• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

neoism

A27 Tawpgun said:
Hmm... Bungie admitted the OP pistol in CE was a bug or not intended...
They also were disappointed in H2...my fav Halo.
Halo 3 they were satisfied with. Still plagued by AR starts.
And Reach was their ultimate halo. The swan song... But its probably my least favorite multiplayer.

Eager to see what 343 does.
It shows... :p
I'm being serious... love you bungle. <3

Account Attempt #4 said:
Final Boss – Roy, Lunchbox, OGRE2, Pistola
If not, I'd say it's time to hang up the sticks :p Should be team of the forever,
if they were playing Halo 3
but Reach has brought out the new guard. Dallas was certainly a testament to that. That's not to say I don't I hope the best for them, because I do. FB top 3 please.
Weren't the OGRE brothers always on the team together? Did 2 outshine 1 at some point?

wwm0nkey

posted the Headless Horse man gametype idea (Team Fortress 2) on the optimatch forum if any of you want to give your feedback on the idea, personally I would love something like this.

LINK

Am I crazy if I think it would be cool if 343 would hold a contest for fan made forge maps in which the winning maps were converted to actual, new dlc maps? I know thats not a simple task, but that would be an awesome community challenge. It would also be really cool to see at least one fan favorite map get the full treatment of art assets and so on.

Opening myself up to major criticism, but I decided to go in and change the weapon layout on Highlands.

Edit: Like a careless surgeon, I left some tools laying about the map. This is the cleaned-up version.

I'm not sure about the technical aspects of the weapon spawns (max count, etc.), but if you're bored and would like to have a looksy, let me know what you think.

Major changes:
Plasma launcher -> Conc Rifle
Spartan laser -> Grenade launcher
Grenade launcher -> Rocket launcher
Moved Red Base sniper to West Cave
Moved Blue Base sniper to Cliffs
Moved shotgun spawns further from teleporter to prevent one player from grabbing both shotgun and sniper (Red Base shotgun moved downstairs; Blue Base shotgun moved to end wall)
Removed rocket launchers and snipers from base

Feel free to tell me how terrible it is. :^)

Edit: Wow. The person who won the 604 Halo megapack is the same person who won Gamepro's Legendary Edition earlier this week. So lucky!

Tunavi

Banned
Kuroyume said:
That is the worst idea ever. The best Forged map isn't even as good as Rockets on Valhalla. Seriously.
5KAoR.gif

Squall ASF said:
Weren't the OGRE brothers always on the team together? Did 2 outshine 1 at some point?
Yes they were. And they were twins. Apparently Ogre1 retired
got a girlfriend lol
to do other stuff, college maybe? Ogre2 has carried the FB seed as the last remaining OG member since. That is IIRC of course, it's pretty easy to look up though.
The irony is that now Ogre2 has twins on his team again in Roy/Lunchbox.

Tawpgun

Is there a reason why community BTB seems to have concentrated the biggest group of DUMBASSES I have EVER seen in Halo?

In the same game I had incompetent gunners (twice) got betrayed for sniper (twice) and had a guy drive me off the edge accidentally.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Opening myself up to major criticism, but I decided to go in and change the weapon layout on Highlands.

Here's the map.

I'm not sure about the technical aspects of the weapon spawns (max count, etc.), but if you're bored and would like to have a looksy, let me know what you think.

Major changes:
Plasma launcher -> Conc Rifle
Spartan laser -> Grenade launcher
Grenade launcher -> Rocket launcher
Moved Red Base sniper to West Cave
Moved Blue Base sniper to Cliffs
Moved shotgun spawns further from teleporter to prevent one player from grabbing both shotgun and sniper (Red Base shotgun moved downstairs; Blue Base shotgun moved to end wall)
Removed rocket launchers and snipers from base

Feel free to tell me how terrible it is. :^)

Hmm, I like the first two changes; that might be better than making both Grenade Launchers even if it isn't symmetrical.
Completely removing the Spartan Laser and taking away Rockets from both bases... that's a little more controversial. (It meshes with my own desire for reduced power weapons and more safe vehicles, but that's probably a minority opinion and I don't mind losing that debate.) I'll have to download the map and see where exactly you moved the Shotguns and Snipers.

Also, I assume you're noticing all the love you've been getting on the HBO frontpage. Keep up the expert reporting! :p

ncsuDuncan said:
Hmm, I like the first two changes; that might be better than making both Grenade Launchers even if it isn't symmetrical.
Completely removing the Spartan Laser and taking away Rockets from both bases... that's a little more controversial. (It meshes with my own desire for reduced power weapons and more safe vehicles, but that's probably a minority opinion and I don't mind losing that debate.) I'll have to download the map and see where exactly you moved the Shotguns and Snipers.

