• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead Space 2 trailer. Demo coming December 21st [Update: Demo Out Now]

Man, this just makes me want to replay the awesomesauce of Dead Space 1.
Hivemind ending
withstanding, I can't find a fault in it's game on Hard mode. Just can't.

Demo did all it needed to sell me on this game.

• Improved Visuals
  • Creepy atmosphere
  • Didn't let me feel safe for a second
  • Made me jump and say, "SHIT!!"

Hope you guys aren't playing this while there is still light out. The game deserves to be played in the dark. I'll download it now but play it tonight.

.la1n

I was a little hesistant after reading what they were doing to make the game more "action." After playing the demo I can safely say that all the scares and atmosphere are still there. The graphics are even more impressive than the first which is saying quite a bit since I still consider it one of the better looking games this gen. Played on 360 & PS3 and noticed zero significant differences. Gametrailers mileage may vary based on contrast settings.
lols

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Just played the demo(PS3 version) - a bit on the short side for anyone that played DS before, but overall feels like original with more polish.

Positives:
- Framerate in bigger rooms
- Shadows are a bit higher res, and more lights seem to be shadowcasting
- Controls are more streamlined without breaking stuff that worked
- Window views are as atmospheric as ever.

Not really sure:
- Artstyle is on the iffy side. Early areas that are closer to DS1 style fine, and have some nice new touches like frost etc. The
"chapel"
area on the other hand looks like something straight out of original Doom or Wolf3D in places. I realize 1st game had it easy with the ship-setting, but I'm not feeling the new stuff at all.
- New no-gravity controls - in original having to jump around without mid-air control made for some of the most tense moments in the entire game, and was a real highlight IMO. Now I'm not so sure - guess I need to see more of the game.
- Necromorph details are missing, in DS1, even dead bodies would still have stuff crawling and things. I didn't realize it then, but it feels noticeable blander now that it's gone.

Negatives:
- No Move support :(

gcubed

Xater said:
Having Move in both would be awesome. The controls are tight though so it will still be fun. This is still miles above RE5 (without Move).

no doubt, i'm still getting this game day 1. Just would have been awesome with a good move implementation... these games are made for move / wiimote

.la1n said:
After playing the demo I can safely say that all the scares and atmosphere are still there.
Got to agree with that!

Just finished the demo on the 360 and I just want to say FUCK The Pack (the little kids) Necros. Had the volume all the way up and I nearly shat myself at that part. :lol

Great stuff, Visceral! Loved the demo. Can't wait for that Collector's edition to arrive in late January! :D

Mafro

Been a while since a demo made me jump out of my skin. Glad I wasn't holding my cup of coffee at the time :lol

Demo was sick! Like absolutely loved it and I even jumped! Can't wait for the full game. Unfortunatly I'll have to wait a couple weeks after release since I am asking for it for my birthday in Febuary.

big_z

That stupid hacking thing is too hard and I wish stuff would make a bigger thump when turning off zero gravity. Other than that I liked the demo.

jarosh

camera controls are waaaay too sensitive even on the lowest setting.

sure seems like they turned up the gore factor (the death animation for isaac when i died fighting that huge spider like thingy just wouldn't end and kept getting grizzlier and grizzlier, jesus) and the overall aggressiveness of the enemies by several notches. kinda pushing my tolerance levels. not sure if i'll get this anymore :/

kaskade

I need to finish the original. I'm probably about half way through. I don't know why I stop. The game is damn good.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jarosh said:

sure seems like they turned up the gore factor and the overall aggressiveness of the enemies by several notches. kinda pushing my tolerance levels. not sure if i'll get this anymore :/

Wow really? Is that sensitive? (not played this yet. Just asking)

big_z

jarosh said:

sure seems like they turned up the gore factor and the overall aggressiveness of the enemies by several notches. kinda pushing my tolerance levels. not sure if i'll get this anymore :/
If I remember correctly this demo takes place 1/2-3/4 of the way through the game. Using stasis is a must and it would explain the aggressive ai.

Nizz

These impressions are killing me! I wish I could play this demo now. Watch the US PSN store update late as hell tonight. :(

BruceLeeRoy said:
Cant wait! I love this series sooo much. The true king of survivor horror is back baby!

JambiBum said:
Official thread?
I second this! :) I always enjoy Bruce's official threads.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fafalada said:
Negatives:
- No Move support :(

That's why I didn't bother making an HK account just to download this. :p
Will wait for tomorrow release on EU Store.

big_z said:
That stupid hacking thing is too hard and I wish stuff would make a bigger thump when turning off zero gravity. Other than that I liked the demo.

