• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Arnie said:
Is it the fact that one needle manages to kill her whilst she's transparently survived situations much more lethal over the course of the game?

TacticalFox88 said:
I think what's makes it so bad is that
Kat was killed akin to a random sniper in a WWII movie. There was no "OMG Kat" (I know their Spartans and what not, but still they barely mourned her.) After they walked out the door, Kat is never mentioned again at all, IIRC. What. The. Fuck. Most blatant disrespect of character I was starting to like.
Both, and more. Rant incoming.

First, the cause of death. She's a Spartan, part of point of the game is to show how capable Spartans are, she's been through tons of battles taking lots of damage, and dies to one shot without warning or explanation.

Worse, it could have been addressed in-game. When the explosion goes off, Kat is not wearing her helmet. She has to dive for it to pick it up. Her death would make sense if she didn't have it on, either because she lost it in the blast or because she was just running with it in hand. But she puts her helmet on then gets domed a moment later by a shot she - and Six, and everyone else - can and has shrugged off through the entire game. So on the basis of the in-game fiction, her death makes no sense at all.

Second, it's the execution (pardon the pun). It happens so suddenly, and her fate is not clear right away, but the piano music kicks in almost the moment she hits the ground. There's no pause to let the moment sink in. It's "shoonk!" *cue music*

When it first happened I'm like, What happened? Is she dead? Who shot her? Why is sad piano music playing all of a sudden? WTF?

I think there needed to be some kind of dramatic space between the event and the sad music to allow the moment to sink in. I find it comic how it plays out, the timing makes me laugh, despite what's happening. I think the scene of the Noble Team firing on the Phantom should not have had music at all, and then faded in the piano theme with the shot of the team awaiting pickup.

And finally, the only closure she gets is that dramatic shot of Noble Team waiting for pick up, Carter holding Kat's corpse. She's forgotten after that.

Shot out of nowhere, with no explanation of how or why that would kill her, cheesy music fired up instantly without any pause to transition the scene, character instantly forgotten.

She's my favorite character in the game, and as far as the series goes my favorite aside from the Arbiter. And her demise feels arbitrary, badly thought out and perfunctory. They needed to start knocking off characters, she's domed, the game moves on.

For me, Bungie was largely successful in getting me to like the characters and find them to be a believable squad. But they way they pay that off was, well, inept, and that's not a word I generally associate with Bungie's work in any department.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Halo 2 will continue to have the best story, the best characters, the best music, the best cutscenes, the best multiplayer....well, you get the idea.

Man I fucking love Halo 2 so much. And to think it ended up being a rush job on Bungie's part because of their engine.

MrBig

Domino Theory said:
Halo 2 will continue to have the best story, the best characters, the best music, the best cutscenes, the best multiplayer....well, you get the idea.

Man I fucking love Halo 2 so much. And to think it ended up being a rush job on Bungie's part because of their engine.
I don't get why more people don't follow this. It really is the best. It actually tried to tell a story. It held the most fiction. It was the most diverse. The multiplayer was addictive. Reach is bland in comparison, even if it is more grand and feature rich.

Domino Theory said:

Wow, the irony is true there. Bar the texture popping, those cutscenes were amazing. *Cue hood.jpg*

ODST and Reach are like polar opposites in some regards :lol

Domino Theory said:

If only they would've kept that E3 level. Sooo gooood.

MrBig said:
I don't get why more people don't follow this. It really is the best. It actually tried to tell a story. It held the most fiction. It was the most diverse. The multiplayer was addictive. Reach is bland in comparison, even if it is more grand and feature rich.
I can't wait to play the first 343i project. They're really trying to fix the fiction(First Strike).

GhaleonEB said:
Both, and more. Rant incoming.

First, the cause of death. She's a Spartan, part of point of the game is to show how capable Spartans are, she's been through tons of battles taking lots of damage, and dies to one shot without warning or explanation.

Worse, it could have been addressed in-game. When the explosion goes off, Kat is not wearing her helmet. She has to dive for it to pick it up. Her death would make sense if she didn't have it on, either because she lost it in the blast or because she was just running with it in hand. But she puts her helmet on then gets domed a moment later by a shot she - and Six, and everyone else - can and has shrugged off through the entire game. So on the basis of the in-game fiction, her death makes no sense at all.

Second, it's the execution (pardon the pun). It happens so suddenly, and her fate is not clear right away, but the piano music kicks in almost the moment she hits the ground. There's no pause to let the moment sink in. It's "shoonk!" *cue music*

When it first happened I'm like, What happened? Is she dead? Who shot her? Why is sad piano music playing all of a sudden? WTF?

I think there needed to be some kind of dramatic space between the event and the sad music to allow the moment to sink in. I find it comic how it plays out, the timing makes me laugh, despite what's happening. I think the scene of the Noble Team firing on the Phantom should not have had music at all, and then faded in the piano theme with the shot of the team awaiting pickup.

And finally, the only closure she gets is that dramatic shot of Noble Team waiting for pick up, Carter holding Kat's corpse. She's forgotten after that.

Shot out of nowhere, with no explanation of how or why that would kill her, cheesy music fired up instantly without any pause to transition the scene, character instantly forgotten.

She's my favorite character in the game, and as far as the series goes my favorite aside from Cortana. And her demise feels arbitrary, badly thought out and perfunctory. They needed to start knocking off characters, she's domed, the game moves on.

For me, Bungie was largely successful in getting me to like the characters and find them to be a believable squad. But they way they pay that off was, well, inept, and that's not a word I generally associate with Bungie's work in any department.

Jorge and Six had the only really good deaths in the game, even though I know you disagree about Jorge. Carter's execution was botched slightly in that he went from fine to about to die with no indication of what happened or even a hint (the Pelican's in perfect shape- they didn't even crack the damn windshield!), and Kat and Emile just arbitrarily died because someone needed to die for Emotional Moment or plot advancement.

Lazslo

Ayo H-Gaf I made this before Christmas but just got a chance to post it. I made it on my iPad with some sketchpad app. Took an couple nights but was fun considering I don't have an artistic bone in me...Cheers.
YiYdL.png

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lazslo said:
Ayo H-Gaf I made this before Christmas but just got a chance to post it. I made it on my iPad with some sketchpad app. Took an couple nights but was fun considering I don't have an artistic bone in me...Cheers.
YiYdL.png

MC needs to lay off the cookies, he's gotta at LEAST be ranked mythic by the looks of him.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You probably could have done a better job on the Samsung Galaxy Tab :/

I'm not trolling

Yes I am lol

Dax01 said:
While there are plenty of problems with Reach's story/storytelling, I played the campaign recently, and damn, the ending still got me. I love it; so good.
The ending cutscene's horrible, though.
They had so much potential, and they ruined it by having Halsey say her lines like she's on speed, and a fade to white that's way too soon.

I thought, however, that it's not fair to flame on Bungie and not show it can be done better. So I made this. To me, this is better. It's still not perfect, but I like it a hell of a lot better than what ended up in the game. (endgame spoilers)

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
Jorge and Six had the only really good deaths in the game, even though I know you disagree about Jorge. Carter's execution was botched slightly in that he went from fine to about to die with no indication of what happened or even a hint (the Pelican's in perfect shape- they didn't even crack the damn windshield!), and Kat and Emile just arbitrarily died because someone needed to die for Emotional Moment or plot advancement.
Yeah. With
Jorge I think it was bad reason, excellent execution. I love the first person shots, falling away from the ship, how Jorge hands off the dog tags, and then chucks Six out the door.

And the very last bit of gameplay in Reach's campaign is, I think, the best interactive story telling in the series. Just a brilliant way to finish the game and the series.

MrBig

Just had a game where it went to black screen and the flags switched sides. No one on my team noticed so we ended up losing 1-0 because some chap on their team went and just picked up the flag in their own based and automatically scored. And then their flag reset to their based after the normal reset time.

flags.jpg

Gui_PT

UltimaPooh said:
Dunno if it's been posted but Reach one best Multiplayer game and best 360 only game at Giant Bomb.

