• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cancel a number of games across UK studios

Gassey said:
$50 says they were all Move based projects.

That's almost certainly the case with London since they're Sony's casual games studio. Evolution/Liverpool are a racing game studio, so i'm not sure about them. They could've been making some Move based racing title.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
-Amon- said:
You guys are surely reading a lot in that announcement.
It's obvious, they cancelled Amphibian Racing: Snow Storm.

It was a move game. One move controller as a joystick for amphibian vechiele and the other move is controlling the light on the outer part of the amphibian vehicle so you can indicate whether or not you want to turn before you actually turn.

Everything is according to the rules of motor operations on the fictional planet of Schlognsanvaltorf. You are scored based on correctly following the street rules and speed.

Reason for cancellation was technical issues with getting split-screen to work (interpreting 2x2 Move controllers.)

Jax said:
I don't understand why more firms don't start chinese studios. Obviously, you can develop talent there and:

$$$ = UKpound
$ = chinese renminbi.

I expect circa 2020, we'll have more established chinese game studios.
cjelly said:
Ubisoft and Gameloft both have fairly large studios in China, IIRC. Problem is they are just used like sweatshops for pumping out shovelware.

I think you would always struggle to lure talent over there.
heh, pretty much this/

epic has a division in china, too. i think it's treated the same as ubisoft's and gameloft's.

the only one i can think of is the developer of the new alice game, published by EA. isn't that team located in china?

Suzzopher

20 or so guys have gone from Evolution. No word from Liverpool but London is meant to be hit the hardest, Singstar Team seem to be out completely.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
some of these UK studios are very useful in terms of innovation and tech tools for the rest of Sony developers and 3rd parties. Things like eyetoy, move etc.

Maybe Sony just think there is enough support on PS3 now, they've had deliberately heavy focus on it to gain momentum but now they can let off the gas a little. Then move the innovation teams onto NGP and maybe even early dev tools etc for PS4?

real shame about evo studios if true though, shitty timing with a big Sony release from them barely even out in stores.

V_Ben

Banned
Suzzopher said:
20 or so guys have gone from Evolution. No word from Liverpool but London is meant to be hit the hardest, Singstar Team seem to be out completely.
Damn, that is exactly what I expected :/ Best of luck to those folks. Thanks for keeping us updated man.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Suzzopher said:

shit.

'hey guys, thanks for that crunch getting MS3 out in time for easter. You did a fantastic job. BTW you're fired'

:/

V_Ben

Banned
Suzzopher said:
If WipEout NGP gets canned I will boycott NGP :x
If you can count on one thing, it'll be that NGP games won't be getting canned. Besides, Wipeout NGP is just a version of Wipeout HD, right?

Suzzopher

V_Ben said:
If you can count on one thing, it'll be that NGP games won't be getting canned. Besides, Wipeout NGP is just a version of Wipeout HD, right?

The video looked like it, but I'd have imagined it would be slightly different.

Suzzopher said:

Ugh, that's not nice. Best of luck to people being let go, and as far as remaining studios are concerned, hopefully the changes turn out being for the better in the long run.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Clear said:
Motorstorm 3 team has been crunching for a solid 2 years on that game
Crunching for two years? That can't be true, can it?

Top Bottom