• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steelers QB Roethlisberger regrets not being on field for anthem; releases statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
how would you feel if you released this statement only for your veteran teammate to release his statement regretting being on the field and feeling as if he threw his coach and teammates under the bus while being supportive of any of his teammates who choose to kneel during the anthem?

To be perfectly honest, Alejandro Villanueva's explanation for being out there alone was every bit as bullshit as Tomlin suggesting that not being on the field was an apolitical statement. The whole ordeal is a shit show.

the more people make a big stink about an 'anthem' the less respect I have for this tradition as a whole. IT IS the right time to protest if the ideals it stands for does not seem to reflect or match the quality of your life.

GRIP

Uppity black man that has the second greatest receiving numbers in the history of the NFL? No Hall of Fame. Gotta teach that boy a lesson.

Peacefully kneeling black man? Never gonna throw another pass in the NFL.

White rapist? Cover-up. Icon. HoF lock.

Hate to break it to you, Pittsburgh fan, but that was the first accusation. The second one was two years later where the responding officer called the victim a bitch, never questioned Roethlisberger, and then resigned after the media frenzy.

Literally has nothing to do with the post I was responded to, but thanks for chiming in.

Alucrid

Banned
To be perfectly honest, Alejandro Villanueva's explanation for being out there alone was every bit as bullshit as Tomlin suggesting that not being on the field was an apolitical statement. The whole ordeal is a shit show.

oh sure, but it makes roethlisberger look even worse which i can get behind

andthebeatgoeson

People on a forum calling Rape-burger a dummy isn't affecting his free speech
What about my 1st amendment right of freedom from criticism? I said something first, therefore you have to respect it and not respond or critique it.

Smh, people act like thoughts are like baseball. 'Ben's statement is on first so it's safe, you can't tag it out. Nuh uhhn!'

harSon

Banned
Uppity black man that has the second greatest receiving numbers in the history of the NFL? No Hall of Fame. Gotta teach that boy a lesson.

Peacefully kneeling black man? Never gonna throw another pass in the NFL.

White rapist? Cover-up. Icon. HoF lock.

I definitely agree that there's certainly a tangible difference in the way that Quarterbacks and position players are treated, as well as black players from their white counterparts. And the league definitely has a fucked up moral compass for what's grounds for being blacklisted, and what isn't. But...

Warren Moon settled a sexual assault case out of court, and was accused of domestic violence - and the dude finds himself immortalized in Canton. Marvin Harrison and Ray Lewis were possibly stone cold killers, and... yeah. So these types of comparisons are difficult to make.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
As long as Ben respects the rights of his teammates to do what they want to do and doesn't tell them they can't kneel, he can believe standing for the anthem is the right thing to do if he wants. Completely entitled to his opinion. As is everyone else.

Why are people saying fuck Tomlin? The entire team agreed to stay in the tunnel, which makes what Villanueva and Ben did subsequently a piece of shit move.

Xyrmellon

Guy has always been a giant piece of shit. Not surprising.

I do put a lot of this on Villanueva and Tomlin though too. Villanueva because he agreed to stay off the field then snuck out there so he could be the only one standing and be able to get a nice cut of merch sales.

Tomlin because he tried to play the middle. Tomlin handled this in the worst way possible and is going to lose control of the locker room now that fingers are pointing everywhere.

Uh yeah, I'm sure the offensive lineman was totally thinking about his jersey sales and not that he's a vet.

blakep267

I have heard this question today and I wonder that too.

When has the army coopted the flag and the national anthem? Because apparently it's now all about respecting people in uniform...
It's a trick to make you hate BLM etc. you can't talk bad about it the troops. It's sacrilege. So they strategically attached the protests to the military. Kaep isn't remotely protesting the military at all. But you see how the narrative has changed to kneeling is punching a vet in the face

Bluecondor

Why are people saying fuck Tomlin? The entire team agreed to stay in the tunnel, which makes what Villanueva and Ben did subsequently a piece of shit move.

I agree. I am a lifelong Steeler fan, and was impressed yesterday by how Tomlin was out in front of this and making the case that the Steelers had made a team decision to sit out the anthem.

Now we have several of our players calling one another out in the media, which completely undermines Tomlin's "team decision" stance.

ironmang

empty apology. he knew what he was doing when he went out there.

Really shouldn't have apologized anyways and instead they should have just let whoever wanted to stay in the locker room do so. Same for kneeling, standing, whatever.

It was unanimous?

Bluecondor

It's a trick to make you hate BLM etc. you can't talk bad about it the troops. It's sacrilege. So they strategically attached the protests to the military. Kaep isn't remotely protesting the military at all. But you see how the narrative has changed to kneeling is punching a vet in the face

I agree - and the worst part about it is that I believe that Trump did this knowing that it would work for his intended purpose. It is very clear that Trump wants to hand pick Luther Strange as the replacement for Jeff Sessions as the senator from Alabama, and that he would expect Strange to be "loyal" to him permanently moving forward. Trump's approach for doing this is to equate the support for Strange with opposing "people who talk bad about the troops".

The "Southern Strategy" that the Republican Party has employed since the days of Richard Nixon is chilling. It's basically a blueprint for how Republicans have drummed up support in the Deep South through thinly-veiled references to race.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You don't have to be standing inches away from someone to be united. Unity can simply be having everyone respecting one another and their right to handle the situation the way they desire.

Players standing 5 feet apart instead of right next to each other, where one is standing and one is kneeling can be totally united if each respects the other individual's right to express their feelings in their own way.

Obviously, if(and I stress if because I haven't seen players criticize each other) they are criticizing each other, it doesn't seem they were that united in the first place. Villanueva was an Army Ranger, and teammates should respect his feelings and desire to stand and do what he wants during the anthem, just like he should respect his other teammates desire to do what they want. As long as everyone is on the same page, there shouldn't be a problem with team unity.

Fuck Tomlin because as usual his team came unprepared to fucking deal with a shitty team on the road.

The hide in the locker room bullshit didn't help.

Ouroboros

So, pretty much Roethlisberger in a nutshell, amirite

img_56989e8a77656.jpg

What about those cops that didnt want to take the field or participate somewhere or some shit like that? Wasnt that patrotic of them?

Holy shit guys. Put your pitchforks away. Is this the norm when someone has a different stance than the majority gaf view? Freedom of speech, unless it's not your opinion?

People talking about Jerry Richardson is a good ole boy redneck supremicist because he said he respects our vets.

People are making too big of a deal on these anthem protests. Then dumbass Trumpsicle gotta make it 10x worse. I just wanna watch foosball.

Stand up, sit down, free country. NFL anthem is not going to be the spark that we want it to be. Much bigger than that.

It's almost as if people have a problem with a holier than thou statement about how important the troops and the national anthem are to him, when the protests were never about the military to begin with, coming from a piece of shit rapist. Anybody who brings respecting the troops into this debate is deflecting. This was never about the military, Kaep made himself very clear about why he was doing what he was doing from the start.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Big Ben always has been a piece of shit, so no surprise here.

Also, I don't believe Villanueva's excuse.. sure buddy, a flag stopped you... yet everyone else made it to the tunnel to stand.

Own it or STFU.

tbm24

Sounds like he took a look at social media and got spooked. Glad to know that’s what it takes to say fuck protesting for equal rights.

Lol you can't prevent a vet from standing for the anthem unless you want a huge shitstorm.
Players/staff should be allowed to do what they want individually whether it's staying in the locker room, kneeling, standing, whatever as long as it's tasteful.

Then they shouldn't have stayed in the locker room to avoid "making a statement" and let those who wanted to kneel to kneel... which they ya know didn't

Yes, users on here have a very authoritarian streak.. I dont agree with Big Ben but he has the right to say it and hes not saying that his teammates or anyone in the NFL shouldnt be allowed to sit for the anthem. Hes expressing his personal stance on it and is calling for unity while supporting his teammates. I dont agree with it but this whole thing is about freedom of speech.

Criticism is not authoritarianism.

It's crazy that now if you stand for the Anthem some consider you rude. No win.

That's not at all what's being expressed

Sarobi

Banned
Big Ben Rapist Burger don't like the negative feedback he's getting from the white supremacist crowd? Should of said he was trying to tie his shoe and didn't know the anthem was going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom