• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 Goes Gold, Live Developer Gameplay/Q&A [Update 2: Recorded Version Up]

Yasae

Banned
JWong said:
Solution for improving a bad game. Get rid of everything that's bad.

That's what they did with ME2, and it works.
Not really. The ammo sucked, the endgame sucked, having fewer skills sucked, the dlc pricing sucked, the collectors sucked, the disjointed nature of the story sucked, the romances sucked, Shepard's "death" sucked, and working for a billionaire sucked. I don't see any across-the-board improvements except for the sidequests, which were a very easy improvement to make.

This argument would only work if ME1 and 2 were fundamentally different in the first place, and they aren't.

Hixx

Yasae said:
Not really. The ammo sucked, the endgame sucked, having fewer skills sucked, the dlc pricing sucked, the collectors sucked, the disjointed nature of the story sucked, the romances sucked, Shepard's "death" sucked, and working for a billionaire sucked. I don't see any across-the-board improvements except for the sidequests, which were a very easy improvement to make.

This argument would only work if ME1 and 2 were fundamentally different in the first place, and they aren't.

Apart from the story and romances I completely disagree. Different strokes...

Now that I think about it, I'm actually kind of bummed that demo will have normal difficulty as I'm planning to play on Hard. But I guess that just means there's more to look forward to in three weeks.

Really haven't been following Dragon Age 2 much. Played the first on PC, liked it quite a bit.

So, what's the deal with part 2? Is the PC version still dramatically different from the console version like I heard it was supposed to be?

Whoompthereitis said:
Really haven't been following Dragon Age 2 much. Played the first on PC, liked it quite a bit.

So, what's the deal with part 2? Is the PC version still dramatically different from the console version like I heard it was supposed to be?
Check put the recorded live stream link in the OP. It's PC footage.

subversus said:
they can fuck off with this demo.
This pretty much seals it for me. I am just going to rent the 360 version the day it comes out. Play it for a week straight and then be done with it until the ultimate/goty edition goes on sale during Christmas.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Lostconfused said:
This pretty much seals it for me. I am just going to rent the 360 version the day it comes out. Play it for a week straight and then be done with it until the ultimate/goty edition goes on sale during Christmas.

hm, I don't see a point in that self-torture. I might wait for sales but I got to admit that the game could look decent with DX11 features (judging from latest PC shots). So it depends on what games are out in march.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why do all of the textures in this game look even worse than Dragon Age 1's? I didn't even think that was fucking possible.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Blog up about the tech (w/ screens)

http://blog.bioware.com/2011/02/16/the-technology-of-dragon-age-ii-–-part-1/

DX9 version. DX11 version will eventually be covered.

019.jpg

0041.jpg

047.jpg

082.jpg

077.jpg

foundry.jpg

hanged-man_2.jpg

Salaadin

Lol, DSL and a 1024x768 resolution doesnt like this thread :p

I think the pics looks good. At least on par with Dragon Age Origins and some look even better.

I think this looks really good. It looks like a progression from DA:O, and the graphics are very pretty. I am also a fan of the structure, which sounds fascinating. I welcome this game, and hope that the demo is good.

I AM A VOICE OF REASON.

Geoff9920

Yeah, some of the texture detail definitely seems to have taken a hit since Origins. I guess that's what happens when you change lead platforms. :-\ I do like the lighting though.

Why the delay in showing the DX11 version?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
whatevermort said:
I think this looks really good.
Time to get some glasses.

These screenshots seem like a joke to me. The lighting in particular is laughably bad.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im going to be totally honest here, i think the graphics look fine. The only reason i ever harped on them to begin with was that developer comment from way back when about DA2 being "visually super hot." Does the game look ultra-cutting edge? No. Does it look good? Yes. Is it laughably bad, no.

Durante

The graphics do look less appaling in those most recent screenshots. However, they're certainly not a radical improvement as suggested by Bioware, and from what we've seen so far I would claim that they aren't an improvement on the PC version of the first game at all. I doubt the DX11 features are going to change that, they don't magically increase texture resolution.

The lack of an isometric camera is certainly not doing the graphics any favours. DAO looked its best by far when zoomed out a bit (and also played best, but I digress).

Here's a small reminder of what the first game looked like:
daorigins-2010-05-14-13mun.jpg

dimb

Durante's shot pretty much shows exactly why I think DA2 looks laughably bad. Compare the piles of bones even. Separated ribcage vs. N64 chest-rib-bone. It's like a practical joke.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dance In My Blood said:
Durante's shot pretty much shows exactly why I think DA2 looks laughably bad. Compare the piles of bones even. Separated ribcage vs. N64 chest-rib-bone. It's like a practical joke.
You know what? You are right about those bones :lol i didnt even notice them until you pointed them out.

9glc2q.jpg

SUPER HOT!

Might as well turn this into a screenshot page.

Everything that was mentioned about visuals and isometric view is obviously PR for the console version of the game. They made it sound like you were going to stare at the sky the whole time when you play DA2.

Edit: Also honestly I don't get the new UI either. I guess when they said they wanted a unique art style they were referring to 2D art.
isometric1wfm5.jpg

isometric27c4u.jpg

ceiling1liuc.jpg

ceiling20egz.jpg

Damn, Durante's shot is awesome. I'm so used to playing DAO on 360, I forgethow stunning the game is on PC.

But still, I have faith the DA2 will look great for you PC gamers with top notch, DX11, PCs. I'm satisfied with 360's visual upgrade in DA2.

Hmm, maybe I should start the DA2 defense force on GAF...

The removal of the isometric camera angle is the biggest disappointment, for me, by far. Graphically, I can deal with what has been shown recently.

Darklord

Banned
It's so fucking bland. DAO, while it didn't look amazing had a nice art design. DA2 is just really, really bland.

Wasn't Bioware originally blabbing how DA2 will have amazing visuals? lmao

JWong

Banned
Yasae said:

Mass Effect 2. Game of the Year many places.

Mass Effect. Game of the Year not many places. In fact, very few places.

Clearly, more people liked the second game and like what you think sucked.

IoCaster

Felix Lighter said:
The removal of the isometric camera angle is the biggest disappointment, for me, by far. Graphically, I can deal with what has been shown recently.

Pretty much the deal breaker for me. I also really dislike the "rebooted art style". The changes to elves and dwarves aren't all that pleasing, but I could eventually get used to them. The changes to the darkspawn and ogres are a bit too much for me though. The spiky armor and weird fusion of gothic-eastern aesthetic is total shit.

I don't mind the lack of origins or playing as a human, but "Hawke" is such an uninspired choice. Everything about the game just seems so lackluster, dumbed down and rushed. As a PC gamer the whole console focused development they've taken with this game just about killed any interest I ever had in the franchise. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get a fresh crop of console players to buy in and I've got plenty of other games to play anyway. *shrug*

dimb

Salaadin said:
Is it confirmed that the above shots are running max settings? I know DX11 isnt there but what about everything else?
Seems mid/high-range, trying to emulate the console version. EA is handling their PC series going console-centric by hiding the good looking PC shots/videos before release. I don't know why, but Crysis 2 is in a similar place.

Even the AF being upped would greatly benefit those screenshots, but expect the final game to look better. The question that remains is how much better it will look.

Im wondering if those DA2 PC shots shown are the game "at its best" or just random shots the guy took, because DA1 certainly looked freaking terrible in a fair few places, while other areas looked superb (like the shots above).

Mr_Zombie

JWong said:

ME2 was simply more polished and much more streamlined. Some things were improved, some were unnecessarily cut off, some were turned into worse. Just because the game received much more awards doesn't mean it did everything better. You can't seriously tell me for example that the overall story was better in ME2 than it was in ME1.

And about those DA2 shots - jeez, what happened there? It should be an improvement, but as proved with the PC DA:O screens, it looks like a massive downgrade to the Origins' graphics. Not to mention that there are other cRPG (Two Worlds 2, Arcania) that have a much (much!) better looking outdoor scenes. Those PS2-level skeletons and empty cities (with NPC going mindlessly in rounds) are just laughable :/

DSN2K

Sorry but Textures are awful for 2011 game, Bioware have zero excuses either when it comes to the PC version.

Visuals are a real disappointment. I've come around on the gameplay from the recent previews around the web but Graphics still suck.

water_wendi said:
im going to be totally honest here, i think the graphics look fine. The only reason i ever harped on them to begin with was that developer comment from way back when about DA2 being "visually super hot." Does the game look ultra-cutting edge? No. Does it look good? Yes. Is it laughably bad, no.

Initially people were more mad about poop mountain and Dirtwall Lowtown. Which is more of an art issue than a graphics issue.

There is a kind of sterility to those new screens though.

Ceebs

Mr_Zombie said:
ME2 was simply more polished and much more streamlined. Some things were improved, some were unnecessarily cut off, some were turned into worse. Just because the game received much more awards doesn't mean it did everything better. You can't seriously tell me for example that the overall story was better in ME2 than it was in ME1.

And about those DA2 shots - jeez, what happened there? It should be an improvement, but as proved with the PC DA:O screens, it looks like a massive downgrade to the Origins' graphics. Not to mention that there are other cRPG (Two Worlds 2, Arcania) that have a much (much!) better looking outdoor scenes. Those PS2-level skeletons and empty cities (with NPC going mindlessly in rounds) are just laughable :/
I would also bet everything that I own that both of those games cost a fraction of what Bioware has spent making Dragon Age 2. I would even say that the Drakensang games look better than DA2 and I know those games only cost a few million to make per game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't know. You know I hate almost everything we know about DA2. My vitriol toward it could fill several kegs, should a process be perfected to liquefy such emotives. That said, I don't mind the new screen shots as much. A little sterile, sure, but not the early ones that showcased Mt. Crapmore.

Now, let's see if the demo can make me eat my words regarding the rest.

kitzkozan said:
It's happening with fighting games,especially Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Street fighter IV which are streamlined compared to their last offering.Sure it suck,but the compromise is well worth it imo as the scene is bigger than it's ever been since SFII.EVO2K11 will easily be the biggest and the major reason why is these new mainstream FG (along with the first proper Mortal kombat since 3?).On average,I think rpgs are selling better nowadays since Bethesda is selling as much or even more than SE (I'm sure Fallout 3/Oblivion sold better than FF XIII).Of course,the biggest drawback is that jrpgs are almost on the verge of extinction on HD consoles since they can't compete money wise (but most of them were always super niche). :p

Despite the dumbing down of the genre,you will always have an Arcana heart or Virtual fighter that's a more hardcore experience.The same is true of the rpg genre :Bioware and Bethesda are now mainstream along with Lionhead studio/Square-Enix,but you still have the Demon's/dark souls+The Witcher.

But the dumbing down of the genre means less top-tier games, especially considering that these guys were once at the top of the genre. It's a depressing case of what could have been.

Micius

water_wendi said:

To be honest I'm not too concerned about the graphics. Yes, it's sort of a shame that Bioware isn't really pushing for cutting edge quality on... any front really as far as I can see. I guess it's a phenomenon we should be used to at this point. Bioware's the big name RPG developer now and they can play it safe with streamlined products in their recognizable IP series and no longer need to distinguish themselves unlike the smaller European companies for example. I'm just glad that at least some fixes have been made on the graphics here and there. At least the female body models are unique this time around as opposed to the "truncated male bodies with breasts" in Origins.

Edit: As depressing as it is though, I guess the upside is that there are still underdog companies out there working hard at making a name for themselves by doing what Bioware won't. From the looks of things The Witcher 2 might be able to scratch my RPG itch in ways that Dragon Age 2 won't. Of course, if that becomes a big hit then eventually CD Projekt will be another Bioware and the cycle starts again.

Yasae

Banned
JWong said:

Good for them.

Now, getting back to the discussion at hand...

Micius said:
To be honest I'm not too concerned about the graphics. Yes, it's sort of a shame that Bioware isn't really pushing for cutting edge quality on... any front really as far as I can see. I guess it's a phenomenon we should be used to at this point. Bioware's the big name RPG developer now and they can play it safe with streamlined products in their recognizable IP series and no longer need to distinguish themselves unlike the smaller European companies for example. I'm just glad that at least some fixes have been made on the graphics here and there. At least the female body models are unique this time around as opposed to the "truncated male bodies with breasts" in Origins.

Edit: As depressing as it is though, I guess the upside is that there are still underdog companies out there working hard at making a name for themselves by doing what Bioware won't. From the looks of things The Witcher 2 might be able to scratch my RPG itch in ways that Dragon Age 2 won't. Of course, if that becomes a big hit then eventually CD Projekt will be another Bioware and the cycle starts again.

Don't forget Bethesda!

dimb

bluedeviltron said:
This thread is hilarious. The game looks great, as did Origins.
Are people who think this just not familiar with other PC RPGs?

It's 2011. Even if this game looks as good as Origins (which was very rough visually as an overall product, and pretty much required high-res texture patches), it won't hold a candle to other games being released this year. I mean the Witcher 2 comes out in May and takes a mountainous visual dump on DA2.

For comparison, here is what games with actual effort look like:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/art...er-2-assassins-of-kings-20100615075650237.jpg

Top Bottom