• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF in numbers (graphical representation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono51

Banned
Actually OP, you're looking at this the wrong way. Let's look at the winner's and losers of the past week.

Winners

• Evilore - still has GAF, and within a few weeks the site will have healed and be back to full strength

The new mods - will be putting in a lot of work to steer the ship over the next few weeks, but ultimately will be moderators of the most important gaming forum in the western hemisphere

Losers

• The "new" splinter forum - have you seen how many long banned people have shown up there? Have you seen how many shitposters from here, who skated by under the old mod team here, have shown up there? Have you seen how ugly the aesthetics are? Plus, they don't have 15 years of posts, threads, content and experience in running a forum. Within a few months it will be chaos.

The old mods - clearly weren't giving a shit recently, thought they could leave this place a lawless land. But their gambit failed and they are no longer mods anywhere.

Gamergate - some of them showed up here, but as the new mod team builds up they will be banned at the old (speedy) rate. Plus, they're still basement dwelling virgins.

Maximus P

It's a good thing, he's a great person and is really passionate about the industry, usually has a lot of insider scoops too.

I actually enjoyed posts from Shinobi, the guy knew his stuff.

There a are a couple of names on their mod list however that I had on ignore here, mostly for shitting up xbox threads if I recall correctly.

norm9

people here saying pepe = alt right are in the wrong. pepe is a meme being used everywhere on the internets: reddit, twitch, 4chan, ... if you let alt-right claim pepe, what they gonna claim next?

Pepe is dead. There is no reclaiming it.

Markoman

Shinobi, a self-professed Mass Effect fan, like Mass Effect Andromeda, a crime worthy of harsh punishment!

The guy was one of the most valuable posters on here. He's just unapologetically positive. And besides, he gave his personal opinion about the game, not some review meant to speak to a widespread consumer base.

Wait, not my personal opinion, just stating facts. It was the thread that made him leave, right?

Lister

Banned
Shinobi, a self-professed Mass Effect fan, like Mass Effect Andromeda, a crime worthy of harsh punishment!

The guy was one of the most valuable posters on here. He's just unapologetically positive. And besides, he gave his personal opinion about the game, not some review meant to speak to a widespread consumer base.

Im a selfprofessed mass effect fan. Andromeda was a disaster of a game. Lots of people would agree.

Rare Pepe

Neo Member
dude is a bioware, sony shill.

Which is fine if he didnt insist on his absolute objectivity.

Lots of people where unhappy with his previews of Andromeda which painted a very different picture.

I see.

Depends. If he mislead people with his previews of Andromeda for free just by being a fan, I guess it's not great, but nothing offensive. But he is indeed works or somewhat professionally related to those companies, then I see other poster point.

Markoman

Actually OP, you're looking at this the wrong way. Let's look at the winner's and losers of the past week.

Winners

• Evilore - still has GAF, and within a few weeks the site will have healed and be back to full strength

The new mods - will be putting in a lot of work to steer the ship over the next few weeks, but ultimately will be moderators of the most important gaming forum in the western hemisphere

Losers

• The "new" splinter forum - have you seen how many long banned people have shown up there? Have you seen how many shitposters from here, who skated by under the old mod team here, have shown up there? Have you seen how ugly the aesthetics are? Plus, they don't have 15 years of posts, threads, content and experience in running a forum. Within a few months it will be chaos.

The old mods - clearly weren't giving a shit recently, thought they could leave this place a lawless land. But their gambit failed and they are no longer mods anywhere.

Gamergate - some of them showed up here, but as the new mod team builds up they will be banned at the old (speedy) rate. Plus, they're still basement dwelling virgins.

image.php

Sounds legit

gatti-man

Now THIS stupid shit does make me actually want to leave

This is directly from reset not gaf. This is essentially advertising for their forum the thread. I follow that forum too but a lot of what’s posted there is the spam I ignored here. Some is good though.

Wait, not my personal opinion, just stating facts. It was the thread that made him leave, right?

It was the reaction of people like you and Lister, branding him a shill for liking a game.

The guy had like 33k posts, was a much more valuable community member than any 20 average posters combined, and a reliable insider. And then he gets branded a shill and untrustworthy because he gave his personal opinion about a video game.

Im a selfprofessed mass effect fan. Andromeda was a disaster of a game. Lots of people would agree.

Yes, I agree. Some other won't. Shinobi was one of those.

gatti-man

I see.

Depends. If he mislead people with his previews of Andromeda for free just by being a fan, I guess it's not great, but nothing offensive. But he is indeed works or somewhat professionally related to those companies, then I see other poster point.

Shinobi was a well known value to gaf. If you didn’t know where he was coming from it wasn’t hard to find out. It really sucked when he left and is a big reason I visit reset. Him and nirolak(sp) are two of my favorite thread makers that left.

norm9

Wasn't terrible if you skipped everything except the main quest. The gameplay was fun enough to drag me kicking and screaming to the "end."

Whales

Banned

Winners

Losers

of course this post would be made by a dude with a trump avatar. Lmfao

notsol337

marked forever
Gotta wonder who that guy is. Barely posted before, and now he's more invested than basically anyone.

He might be kinda like I am in terms of GAF. This is the most I've posted in years. I would read and read and read, and rarely find anything I could add to the discussion myself that hadn't already been said. I still feel pretty invested. The number of posts you make doesn't always reflect how much you care about a community.

Success

Gold Member
Has the OP's data been verified? How do we know he is not making this up or skewing the data?

Either way, the one way to big gaf back is it bring back it's history and that is to restore the off-topic threads.

Lister

Banned
Shinobi was a well known value to gaf. If you didn’t know where he was coming from it wasn’t hard to find out. It really sucked when he left and is a big reason I visit reset. Him and nirolak(sp) are two of my favorite thread makers that left.

It was clear he was disseminating insider info as told to, or in a very obviously biased way.

Which again is fine. If you get the scoops and you have to kiss ass for it its 100 percent understandable.

But he presented himself as being objective and would get angry and defensive when called on it.

Realky dont care though though. He was a nice guy, and his scoops where always credible outside any opinions he had.

Markoman

It was the reaction of people like you and Lister, branding him a shill for liking a game.

The guy had like 33k posts, was a much more valuable community member than any 20 average posters combined, and a reliable insider. And then he gets branded a shill and untrustworthy because he gave his personal opinion about a video game.

Yes, I agree. Some other won't. Shinobi was one of those.

Hey, I never said any of that.

Gotta wonder who that guy is. Barely posted before, and now he's more invested than basically anyone.

Because only member with 10000+ posts mean anything?

Some us lurked even before we had access to a work mail, and want to continue to be here. It's just now that we see the tumbleweed rolling by, might as well start talking because who else will?

It was clear he was disseminating insider info as told to, or in a very obviously biased way.

Which again is fine. If you get the scoops and you have to kiss ass for it its 100 percent understandable.

But he presented himself as being objective and would get angry and defensive when called on it.

Realky dont care though though. He was a nice guy, and his scoops where always credible outside any opinions he had.

This was the title of the thread:

"I played 3 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda - Thoughts so far"

If you buy a game based on that... Well, that's a personal problem I think, and has nothing to do with his impressions.

Hey, I never said any of that.

My bad if you didn't.

LakeEarth

Has the OP's data been verified? How do we know he is not making this up or skewing the data?

Either way, the one way to big gaf back is it bring back it's history and that is to restore the off-topic threads.
Well there's definitely truth to the fact that they're at least 5x more active. Just compare shared threads on the same topic. The NFL thread is a good example.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Do the mods have any comment on the number of junior members who have had accounts for years, some dating back to 2013/2014, and just started posting when GAF came back up?

And to be clear, I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything. I'm genuinely curious. I've seen mods here be open in the past that it's quite obvious when people have alts, because of issues like that. So I'm curious if they have any specific thoughts on that.

Because it's clearly happening. There is a lot of "concerned" posters coming out the woodwork who have little to (sometimes literally) no posting history, yet have had accounts for a long while.

And I've seen them use the word "snowflake" or post nonsense Pepe memes as has happened in this thread -- something that likely wouldn't be acceptable before the "fall" last week, given what that meme means.

If anything, I think stuff like that is going to push people away from the site. Whether it's older posters coming back or newer posters wanting to join.

It's funny how the posters here are taking a stronger stand against people asking for bans than they are against sexual harassment.

Gotta love the stool flinging

This week I've been called a Gamergater, alt-right supporter, even been called complicit for not switching forums. For all the moral righteousness, people sure love to throw names of groups I'm not even close to having an affiliation to.

Mxrz

Honestly? Think reddit killed it more than anything. I know I started using the site a lot less over the last few years. Gaming news remained gaf's strong point, but seemed like a lot of the insiders got chased off too. If its going to survive, its going to need that strength back.

My main draws to the site - specific game OTs - certainly proved to be less useful than game subreddits in the long run. On the community side, NBA gaf getting ran off, and the community getting a lot more self-policing made any sort of disagreement less than ideal, and it bled into about every sort of thread from advice to even movie threads.

Aspen

Do the mods have any comment on the number of junior members who have had accounts for years, some dating back to 2013/2014, and just started posting when GAF came back up?

And to be clear, I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything. I'm genuinely curious. I've seen mods here be open in the past that it's quite obvious when people have alts, because of issues like that. So I'm curious if they have any specific thoughts on that.

Because it's clearly happening. There is a lot of "concerned" posters coming out the woodwork who have little to (sometimes literally) no posting history, yet have had accounts for a long while.

And I've seen them use the word "snowflake" or post nonsense Pepe memes as has happened in this thread -- something that likely wouldn't be acceptable before the "fall" last week, given what that meme means.

If anything, I think stuff like that is going to push people away from the site. Whether it's older posters coming back or newer posters wanting to join.

Those things still are not acceptable and will be dealt with accordingly.

This week I've been called a Gamergater, alt-right supporter, even been called complicit for not switching forums. For all the moral righteousness, people sure love to throw names of groups I'm not even close to having an affiliation to.

I didn't say switch forums. I didn't say you were a gamergater or alt-right supporter.

Just pointing out that people are overly angry at people asking for bans.

they have a right to do so if they want. there is a clear reason why they're doing it.

You think people just randomly decided to ask for bans this last week?

gatti-man

Yeah I mean he gets excited about video games. I never thought he was nefarious about it or anything. People in general get defensive when called out.

Go ahead and do a IP check to see if I have alts lol

There's been a general consensus from Juniors that this is a new start for Gaf, and we want it to be more about open discourse.

We want a forum where you dont get banned for having a pepe avatar, or have you opinion discarded because you (perhaps ironically) trump avatar. Era will fill that niche of hiveminded individuals, where we want this place to be for everyone.

Maximus P

I didn't say switch forums. I didn't say you were a gamergater or alt-right supporter.

Just pointing out that people are overly angry at people asking for bans.

they have a right to do so if they want. there is a clear reason why they're doing it.

You think people just randomly decided to ask for bans this last week?

The guy you quoted was 'overly angry'?

ZeoVGM

Banned

You don't really need to look far to see what's going on. Take the Mario Odyssey OT, for example. It's 18 pages (853 posts) here and 94 pages (4,653 posts) over there.

That's insane. I never would have expected that kind of difference.

dolabla

They no doubt think they have the moral high ground. There's no way I'd touch that forum with a 10 foot pole.

CheckMate

Just came back from 10-day period without surfing the internet unless it school related and came to GAF in a mayhem.

jeez louise, I just wanted all my gaming news to be in one place, and now it's in 6 different places. And there's a new site with some the other members. I really don't feel like getting accustomed to the new site, and it doesn't look pleasing.

Zato

Banned

Winners

Losers

Nothing you said is supported by the facts.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Those things still are not acceptable and will be dealt with accordingly.

Thanks for the reply!

We want a forum where you dont get banned for having a pepe avatar, or have you opinion discarded because you (perhaps ironically) trump avatar. Era will fill that niche of hiveminded individuals, where we want this place to be for everyone.

There were people on GAF before who straight up said they voted for Trump. They didn't get banned.

It can't be said enough that this nonsense narrative needs to stop: no one was ever banned from GAF at any time simply for supporting Trump or being a conservative. It did not happen.

That argument, which I keep seeing from people such as yourself, is dishonest. It is factually incorrect.

gatti-man

Thanks for the reply!

There were people on GAF before who straight up said they voted for Trump. They didn't get banned.

It can't be said enough that this nonsense narrative needs to stop: no one was ever banned from GAF at any time simply for supporting Trump or being a conservative. It did not happen.

That argument, which I keep seeing from people such as yourself, is dishonest. It is factually incorrect.

True. But what would happen is mod sanctioned dog piling. That did happen often. I got banned for simply suggesting people wait for the facts on a police violence video. The gaf liberal slant was certainly allowed to go out of control.

The guy you quoted was 'overly angry'?

Probably not, no.

But in general. Just look at all the responses to the ban me posts

granted some ban me messages are plain rude and some were disgusting

but even the normal ones get the same response from members here

its clear the members here today arent part of the same gaf that i remember and like

Thanks for the reply!

I dont have as much as a warning on my account, but I must admit, I've been afraid of telling my honest opinion on multiple occasions on this site which was never the case on gametrailer.com a public forum with more mods than you can count. never felt that place was filtered as heavily as old gaf.

edit - this is just my hunch mind you, as I'm not a frequent poster on old gaf, so my interaction are obiously limited, and should be mention I've never had bad blood between any user on this site. How could I? everyone was always positive.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I dont have as much as a warning on my account, but I must admit, I've been afraid of telling my honest opinion on multiple occasions on this site which was never the case on gametrailer.com a public forum with more mods than you can count. never felt that place was filtered as heavily as old gaf.

If you're afraid of giving your opinion because you might be banned for it, there's a good chance there's a reason for that.

And it's not because of liberal mods banning people for simply having a different opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom