• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 Goes Gold, Live Developer Gameplay/Q&A [Update 2: Recorded Version Up]

bluedeviltron said:
This thread is hilarious. The game looks great, as did Origins.

9glc2q.jpg

So good. *man tear*

bluedeviltron said:
This thread is hilarious. The game looks great, as did Origins.
Basically, I'm learning that PC gamers are the ones who have huge issues with DA2. And rightly so, I understand their perspective.

But I'm primarily a console gamer who owns an M11x R1 so play cool games that aren't available on consoles (i.e. Starcraft 2, WoW, DoW 40K II, etc). And everything I've seen of DA2 has me eagerly anticipating it. I love DAO as it is and I'm looking forward to the changes coming in DA2 just like I love ME1 as it is and love ME2 even more.

Ashodin

Keep the faith Reluctant Hero!

I'm going to be playing it on 360 because I have my saves on 360. Simple as that. And I like sitting in my comfy mushroom chair.

Quagm1r3 said:
Waaay too many AOE spells/abilities. This would be a nightmare with friendly fire on.

Yeah. Too many crowd control skills is not a good thing.

Like I said, it looks like they're making this one big ability arms race.

Maxrpg said:
Keep the faith Reluctant Hero!

I'm going to be playing it on 360 because I have my saves on 360. Simple as that. And I like sitting in my comfy mushroom chair.

Sounds like you need a better desktop chair. And PC = master version.

P. S. Weren't you the one in that one PC thread arguing that consoles > PCs because you get to play from your chair?

Ceebs

cartman414 said:
Yeah. Too many crowd control skills is not a good thing.

Like I said, it looks like they're making this one big ability arms race.
One of the things that completely broke the first game. It's like Bioware just ignores all the feedback on their games these days.

SenorDingDong said:
Someone appears to have got their hands on the PC demo ahead of time.

Part 1
Part 2

Nice, thanks for the heads-up!

Great stuff there, basically the finished version of the alpha/beta build I played at PAX last fall. But I think there is more to the demo and he just cut off filming after the first 17 minutes.

But, yup, my frothing demand for this game increases!

Acidote

Oh god, the first zone was horrendous. Both graphically and gameplay wise. The ogre was stunned incappable of doing anything for 95% of the fight and the hurlocks were just easy trash. Checking the second part of the video soon.

Acidote said:
Oh god, the first zone was horrendous. Both graphically and gameplay wise. The ogre was stunned incappable of doing anything for 95% of the fight and the hurlocks were just easy trash. Checking the second part of the video soon.

Well yeah. You're supposed to be overpowered for that.

Spookie

Truant said:
Is this a joke? The game looks substantially worse than DA1.

"Game played at 1920x1080, 8xAA, 16xAF, DX9 (DX11 not available in demo), settings at Medium (High and Very High are DX11 only)"

I guess when bioware mentioned looking "super hot" and "fresh new art-style" they were talking about gutting the PC version and getting this thing running smoother on consoles.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Tokubetsu said:
I'm buying DA2 just so I can hate it on internet forums.

Not sure that will be necessary. The DA2 OT thread is going to be delicious with petulant PC elitists putting on their best Jay Cutler poutface, repeating how they don't care because the Witcher II will slaughter this game and keep their dreams alive. Lulz. I hope CDP announces a console version of The Witcher II just to see how angry they get.

butthurt.jpg

Tokubetsu

truly101 said:
Not sure that will be necessary. The DA2 OT thread is going to be delicious with petulant PC elitists putting on their best Jay Cutler poutface, repeating how they don't care because the Witcher II will slaughter this game and keep their dreams alive. Lulz. I hope CDP announces a console version of The Witcher II just to see how angry they get.

butthurt.jpg

Oh, no doubt. I'm gonna name drop CDP and Witcher 2 in every post. Real talk.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
truly101 said:

CDP did announce a console version of The Witcher (1) and no one got angry. They correctly pointed out that some interface things might be a little clunky, to which CDP replied that they were going for a more intense, action-oriented version of the game. Based on that, some players of TW1 said that they'd like to see the changes, while others said they'd probably prefer the original. That seems like a pretty reasonable, organic range of reactions to that news.

... and when you have to use an image macro to call someone butthurt, it pretty much falls into "I ain't even mad" territory.

I'm still very much looking forward to playing the game, I just have some issues with some of the choices they made with the sequel. I expect to enjoy the game in spite of some disappointing design decisions.

Zeliard

truly101 said:

They've already mentioned they may release a console version after the PC is out, but since there's no simultaneous development where the console versions will hold the PC back, it won't matter. We get a legitimate PC RPG. Console gamers get their "press a button to do something cool" game. Up is up, down is down.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
truly101 said:

You're right, I'd better make the Dragon Age 2 official thread myself so that everything remains fair and balanced

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Stumpokapow said:
CDP did announce a console version of The Witcher (1) and no one got angry. They correctly pointed out that some interface things might be a little clunky, to which CDP replied that they were going for a more intense, action-oriented version of the game. Based on that, some players of TW1 said that they'd like to see the changes, while others said they'd probably prefer the original. That seems like a pretty reasonable, organic range of reactions to that news.

... and when you have to use an image macro to call someone butthurt, it pretty much falls into "I ain't even mad" territory.
Yet that is exactly what the DA2 OT thread is going to turn into and you know it as well as I do. There probably should be a DA2 hate thread for the thrashing its going to get on the board

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Zeliard said:
They've already mentioned they may release a console version after the PC is out, but since there's no simultaneous development where the console versions will hold the PC back, it won't matter. We get a legitimate PC RPG. Console gamers get their "press a button to do something cool" game. Up is up, down is down.
I will be playing The Witcher 2 with a pad.......maybe lol. In truth, this will be my first major PC RPG purchase since building my new PC so I will try M/KB first as I played that way back in my younger days. BUT I already got my DS3 sync'd with my BT dongle and emulating a 360 controller. Life is grand on comfy couch land. It's great too since it auto sync's like a DS3 on a PS3 would and I don't have to plug it in to "pair" at all.

EviLore said:
You're right, I'd better make the Dragon Age 2 official thread myself so that everything remains fair and balanced
Didn't you make the first OT lol

If you're serious then it's best for it to be that way and not have needless bickering.

You may as well do the Witcher 2 OT as well in that case :p

Zeliard

truly101 said:
Yet that is exactly what the DA2 OT thread is going to turn into and you know it as well as I do. There probably should be a DA2 hate thread for the thrashing its going to get on the board

The DA2 thread will be like any other, including the DAO thread. People will praise things, criticize things, ask questions, give answers, and make random comments. If there's a higher ratio of criticism then that will simply be because more people find more to criticize than to praise. That's part of having an opinion.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Zeliard said:
The DA2 thread will be like any other, including the DAO thread. People will praise things, criticize things, ask questions, give answers, and make random comments. If there's a higher ratio of criticism then that will simply be because more people find more to criticize than to praise. That's part of having an opinion.

I'm not so sure. Based on the other DA2 threads, they got mucked up pretty quick with PC gamers who had a bone to pick (in some ways, justifiably) I just think its going to be ugly, like the game right?

For the record, I think Bioware should have made this game a spinoff and the actual sequel more like the original. Streamlining the interface for the console version is one thing, but trying to ME2 the game is not the best idea. Simplifying ME2 worked because ME was a shitty RPG (you know its true)

Lime

Zeliard said:

I always consider OTs to be mostly circle-jerks and reach-arounds. While there can be informed and elaborated opinions in any OT, the people usually posting are inclined to be (perhaps blindly) positive. I don't think DA2's OT will be any different.

truly101 said:
I'm not so sure. Based on the other DA2 threads, they got mucked up pretty quick with PC gamers who had a bone to pick (in some ways, justifiably) I just think its going to be ugly, like the game right?

For the record, I think Bioware should have made this game a spinoff and the actual sequel more like the original. Streamlining the interface for the console version is one thing, but trying to ME2 the game is not the best idea. Simplifying ME2 worked because ME was a shitty RPG (you know its true)

I don't get it. Were you just trolling the PC people with that post?

I love how people hate on DA2 for having only one character with a pre-determined race and back story who is voiced, action based gameplay, and lessened party tactics. Bioware also committed the unforgivable sin of planning the game for consoles as well as PCs even though the game is still leading on the PC

Thankfully there is the Witcher 2 , a game with a main character who has a pre-determined backstory and is voiced, action based gameplay, and no party to speak of. CD Projekt has also said they were planning the game out for consoles from day 1 and the entire game can be played on a gamepad as that's how they want it.

Um, so why the love for one and the hate for the other? Witcher 2 looks gorgeous, and if it can solve some of the pacing problems and janky combat of its predecessor it might end up being one of the best RPGs of this gen. But it seems silly that so many people who bitch about the so called Mass Effecting of Dragon Age 2 flock to the Witcher as if it is the bastion of the gameplay that DA1 had. That cannot be further from the truth. Witcher 2 looks to be more "Dragon Effect" than DA2 could ever hope to be, just by virtue of being a far more action based offering.

Not to mention all the complains about lack of choice in one's character ring hollow when I see the same people flocking to Witcher 2 as their salvation. You play as Geralt of Riva in that game, a mutant with white hair, a predefined personality, and no options to customize class or appearance. Hawke can be male or female, and look however you want him to.

So really what gives?

It would've been nice to carry over the character I had invested so many hours in. There was no option with The Witcher so there's no problem there.

Aaron

Because Geralt is one of the most badass characters in all of fiction. Funny thing is the original Witcher was first designed with allowing the player to make their own character, but people just wanted to play Geralt anyway. Though that's how the series started. They're not doing a massive change and ignoring everything that was in the first game. They revamped the combat for Witcher II, but it was action based in the original anyway.

Yeah, the complaints are overblown. DA2 looks pretty close to the original in gameplay.

Zeliard

bishopcruz said:
So really what gives?

Part of it boils down simply to The Witcher actually getting choice & consequence right. That's where most of the praise for the game is centered on, and deservedly, because it's a rare achievement these days and makes an RPG that much more special.

lastplayed said:
It would've been nice to carry over the character I had invested so many hours in. There was no option with The Witcher so there's no problem there.

I can understand wanting to keep the Warden, but by the end of Awakening he/she was pretty much god tier anyway, going further up the power tree would have been pretty absurd, unless they pulled a metroid. I tend to like the idea that each game in the series will focus on a different character, a different part of the world, etc. Assuming it works out that way of course, we'll have to wait and see.

Aaron said:
Because Geralt is one of the most badass characters in all of fiction. Funny thing is the original Witcher was first designed with allowing the player to make their own character, but people just wanted to play Geralt anyway. Though that's how the series started. They're not doing a massive change and ignoring everything that was in the first game. They revamped the combat for Witcher II, but it was action based in the original anyway.

Yeah, the complaints are overblown. DA2 looks pretty close to the original in gameplay.

Which was my point. Geralt IS awesome, no complaints there, (well one, he sounds like a pansy in the English dub.) But as you said DA2 doesn't seem nearly the abandoning of the first that people are making it out to be.

Zeliard said:
Part of it boils down simply to The Witcher actually getting choice & consequence right. That's where most of the praise for the game is centered on, and deservedly, because it's a rare achievement these days and makes an RPG that much more special.

I'm not asking why Witcher is praised. I understand that and it is well deserved, it's the complaining about key points (whether accurate or not) about the direction of DA2, and then holding up Witcher 2 instead. On the points people are harping about, too much action, character customization, and party mechanics, Witcher 2 will go the 'wrong' way more than DA2 would at its theoretical worst.

As far as C&C goes, that's something we can only wait and see on. DA2 will be split up into acts much as Witcher and its sequel are, and the addition of time as a factor may very well allow for a much more reactive setting than ever before. Assuming that Bioware isn't blowing smoke up our collective asses. Either way, we cannot know that until the game ships, but it seems almost irrelevant to the direction that DA2 discussion seems to take more often than not. Choice and consequence, or lack thereof, rarely if ever seems to be harped on in DA2 discussions, it is more often than not: "Game ugly, it's Dragon Effect 2, lulz."

Zzoram

I enjoyed the Witcher combat more than DAO so DA2 might actually be more my style. Waiting until I have time to buy it though, I've pretty much stopped caring about getting games at release since I end up paying more and not playing them until they go on sale anyways.

Jerk

Banned
bishopcruz said:
I'm not asking why Witcher is praised. I understand that and it is well deserved, it's the complaining about key points (whether accurate or not) about the direction of DA2, and then holding up Witcher 2 instead. On the points people are harping about, too much action, character customization, and party mechanics, Witcher 2 will go the 'wrong' way more than DA2 would at its theoretical worst.

Because the Witcher has always been an action-RPG game.

Many view DA2 direction as either a sharp lateral move or a regression (based on who you ask).

Personally, I just want a non-shitty game, so I do not care about the minor stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of my issues thus far are far from minor.

Aaron

bishopcruz said:
Which was my point. Geralt IS awesome, no complaints there, (well one, he sounds like a pansy in the English dub.) But as you said DA2 doesn't seem nearly the abandoning of the first that people are making it out to be.
Yeah, I played Witcher with the Polish audio. Those were the best voices over all.

The DA2 outrage is mainly the usual message board lunacy. It'll die off mostly when the game comes out. No point in asking for reason until that happens.

Axiom

I wanted to love The Witcher, but even fully patched, I'd check my map eventually, everything would be black and I couldn't even save without crashing. That gets old.

If I could actually get through Witcher without having to drop out of the immersion to save every few minutes I'd probably be looking forward to Witcher 2 more than DA2 and have both pre-ordered.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Personally, I just want a non-shitty game, so I do not care about the minor stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of my issues thus far are far from minor.

I'm less concerned with it becoming an ARPG and more concerned that it looks like it would make a pretty clunky ARPG.

"If you move out of the way you dodge attacks!"*gets hit anyway*

"If you move behind this pillar the boss' special attack won't hit you."*thanks to shitty pathfinding your last partymember takes the full brunt of the attack anyway*

I mean, the Rogue's evade skill has a 5-8 sec recovery time and I don't think warriors can even block with their shields.

Plus there's, like, no flinching. 6 foot sword to the face, twitch a bit.

That's why I'm hoping this is just a faster version(but actually balanced this time) of DA1.

kai3345 said:
this. although everything ive seen says otherwise

Everything? Because the gameplay videos, the comments by developers the demo that has been shown on Youtube, it all points to the fact that it is the DA1 combat sped up, and not even sped up all that much, the main difference is new animations and closing attacks. Looking at the demo, combat doesn't seem to be THAT much faster, damage output wise, it looks to be about the same. You just don't have warriors and rogues slowly ambling across the screen.

Hell my only complaint is that friendly fire is off on everything but Nightmare. On the other hand the new version of friendly fire is absolutely brutal, it's not just spells that can hit party members, but big arcing attacks from two handed swords and the like. Could definitely make the nightmare play through interesting.

kitzkozan

cartman414 said:
But the dumbing down of the genre means less top-tier games, especially considering that these guys were once at the top of the genre. It's a depressing case of what could have been.

It's only depressing for the hardcore rpg fans which mean not that many people.

Honestly,most developers realize that top tier doesn't mean much outside of personal satisfaction.Mostly good if you are truly a perfectionist like I am and most of the best in their profession are,but irrelevant for most as they would rather have more money/power.Most hardcore fighting fans consider Street fighter IV to be a crap/mediocre game at best,but it's also the best reviewed and most popular since SFII.Truth be told,it's not all that great.If you put yourself in Capcom shoes however,why would you really care? Game made money,revived the FG scene in the west,especially in NA.

It sound arrogant,but I have noticed that true perfectionist are few and far between. :p The kind of perfectionism that cannot be fulfilled with money or praise or any award whatsoever.It is obvious that most mainstream developer don't feel they need to push things to the limit once they make it big.

It's not surprising if most hardcore crpg are excited for The Witcher 2 and most hardcore jrpg are only waiting for Dark souls,supporting smaller indy developers who are trying to make it big and separate themselves from the rest as they are forced to do so (and most hardcore fighting game fans are praising Arcana heart 3 and Virtual fighter 5 which aren't popular among mainstream/casual fans in the west at all) .

kitzkozan said:
It's only depressing for the hardcore rpg fans which mean not that many people.

Honestly,most developers realize that top tier doesn't mean much outside of personal satisfaction.Mostly good if you are truly a perfectionist like I am and most of the best in their profession are,but irrelevant for most as they would rather have more money/power.Most hardcore fighting fans consider Street fighter IV to be a crap/mediocre game at best,but it's also the best reviewed and most popular since SFII.Truth be told,it's not all that great.If you put yourself in Capcom shoes however,why would you really care? Game made money,revived the FG scene in the west,especially in NA.

It sound arrogant,but I have noticed that true perfectionist are few and far between. :p The kind of perfectionism that cannot be fulfilled with money or praise or any award whatsoever.It is obvious that most mainstream developer don't feel they need to push things to the limit once they make it big.

It's not surprising if most hardcore crpg are excited for The Witcher 2 and most hardcore jrpg are only waiting for Dark souls,supporting smaller indy developers who are trying to make it big and separate themselves from the rest as they are forced to do so (and most hardcore fighting game fans are praising Arcana heart 3 and Virtual fighter 5 which aren't popular among mainstream/casual fans in the west at all) .

What's ironic is that Baldur's Gate II was still a megahit that sold nearly as many copies as DA1 despite being a PC-only game. The problem here is that Bioware/EA/their shareholders want DA2 to hit 10 million.

And that a game's quality is compromised for quantity (of sales) is depressing, not just for hardcore PC gamers, but also anyone with a passion for gaming, period. Is that not part of the issue of the casualization of the industry?

Top Bottom