How is the hacking thing hard? Sorry, I found it extremely easy so just wondering what you had a issue with.

Also did anyone else say "OH SHIT" when
all the babies came bum rushing you?
. My mouth was wide open. I actually died the first time.

*edit* Bruce, I think you should totally handle the Official topic. Just saying. :D

Demo wasn't scary, uses the same stuff DS did that wasn't scary. It is fun though, mowing down necro toddlers is really satisfying. I'll buy it when it's cheap. The only downside is that the online community will probably be dead by then.

jarosh

TTP said:
Wow really? Is that sensitive? (not played this yet. Just asking)
yes, but it's nothing that would break the game. i just remember it being waaay slower in the first game. and i dug that. standard setting is 2. lowest is 1, highest 10. i really don't know why they bothered with anything higher than 5. it's ridiculous: on 10 you barely touch the sticks and the camera turns like 360 degrees.

big_z said:
If I remember correctly this demo takes place 1/2-3/4 of the way through the game. Using stasis is a must and it would explain the aggressive ai.
yes, that makes sense. i used stasis a lot. but it runs out super fast.

i'm just talking about personal tolerance levels for this stuff. highly aggressive enemies + extremely gory is pushing it for me and makes me uncomfortable. but your mileage may vary of course. dead space 1 always seemed surprisingly tame to me in that regard.

big_z

slasher_thrasher21 said:
How is the hacking thing hard? Sorry, I found it extremely easy so just wondering what you had a issue with.

Also did anyone else say "OH SHIT" when
all the babies came bum rushing you?
. My mouth was wide open. I actually died the first time.

*edit* Bruce, I think you should totally handle the Official topic. Just saying. :D
Finding 3 blue spots in the time given was a pain in the ass. I don't know If I missed some instructions but it felt totally random and getting it correct was luck.

jarosh said:
i'm just talking about personal tolerance levels for this stuff. highly aggressive enemies + extremely gory is pushing it for me and makes me uncomfortable. but your mileage may vary of course. dead space 1 always seemed surprisingly tame to me in that regard.

Honestly I didn't see anything here that made me think this one was way gorier then the first. Did you not see some of the killer death sequences in the first?

big_z said:
Finding 3 blue spots in the time given was a pain in the ass. I don't know I missed some instructions but it felt totally random and getting it correct was luck.

Ahhh ok. Yeah I just moved the stick around in a 360 till it turned blue. Moved it back to that spot and pushed the button. I had a harder time figuring out what the hell to stasis after hacking the console. I looked around forever.:lol

BruceLeeRoy said:
What is the official release date?

January 25th!!!

jarosh

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Honestly I didn't see anything here that made me think this one was way gorier then the first.
maybe you didn't screw up the spider thing fight on the first try like me, then :p

i honestly don't remember the death animations being this excessively grizzly in ds1. or maybe i never failed any of these timed events in the first game? i mean, first the spider monster rips off your leg and you scream in agony for a few seconds, then it impales you through the mouth and the camera goes into an extreme close-up, then it rips off your head and after enough blood's squirted out of your neck it finally decides to tear you in half. and this whole thing lasts for like 10 seconds. don't get me wrong: if that's your thing, if you enjoy that or simply aren't bothered by it, then there's nothing to worry about. there's nothing mechanically wrong with the game/demo (outside of the aforementioned ultra sensitive camera controls); the insane gore doesn't detract from the gameplay or impact it in any way. it's just not for me personally.

jarosh said:
Same here, especially the death sequences kind of bothered me.
And what's with the "stomp dead enemies in order to get items" thing? That wasn't in the first game, was it? That seems pretty retarted if you ask me, why fix what isn't broken?

Overall it seems like more Dead Space to me, although I can't really talk about the graphics since I played the first one on pc (and I plan to do the same with this one btw).

jarosh said:
maybe you didn't screw up the spider thing fight on the first try like me, then :p

i honestly don't remember the death animations being this excessively grizzly in ds1. or maybe i never failed any of these timed events in the first game? i mean, first the spider monster rips off your leg and you scream in agony for a few seconds, then it impales you through the mouth and the camera goes into an extreme close-up, then it rips off your head and after enough blood's squirted out of your neck it finally decides to tear you in half. and this whole thing lasts for like 10 seconds. don't get me wrong: if that's your thing, if you enjoy that or simply aren't bothered by it, then there's nothing to worry about. there's nothing mechanically wrong with the game/demo (outside of the aforementioned ultra sensitive camera controls); the insane gore doesn't detract from the gameplay or impact it in any way. it's just not for me personally.

Ahhhh yeah I didn't see THAT. DAMN... I had the spike gun out and one shot and it let me go.

Decado

kaskade said:
I need to finish the original. I'm probably about half way through. I don't know why I stop. The game is damn good.
Same here! I think I got stuck on hard mode, though. Will finish original before getting this.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
New Trailer: "The Story So Far"

It's a bit of recap, but there's some new footage at the end showing where Isaac wound up. Very good way to catch up for people who haven't play DS or it's been a while for them. Also,
Isaac's in a straitjacket? Cool

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/exc...-The-Story-So-Far-Trailer-World-Premiere.html

Not sure since I can't watch this at work, but the demo itself has a pretty awesome recap when you start it up. Could be the same one perhaps. It was so good, in fact it made me want to replay the first one. :D

Red

jarosh said:

DS1's death animations could be pretty gruesome, but they were quick. Sounds like they're extending them in DS2 for the gore factor. Sounds more annoying than anything, really. If I die, I want to restart right away.

jarosh

Mt Heart Attack said:
Same here, especially the death sequences kind of bothered me.
And what's with the "stomp dead enemies in order to get items" thing? That wasn't in the first game, was it? That seems pretty retarted if you ask me, why fix what isn't broken?
ah yes, i should have mentioned that too. that also added to the overall grizzliness for me and seemed to be another clear indicator of them consciously turning up the gore. actually, that's the one thing that does have gameplay implications and it might have turned me off more than i was initially aware. i'm not sure if it would affect my enjoyment of the game in the long run or if i agree that it "breaks something that didn't need fixing", since i have a hard time separating my uncomfortableness (is that a word?) from my analytical thinking regarding that mechanic.

Crunched said:
DS1's death animations could be pretty gruesome, but they were quick. Sounds like they're extending them is DS2 for the gore factor. Sounds more annoying than anything, really. If I die, I want to restart right away.

I wonder if you can skip them? Also this spider thing in the demo, I somehow don't think its going to be a regularly occuring enemy, at least not to the point where you would see this death sequence a million times. I could be wrong but that would be my guess honestly.

jarosh said:
ah yes, i should have mentioned that too. that also added to the overall grizzliness for me and seemed to be another clear indicator of them consciously turning up the gore. actually, that's the one thing that does have gameplay implications and it might have turned me off more than i was initially aware. i'm not sure if it would affect my enjoyment of the game in the long run or if i agree that it "breaks something that didn't need fixing", since i have a hard time separating my uncomfortableness (is that a word?) from my analytical thinking regarding that mechanic.

For some reason, I jammed on the boot stomp button and Issac seems to go ape shit with the stomping, it actually made me laugh when I continued to stop the dead enemies with the squish noise. Not sure if it was just the speed and animation of it all or what. It gave me a chuckle.

Crunched said:
DS1's death animations could be pretty gruesome, but they were quick. Sounds like they're extending them is DS2 for the gore factor. Sounds more annoying than anything, really. If I die, I want to restart right away.
Make them skippable -> problem solved.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I wonder if you can skip them? Also this spider thing in the demo, I somehow don't think its going to be a regularly occuring enemy, at least not to the point where you would see this death sequence a million times. I could be wrong but that would be my guess honestly.
Regular enemies death scenes are rather long as well, at least in the demo.

Mt Heart Attack said:
Regular enemies death scenes are rather long as well, at least in the demo.

Well lets hope they are skippable then, I plan on playing this my first time through on the hardest setting. O_O

Just finished the demo...so fucking good. I loved it.

Hey, BruceLeeRoy, if you're doing the official thread, I'll gladly help out in anyway I can.:D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StuBurns said:
They look identical. The first one was pretty close too if I remember correctly. Impressive.

Yeah, Visceral is pretty good at parity. Dante's Inferno was equal as well.

Dax01 said:
Just finished the demo...so fucking good. I loved it.

Hey, BruceLeeRoy, if you're doing the official thread, I'll gladly help out in anyway I can.:D

Dax your a king! Unfortunately I don't know if I will have time to but Ill let you know.

Top Bottom