• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Malcolm9

To answer the framerate question they both run well on PS4 Pro, admittedly I chose to run GTS in performance mode rather than quality when given the option at demo start. I've noticed a minor amount of screen tear in PC2 when I've had a large field with very wet weather and lots of screen effects but its a massive improvement on the wet performance in the first game.

Visually its hard to compare like for like as they are both doing quite different things. PC2 has the full dynamic weather and time of day so a lot of the time it can look amazing especially with the track surface changes, but occasionally you get a combination that just looks flat. GTS doesn't have any of the dynamic time of day or weather (so far) so is immediately in deficit but goes for a broadcast look and achieves something outstandingly realistic at times. There's no one element of GTS visually in game that is better than PC2 but GTS uses a measured approach so everything comes together into something more than the sum of its parts, with the lighting and shaders used selling the environment well in most of the baked time of day settings it gives you.

For my two cents, gameplay wise, GTS is easier out of the box and has more to do outside of just driving. But PC2 is a better racing game when you have it dialled in to your preferences, but it does take some effort to do.

I'll enjoy both for what they are, and see how they improve over the next 12 months. PC2 needs to quash some bugs and become more approachable and consistent whilst GTS needs to grow its track roster and begin offering some of the weather options PC2 already gives you.

Thank you for your detailed response, much appreciated.

GT has the lighting down, it just needs to up the quality of environmental assets next gen. I think the topography is no pretty good, as is how details come together in the distance...but the vegetation needs to be all 3d next gen...I've been complaining about the vegetation since GT3

MilkyJoe

36900694914_3bf25f8113_o.png

37578935662_530b6aeff9_o.png

37578936532_7be22f90ac_o.png

37578934242_9c6e30919f_o.png

Well that's slightly different to what we've seen.

So got to play the GTS demo yesterday on a PS4 phat, and I've played quite a bit of FM7 on a Xbox One S, no HDR on either, but here are some thoughts in comparison:

-GTS has the upper hand on tarmac and some of the environment textures, they just look more detailed. Guessing the Xbox One X texture pack will close the gap.
-Scenery looks about to be on the same detail level imo, Forza 7 seems to have a little less static scenery with a bit of moving stuff thrown in to liven the passing scenery up a tad more.
-Actual in-game car models look pretty on par, while cars into the distance both loose quite a bit of detail fairly quickly. Both games suffer from aliasing.
-GTS nails lighting more consistently. Although Forza can look just as good at times, while other times a bit off. I do like the dynamic weather approach in FM7 though, would be nice with a similar thing in GTS.
-Forza 7 seems to have the more clean image quality with better IQ, GTS has quite a bit of blurring going on.
-Cockpit view in GTS is nice, looking back on the analogue stick shows me a view through the back window which I enjoyed as a nice detail. Forza 7 cockpit is more immersive with more shaking etc, while GTS' looks somewhat static. Project Cars beat them both here though. I like that I can change the FOV in GTS though!
-Rooftop cam in GTS is a joke, could they really not be bothered to place a proper hood cam on the 86 chassies they have? Exterior camera in GTS is also very strange and requires tweaking in the options which seems really unnecessary.
-The seaside track and oval in GTS look great, while the rally track looks like a poorly designed 3D environment, it really stood out as ugly. Then again why play rally in a racer like this when Dirt etc has this covered so well?!
-Do we need huge, low res sparks constantly flying in the oval GTS? The sparks in GT3 were much less frequent and more subtle, even back then.
-The AI in GTS seems to jsut drive in a line with a set gap between each car, while the drivatar stuff in FM7 goes completely beserk at times with a destruction derby. Guess both need an overhaul here.

While the visuals heights of GTS look better than Forza 7, the consistency in FM7's visuals are better I think.

And the whole "GTS is a generation apart" BS needs to stop immediately, it's an embarrassing and stupid remark. They are clearly both very close visually, focusing on slightly different visual approaches. Both are beautiful racers on stock hardware for this gen.

So got to play the GTS demo yesterday on a PS4 phat, and I've played quite a bit of FM7 on a Xbox One S, no HDR on either, but here are some thoughts in comparison:

-GTS has the upper hand on tarmac and some of the environment textures, they just look more detailed. Guessing the Xbox One X texture pack will close the gap.
-Scenery looks about to be on the same detail level imo, Forza 7 seems to have a little less static scenery with a bit of moving stuff thrown in to liven the passing scenery up a tad more.
-Actual in-game car models look pretty on par, while cars into the distance both loose quite a bit of detail fairly quickly. Both games suffer from aliasing.
-GTS nails lighting more consistently. Although Forza can look just as good at times, while other times a bit off. I do like the dynamic weather approach in FM7 though, would be nice with a similar thing in GTS.
-Forza 7 seems to have the more clean image quality with better IQ, GTS has quite a bit of blurring going on.
-Cockpit view in GTS is nice, looking back on the analogue stick shows me a view through the back window which I enjoyed as a nice detail. Forza 7 cockpit is more immersive with more shaking etc, while GTS' looks somewhat static. Project Cars beat them both here though. I like that I can change the FOV in GTS though!
-Rooftop cam in GTS is a joke, could they really not be bothered to place a proper hood cam on the 86 chassies they have? Exterior camera in GTS is also very strange and requires tweaking in the options which seems really unnecessary.
-The seaside track and oval in GTS look great, while the rally track looks like a poorly designed 3D environment, it really stood out as ugly. Then again why play rally in a racer like this when Dirt etc has this covered so well?!
-Do we need huge, low res sparks constantly flying in the oval GTS? The sparks in GT3 were much less frequent and more subtle, even back then.
-The AI in GTS seems to jsut drive in a line with a set gap between each car, while the drivatar stuff in FM7 goes completely beserk at times with a destruction derby. Guess both need an overhaul here.

While the visuals heights of GTS look better than Forza 7, the consistency in FM7's visuals are better I think.

And the whole "GTS is a generation apart" BS needs to stop immediately, it's an embarrassing and stupid remark. They are clearly both very close visually, focusing on slightly different visual approaches. Both are beautiful racers on stock hardware for this gen.

To add to this as someone who has played both in HDR.

1, GTS HDR implementation is better than FM7. FM is a bit too dark and when boosted then loses out at the top end. However I think Horizon 3 has them both beat when it comes to HDR.
2, I'd say 8/10 times Forza looks better in race than GTS, certainly much less sterile. But due to the dynamic lighting you do get overcast races in Forza that look pretty flat.
3, GTS replays are far better. Forza camera work is poor. But GTS replays focus more on the car to try to hide some poor scenery. The various effects at work in GTS replays are superb, but I think it's the camera work more than anything that make them look much better than FM7. I'd love to see what FM looked like with good replay cameras.
4, GTS cockpit view is a bit sterile. And it's a shame there's no proper hood view. Forza 7's new "driver" view is something that GTS could have done with.
5, When looking its best GTS is the better looking game. But Forza 7 is much more consistent - and is doing more in terms of number of cars on the track, weather etc. The GTS low points are more obvious due to the inconsistency. Like playing the rally track and just thinking "eeewww".
6, Outside of race GTS is obviously the better looker - the focus on scapes etc.
7, I wish GTS had more options for the HUD. It's very much all or nothing. And the all is a bit much. FM7 offers more choice here.

They are both good looking games. One reaches some dizzying heights. The other is more consistent. With camera/car movement, weather, lighting changes, - Forza is more thrilling in race. GTS is a lovely showcase of cars, and replays and scapes are amazing. Though I'd prefer more of the focus to the most important part - in race.

Thanks to yesterday's improved Nvidia driver I've been playing more PC than Xbox FM7 over the last 24 hours. Playing in 4KHDR. It'll be interesting to see how similar the Xbox One X version is to that or whether there are some other tricks for that version. Oh for a replay mode that did justice to how FM7 looks in 4K. GTS owners are in for a treat when it comes to replays. But I race more than I replay.

I'm still unsure whether to get GTS for my Pro. At times it's gorgeous. But it feels a bit soulless to me. And my last four games purchases are Dirt 4 (PC), WRC 7 (PC), PCars 2 (PC) and Forza Motorsport 7 (PC/Xbox). I might be too full of cars for now :)

700+ Cars vs 150(+-) cars

Some models will of course look worse.

Maybe we should compare a higher quality Forza 7 Cockpit?

From what I've seen you could compare cockpits all day long and there would still only be one winner. Forza just doesn't seem to nail their shaders and lighting as well as PD do. I mean that leather on the Mazda looks awful and what's going on with the top of the dash on the left?