Here is a hilarious play through of the game with the Giant Bomb guys: http://www.giantbomb.com/game-of-the-year-2010-day-02-recap/17-3633/ The play through happens after they get through a few of the awards.

I like how they say Hologram is useless in MP since everyone learned how it works.
Whenever I use Hologram in a match, people fall for it over 90% of the time.

And for a bunch of guys who play videogames for a living, they are very ignorante :lol

Still a cool video, thanks for the link.

MrBig said:
Just had a game where it went to black screen and the flags switched sides. No one on my team noticed so we ended up losing 1-0 because some chap on their team went and just picked up the flag in their own based and automatically scored. And then their flag reset to their based after the normal reset time.
Happened me on Paradiso a while back, glad to see it wasn't an isolated thing... oh wait.

Halo needed a game changer and boy oh boy does Halo have one. This encapsulates what Halo players see every day. Has someone quit out? Is the host migrating? Or is it simply routinely showing up every few matches at the very least?

black_screen.jpg

Halo: Refined

P.S - The image is a tad big sure, but we can all agree to have seen this at some point :p

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. With
Jorge I think it was bad reason, excellent execution. I love the first person shots, falling away from the ship, how Jorge hands off the dog tags, and then chucks Six out the door.

And the very last bit of gameplay in Reach's campaign is, I think, the best interactive story telling in the series. Just a brilliant way to finish the game and the series.
Well, personally the
The only death I liked was Emile, I mean he goes out like a badass. Even though you'll always remember him for his death, and he meant nothing to you before then, that's still better than nothing. Six's death I can't feel for. He/She literally has no personality.....well, then again all of them really don't. But still, he almost NEVER speaks and when he died I was ...."UM...ok?"
Bungie kind of drop the ball on this one.

Blue Ninja said:
They had so much potential, and they ruined it by having Halsey say her lines like she's on speed, and a fade to white that's way too soon.

I thought, however, that it's not fair to flame on Bungie and not show it can be done better. So I made this. To me, this is better. It's still not perfect, but I like it a hell of a lot better than what ended up in the game. (endgame spoilers)
We're all conservative. We hate the campaign because it hasn't a legendary ending. :lol

Hypertrooper said:
We're all conservative. We hate the campaign because it hasn't a legendary ending. :lol
I love the campaign, right up until that final cutscene. :lol First time I saw it, I thought it was bad, but in the after-cutscene contemplation it hit me even harder. I hate bitching about Reach, but seriously, that cutscene...

8729_1221012171821_1424444615_30634702_7288187_n.jpg

feel

Lazslo said:
YiYdL.png
I'm slightly offended by the irresponsible use of papyrus, but other than that nice job!!

TacticalFox88 said:
I think what's makes it so bad is that
Kat was killed akin to a random sniper in a WWII movie. There was no "OMG Kat" (I know their Spartans and what not, but still they barely mourned her.) After they walked out the door, Kat is never mentioned again at all, IIRC. What. The. Fuck. Most blatant disrespect of character I was starting to like.
Incorrect.

She's mentioned on "The Package," where Emile says, "Really missing Kat right about now." And one of them, I can't recall who, said that Kat was right about the mission: they weren't just there for a torch and burn.

Blue Ninja said:

I'm not seeing what's so horrible about it; she talks like she does in-game. And the two versions you linked to sound exactly the same to me.

Gui_PT

Reach's ending is one of the best endings I've seen in a videogame.

And I'm really picky about these things, so that's saying a lot.

Gui_PT said:
Reach's ending is one of the best endings I've seen in a videogame.

And I'm really picky about these things, so that's saying a lot.
I like it, too! But it was always a tradition in Halo to get a special ending when you complete the campaign on Legendary.

Dax01 said:
Incorrect.

She's mentioned on "The Package," where Emile says, "Really missing Kat right about now." And one of them, I can't recall who, said that Kat was right about the mission: they weren't just there for a torch and burn.

I'm not seeing what's so horrible about it; she talks like she does in-game. And the two versions you linked to sound exactly the same to me.
Look and listen closely. A lot of you will just look at it and move on, but I guess I look at it from a different perspective than most of you, considering you don't even notice.

