you're dismissive about people taking a stand against white supremacy, what is that divergent opinion of yours? Why is it that people might not like it?

No, it isn't even fucking close.

Run along with that ignorance, now

L
O
Fucking
L

Ignorance at its finest, ladies and gents.

Since everyone is taking this statement to jump on me, I will just clarify that what I meant by "the same thing" and "equivalent" was not that they are equally offensive or have the same negative weight. It was meant as it has the same intent in it's use (which I even later explained). To belittle and offend someone based on their race.

People imply I'm a racist for saying hey how about let's not use racist slurs of any level towards any group of people. And then in the very thread where they rightly condemn the use of a racist slur, they defend someone in this thread's use of another one. I'm no racist I promise you. Everyone likes an old fashioned witch hunt though I guess. Keep jumping to conclusions.

I can't wait for his racism to come in the form of a full blown Jon Tron style rant.

"They're just words put in the shape of sentences! Why are you so obsessed with this collection of words that could quite frankly mean anything if you pronounce it in a weird way! You're the real problem! You're the one giving these words their power!"

Which is what?

Probably something along the lines of, "PDP saying the n word is no big deal, words are just words" with a big emphasis on "stop talking about this, leave PewDiePie alone."

I can't help but read "who cares about what our child influencers are and the behavioral norms they create" from this.
Really? Youtube is a horrible place I'd never let my child near, I hope it all dies! This bizarre "community" has changed games into some weird emo bull-shit for both sides.

It was fun for a bit, but it's boring now.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah, but for every 100 hundred fans you'll get at least one stan. That's what I was talking about. Power means shit. PDP isn't even in control of his goddam tongue. Does anyone really think this dumb little boy has power?

The thing is, those internet controversies can get out of control in no time. Do I have to remind us all that ---rewind 15 years---y'all would've called me crazy if I told you that people of the future are going to make millions just playing videogames with a cam in front of their face.

That's the truth, especially that he can't seem to control his own tongue. If he had the right mind he could use his influence, position in youtube, and money in a powerful way. If he wanted, he could hire people that could do the thinking for him, it would be for nothing if he doesn't have the drive to follow their advice though.

In a few years adults will be able to say they grew up on Pewdiepie. Thank goodness he's not American, he'd be overqualified for president by then.

Painguy

Can you please explain this to me? Because I really cannot understand it at all.

You say in the same breath that he does what he does because he's "dumb" and not because he hates people of a certain race.

Countless people have told him that saying those words is literally showing hate to people of that race or at least people of that race construe it to be hate speech.

So are you saying that he's too dumb to even understand something so direct and simple told to him by literally thousands of people by now?

Or is it most likely that he doesn't give two shits that what he says hurts a certain group a people and by that disdain shows his hatred toward said people?

Well I wouldn't say that he doesn't give two shits. he tried to censor himself this 4th time. Habits of any kind (bad or good) take time to correct. I do think he does make an attempt since he stopped with anti-semetic jokes thankfully. This n-word slur happened recently so seeing him make an attempt to censor himself is good IMO. I think it is good that people are very adamant about pointing out his mistakes. Criticism is necessary very necessary. I just didn't quite understand why others were so quick to also condemn those who didn't criticize him as harshly. From what I am gathering it seems that aside from providing your own input, many here feel that a soft condemnation can result in a sort of butterfly effect? Am I understand that correctly? I still don't completely (I kind of get it) see how that is the case, and feel it can result in some rude discussion in a number of ways. In many ways its an admirable en devour I suppose, but I feel it can also do a bit of harm to be perfectly honest :p But I do appreciate you and 1 other poster taking the time to explain this in a much more respectful manner than some others.

kiaaa

Since everyone is taking this statement to jump on me, I will just clarify that what I meant by "the same thing" and "equivalent" was not that they are equally offensive or have the same negative weight. It was meant as it has the same intent in it's use (which I even later explained). To belittle and offend someone based on their race.

To be fair, you haven't done a very good job of establishing that point. Chastising that poster for adding more fuel to the racism fire is one thing, but you took it in some weird direction.

DerpHause

Really? Youtube is a horrible place I'd never let my child near, I hope it all dies! This bizarre "community" has changed games into some weird emo bull-shit for both sides.

It was fun for a bit, but it's boring now.

You called it a children's show while dismissing the issue at hand with the content. Perhaps the intent was to point at the "Man-child" variety of children, but that wasn't clear first, and second certainly doesn't make it better from a standpoint of behavioral influence, especially from someone who's name is the definition of success in their medium.

As far as it being boring, that's just a half done way of saying you don't care. Mind you not caring is fine on your personal level, on a greater level I'd rather not see the attitudes associated with the origin of that word reinforced by its casual use.

I kind of have a personal stake in that, so it's not so boring to me.

To be fair, you haven't done a very good job of establishing that point. Chastising that poster for adding more fuel to the racism fire is one thing, but you took it in some weird direction.

I had people telling me it wasn't racist and to "look up the origin." I should have been more clear and said they are meant to be used in the same way, instead of just saying they are the same thing. It didn't even cross my mind that that could be interpreted as "the same degree of offensiveness" as I was only thinking of the same intent.

Markoman

That's the truth, especially that he can't seem to control his own tongue. If he had the right mind he could use his influence, position in youtube, and money in a powerful way. If he wanted, he could hire people that could do the thinking for him, it would be for nothing if he doesn't have the drive to follow their advice though.

In a few years adults will be able to say they grew up on Pewdiepie. Thank goodness he's not American, he'd be overqualified for president by then.

You know what's interesting? I bet everyone of us went through a "damn those suits"-phase in life, dreaming of a utopia where artists are in full control. If anything Youtubers have taught us lately that you should be cautious with what your wishing for. Some people are better off on some sort of leash I guess.

PewDiePie refused to understand why people were upset about his use of Nazi imagery and anti-Semitic pranks. He was quick to push back to criticism and condemnation and never really constructed an understanding for why he was catching fire, and instead tried to turn the narrative into a victimized one (where he was conveniently the victim) that he and his dedicated followers could get behind when they tried to turn the Wall Street Journal's apparent journalistic irresponsibility reporting on the issue into the real story of the entire incident. He'll take the first train he can get out of this station, too, and it's either going to be some "media mob is mean to me" narrative or he's just going to go all-in on some alt-right anti-liberal, full-stop-bigot pushback.

Right now, he's just enjoying the limelight of his controversy and trolling back until a narrative he can latch onto hits, where he's either the hero of the story or the victim of the story. Of course he wasn't going to mean shit-all with his apology in the first-place -- he's already demonstrated he doesn't give a shit about how his words and jokes affect people, and he has a platform of viewers that don't seem to budge significantly enough when he fucks up that he literally has no incentive on his platform to quit or to adjust.

He's the current peak of visible gamer culture, and it's kind of ugly and disappointing.

thumb

Banned
Since everyone is taking this statement to jump on me, I will just clarify that what I meant by "the same thing" and "equivalent" was not that they are equally offensive or have the same negative weight. It was meant as it has the same intent in it's use.

The problem is jumping into a discussion about a word that encapsulates centuries of pain, torture, and enslavement, and then calling special attention to a single instance of an incredibly weak term that tends to just roll off white people's backs. It makes you sound petty. It makes you sound like you don't actually grasp the gulf between the two words, even though you say you do.

If all you want to hear is that--at a high level of analysis--both words express racial prejudice, you're correct, they do. And the world would be better without these words used in such a manner. But it's wise to ask yourself when to engage in that discussion. I don't think this is the right context.

Edit: This is too glib. See a follow-up.

Nanashrew

Banned
PewDiePie refused to understand why people were upset about his use of Nazi imagery and anti-Semitic pranks. He was quick to push back to criticism and condemnation and never really constructed an understanding for why he was catching fire, and instead tried to turn the narrative into a victimized one (where he was conveniently the victim) that he and his dedicated followers could get behind when they tried to turn the Wall Street Journal's apparent journalistic irresponsibility reporting on the issue into the real story of the entire incident. He'll take the first train he can get out of this station, too, and it's either going to be some "media mob is mean to me" narrative or he's just going to go all-in on some alt-right anti-liberal, full-stop-bigot pushback.

Right now, he's just enjoying the limelight of his controversy and trolling back until a narrative he can latch onto hits, where he's either the hero of the story or the victim of the story. Of course he wasn't going to mean shit-all with his apology in the first-place -- he's already demonstrated he doesn't give a shit about how his words and jokes affect people, and he has a platform of viewers that don't seem to budge significantly enough when he fucks up that he literally has no incentive on his platform to quit or to adjust.

He's the current peak of visible gamer culture, and it's kind of ugly and disappointing.

To add to this, he even tried to make money off the nazi controversy and his fight with the WSJ. http://www.craveonline.com/design/1...aturing-mimicking-hitler-says-context-matters

And you KEEP posting threads about it... What do you guys think will change? Serious question. This GIVES HIM VIEWS which in turn gives him money. I almost think that those of you that keep making these threads are actually encouraging him to do more because its a guilty pleasure for you. Stop giving him views.

Loudninja

And you KEEP posting threads about it... What do you guys think will change? Serious question. This GIVES HIM VIEWS which in turn gives him money. I almost think that those of you that keep making these threads are actually encouraging him to do more because its a guilty pleasure for you. Stop giving him views.
We are not going to sit here and ignore racism.

It does not work it never has they need to be call out every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom