• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 has 500 cars, "10x better looks" and Jeremy Clarkson

G Rom

The PR stuff is just PR stuff. Of course game developers will lie about things, mainly future things. I mean, I interviewed Dan Greenawalt and he said to me straight in the eyes that the whole TofuR leak was BS and that the 10 DLC plan was also BS, we now know that both were true.

Trickster said:
That's like saying that the engine PD built for GT5 mean nothing since they use GT4 assets

I was obviously exaggerating as both Forza 3 and GT5 didn't ship only with respectively Forza 2 and GT4 assets...

You can't deny that reusing old assets diminish the impact of a new engine though. I'm strictly talking about the graphics engine here.
Since you take the GT5 example, a standard car on a ported GT4 track (La Sarthe without chicanes for example) would just get you better resolution, slightly improved textures, 16 cars on track and better lighting and that's about it. Now drive a Premium car in cockpit view on the GT5 version of La Sarthe with changing time of day and weather and it's like playing a totally different game.
It is the same for Forza, some cars in Forza 3 are straight port from Forza 2 with cockpit view (Shelby GT500, Audi S4, etc...) and look really ugly next to the newly modeled cars...
Oh and some reused tracks actually look worse than in Forza 2 IMO.

To make a better comparison, it would be like doing a straight port of an original Unreal Engine map into the Unreal Engine 3 with no modification in the models. Sure you would gain some effect but would it look like a map developed specifically with the Unreal Engine 3 in mind, obviously not...

Now if you account for the improved physics engine, of course the differences in this department will be noticeable but I was only talking about graphics here.

TheOddOne

Ranger X said:
You can like this type of PR if you want. I don't. From anyone.
I do respect the Forza series however, I don't see who my comment can affect anybody except someone feeling threatened (and for the wrong reasons obviously). There's nothing usual or wierd about my reasoning, I don't like stupid sales pitch --- and not only in videogames, it's in everthing. I would like to live in a world where there's less smoke and mirrors, more real talk.
I never said that I like this kind of PR. You know this type of PR, you know its bullshit, yet you still made that comment. Kind of useless if you ask me.

eso76

benzy said:
demo
cg

Not even the same ground textures

well, in the first pic even the plastic/rubber from which the cockpit is made reflects the environment (at least the brighter elements) and the reflection is perfectly blurred from the roughness of the surface.
Nope, we're not getting anything like that ingame, but if the second shot is representative of what cockpits will look like in F4 then i'm more than satisfied. Looks like a huge improvement from fm3, unless my memory is deceiving me.

jett

D-Member
lolz at people still trying to believe in the Forza 4 CG.

I wonder if this Forza deal has anything to do with the removal of The Stig's image in GT5. He shows up more in the old trailer than in the game. :

derFeef

Oh wow what happens here. Red-line marking cg picture comparions? It is 2009 all over again! (that sounds funny somehow)

traind

op_ivy said:
well, one is taken from a compressed to hell video and the other is an obvious higher res then normal "bullshot". that said, there are differences, but even the compressed video real time screen looks GREAT so i'm not going to complain

this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HFQPVVndE&feature=related can be viewed in 720p and it shows the showroom feature at about 3 min 20 secs. The quality of the model looks really high in the video. Watch closely when he gets to the back of the car and when he goes into the car. It looks significantly better than your screen-shot from the video.

I doubt they can get that quality of modeling for all 500 cars in the game but it would be nice to see it on as many as possible. I also doubt they will look that way in racing but clearly they can do it in showroom mode--as we are seeing it in the video. Maybe the xbox 720 will have those models as in game models too when racing...

G Rom

Are we watching the same video ?
It looks exactly like the poorly compressed direct-feed one, just in off-screen HD...

I don't understand the focus on this old demo which has been analyzed to death already when we've got HD direct-feed footage thanks to the VGA teaser.

Shaneus

op_ivy said:
i DEMAND more epic tight and twisty asphalt rally-esque stages ala positano. so fucking good
I like how you think. There's nothing more satisfying in a driving game than taking even a slightly-banked corner at high speed and bottoming out the car. It's cathartic.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Fm3_Box.jpg

What beautiful progression.. Wouldn't you guys say? Can't wait to see how 4 fits in.

Those 3 covers just look so right when together despite being so different.

Guys... arguing about the possible quality of Forza 4 based on screens of a demo of some "1 car on screen with a very low poly environment, no physics, no IA no nothing" which is months old is like just watching a GT5 photo travel (night Kyoto for example, which looks out of this world when you start moving around) and thinking the actual ingame graphics will be that good.

Just wait and see, after two games I don't think they can squeeze out much more power out of the 360, but they surely can improve the lighting and shaders.

paskowitz

You know I am surprised that NOBODY mentions the piss poor AI in all console racing games and to be honest, the extremely detrimental effect of having only 8 cars on track in FM3 specifically. To me these are so much more important than improving the already decent graphics and physics by 10-15%.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
paskowitz said:
You know I am surprised that NOBODY mentions the piss poor AI in all console racing games and to be honest, the extremely detrimental effect of having only 8 cars on track in FM3 specifically. To me these are so much more important than improving the already decent graphics and physics by 10-15%.

