• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Great games, EazyB. <3

Edit: on a more serious note, fun games overall.

Ghaleon, we played the map you were working on, right? The one set on the beach? I gotta say, I liked it aside from the spawns. It seems like I was spawning on lower levels for most of the time, which put at a disadvantage against opponents who were on top.

Alienshogun said:
April more than likely, but that puts it out of interest for me unless AL ends up out of TS.

I'd say spring would be a good bet too but it just seems odd that nothing has been official mentioned yet, especially with one studio devoted to maps for the game. I'm thinking it's gonna be a huge drop in the vicinity of 10-14 maps.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Great games, EazyB. <3

Edit: on a more serious note, fun games overall.

Ghaleon, we played the map you were working on, right? The one set on the beach? I gotta say, I liked it aside from the spawns. It seems like I was spawning on lower levels for most of the time, which put at a disadvantage against opponents who were on top.
Thanks. And yeah spawns and kill zones were the last thing I did and ran out of time for the former. They're not very evenly distributed right now which caused the problem you described; I noticed it as well. Though, there are a number of ways to dislodge dudes from the towers that weren't getting much use due to it being a new map.

My wife's parents are staying with us, and my younger daughter is running a fever of 102.9 (or was, until the ibuprofen kicked in). Between the two, I kept getting pulled away or distracted from the games tonight; half the time I had to hand the controller over to my eight year old while I socialized or helped with the kid. Sorry for the weird playing...they'll be gone and hopefully everyone well so I can actually play and stay longer next time.

And now for five more games of Score Attack on Courtyard.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
I think all of you should stimulate your minds.

Hah, I've been playing Gears, that's enough stimulation!

Trasher said:
I've been smokin' it deep as well.

I've had my fill of MMOs for now, Beta in EQ and Beta in Wow up till burning crusade and EQ2. Even some EvE online.

Sai-kun

Banned
Trasher said:
How far in are you? We are just 8/12. Hopefully 10/12 at the end of this week.

Wow, lucky. My guild is like 3/12 or 4/12. It's mostly because we really only have like 6-7 core people, and the other people we pull from the guild aren't totally amazing. :( So we spend like 3 hours wiping on Conclave, which is dumb and I hate it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just went 23 and 7 in Slayer. Yea totally awesome!!! Exceeeept my teammate went 3 and 25. He had half of our team's deaths!! We lost :(

Havok

New gametypes in Score Attack will be awesome to see, it's easily my favorite way to waste a few hours (close to 30 games of it today in order to make the final push to Brigadier, and because I'm a masochistic idiot), but seeing the same 3 things over and over with only a few maps I enjoy is getting old. The new stuff'll hopefully smooth that out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Brigadier baby!!! Finally bought stuff for my spartan. Mark VI and a bunch of other shit. The Gold visor is really nice, I bought that too.

Sibylus

Banned
eBLO4.jpg

Act I
Act II
Act III

It's finally done. The Summary (along with my chapter rankings) will be going up tomorrow, but as of now the chapter by chapter thoughts and critiques are all complete. Read and let me know what you think!

Ramirez

Man, BTB blows in this game, and then I finally get to play a 4v4 match after the party dwindles down, and what do we get? 4V4 Hemo, FML.

I hadn't played Tempest since like the first few days it was out, it was great to see everyone using jetpacks to get to the top of every little nook and cranny on the map.

Nutter

I think it is safe to say we dominated tonight, with the exception to 1 game. 19 wins out of 20 MP games, and the high number of kills :) . [Managed to get 360 kills tonight]

We also had this game where the other team kept coming through the tele-port only to armor lock, it was hilariously awesome as they kept getting wrecked. Will post video in the morning.

Man

I am playing reach for the first time.

Level 1-3: This is good solid Halo fare. No missteps so far. I'm liking the environmental details like mountain streams and grass.

Level 4: omg... OMG!!! This is the best Halo level... ever! Holy shit! It's just so open and delicious, a smorgas board of opportunity, thrilling combat and beautiful visuals.

Botolf said:
eBLO4.jpg

Act I
Act II
Act III

It's finally done. The Summary (along with my chapter rankings) will be going up tomorrow, but as of now the chapter by chapter thoughts and critiques are all complete. Read and let me know what you think!
Better than any "professional" review I've read.

Edit: Looking forward to the summary. :)

So I havent been following this thread much for about a month or more since I am without internet atm. That should be fixed soon... but did I miss anything crazy or interesting? Or just the normal fun stuff?

I feel like Im going through Halo withdrawal, only playing it when I can get over my one friends house.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Got back into playing this on Live again. Finally got to Lt. Colonel (now I have 1250/1250 achievement points!). One thing though I completely forgot about this game is how every single game is pretty much Swordbase, Swordbase, Swordbase! I'm sick and tired of it.

I think I hit a wall skill wise. I'm definitely playing against really good players now. Kind of a wake up call.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TheUsual said:
Got back into playing this on Live again. Finally got to Lt. Colonel (now I have 1250/1250 achievement points!). One thing though I completely forgot about this game is how every single game is pretty much Swordbase, Swordbase, Swordbase! I'm sick and tired of it.

I think I hit a wall skill wise. I'm definitely playing against really good players now. Kind of a wake up call.

Trueskill is a broken piece of shit most of the time anyway. Plus if you've been away awhile you're going to be rusty, and probably be back where you left off in the trueskill ranking.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Alienshogun said:
Trueskill is a broken piece of shit most of the time anyway. Plus if you've been away awhile you're going to be rusty, and probably be back where you left off in the trueskill ranking.

True, true. I just think I'm at the point where teamwork is the bigger factor now. I've been able to hold my own decently, but that has gone by the wayside the past few days.

Gui_PT

Wow Ghaleon

GhaleonEB - Covenant Killed - 81173

Last week you were in 3rd place like 2000 kills behind me and now you're in 1st place :lol

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Wow Ghaleon

GhaleonEB - Covenant Killed - 81173

Last week you were in 3rd place like 2000 kills behind me and now you're in 1st place :lol
And over 1,000 of those were in Courtyard yesterday. :lol

When Arcade, Limited and the new Score Attack games go live on Tuesday, just watch. It will be a slaughter of epic proportions.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
And over 1,000 of those were in Courtyard yesterday. :lol

When Arcade, Limited and the new Score Attack games go live on Tuesday, just watch. It will be a slaughter of epic proportions.
Reach for the stars, Mien Furer!

sorry, don't hate me

Striker

Ramirez said:
Man, BTB blows in this game, and then I finally get to play a 4v4 match after the party dwindles down, and what do we get? 4V4 Hemo, FML.

I hadn't played Tempest since like the first few days it was out, it was great to see everyone using jetpacks to get to the top of every little nook and cranny on the map.
BTB would be better if Bungie&#0153; didn't cram Slayer and Headhunter down our throats. I do enjoy Multi-CTF on Hemorrhage and Paradiso.

Remember having AR starts for 4v4 Valhalla. That was supreme.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
BTB would be better if Bungie™ didn't cram Slayer and Headhunter down our throats. I do enjoy Multi-CTF on Hemorrhage and Paradiso.

Remember having AR starts for 4v4 Valhalla. That was supreme.
I like both Headhunter and Stockpile, which get a lot of grief. But I have to agree that BTB is poor in Reach, and it has a lot to do with the vehicle sandbox. It's just...off. The way vehicle health works, the way they react to taking damage (which reminds me to snag a clip from last night), the physics. Toss in the sniper, which utterly dominates, and the longer range of the DMR to ping players from a very long distance, and it's just not a pleasant experience. (Which is not to say it isn't fun to party up and romp on poor randoms as last night.)

I think swapping out the Chopper for the Revenant was a mistake as well. The great thing about the Chopper was it had a learning curve to it, and there was a wide gap between players who were good with it (EazyB) and those who were not. The Revenant controls just like the Ghost, a sled with boost, and there's not curve to learning it.

The Chopper would be a joy and a terror on Hemorrhage.

Striker

What Bungie tried doing with removing the Chopper and adding the Revenant and its passenger seat is creating a Warthog-like version in a Covenant theme. They tried in Halo 2 with the Spectre, it faltered. They tried in Halo 3 with the Prowler, faltered and was not used except in later variants for BTB. Halo 2's Spectre got used in Covenant flag games, and was pretty reliable then, but otherwise useless. Prowler was the same. I'm sure people would feel better about the swap if it was more of a machine rather than just another Covenant vehicle with Ghost like attributes.

Headhuner you might like, and it's fine for doses, but do you play much BTB? It shows up ALL THE TIME. And the combo of Headhunter/Countdown might be a daily voting selection for each phase. There's hardly any consistency among the gametype arrivals. Mostly Slayer and Headhunter with a pinch of Stockpile, Multi-CTF and Elite Slayer. Crazy King is ass (broken beyond belief) on every map and Territories is OK in spurts, but the main complaint I have for BTB is the horrible management by Bungie, which is the opposite for my lack of desire for 3's version where it was the mediocrity of maps.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
What Bungie tried doing with removing the Chopper and adding the Revenant and its passenger seat is creating a Warthog-like version in a Covenant theme. They tried in Halo 2 with the Spectre, it faltered. They tried in Halo 3 with the Prowler, faltered and was not used except in later variants for BTB. Halo 2's Spectre got used in Covenant flag games, and was pretty reliable then, but otherwise useless. Prowler was the same. I'm sure people would feel better about the swap if it was more of a machine rather than just another Covenant vehicle with Ghost like attributes.
I understand what they were going for, I just don't think it's very fun to drive. I wish they hadn't referenced the Ghost as the baseline for controls. It's just another sled.

And I'd agree about the BTB playlist configuration. In the games I play the first thing up is almost always vetoed, and I get the impression people want to do the same. It generally ends up with something on Hemorrhage: Stockpile, CTF or Slayer. Which I would mind less if it weren't for the sniper. Last night I was getting sniped from the ground outside our own base, from a dude on the far cliffs. I couldn't find anywhere aside from inside the base or in the caves that he couldn't hit me from.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I understand what they were going for, I just don't think it's very fun to drive. I wish they hadn't referenced the Ghost as the baseline for controls. It's just another sled.

And I'd agree about the BTB playlist configuration. In the games I play the first thing up is almost always vetoed, and I get the impression people want to do the same. It generally ends up with something on Hemorrhage: Stockpile, CTF or Slayer.

Even the game doesn't like it, as one can see by the game physically removing it at light speed from MP matches.

It's like your body rejecting a transplanted organ.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Nutter, where's our teleport domination video from last night?

Sibylus

Banned
ibK6u8.jpg

Act I
Act II
Act III
Summary

The Summary is now complete and up! 16 pages, 7,933 words, and several months later, and I can finally scratch this review out of my backlog. Had fun writing it, hope it's worth the read for you fellows!

Dax01 said:
Better than any "professional" review I've read.

Edit: Looking forward to the summary. :)
It's a pity that so many professional reviewers feel compelled to push their reviews out without giving themselves time to really experience a game (or even get to the credits). The end result is unsurprisingly mailed-in and soulless.

Sibylus

Banned
Narpas Sword0 said:
Yes, I wonder what would compel them to post a review less than 6 months after a game comes out
Ar har. It would have been out within a month or two of release (most of the pieces were in place) had I not procrastinated so severely ;)

Trasher said:
Damn. Everyone on my friends list is playing Blops? Gross. Reach is at least better than that pile.

Also, Dax, I seem to remember you saying you didn't play multiplayer games where you shoot other humans. Did you give up on that already or were you just trying to suck up to Ghaleon at the time? lol ;P

Wait, what? So does Dax strictly play Firefight and Campaign in Reach, then?

Wait... DLC in April? It has to be an epic April Fools joke. Maybe there will be some talk of a Halo: CE remake with x, y and z features but I smell the chance of a prank with this talk of 'different' DLC.

MrBig

Hydranockz said:
Wait... DLC in April? It has to be an epic April Fools joke. Maybe there will be some talk of a Halo: CE remake with x, y and z features but I smell the chance of a prank with this talk of 'different' DLC.
Is this in reply to someone?
I'm quite sure that there will be DLC in April, it would coincide with H3, and Bungie hinted that it would be announced this month.

MrBig said:
Is this in reply to someone?
I'm quite sure that there will be DLC in April, it would coincide with H3, and Bungie hinted that it would be announced this month.
It was my thoughts on what was said here a few pages ago about DLC coming out 'soon(tm)' by MajorNelson I think it was.

Top Bottom