• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB said:

Thanks, Ghaleon! My favorite thing about it is the sound the Warthog makes as it flies by. And how far the bodies get thrown.

Crucio

Ah man I love that NASCAR gametype, so many laughs!

So does anyone care to share a review of the Covie ship Invasion map?

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Don't change it if you like it.
BHS7s.gif

neoism

MrBig said:
I present to all you lowly folks that could not join us...

reach_16071349_Full.jpg

NASCAR

This shot can not even come close to describing how amazing it is.

Put this shit in Action Sack.
this this this... It was so much fun.. :eek:

Crucio said:
So does anyone care to share a review of the Covie ship Invasion map?
Well, that a 7 Spartans v 5 Elites game.
The opening Capture Point felt way too quick, both teams spawn quite close to it.
The internal structure of the ship isn't terrible, a bit complex for the first time playing, the palette of forge materials don't help.
Ship spawn for the Elites can be problematic, as the Spartans tend to just walk by it, easily campable.

For the one match on it, it's a fun one off, but needs a lot of work.

Dani said:
That Nascar thing looks like a renamed Donkey Kong. What's different about it?
Isn't Donkey Kong where you try to get to the top while vehicles and blocks rain down upon your head?

In this, everyone but the zombie spawns at the top and races incredibly fast down the slope and upon reaching the bottom are transported back close to top, keeping the same momentum. The Zombie has a Sword and a Hammer.
It's fucking crazy. Almost a minute spent flipping (occassionally splattering Tunavi).

JonCha

Zeouterlimits said:
Isn't Donkey Kong where you try to get to the top while vehicles and blocks rain down upon your head?

In this, everyone but the zombie spawns at the top and races incredibly fast down the slope and upon reaching the bottom are transported back close to top, keeping the same momentum. The Zombie has a Sword and a Hammer.
It's fucking crazy. Almost a minute spent flipping (occassionally splattering Tunavi).

Just camp at the top while everyone else gets killed. Works every time.

MrBig

JonCha said:
I'm going to add so many more kill barriers up there just for people like you.
And if you notice, whenever you did that you just died as soon as you grabbed a warthog, since you couldn't gain any speed. That's not winning, that's just making yourself useless and boring.

e: you weren't even in the game, that was just people who joined late. You must be playing some different version where there isn't a soft zone over the garage.

JonCha said:

If you're trying to win at NASCAR, you're doing it wrong and are just going to get frustrated.
It's all about the need... the need for speed.

Is anybody else having trouble with the file search in Reach?

It will only let me search for/see gametypes. I was trying to look at the Screenshots of You, but it wouldn't let me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hitmonchan107 said:
Is anybody else having trouble with the file search in Reach?

It will only let me search for/see gametypes. I was trying to look at the Screenshots of You, but it won't let me.

I think Bnet is having issues ATM, I can't render a video right now.

I hate people that break a map when you are testing it, and then you thank them so you can fix it later, and then they just keep on breaking it the same way -_-

Louis Wu

vhfive said:
this post is Halo related
lolz

UCONNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!11!!!!1!! :D
I'm amazed. Never thought they'd make it this far. Looking forward to Monday's game!

GhaleonEB said:
I end the day 22/24 on the weekly Challenge. Should be easy enough to knock off a couple in the morning. That heaping pile of credits is all of 2% of the way to the next rank, but it was fun working up to them.
I ranked up to Field Marshall last night - the weekly challenge put me within 3k of the cutoff, and checking my commendations, I saw I was 15 kills away from Onyx in Close Quarters - so we jumped into Grifball. The 350k to FM seemed long - the 700k to Hero looks REALLY long. :(

Louis Wu said:
I ranked up to Field Marshall last night - the weekly challenge put me within 3k of the cutoff, and checking my commendations, I saw I was 15 kills away from Onyx in Close Quarters - so we jumped into Grifball. The 350k to FM seemed long - the 700k to Hero looks REALLY long. :(

I had just hit Field Marshall when I saw that weekly 18K. Going for that challenge I now have ~230k towards it. I like these weekly challenges that ACTUALLY take a week to earn. Beating a damn campaign mission should be a daily not a weekly no matter how hard. Like todays Tip of the Spear for example, this week did challenges completely right.