Also, I assume you're noticing all the love you've been getting on the HBO frontpage. Keep up the expert reporting! :p
Would you like to try it out with me? I'm so bored.

If any other GAFers/lurkers would like to try it, send me a message on XBL (Hitmonchan107).

And thanks for the good words, Wu!

Kibbles

Is there any way to get 188 kills on Score Attack? The other MM modes are way to fucking laggy. No more fucking Firefight challenges you can't get in Score Attack, that's fucking bullshit because the other modes are unplayable.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Would you like to try it out with me? I'm so bored.

If any other GAFers/lurkers would like to try it, send me a message on XBL (Hitmonchan107).

I would, but I'm walking out the door right now to go see Source Code. I'll post when I'm back and should be up for testing then.

If that's the first you saw of the HBO mentions, there are a couple stories from today or yesterday he sourced your GAF posts for. :)

Recarpo

Kibbles said:
Is there any way to get 188 kills on Score Attack? The other MM modes are way to fucking laggy. No more fucking Firefight challenges you can't get in Score Attack, that's fucking bullshit because the other modes are unplayable.

Can't do it in score attack as the most you can get, that I know of, is 120 in a game. If you haven't already done it, turn all the custom search options on. It doesn't always work, but it makes most of the games at least playable.

LTTP on watching that speed run. Dayummmm those guys are scientific. I can't imagine the number of failed runs they must've had to get this. One missed grenade, accidentally bashing into a tree in the Hog, one missed jump and it's all over. Restart. Thanks for sharing, it's truly tremendous.
EDIT: I forgot how much I loved all the art that Halo borrowed from Aliens in the beginning. By Halo 2 I'd forgotten about things like the ammo counter/ sound effects for the AR, the Pelican's Resemblance to the drop ships, the flood infection forms, the NPC voices. Something about Halo 1 that brings it all back into memory. It was awesome.

feel

Hitmonchan107 said:
Halogaf spamming done right!

Did you get what I sent ya? You are the only one who didn't confirm reception (unless you posted about it in the actual thread and I missed it).

Pretty nifty Noble Team icon remade in Minecraft. I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I don't think I have the imagination for it.

Here's a photo gallery of the MLG Dallas 2011 event. Really good stuff! And here are the photos tagged with "Reach."

Letters said:
Did you get what I sent ya? You are the only one who didn't confirm reception (unless you posted about it in the actual thread and I missed it).
I posted about it in the actual thread, but seriously, thank you so much!

Glad to see you back on GAF!

j9r0qx.jpg

Kibbles

wtf is this, I just joined a "Halo Chess" custom game and I'm a monitor, can't do anything but I am watching spartans and elites all over the board. Thing is, there is only 3 of us in here. Is this a modded map? It keeps saying "Check!" too.

Tawpgun

Kibbles said:
wtf is this, I just joined a "Halo Chess" custom game and I'm a monitor, can't do anything but I am watching spartans and elites all over the board. Thing is, there is only 3 of us in here. Is this a modded map? It keeps saying "Check!" too.
It's a 1 v 1 map. The third player can't do shit.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
This is where you're wrong Dax and I'm tired of people using the same argument. Who said that I don't enjoy the game? If I did say that, I don't remember saying it.
You did. You really don't remember this post?

Deputy Moonman said:
I gave Reach another chance. Played it for a few days. Now I'm done. Hate it with a passion. Cannot fathom what the dumbasses were thinking when they designed the game. I may even burn the copy of the disc and post of a video of it on youtube. Shit I may even burn the crappy ass statue that comes with the Legendary edition too, and the journal. Then I think I will microwave nuke the disc case.

Bungie got so caught up in making such a grand scale experience with campaign, firefight, and forge, that they forgot to nail down the most important part of the game: game play.

Armor lock as a cool method of defending yourself is one thing. Having it spam-able, last long enough to recover your shield, and drop other people's shield repeatedly so that armor lock can spam melee people to death is a fucking joke.

They made it 10 times easier for people to get away from gunfire with sprint, jetpacks, armor lock, invis, and bloom, and then they made normal weapons weak as shit. Combine those two things alone and you get a pile of shit ass.

But let's add even more power weapons and allow the assault rifle the ability to kill people from mid-distance quicker than you can kill with a needle rifle and battle rifle. Oh and let's make the pistol the biggest pussy weapon in halo history. Let's turn frag grenades into plasma grenades by making them gimpy as shit so that they never bounce.

I have another great idea. Let's make it so that pre-damage is completely negated when trying to melee people. Let's make it so that people have to flail around like snakes having sex, trying to melee each other twice instead of having a smooth and streamlined damage system. In fact, let's just make it so that nothing in the game makes any sense regarding damage. Let's make everything a crapshoot crapfest.

That should make everything juusssssstttt right.

I check the weekly update still, for reasons unknown to man. Halo has turned into a freaking Avon party. Let's dress up and see what cool pictures we can get this week. I can't believe one of my favorite game franchises of all time went princess maker and forgot its roots.
Gee, how could anyone think you didn't enjoy the game?

Deputy Moonman said:
Look, you might as well put me on ignore then. I'm not asking you to agree, like, or tolerate anything I say. All I did was try to explain why I still play and how the game is still fun for me. This is what I posted earlier:

Believe it or not I was in a good mood and looking forward to some matchmaking. If the last sentence annoys people, I say grow a sack or something. I didn't ask Dax to post what he did. And if he hadn't responded, I would have never said more.

Dax knows how I feel about the game and should have let it slide. But no. I guess that would be too hard. I should not have responded, either. Now I'm reaping my reward with you chiming in with Dax as if my intentions today were to try and annoy everyone.
Your 'positive' post stank of sarcasm. After a 99% negativtivity posting history you honestly thought people would think you were being serious about looking forward to playing the game? Espescially with the last sentence as it was? Dax read it as he saw it bro.

"I ain't the reason that you gave me no reason to return your call
You built a house of cards and got shocked when you saw them fall
Well are you sayin' I'm innocent?
In fact the reverse
But if you're headin' to the grave
You don't blame the hearse
You're like a little girl yellin' at her brother
'Cause you lost his ball"

Props to Hitmonchan by sucking in half an internet's worth of Halo news just so Wu has one place to get it from :p

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

And that's why he's been on ignore by me for a long time. Others may have their problems with it but there are at least spurts where they do talk about what they do like. From him there has never once been a good word said about the game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Account Attempt #4 said:
Yes they were. And they were twins. Apparently Ogre1 retired
got a girlfriend lol
to do other stuff, college maybe? Ogre2 has carried the FB seed as the last remaining OG member since. That is IIRC of course, it's pretty easy to look up though.
The irony is that now Ogre2 has twins on his team again in Roy/Lunchbox.

Pretty scary team. A lot of people consider Roy to be the best Reach player on the circuit. They've got some time to mesh, hopefully they can get some stuff done.

I gotta watch the rebroadcasts, I missed a lot of MLG that weekend.

GhaleonEB said:

Honestly, yeah i had forgotten that post. Thank you for bringing it back to my attention. I had only been in the team slayer playlist when I posted that, and I was pretty frustrated after a streak of really bad games. When I jumped into arena a lot of those things which I complained about were alleviated: no armor lock, no invis, dmr starts for the most part. I'm sure I posted some thoughts about that too, but you conveniently forgot to post a link to anything that would save some face for me. But I take no offense, as I'm sure it was completely unintentional and you have the best intentions...

You know? all I did was respond to Dax's post today (and I tried not to be a douche or offend anyone in the process). Then Hydranockz jumps on my case. I thought my posts were pretty tame today.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
Pretty scary team. A lot of people consider Roy to be the best Reach player on the circuit. They've got some time to mesh, hopefully they can get some stuff done.

I gotta watch the rebroadcasts, I missed a lot of MLG that weekend.
lol everyone did the streaming was beyond awful

EDIT:
Hitmonchan107 said:
It's actually a painting of a very good album my girlfriend did for my birthday. :^)
You have a pretty awesome girlfriend that album is so goddamn good (I'm pumped for their new one)

The ragdoll physics are still as mesmerizing as they were back in the beta. That one animation where the body spins as it is flying is a thing of beauty.

Crucio

Wow, for once I've been challenged by Bungie in Firefight.

188 kills in one match with the current playlist settings is really difficult. Especially if you can't get to the bonus round. Ugh..

Twice I had 179 and 176. Those were very frustrating games because the time ran out or there were too many players on the map.

But I managed finally on Courtyard with 189 kills. I was freaking pushing it to the max man, I swear that Sniper turned red and was about to melt away in my hands. Very though challenge. My heart was racing in that bonus round trying to pinpoint everything I could. Wow..

vhfive said:
You have a pretty awesome girlfriend that album is so goddamn good (I'm pumped for their new one)
Thanks, man! Transatlanticism is definitely my favorite album of all time.

Is anybody ready to play Reach yet?

Hitmonchan107 said:
Thanks, man! Transatlanticism is definitely my favorite album of all time.

Is anybody ready to play Reach yet?

Just got back from Source Code (AMAZING, GO SEE IT).

Getting on Reach now.. I'll watch Archer at 11 I suppose.

GT: ncsuDuncan

EDIT: blarg, downloading a system update, give me a minute

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just played a game where everyone on my team got a 1344 rating. LOL how weird.

we lost :(

Hitmonchan107 said:
It's actually a painting of a very good album my girlfriend did for my birthday. :^)

That is AWESOME!

Keeper Status!

ncsuDuncan said:
Just got back from Source Code (AMAZING, GO SEE IT).

Getting on Reach now.. I'll watch Archer at 11 I suppose.

GT: ncsuDuncan

EDIT: blarg, downloading a system update, give me a minute

I wold like to take this time to alert GAF of how hilarious Archer is. Watch it.

Hydranockz said:
Had some good and bad games with Hitmonchan107 and ncsuDuncan. Man that Team Swat game on Asylum was laughably bad :p
I'm calling it now: aimbots. :lol

I've never sucked more at Team Snipers than I have tonight.

I'm sorry you had to witness that.

Edit: Sorry for the double posting! I'm an idiot.

Noble 29 over at the Waypoint forums posted this beautiful piano rendition of Ashes from the Reach OST.

I thought Ghal would like this: Machinima Respawn posted a video about the joys of playing Firefight without reliable teammates. The team also posted a video yesterday with Mr. Sark.

IGN posted its Top 10 Kills for the week. I'm using the Dailymotion mirror, because I loathe IGN's player with a passion. These kills are a definite improvement over last week's video (except No. 5). Definitely worth the watch.

Would you like a good laugh tonight? Here's Away From Keyboard's "7 reasons Halo Reach is the worst game in the series."

More news: For those of you who live in or near Franklin, Tenn., video game company The Score is holding a gaming convention Saturday. The event will have four-on-four Reach tournaments, as well as guest speakers and live music. It's being held at Sodium, a 20,000-square-foot recreation facility. The convention begins at 9 a.m., and the Reach tournament begins at 4:30 p.m.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Noble 29 over at the Waypoint forums posted this beautiful piano rendition of Ashes from the Reach OST.

I thought Ghal would like this: Machinima Respawn posted a video about the joys of playing Firefight without reliable teammates. There was also one yesterday with Mr. Sark.

IGN posted its Top 10 Kills for the week. I'm using the Dailymotion mirror, because I loathe IGN's player with a passion. These kills are a definite improvement over last week's video (except No. 5). Definitely worth the watch.

Number two of last weeks rocked if I recall :p

GhaleonEB

Got a game on Beachhead - my best map - where one player quit out right away. The other two are playing, but not that good, lots of deaths early. I get 60 kills in the first Round. That's about on pace to clear the 188 Challenge.

Several last man standing episodes later, including facing off a heavy Elite wave with two Hunters and a Wraith - all taken down solo, some at the same time - I finish the game with 192 kills. My hands hurt and it was intense as hell, but I did it. The game would have gone on longer, but we ran out of time.

Except 10 (!!) of those kills were Wraiths, which don't count toward the Challenge, so I don't get it. 192 kills, 10 Wraiths, 2 deaths, ran out of time, Challenge failed.

Sad. Face.

Urk - please. This Challenge more than any other made it clear there needs to be a longer game of Firefight. Even if it's just a solo game. Please mention this to Lars/Jeremiah. Please? It's a pretty cruel thing to dangle this so.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Urk - please. This Challenge more than any other made it clear there needs to be a longer game of Firefight. Even if it's just a solo game. Please mention this to Lars/Jeremiah. Please? It's a pretty cruel thing to dangle this so.
Also, challenges that require the player to deal with possible crazy Firefight lag and/or douchebag players are bad. Longer Score Attack games or smaller numbers please.

Dani said:
Teaching Nutter, Trasher and Cocop the "Secret" of the Purple Box
Teh pretties... Where did that tutorial on making panaorama shots like that go?

Also... what is the secret of the purple box? :eek:

Top Bottom