Alexious

From what I've seen you could compare cockpits all day long and there would still only be one winner. Forza just doesn't seem to nail their shaders and lighting as well as PD do. I mean that leather on the Mazda looks awful and what's going on with the top of the dash on the left?

Are cockpits all that matter in a racing game, though? For me, they're basically irrelevant as I only play with behind the car camera. And I think Forza 7 maxed on PC (no dynamic optimization), 4K HDR, looks better than GTS on PS4 Pro.

The HDR in GTS is better, though.

Are cockpits all that matter in a racing game, though? For me, they're basically irrelevant as I only play with behind the car camera. And I think Forza 7 maxed on PC (no dynamic optimization), 4K HDR, looks better than GTS on PS4 Pro.

Oh not at all but he was mentioning about using a different cockpit but I really don't think that would help.

PC will/should always look better, but then you have to think 'would' Gran Turismo look even better than that if that was run on the hardware available in your PC. The PC should always be able to brute force better resolutions/AA/textures due to the nature of their build and power.

KORNdoggy

Perhaps your observations would have a greater impact if you did not assume that T10 do not love cars and motor racing...

they outsource their modelling, a requirement to maintain their short release schedule. how much can they love cars when they're not even building them themselves? the fact is when you get someone else to do your work you lose your ability to maintain any semblance of consistency. quality control goes out the window. the forza interior model in that example looks like something you'd buy off turbosquid in the mid price category...it's...adequate, i'd maybe use it in a scene where it wasn't the main focus of an image, but it hardly meets the standards i would associate with this current gen. i mean, it's all well and good having native 4k resolutions, but when your cars look faceted as hell with shoddy model work and materials i'm not sure it's a combination that's particularly flattering. you should be attempting to hide that stuff not make it more obvious.

i honestly think forza motorsport needs longer dev cycles so they can improve on stuff like this. i get the impression they don't have the time to craft things as well as they should be.

Definitely. FM7 starts too dark. And in the in-game tuner if you raise the dark level you lose highlights at the top end.

I'm sure they could fix it. But I don't know if they will.

Meanwhile in Horizon 3 they had this nailed and the HDR looks amazing. One of many things that worked great in Horizon 3 and for some reason they didn't carry over to Motorsport.

Your personal judgement might not be the most reliable - actual side-by-sides reveal a fairly stark disparity:
That's a worst case scenario though, the FM7 interior is done really rough and the leather texture should be replaced as it's grainy as hell on that car. But just viewing out of the front window when driving, or setting the camera outside the car they look very alike visually on the cars.

they outsource their modelling, a requirement to maintain their short release schedule. how much can they love cars when they're not even building them themselves? the fact is when you get someone else to do your work you lose your ability to maintain any semblance of consistency. quality control goes out the window. the forza interior model in that example looks like something you'd buy off turbosquid in the mid price category...it's...adequate, i'd maybe use it in a scene where it wasn't the main focus of an image, but it hardly meets the standards i would associate with this current gen. i mean, it's all well and good having native 4k resolutions, but when your cars look faceted as hell with shoddy model work and materials i'm not sure it's a combination that's particularly flattering. you should be attempting to hide that stuff not make it more obvious.

i honestly think forza motorsport needs longer dev cycles so they can improve on stuff like this. i get the impression they don't have the time to craft things as well as they should be.

So if Turn 10 are having so much time issues, why does it take Polyphony four years to make a track looking like this:

granturismosportversilrooe.png

Sloppy 3D modelling goes both ways on GTS and FM7 in parts, you're getting extremely one-sided, as you have consistently done in the past against Forza games on this forum.

dstarMDA

As a racing game developer myself (not working on those franchises), your post is really infuriating.

derFeef

This post is really silly. Modeling a car in high detail, coupled with scanning and everything you need to do is a tremendous effort. You have no idea what you are talking about and simply have no clue about game development. Saying T10 does not love cars is just hilarious and makes you look like a fool.

valkyre

What is the difference in graphics in GTS between replay mode and proper gameplay? Apart from the framerate cap to 30 does the replay mode enhance image/gfx in any other way?

leeh

Stupid post of the day.

Pretty much every IT company in software/games outsource in some way or another.

It's a model, how it looks in-game with lighting/materials is due to T10 not the company who created the model.

ethomaz

Banned
What is the difference in graphics in GTS between replay mode and proper gameplay? Apart from the framerate cap to 30 does the replay mode enhance image/gfx in any other way?
There are different Replay modes in game.

- PS4 Amateur 30fps Replay (the one you see in external cameras): add motion blur and possible some more post processing (? to be fair it looks just motion blur... AA is the same).

- PS4 Amateur 60fps Replay (cockpit/internal view): gameplay graphics without any change.

Now I don’t have a Pro so I guess/believe the same options is available on Pro HQ mode as PS4 Amateur and the difference is Pro Perf. mode where all Replays are 60fps.

Any Replay shot with internal/cockpit view you are looking at gameplay graphics without changes (I can’t really confirm that for Pro like I said).

Maybe higher-LoD car models and higher MSAA as well? I guess we need Digital Foundry to suss the replays out. They do look really good even on OG PS4, I'm impressed with the IQ in gameplay and replays.
Aliasing is the same on replay that means same AA... LOD are the same... DoF is questionable but I believe there is no change too.

Motion blur is the big apparent change in external cameras... internal camera looks the same as gameplay.

Peterthumpa

- PS4 Amateur 30fps Replay (the one you see in external cameras): add motion blur and possible some more post processing (? to be fair it looks just motion blur... AA is the same).

- PS4 Amateur 60fps Replay (cockpit/internal view): gameplay graphics without any change.

Now I don’t have a Pro so I guess/believe the same options is available on Pro HQ mode as PS4 Amateur and the difference is Pro Perf. mode where all Replays are 60fps.

Any Replay shot with internal/cockpit view you are looking at gameplay graphics without changes (I can’t really confirm that for Pro like I said).
lol, what's up with this "PS4 Amateur" slang now.
And yeah, you're right about the Pro differences.

ethomaz

Banned
Camera moviments / angles (and of course the motion blur) are big part to replay “looks” better than what it is in my opinion.

Gameplay have static cameras that break the immersion into the graphics.

Grassy

Aliasing is the same on replay that means same AA... LOD are the same... DoF is questionable but I believe there is no change too.

Motion blur is the big apparent change in external cameras... internal camera looks the same as gameplay.

DoF isn't questionable, there's none in gameplay but it's used to great effect in replays.

I just can't see them doing 30fps replays just for some motion blur, it's not that costly for performance.

valkyre

That sums it up perfectly thanks!

c0de

But this is a graphics comparison thread. Not a performance comparison thread.

Well, can't say I agree. Graphics are tied to performance. I said it a few dozen pages before: you could easily make a mind blowing game that has the best graphics - when it would run at 20 fps. It would be the clear winner of this thread but nobody would want to play it because of the bad performance. So sure, performance is also part of this thread and rightfully so.

KageMaru

There are no subtleties here are there. Any difference is "stark", anything not as good as another thing is "awful."

One of the bigger issues with the internet in general. There is no range in description or opinion. It's either amazing or crap.

It's crazy that you would double down on this when there are plenty of developers who outsource work in multiple genres. Do you think there are no quality checks when they receive a car and would just accept anything? IIRC they don't even outsource all of the work.

And to question the amount of investment a team has because their development model differs from another demonstrates such a high level of nativity that it's embarrassing.

Definitely. FM7 starts too dark. And in the in-game tuner if you raise the dark level you lose highlights at the top end.

I'm sure they could fix it. But I don't know if they will.

Meanwhile in Horizon 3 they had this nailed and the HDR looks amazing. One of many things that worked great in Horizon 3 and for some reason they didn't carry over to Motorsport.

Did you try out HDR on both the PC and Xbox? I only got to try the PC demo since I don't own an Xbox but I'm curious how the output compares. In my experience with other games, HDR has been a bit hit or miss on the PC with other games.

As a racing game developer myself (not working on those franchises), your post is really infuriating.

And some people wonder why more devs don't post on the fanboy fueled forum GAF can be at times.

This is essentially why GTS is on top and why PD are adamant to keep all modelling in house: they want to model it themselves and keep the quality.

Synth

Well, can't say I agree. Graphics are tied to performance. I said it a few dozen pages before: you could easily make a mind blowing game that has the best graphics - when it would run at 20 fps. It would be the clear winner of this thread but nobody would want to play it because of the bad performance.

More importantly, less people would even want to look at it. Games with better performance look better in motion as well. Separating the two makes little sense.

This is essentially why GTS is on top and why PD are adamant to keep all modelling in house: they want to model it themselves and keep the quality.

That post was drivel. Not that I'm shocked to see you co-signing it though.

Gestault

Watching explanations like "outsource = bad, good studios don't outsource" is so simplistic, it's like watching a Sega fan cling to "blast processing" after seeing a commercial in the 90s. People have no clue about the relative talent of the modellers, in or out of the studio. Those who've worked in *any* office setting involving outsourcing probably cringe any time it comes up.

derFeef

Watching explanations like "outsource = bad, good studios don't outsource" is so simplistic, it's like watching a Sega fan cling to "blast processing" after seeing a commercial in the 90s. People have no clue about the relative talent is of the modellers, in or out of the studio. Those who've worked in *any* office setting involving outsourcing probably cringe any time it comes up.

Yuuuup.

TBiddy

This is just embarrasing to watch.

c0de

Watching explanations like "outsource = bad, good studios don't outsource" is so simplistic, it's like watching a Sega fan cling to "blast processing" after seeing a commercial in the 90s. People have no clue about the relative talent is of the modellers, in or out of the studio. Those who've worked in *any* office setting involving outsourcing probably cringe any time it comes up.

This thread has it all. Junior arm chair developers with a CV only containing meaningful neogaf posts like TLW, as well as senior project managers which can even judge projects for games they don't play on consoles they don't own as well as people knowing what's good for a game and by this even inducing shaking heads from actual game developers.

Yeah, Some people really have no clue what they are talking about. It makes it easy to appreciate the technical experts here. Conversely, it makes it easier to spot the fanboys and want to be experts and there are a lot in this thread.

Watching explanations like "outsource = bad, good studios don't outsource" is so simplistic, it's like watching a Sega fan cling to "blast processing" after seeing a commercial in the 90s. People have no clue about the relative talent of the modellers, in or out of the studio. Those who've worked in *any* office setting involving outsourcing probably cringe any time it comes up.

Yeah I mean I personally HATE when Sony outsource their remasters to two bit fly by night studios like BluePoint /s

KageMaru

Well, can't say I agree. Graphics are tied to performance. I said it a few dozen pages before: you could easily make a mind blowing game that has the best graphics - when it would run at 20 fps. It would be the clear winner of this thread but nobody would want to play it because of the bad performance. So sure, performance is also part of this thread and rightfully so.

Exactly. When your targeted frame rate determines how much time you have to render each frame, frame rate should definitely be part of the discussion.

This is just embarrasing to watch.

More importantly, less people would even want to look at it. Games with better performance look better in motion as well. Separating the two makes little sense.

That post was drivel. Not that I'm shocked to see you co-signing it though.

If you're going to reply then its best to actually have a reply.

Except I never said that: more like outsourcing can lead to quality loss, especially when you have a high bar like PD, and its evident to see in racing titles like Forza. Choosing where to outsource is important ( and can be beneficial) but lets not act like outsourcing isn't also done to do things cheaply and quickly.

Exactly. When your targeted frame rate determines how much time you have to render each frame, frame rate should definitely be part of the discussion.

It should. I would add that a stable, high, frame rate adds much to the graphics of a game while playing it. In my opinion, I'll take 60fps with all the compromises that come along with it everytime with simulation style racing games. I think it not only plays better with 60 fps, but looks better too. This won't come out in screenshots, but I don't play screenshots.

theWB27

Except I never said that: more like outsourcing can lead to quality loss, especially when you have a high bar like PD, and its evident to see in racing titles like Forza. Choosing where to outsource is important ( and can be beneficial) but lets not act like outsourcing isn't also done to do things cheaply and quickly.

You can honestly look at a game and tell what assets have been outsourced?

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

Yup, look what it did to Horizon Zero Dawn. Game is rough as fuck thanks to asset outsourcing...

I get what Psycho Mantis has to say actually. Have a couple of friends who work in outsourcing, and their job is to create models, textures quick.

Not to say that the assets are at a horrendous quality though, but when it comes to Forza vs Gran Turismo, I'd say it would be very difficult for outsourced companies to create assets that are at the level Polyphony modelers/texture artists can do. Also with top devs like Valve, Naughty Dog etc who are filled to the brim with the best in the industry.

Remember that most of these works are given to the lowest bidder.

Most likely outsorcing has nothing to do with it, but rather it's a matter of budget and how much content you have to do.

Even if both games had the same budgets (and they do not) Forza would have less allocated to each car because it has so much more cars to model.

Top Bottom