Although now at this point all challenges should probably be worth double what they are, sometimes its just more beneficial to play another game rather than go for a challenge, and thats wrong in my opinion. When games used to be worth only like 300 credits for finishing it was always worth it to net that extra 1k, now not so much.

Also Shogun and anyone else from GAF, if you PM me a link to your clip in your fileshare I will download and cap it out. I can then email it to you if you gimme your email, or I can upload it straight to Youtube. It won't be as fast as Bungie.net but it will be free and in 720p.

Also I would like to continue working on the HaloGAF montage but I never got even close to enough clips. I would highly suggest everyone send me your best, you probably won't be cut cause your stuff "isn't good enough" I will try to get everything in unless its honestly just terrible.

Crucio

Wow L.D. Spear only took 34 minutes including Save and Quits. Cool. Weekly done! Hurrah!

xxjuicesxx said:
Also Shogun and anyone else from GAF, if you PM me a link to your clip in your fileshare I will download and cap it out. I can then email it to you if you gimme your email, or I can upload it straight to Youtube. It won't be as fast as Bungie.net but it will be free and in 720p.

Also I would like to continue working on the HaloGAF montage but I never got even close to enough clips. I would highly suggest everyone send me your best, you probably won't be cut cause your stuff "isn't good enough" I will try to get everything in unless its honestly just terrible.

Very generous of you! Thanks!

Side Note: Saw Battle L.A. last night. One of the best action movies this year, the character development is unparalleled.

Having multiple games where none of my shots are hitting people even at close-range. I can't play this game if things like non-host, lag, and high latency are gonna make it impossible to get kills due to blooming issues. Such a dumb-ass move to put that into the game. How did they not expect bloom to cause major problems? I mean, they went as far as trying to compensate for lag issues in Halo3 by giving people extra time to get in a melee hit, even if late. Did no one give thought to bloom giving people with host an extra advantage?
/sigh

wwm0nkey

Willeth said:
It's a twelve minute film and looks to rely heavily on CG, so a two-day shoot doesn't surprise me.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Operation Chastity, though! Apparently a teaser's due this summer.
I haven't, been waiting for that since it was announced :lol

Can't wait to see both though. Both teams seem very talented and hopefully raise interest in finally doing that damn Fall of Reach movie.

Crucio

Hitmonchan107 said:
April Fools' Day is over. :p

Are you saying this while not having seen it(Battle L.A.)? Its worth the watch, not for the aliens, not for the special effects, but for the characters and their interactions. The movie made me feel like I was part of the squad. I felt like I could compare it to a really kick ass video game.

Gui_PT said:
It's really disappointing to see how the system Bungie made "detect idlers" doesn't work at all.

Every single FF match I play has at least 1 idler. And nothing happens to any of them.

Sometimes I even message some of the guys and they never even heard of being banned for idling

=\
When did Bungie say they had a an Idling detection system in place?

Gui_PT

It's really disappointing to see how the system Bungie made "detect idlers" doesn't work at all.

Every single FF match I play has at least 1 idler. And nothing happens to any of them.

Sometimes I even message some of the guys and they never even heard of being banned for idling

=\

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
I had just hit Field Marshall when I saw that weekly 18K. Going for that challenge I now have ~230k towards it. I like these weekly challenges that ACTUALLY take a week to earn. Beating a damn campaign mission should be a daily not a weekly no matter how hard. Like todays Tip of the Spear for example, this week did challenges completely right.
I agree, though I'm enjoying the LASO runs. The last was so brutal it did take much of the week to pull off. This week's Challenge was very fun, and I liked that there were not too many crazy hard ones in the mix. There was a margin of error. (Ending Sunday with the TotS run is kind of deliciously evil for those who need all four.)

This is a crazy minor thing, but I wish the in-game progress bar for your rank had some notches in it, so I could see the progress a bit better. I'm playing Torchlight on and off, and it's got an experience bar with notches every 10%, making it easy to measure steady progress, even slowly. For Reach I judge how many letters I've crossed in my gamertag (yay, I'm up to the E!), and then a massive swath of nothing until the very end where the name of the next rank is. It's impossible to see any progress over the course of a day or even days.

