• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Decom said:
I was going respond by saying how hard it is for me to believe that. But then I read the post immediately following yours:

This is exactly what the "team and party" option is for.
Yea but sometimes I match people I know and so I'll unmute to talk to them before or after the match. Maybe also for some trash talking. A lot of people have told me to turn that on but I haven't.

Oozer3993

eeblogue said:
Parties/teams of 'X' amount of players should only match up against their equivalent (eg. A team of four players should only match up against another team of four). - Fixing this issue alone would also make matches more competitive.

If I'm remembering correctly, Brian or Urk mentioned last year that the game already does this. But there has to be another team of 4 of roughly the same skill as your team searching at the same time.

Also, opposing teams should not be able to hear each other in-game. Players are forced to mute the other team pre-game, resulting in many avid MLG gamers being automatically mic muted. This results in me having a diluted communication experience when dabbling in other playlists.

Go to your communication settings and choose Team and Party. Now you'll never hear the other team.

Letters said:
This is a big issue. Every MLG MM lobby is full of auto-muted players now.

And yeah, I hope when 343 takes over, they have players display the (currently hidden) 1-50 truskill rank in select playlists like mlg and swat, even if it moves up and down very easily.

TrueSkill does not assign a 1-50 number to you. That was introduced by developers because the actual TrueSkill numbers would be completely inscrutable to 99.99% of the player base. TrueSkill is a combination of two numbers, μ ("peak point") and σ ("spread").

Microsoft said:
Interestingly, the TrueSkill ranking system can do all calculations using an initial uncertainty of 1, because then μ and σ can be scaled to any other range by simply multiplying them. For example, suppose all calculations are done with an initial μ of 3 and σ of 1. If one wishes to express player’s skill as one of 50 “levels”, multiply μ and σ by 50/6 = 8.3 because almost all μ's happen to be within ± 3 times the initial σ.

LosDaddie said:
Anybody still need the Weekly Challenge done and want to join up tonight?

I'm in. Just name a time.

eeblogue said:
TrueSkill does not seem to be as prominent in clashing you with similarly skilled team mates and opponents like it did in the ranked playlists of Halo 3. This is actually an issue that spans all playlists outside of Arena, but due to the higher skill level of players seen in the MLG playlist the problem is just more apparent.

Parties/teams of 'X' amount of players should only match up against their equivalent (eg. A team of four players should only match up against another team of four). - Fixing this issue alone would also make matches more competitive.

With the scoring in Arena now solely being based off whoever wins, why can’t we see the MLG playlist and objective playlists being moved to Arena?

Also, opposing teams should not be able to hear each other in-game. Players are forced to mute the other team pre-game, resulting in many avid MLG gamers being automatically mic muted. This results in me having a diluted communication experience when dabbling in other playlists.

Jeremiah has stated that it was mlg who opted to not include party restrictions. I agree with the sentiment about uneven teams in general though.

neclas

Tashi0106 said:
Yea but sometimes I match people I know and so I'll unmute to talk to them before or after the match. Maybe also for some trash talking. A lot of people have told me to turn that on but I haven't.
Ok, I was missing the point that you guys wanted to talk in the lobby. That's not a big concern of mine, so I just turn T&P on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
^^^
The amount of effort, thought, debate, programming and art resources, playtesting surveys, data analysis and sleepless nights that were poured into the Needler far outpace any four other weapons combined.
Heh.

In Armory related discussion, I wish there was a chest piece just like the H3 one for choosing. :(

Miggytronz

*Announcement*
Director Jared Pelletier signs on with Machinima. 'Faith' is now obtained by Machinima and will be distributed through the company and available exclusively on their Youtube Channel!

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Just thought I'd mention that Jaime Griesemer has been posting a LOT on his design blog. Fascinating, insightful stuff (even when I disagree with something).

http://thetipofthesphere.com/
That reminds me, have you guys seen this blog? He's a concept artist for bungie and only recently has microsoft allowed him to release his work. Check out the older posts, they're pretty incredible
His related blogs are other bungie concept artists.

http://www.isaachannaford.com/

Tashi

Decom said:
Ok, I was missing the point that you guys wanted to talk in the lobby. That's not a big concern of mine, so I just turn T&P on.

It's cool, I forgot to mention that point.

eeblogue

Neo Member
Oozer3993 said:
Go to your communication settings and choose Team and Party. Now you'll never hear the other team.

I think you’re missing my point.

By playing in the MLG playlist I will consistently get muted game after game by the other team (if I am not already) because like Tashi said – people don’t want the other team to hear their call-outs. So, when I go in for a few games in other playlists I will be already muted for everyone due to how the voice ban system works. I want to communicate with my team mates but players outside of the MLG playlist assume that I have already been muted because I am abusive or have faulty mic and will refrain from un-muting me.

It's not a massive issue but it could be easily fixed.

GhaleonEB said:
Just thought I'd mention that Jaime Griesemer has been posting a LOT on his design blog. Fascinating, insightful stuff (even when I disagree with something).

I love stuff like this, as much as I might not always agree with the decisions I have a lot of respect for the people making them, its hard to balance that stuff! Its great to see people handing out this kind of knowledge.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
That reminds me, have you guys seen this blog? He's a concept artist for bungie and only recently has microsoft allowed him to release his work. Check out the older posts, they're pretty incredible
His related blogs are other bungie concept artists.

http://www.isaachannaford.com/
I had the chance to meet him (talking with Shishka) at PAX 10 last summer, and it was all I could do not to start blubbering about how epic he is, man. I think all I managed was something along the lines of, 'your work is really incredible'.

Understatement. Every piece he does captures what I love about Halo's art. The man is absurdly talented.

When you mute someone in Halo, what exactly does it do?

In terms of:
A> You can't hear them talk.
B> They can't hear you talk.

Is it both A AND B? As in it both 'mutes' and 'deafens' them to you?
I always thought it was just A, but that would mean if you're trying to prevent them from hearing you in proximity chat you're doing it wrong...

Edit:
GhaleonEB said:

Holy crap, thank you for this link Ghaleon. I've actually been thinking about starting my own blog for writing up all the long, random (amateur) game feature/balance ideas I have.

GhaleonEB said:
I had the chance to meet him (talking with Shishka) at PAX 10 last summer, and it was all I could do not to start blubbering about how epic he is, man. I think all I managed was something along the lines of, 'your work is really incredible'.

Understatement. Every piece he does captures what I love about Halo's art. The man is absurdly talented.

Nice job last night with Generator Defense. We might be the first guys ever to have completed an entire game of limited on it.

From Jamie Griesemer's Tip of the Spear blog linked above.

Unannounced Project, Game Designer 2008 – 2010
• Participated in very early stages of project planning
• Designed and built multiple gameplay prototypes in a modified version of the Halo engine
• Helped to secure publisher funding partially on the basis of these prototypes

Just thought a couple things were interesting:
- Jaime still works for Bungie, right? Just wondering why he didn't put 2011. Update that resume!
- I know Bungie's been working on The Next Big Thing for a while. Apparently since 2008 at least.
- Gameplay prototypes built on a modified Halo engine? Not a lot to glean from that, still leaves it open to many different game genres.

xxjuicesxx said:
If I recall Ogre 1 always outshined 2, Ogre 1 was always getting best sniper on the circuit awards in H2, dunno about H3 but that game was shit and required the skill of a chimpanzee.

Halo 2 was a mans game. Halo 3 is for boys.

i always remember people hated Halo 2 compared to Halo 1. I thought they liked Halo 3. but hated Halo 2. Could be wrong :/

Tashi

AlimNassor said:
i always remember people hated Halo 2 compared to Halo 1. I thought they liked Halo 3. but hated Halo 2. Could be wrong :/
People hate and love every Halo game.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:

- Jaime still works for Bungie, right? Just wondering why he didn't put 2011. Update that resume!
Nope.

Edit: Wu'd.

Ah. My mistake. Sorry to see him go, he was one of the names/faces I'd always recognize in the ViDocs. Looked like a cross between Jonah Hill and Mark Zuckerberg. :p

Still nice to see he had a hand in the early stages of The Next Big Thing.

Edit: Just noticed this as I was reading his site. No further explanation needed. "Temporarily retired" sounds nice :)
About Jaime Griesemer
I'm a temporarily retired game designer, most likely sitting in a coffee shop with my laptop.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:

- I know Bungie's been working on The Next Big Thing for a while. Apparently since 2008 at least.
- Gameplay prototypes built on a modified Halo engine? Not a lot to glean from that, still leaves it open to many different game genres.