In the original final cutscene, she talks extremely fast. True, she talks like she does in-game, but she delivers her speech so quickly it cuts the scene short.

The music used in the scene is brilliant. The final part is an excellent place for a well-placed fade into Halo's future, but what did Bungie do? They cut it off beforehand, leaving us to stare at a white screen while the music is still playing. It may have worked in Halo 2 (the tics of black for Marty at the end were a great touch), but this is not a cliffhanger. There's no shock to absorb, nothing.

The concept of the scene is great. The execution is flawed.

Hypertrooper said:
I like it, too! But it was always a tradition in Halo to get a special ending when you complete the campaign on Legendary.
True, but Bungie said they wanted everyone to experience the ending to their involvement with the franchise. Can't say I blame 'em, it's a good decision. It's a reward for every Halo fan, even the ones who can't bother to sit through the credits or play through on the hardest difficulty.

I also can't see anything they could add as a Legendary ending after that peaceful ending of the final cutscene. Suddenly cutting back to Jun, for instance, would just seem off to me.

Blueblur1

Domino Theory said:

MrBig

I accidentally the whole thing

Their scorpion spawned on top of me as I was driving a warthog and I subsequently raped their team. Half my team quit at the beginning. Fucking randoms

neoism

Thagomizer said:
If you look closely, the Elite that almost decapitates Jorge is a Field Marshall- you can see the horns. He runs away like a bitch, blows past Emile at the entrance, and escapes. The Zealots you kill are his bodyguards/assistants.

jump to 0:45.
:lol :lol It is sad I've beat that level like 20 times, and I just now noticed that... :p

neoism

Domino Theory said:

It has the worst campaign, which isn't really saying anything becasue it was fuck awesome. I only played about 600 games online. I loved it. For me it's

Campaign
H1=Reach>H3>ODST>H2

Multi
Reach>H3>H2>H1( Sadly I only played 3 players max in halo 1.) But I probably had the most fun ever on Prisoner, which is still my favorite map... <3

neoism

Gui_PT said:
I like how they say Hologram is useless in MP since everyone learned how it works.
Whenever I use Hologram in a match, people fall for it over 90% of the time.

And for a bunch of guys who play videogames for a living, they are very ignorante :lol

Still a cool video, thanks for the link.
:lol :lol yeah I can't even watch some of their vids because of this. I mean WTF wasn't that one guy with IGN for like 10+ years... lol

neoism

I was really disappointed at first with Reach's last level...
POA
After the cut-scene something just didn't feel right. Its sad but I have yet to even see the damn credits.:lol I played it through with my cousin, which I've done with every Halo game so far. :/ I wish I'd gone through it solo though. I didn't even know about the "last level" until 2 days later :lol The game was awesome after that. :p I just wish I could see the medals without scoring on, plus I like knowing how long I've been playing
POA
is the last level I need to beat on L so I guess I'll see them then.

GhaleonEB

The Reach campaign has stopped paying out credits for me. I noticed it last night going through ONI Sword Base, where very seldom did a cR indicator pop up in the corner. Never when my gunner was killing guys in the Warthog, and about ever five or six kills when I wasn't. The Commendations payout at the end of the mission was just a couple hundred, despite killing 169 enemies. I just started Nightfall on Heroic, beginning mission #3 of the play through this week. I assassinate the Elite and Grunts at the beginning, but no cR reading. Curious, I quit out - and yup, no Commendations notched for killing them, and zero cR payout.

I just tried again, and played a touch further, shooting a few guys. 2 of the 7 had a +2 cR reading pop up. I quit out, and yup - just 4 cR paid out.

Not sure what's up. Normally some credits pay out for every kill. I just did a co-op mission with my daughter and she was getting 4-6 cR for every kill.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
The Reach campaign has stopped paying out credits for me. I noticed it last night going through ONI Sword Base, where very seldom did a cR indicator pop up in the corner. The Commendations payout at the end of the mission was just a couple hundred, despite killing over a hundred dudes. I just started Nightfall on Heroic, beginning mission #3 of the play through this week. I assassinate the Elite and Grunts at the beginning, but no cR reading. Curious, I quit out - and yup, no Commendations notched for killing them, and zero cR payout.

I just tried again, and played a touch further, shooting a few guys. 2 of the 7 had a +2 cR reading pop up. I quit out, and yup - just 4 cR paid out.

Not sure what's up. Normally some credits pay out for every kill. I just did a co-op mission with my daughter and she was getting 4-6 cR for every kill.

I read on HBO earlier today that after you achieve Silver status for a Commendation, you stop getting per-action cR, but it does advance you to the next status (Gold, Onyx).

I really don't like how cR is tied to Commendations and how little you get for it. :(

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
I read on HBO earlier today that after you achieve Silver status for a Commendation, you stop getting per-action cR, but it does advance you to the next status (Gold, Onyx).

I really don't like how cR is tied to Commendations and how little you get for it. :(
Really? Do you have a link handy?

That's not the case for Firefight or Multiplayer. And the Legendary guide specifies that you earn cR for each individual incident. Why would they remove earning credits for playing the Campaign? (This isn't aimed at you, I'm wondering out loud.)

Edit: I just did a test. And you're right, I advanced Pinpoint, Cannon Fodder and Leadership Element, but did not get any cR at all. They're all Silver Commendations.

What the hell?

Edit: found the thread. I don't think this makes any sense at all, and said so in the HBO thread. It's a pretty bit chink in the investment system to remove commendations from the Campaign. 0_0

Kujo

Domino Theory said:

Halo 2 is great, it just does it's own thing and that's why I love it. It's like the Majora's Mask of the Halo series.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
Really? Do you have a link handy?

That's not the case for Firefight or Multiplayer. And the Legendary guide specifies that you earn cR for each individual incident. Why would they remove earning credits for playing the Campaign? (This isn't aimed at you, I'm wondering out loud.)

Edit: I just did a test. And you're right, I advanced Pinpoint, Cannon Fodder and Leadership Element, but did not get any cR at all. They're all Silver Commendations.

What the hell?
yeah I don't get shit for beatdowns anymore ... :( Bungle should do a Campaign commendations reset.
: So, by time a player gets all his Campaign commendations to onyx, he will
: have earned 128,625 cR from both per-action and grade turnover credits. He
: would have earned 688,225 cR if Campaign commendations worked like MP and
: Firefight commendations.
It's not even that many credits, when 16.5mil is max. :\

Halo 2's campaign is the only one wich I can't replay. It's really poorly paced, glitchy, and decidedly non epic. I got to delta halo and just gave up. Bad encounters are the rule, not the exception.

Mp wise, I played more of it than 3, but that has more to do with college vs real world than anything else. I like variety, where halo 2 and ce don't do so great.

GhaleonEB said:
The Reach campaign has stopped paying out credits for me. I noticed it last night going through ONI Sword Base, where very seldom did a cR indicator pop up in the corner. Never when my gunner was killing guys in the Warthog, and about ever five or six kills when I wasn't. The Commendations payout at the end of the mission was just a couple hundred, despite killing 169 enemies. I just started Nightfall on Heroic, beginning mission #3 of the play through this week. I assassinate the Elite and Grunts at the beginning, but no cR reading. Curious, I quit out - and yup, no Commendations notched for killing them, and zero cR payout.

Bungie knows you hate the campaign.

GhaleonEB

Nightfall. Heroic. Solo. No deaths (yet), going for the Flawless Cowboy Commendation.

Just arrived at the Hunters, but decided to head back to the previous encounter and see if the rockets I left behind - opting for the DMR and sniper - are still there. They're not, sadly. I start to head back.

Mistake.

reach_11839113_Full.jpg

First person.

Third person.

It doesn't show in the pic or videos, but right at the end the "advance further into the dark zone" mission objective appears. And I'm thinking, how much further into it can I advance? :lol

I'm thinking someone read my posts today and flipped a switch.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm thinking someone read my posts today and flipped a switch.

A Wizard Jason Jones did it.

(game probably did it because of the final area loading, causing the Waterfront area to deload, or however you say it)

edit: or something..third person shows the area still around o_O

Top Bottom