I like to fill bars.
Gui_PT said:

=\
Yeah, that's one of my biggest disappointments with Reach's online system. They tilted the reward currency toward completion, not participation, which encourages idlers. And then didn't build any tools to thwart players to just idle for the completion credits.

GhaleonEB said:
I agree, though I'm enjoying the LASO runs. The last was so brutal it did take much of the week to pull off. This week's Challenge was very fun, and I liked that there were not too many crazy hard ones in the mix. There was a margin of error. (Ending Sunday with the TotS run is kind of deliciously evil for those who need all four.)

This is a crazy minor thing, but I wish the in-game progress bar for your rank had some notches in it, so I could see the progress a bit better. I'm playing Torchlight on and off, and it's got an experience bar with notches every 10%, making it easy to measure steady progress, even slowly. For Reach I judge how many letters I've crossed in my gamertag (yay, I'm up to the E!), and then a massive swath of nothing until the very end where the name of the next rank is. It's impossible to see any progress over the course of a day or even days.

I like to fill bars.

Yeah, that's one of my biggest disappointments with Reach's online system. They tilted the reward currency toward completion, not participation, which encourages idlers. And then didn't build any tools to thwart players to just idle for the completion credits.

GhaleonEB you gave me the firefight bug.

I'd like to see a Halo: Reach Bar Filling Edition™. You get bars for everything you do.

Navigating the menu? Your bar fills up.
Walking in Campaign, Firefight, MP? Your bar fills up.
Upload a file to your fileshare? Your ball fills up.
Navigating through a video in Theater? Your bar fills up.
Moving your reticule around in Campaign, Firefight, and MP? Your bar fills up.

Etc, etc. Make it happen 343i. Also include rainbow armor.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Very unprofessional looking but I;m just glad something is being done.
I do agree a bit, they didnt put as much effort in as the OC team is doing but I dont think it will be bad.

I mean look at those SMG's for OC
2zxt93r.jpg

Crucio said:
Are you saying this while not having seen it(Battle L.A.)? Its worth the watch, not for the aliens, not for the special effects, but for the characters and their interactions. The movie made me feel like I was part of the squad. I felt like I could compare it to a really kick ass video game.
You caught me.

Here's the part of Operation Chastity (and if In the Hearts of Men is an indicator, Halo: Faith) that gets me:

Operation Chastity website said:
It’s scope is fully intended to be cinematic in ambition, both in story and visually and in general terms will be likened to Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, The Hurt Locker and District 9.

With the exception of Reach, the vivid Halo aesthetic sits more in the realm of fantasy than reality. Bright colors. Haunting atmospheres.

That's the aesthetic, mind you. The series as a whole is more science fiction than anything else.

Also, Neil Blomkamp already did the realistic Halo thing. But I understand that it's cheaper to make it realistic.

O D I N

A27_StarWolf said:
Anyone is welcome to join me later tonight, I will be firefighting.

Raincheck. Tonight is my Dresden Files RPG night (yes, I'm an uber nerd. Leave me alone. D:)

I'll catch you this week though; I plan on playing a lot of Halo.

Willeth

wwm0nkey said:
I do agree a bit, they didnt put as much effort in as the OC team is doing but I dont think it will be bad.

I mean look at those SMG's for OC
2zxt93r.jpg
Yeah, the OC stuff looks sweet. The director told me (albeit an age ago) that they were going with puppetry and actors as much as possible instead of CG, too, and I'm looking forward to seeing that.

The dude built a damn Warthog with his own money, for Christ's sake.

Ramirez

Ugh, I need all 4 today, and won't even get a chance to play until late tonight, that campaign one is really lame in this instance for me, sigh.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Ugh, I need all 4 today, and won't even get a chance to play until late tonight, that campaign one is really lame in this instance for me, sigh.
Use the LASO run method, combined with save/quit. I can romp through the level in 20 minutes or so now.

Top Bottom