That is very interesting though. We shouldn't of course read too much into that though.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
When you mute someone in Halo, what exactly does it do?

In terms of:
A> You can't hear them talk.
B> They can't hear you talk.

Is it both A AND B? As in it both 'mutes' and 'deafens' them to you?
I always thought it was just A, but that would mean if you're trying to prevent them from hearing you in proximity chat you're doing it wrong...

Edit:

Holy crap, thank you for this link Ghaleon. I've actually been thinking about starting my own blog for writing up all the long, random (amateur) game feature/balance ideas I have.

If I remember correctly it's both.

Crap I hate not refreshing. I thought that was under my old post. I so didn't mean to double post. I could have just edited this response into it.

Mikasangelos said:
wow at the Piano cover of Ashes from the OST. So well done.
I can't stop listening to it!

News updates:

Machinima Respawn posted another Matchmaking Spot to its YouTube channel. This one has the whole crew (Sark, Hutch and Edit: The Dead Pixel) helping the man from the other videos tackle the Pillar of Autumn level. Is he manifesting his Halo fantasies through menial tasks? Or is he slowly losing his grip on reality? Either way, it's entertaining!

Justgameblogger is hosting a Reach Xbox Live free-for-all tournament, which begins Wednesday at 7 p.m. EST. The winning combatant will win a $25 GameStop gift card or 1600 MSP (winner's choice). Read the article for more details!

TheGamersHub posted its review on the Defiant Map Pack. While the writer was unimpressed with Condemned and Unearthed, he believed Highlands was the saving grace of the DLC. Go give it a read if you're still on the fence.

I don't normally post commentary videos, but this one reminded me of a Reach-themed Seananners video. Tehd3m0l1sh3r talks about the difference between love and attachment while playing Team Doubles on Uncaged. Whenever he drops his weird "radio" voice, it's interesting.

Bonus round:

That's not good: In episode 28 of "Halo Reach Tricks," CMNeir shows you how to get out of Hemorrhage in Matchmaking. It requires two people, a jetpack and an enemy team that can't snipe.

Rooster Teeth's Fails of the Weak Volume 29 is up!

Achronos

The auto-mute ban system is designed to deal with this problem of "muting everybody all the time" biasing the results of who the system decides to auto-mute. I can't really explain how, but suffice to say that this situation was anticipated and accounted for.

Let's just say that if you're auto-muted, it might be more than just people who mute the opposing team all the time causing you to get auto-muted.

eeblogue said:
I think you’re missing my point.

By playing in the MLG playlist I will consistently get muted game after game by the other team (if I am not already) because like Tashi said – people don’t want the other team to hear their call-outs. So, when I go in for a few games in other playlists I will be already muted for everyone due to how the voice ban system works. I want to communicate with my team mates but players outside of the MLG playlist assume that I have already been muted because I am abusive or have faulty mic and will refrain from un-muting me.

It's not a massive issue but it could be easily fixed.

FourDoor

Achronos said:
The auto-mute ban system is designed to deal with this problem of "muting everybody all the time" biasing the results of who the system decides to auto-mute. I can't really explain how, but suffice to say that this situation was anticipated and accounted for.

Let's just say that if you're auto-muted, it might be more than just people who mute the opposing team all the time causing you to get auto-muted.

What exactly do you see when your account gets automuted? Do you see a reason or notification as to why you were automuted?

And is automuted and voice ban the same thing?

feel

Achronos said:

Whoa, sweet. And knowing how the average MLG kid behaves, it makes sense that a huge chunk of the people on that playlist are silenced by default and deserving it.

The Real Napsta said:
Never mind that Halo 2 had way more aim assist than Halo 3 and the noob combo. A chimp could snipe in Halo 2 with the huge amounts of sticky aim and huge hitboxes.

Yes because all that stuff you listed only applied to ONE player.

I fucking hate that argument. All the players were playing the same game with the same auto aim but you weren't even close to Pistola's level of FFA or as smart as Final Boss was with strats.

The fact you could do so much in such little time with YY's and double beatdowns let someone who had dexterity and quick thought succeed in the game of Halo 2 in a way that fell to the sides in the later Halo's and such made each game require less skills in many areas.

xxjuicesxx said:

I fucking hate that argument. All the players were playing the same game with the same auto aim but you weren't even close to Pistola's level of FFA or as smart as Final Boss was with strats.

The fact you could do so much in such little time with YY's and double beatdowns let someone who had dexterity and quick thought succeed in the game of Halo 2 in a way that fell to the sides in the later Halo's and such made each game require less skills in many areas.

The good players are the ones who have good situational awareness and know how to get themselves in good positions. As far as im concerned at that level of play that is so much more important than even being able to aim, because everyone can do that. So I semi agree with you, except for the part about button combo's. :p

I do think though that a harder to use Sniper brings about more exciting gameplay. After all theres more to it than just generally pointing and shooting, it feels much more impressive when you have to have good 'aim' to top that off.

bobs99 ... said:
The good players are the ones who have good situational awareness and know how to get themselves in good positions. As far as im concerned at that level of play that is so much more important than even being able to aim, because everyone can do that. So I semi agree with you, except for the part about button combo's. :p

I do think though that a harder to use Sniper brings about more exciting gameplay. After all theres more to it than just generally pointing and shooting, it feels much more impressive when you have to have good 'aim' to top that off.

You've never seen competitive fighters? Definitely skillworthy, button accuracy has always been a major concern with gaming. Only the best can hit the right buttons everytime in the right pattern with the right timing...doubleshots and aiming at the same time, I had to learn how to claw to do that stuff, fuck thats skill.

Tashi

xxjuicesxx said:
You've never seen competitive fighters? Definitely skillworthy, button accuracy has always been a major concern with gaming. Only the best can hit the right buttons everytime in the right pattern with the right timing...doubleshots and aiming at the same time, I had to learn how to claw to do that stuff, fuck thats skill.
My problem with them is that they were glitches. They weren't meant to be there. I used them but I would prefer if they weren't there at all.

blamite

Someone mentioned a few pages back that we need a map taking place on Onyx, right? I was thinking about the same thing a while back, and ended up with a few ideas for Onyx based maps I' love to see. I figured I'll write them up here so 343 can steal borrow them. They're all based on locations from Ghosts of Onyx, just like Highlands and Condemned are Fall of Reach locations.

Treehouse
Based on the Tree House base mentioned in GoO, this could be a Guardian-style map set in the trees above Onyx. A couple simple UNSC structures connected across a several branches, maybe with a few air lifts to get from building to building, Guardian style. Even a Guardian remake would be nice in this setting, if 343 was that lazy. I can picture a nice green skybox, with a Spartan III training field off in the distance.

Zone 67
Set in or around Zone 67, this map could be a Valhalla/Beaver Creek/Snowbound style map set outside an ONI base. I could see it having mostly UNSC and ONI buildings, with hints of Forerunner material below the surface. Maybe even some Sentinels flying around. Something cool. I don't have any specific ideas, but 343 could definitely come up with an interesting take on this style of map.

Sentinel
Set it in a sentinel factory like the one in Halo 2 or GoO. The one in GoO is gigantic too, so it could take place in a smaler more specific location within the factory. We've never seen one of these while it's working before, so it could be pretty awesome to see some huge Forerunner machinery up close. Maybe a CQC map, or something like The Pit would fit the setting. You could also do a BTB map, with specific sections of the factory as locations scattered across the map. Endless possibilities. This would also be a good place for a new Forge World, assuming it had more than just Forerunner pieces.

Portal
I really want to see a Firefight map based on the Portal room from the end of GoO. It's basically a smaller version of the huge portal from Halo 3, so there's a couple ways to approach it, from defending the top of the hill to fighting for a specific section around the bottom, or something. The section of the book that takes place around the portal is basically just a huge firefight defense, too, so it'd fit right into the story.

Box it up, call it the Onyx Map Pack, 800 MSP. Profit. Feel free to steal my idea, 343!

xxjuicesxx said:

All I'm saying is that H2 required less aiming skill than Halo 3. Notably with the BR and Sniper. Small aiming skill-gap isn't good for competitive play.

The button combos did add another layer of depth, I'll give you that.

feel

Guess my entry wasn't flashy enough,

11izwnb.jpg

thought using an uncommon vista of a scary formation of ships flying low above some mountains, but guess not, next time I should focus less on the content and more on taking the shot in the middle of 38 grenades exploding simultaneously for maximum filter action! :D

edit- and also need to remember to submit my next all star entry from a different email/gamertag/bnet-account, just in case :p

GhaleonEB said:
daaawwww. That's awesome.

Top Bottom