Piss poor AI in FM games? Are you serious?

The AI in this series is way above average for the genre.

imo

Ideally, I would like to see more cars on track (12 at a time at least, maybe) and some more, preferably larger, original tracks.

Turn 10 nabbing Jeremy Clarkson and having 500+ cars is a good thing. I do hope they make improvements to the race events and how you acquire cars in the game. As I mentioned somewhere, GT has a sort of addictive quality because it rewards you with cars you wouldn't normally buy; concepts, racing versions, curiosities. Forza 3 gives you regular cars for leveling up, which is kind of bleh for a game that tries to foster a sense of ownership by giving you all these customisation options.

saladine1

Mr. Pointy said:
Ideally, I would like to see more cars on track (12 at a time at least, maybe) and some more, preferably larger, original tracks.

Turn 10 nabbing Jeremy Clarkson and having 500+ cars is a good thing. I do hope they make improvements to the race events and how you acquire cars in the game. As I mentioned somewhere, GT has a sort of addictive quality because it rewards you with cars you wouldn't normally buy; concepts, racing versions, curiosities. Forza 3 gives you regular cars for leveling up, which is kind of bleh for a game that tries to foster a sense of ownership by giving you all these customisation options.
Having more cars onthe track isn't going to mean shit if the AI isn't up to scratch.
The current and historical scenario is mostly, start from behind, charge your way through to the front within seconds, bump 'n grind a little, take first, stay there 'till the end of the race. The AI is positioned with 1 fast guy at the front, a group in the middle, then you have your useless stragglers.......it's monotonous.
SHIFT on the other hand delivers a better experience in this regard even if they are a little crazy.
Anyway, we'll see what Turn 10 can come up with...

Lakitu

st5fu
Looking forward to it, I enjoyed Forza 3's career mode but it definitely needed some work. I like the sound of an Automotive World Tour. Hopefully this means there are a lot more tracks built on top what was already in Forza 3 (and DLC) along with dynamic weather, day and night system with different racing conditions. That's very important.

I already posted Pacific Shipyard earlier, please Turn 10, listen to me.

And Blue Mountain.

saladine1

Lakitu said:
Looking forward to it, I enjoyed Forza 3's career mode but it definitely needed some work. I like the sound of an Automotive World Tour. Hopefully this means there are a lot more tracks built on top what was already in Forza 3 (and DLC) along with dynamic weather, day and night system with different racing conditions. That's very important.

I already posted Pacific Shipyard earlier, please Turn 10, listen to me.

And Bathurst.
Fixed

Reprise

Neo Member
Yep, Bathurst MUST be there.

I recall on the turn 10 forums they'd ask what track they'd want and it was usually a top 3 request.

saladine1

The thing I love about GT is the passion for history, the passion for all things automotive.. The "test drive mode" with the running text at the bottom is one of my favourite features in GT along with the Museum cards.

I've always wanted Forza to emulate that aspect.
I've been suggesting a "Vehicle Commentary" in Forza for years now and finally it's here

Anyway,this might sound geeky, but I would sit down for hours on end and just listen to the previews/specs of all cars, if it is indeed a feature. With Jeremy at the helm.....I'd bring out the popcorn, the fizzy stuff and make a night of it..

The thing is though, would he give his own commentary, his own views on the cars or would he be reading a Turn 10 prepared script?

saladine1 said:
The thing is though, would he give his own commentary, his own views on the cars or would he be reading a Turn 10 prepared script?

Let's be reasonable here... Turn 10 have been building their relationships with manufacturers for too long to let one loudmouth barge in and ruin it all.

NinjaBoiX

CozMick said:
I demand everything good that GT5 has to offer and then some.

Seriously, this is the least I expect.
So that would be 1/5th of the roster with amazing models, and a really good physics model. They would be wise to ignore Polyphony's approach on pretty everything else though. Turn 10's tracks, interface, community features, engine performance, online features etc, are already superior, so, as you were gentlemen.

Wazzim

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Fm3_Box.jpg

What beautiful progression.. Wouldn't you guys say? Can't wait to see how 4 fits in.

Got 2 and 3 on my shelf but never played the original, is it worth it?

h3ro

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Turn 10's tracks, interface, community features, engine performance, online features etc, are already superior, so, as you were gentlemen.

PD Nurburgring > every other 'Ring ever modeled for a console game.

The only exception is for Bizarre and the amazing weather effects they put on the Ring in PGR4. T10's iteration felt too wide and flat.

TheOddOne

saladine1 said:
No way is he going to "give his own" commentary on the cars. This is logical, because it isn't about what car is better then the other. No car sim or racing game would ever look down or trash any car featured in the game.

Wazzim said:

I've played it a bit on my 360, some of the tracks are nice but the bc isn't perfect, there's bugs in the sound and it runs around 20-25fps max.

Maybe worth getting if you have the old Xbox.

Wazzim said:
It's worth throwing a few quid in to try it, once you race on ALPINE RACEWAY you will start begging turn10 to bring it back in forza 4.

saladine1

TheOddOne said:
No way is he going to "give his own" commentary on the cars. This is logical, because it isn't about what car is better then the other. No car sim or racing game would ever look down or trash any car featured in the game.
Yeah, pretty stupid question.
So, basically, it all boils down to his delivery then.
It'll be strange to hear Clarkson being 'neutral' throughout his commentary.

The Turn 10 version- "The drive can only be described as exhilirating" (regarding an Aston Martin).
Clarkson version- "I would rather be in this than in Keira Knightley"......

NinjaBoiX

h3ro said:

The only exception is for Bizarre and the amazing weather effects they put on the Ring in PGR4. T10's iteration felt too wide and flat.
Fair enough, but I was referring to the visual reprenstation of the tracks. I will say that FM's tracks have aways been a little clinical and maybe too empty, but some of GT5's tracks look like badly upscaled GT4 versions.
There is little doubt that PD's physics, as I've previously stated, are untouchable, as are those premium models, but almost everything else is now woefully outdated. GT6 needs a serious rethink in terms of construction and optimisation IMO.

Yoboman

Gold Member
derFeef said:
... where you could walk around that car and inspect it with Kinect in the demo they showed.
No doubt there are polys/shaders/a-aliasing enhanced when in this mode (if it it makes into the final game) though.
epk4fa.jpg

traind

G Rom said:
Are we watching the same video ?
It looks exactly like the poorly compressed direct-feed one, just in off-screen HD...

I don't understand the focus on this old demo which has been analyzed to death already when we've got HD direct-feed footage thanks to the VGA teaser.

Not all of us have been analyzing this to death for the past year... sorry if you have. If you watch it in HD, it is not poorly compressed-- thus the posting of the link-- as the compressed screenshots made it look like the quality was not great.

Anyway, there will be more information on this title soon.

derFeef

TheOddOne said:
Somebody explain this to me, because I'm not seeing a problem.
I guess he means CGI vs. real time.
And I guess we should stop here, the game is not even out yet nor is there any new media released.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
derFeef said:
I guess he means CGI vs. real time.
And I guess we should stop here, the game is not even out yet nor is there any new media released.

and the screens that are being posted are about a year old at this point

faridmon

Slayer-33 said:
Fm3_Box.jpg

Pretty. I love collections of a single series. Well done my good sir!

Abooie

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Clarkson isn't bad until he goes on his anti-American rants or unending bitching about everything.

I'm in the UK and it's the anti-American (and French, German, Mexican, English, etc, etc, etc) rants that makes Clarkson the funny tit that he is.

I'm also stuck trying to think of a time when he isn't bitching about something...

saladine1

Clarkson is an entertainer. Put simply, without his personality, Top Gear would be just another 'boring old car show'..

Microsoft needs to be more concerned with getting a new low/middle-end wheel to the masses. Preferably one that competes with the DFGT. With the Microsoft wheel discontinued Forza Motorsport 4 would be a perfect time to relaunch a new first/third-party wheel. I have my doubts with Kinect support for games taking center light this whole upcoming year(watch E3 mainly be about how many games will feature kinect support)

eso76

i was toying around with ingame forza motorsport 3 models in lightwave.
Yeah, like i said before they don't really need to use the uber high poly menu version to achieve a 10x better looking game for 4.
Those models are generally fine, here's a very quick test render with decent-ish materials and shaders (no ray tracing, obviously)

KgyGW.jpg

this is an ingame (lod1) model, it appears they also have a lot more 'interiors' than you'd think

sneaky77

Barrel Cannon said:
Microsoft needs to be more concerned with getting a new low/middle-end wheel to the masses. Preferably one that competes with the DFGT. With the Microsoft wheel discontinued Forza Motorsport 4 would be a perfect time to relaunch a new first/third-party wheel. I have my doubts with Kinect support for games taking center light this whole upcoming year(watch E3 mainly be about how many games will feature kinect support)

agreed

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eso76 said:
i was toying around with ingame forza motorsport 3 models in lightwave.
Yeah, like i said before they don't really need to use the uber high poly menu version to achieve a 10x better looking game for 4.
Those models are generally fine, here's a very quick test render with decent-ish materials and shaders (no ray tracing, obviously)

KgyGW.jpg

this is an ingame (lod1) model, it appears they also have a lot more 'interiors' than you'd think

cool. i'd like to see more!

h3ro said:

GT5's Nurburgring pretty much dwarfs every other nurburgring ever made for both consoles and PC's. Am pretty sure they are going to reuse GT5's Nurburgring for GT6, although i will like to see them (PD) remodel the track with laser scanning. If Developers start following in the footsteps of IRacing and GT5 in regards to track modelling Racing Sims will be more enjoyable.

sneaky77

GTP_Daverytimes said:
GT5's Nurburgring pretty much dwarfs every other nurburgring ever made for both consoles and PC's. Am pretty sure they are going to reuse GT5's Nurburgring for GT6, although i will like to see them (PD) remodel the track with laser scanning. If Developers start following in the footsteps of IRacing and GT5 in regards to track modelling Racing Sims will be more enjoyable.

cool story.. what does that have to do with Forza 4?.

Top Bottom