• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nex-gen question: Why can't MS and Sony make something together? MS has to use blue-ray so they are already conceding there. MS is a software company and they are great at it, we can take a look at the 360 and see they did a rough job with the hardware though. If they teamed up, it could amazing.

Mistle

Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

Screen is detachable. Don't take it too seriously, lol. I do believe it's much more ergonomic than the other mock ups though.

EDIT: Btw- I in no way wish for Skyward Sword to be moved to next-gen, haha

EatChildren said:
Sure, but I honestly dont expect this to launch until mid to late 2012, and I expect Skyward Sword to be the 2011 holiday title. I'd much rather Nintendo just release it as the Wii's swangsong,
No please, the wii can´t do pretty.

Maybe it's just an update on the Wiimote/Nunchuck design with the screen connected to the top of the nunchuck part, pistol-grip style? That would solve the 6" screen but better than Move problem most of you are having.

watershed

Banned
Foffy said:
I was banking on this happening. I bet it's going to be exactly like the 3DS.

- Major reveal at E3
- Release early next year
- Offer enough supply that doesn't cause droughts

The only thing I disagree with is having enough supply. The 3ds didn't sell out, but sold very well for its price point and launching out of seaon, but people interpret its launch as weak. By under supplying Nintendo can guarantee positive headlines of a sellout/ another hit console.

thuway

I might be the only person here who thinks this is a bad idea. I like the prospect of an HD Zelda, Mario, Smash Brothers, however...

Unless this controller adds significant gameplay enhancements, I just don't understand the investment. I would rather them go with 2gb of Ram, and a more powerful GPU than a Screen inside each controller.

watershed

Banned
cuevas said:
Nex-gen question: Why can't MS and Sony make something together? MS has to use blue-ray so they are already conceding there. MS is a software company and they are great at it, we can take a look at the 360 and see they did a rough job with the hardware though. If they teamed up, it could amazing.

Not sure if serious.

Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

Screen is detachable. Don't take it too seriously, lol. I do believe it's much more ergonomic than the other mock ups though.

That's actually the best one I've seen so far. I just don't know if that's actually 6 inches though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

Decent, but the screen would still have to be bigger.

Mistle

Yeah, the whole control would be bigger to make room for the screen. I just made it as a concept, so people can get the general feel for what I'm imagining.

What I don't get is, how is there supposed to be a Wii Motion/Move control dynamic in these mockups that are just a conventional controller with a screen added?

Touch

Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

Best so far, in my opinion. Very clean and simple. I like it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I like your mockup Mistle, but I think the screen should be above the controls so it would be easier to play a game transferred to it.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
cuevas said:

You do realize that sony don't own bluray? They don't make something together because they have competing brands in the same market. It's not like Nintendo are this all dominating force that need to be taken down.

flak57

Couldn't the combination of the screen and the precise motion detection from the new Wii make for some interesting pseudo virtual reality games, or has this been suggested already?

As in you could physically spin your body around with the controller/screen in front of your face, and the Wii would detect where you are facing based on the position of the controller and have this reflected in your positioning in the 3D world depicted on the controller's screen?

I could imagine some amazing horror games being created this way.

- J - D -

plainr_ said:

I don't agree with the concept, but great work though.

Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

http://i.imgur.com/Wv4ON.png

EDIT: Btw- I in no way wish for Skyward Sword to be moved to next-gen, haha[/QUOTE]

This one is the best so far. Nice!

Touch

Andrex said:
Decent, but the screen would still have to be bigger.
Does it actually need to be bigger than that or are we going by the 6 inch information? I think the size in this mock up is perfect, for a screen add on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alien Coded DNA said:
Does it actually need to be bigger than that or are we going by the 6 inch information? I think the size in this mock up is perfect, for a screen add on.

6 inch info. I would love if it were like 3.2 inches.

Mistle

jj984jj said:
I like your mockup Mistle, but I think the screen should be above the controls so it would be easier to play a game transferred to it.
Thanks! But don't you think the screen being below would be easier on the thumbs? Think about the way you hold a controller- you can't really reach to the top, but you can reach around the bottom.

In all honesty I think having a 6" screen on the controller is all a bit ridiculous lol. I just can't imagine it being pulled off perfectly, nor it being a huge driving point for the console. I guess Nintendo know what they're doing though, can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve.

neoanarch

Andrex said:
6 inch info. I would love if it were like 3.2 inches.

Anyone think of the nook bottom screen?

But if you look at the NGP and change some of its dimensions and you would have a perfect control. At least thats what I'm expecting.

ElRenoRaven

Alien Coded DNA said:
Oh, okay. I agree about 3.2 would be lovely. I don't understand why it would need to be any larger.

Honestly I could see the screen being smaller then 6 inches. It wouldn't surprise me to see the rumors being wrong on the size.

Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

I would not enjoy holding that, but it does look plausible to me.

StranGER

do you guys recall all the rumors of the wii having a touch screen controller with tactile feedback?

there was a thread here that had all kinds of fan mock up pictures.
do ya think this is just that coming out again or do you think this time is for real?

Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

I would place the analog sticks on the same level with one another, but outside of that it looks pretty good. Seems like an odd shape to hold, though, but I can't really say for sure.

Red

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I would place the analog sticks on the same level with one another, but outside of that it looks pretty good. Seems like an odd shape to hold, though, but I can't really say for sure.
Yuck no, don't need my thumbs fighting each other for space.

Jex

Gary Whitta said:
What I don't get is, how is there supposed to be a Wii Motion/Move control dynamic in these mockups that are just a conventional controller with a screen added?
That...is a good question.

watershed

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Honestly I could see the screen being smaller then 6 inches. It wouldn't surprise me to see the rumors being wrong on the size.

It wouldn't surprise me to see that the rumors are wrong about a lot. At least the rumors have died down so GAF may return to sanity.

Mistle said:
Here's my mock up:

Wv4ON.png

That looks good but I still don't understand how the screen will be used. If I'm using the thumbsticks, switching down to the screen real quick for something would seem really...impractical o_O

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gary Whitta said:
I don't understand motion controls on a controller that has a screen, especially a 6" screen. Swinging that thing around doesn't sound like the best of ideas.

Pyrokai

Woah. Thread exploded in my absence. Last I heard the controller would have a 6" screen and dual analog. What's come since then? What of the system's power? Sorry I'm taking the lazy way out :p

Krowley

The fact that they are going with 6 inches, plus the emphasis on the ability to stream back to the controller keeps making me go back to the idea of a 3d enabled display on the controller.

I mean, why bother with such a big touch screen otherwise? 5 inches would be fine... Heck, 3 inches would be fine if gameplay was the main reason it was there.

But if you intended for people to use the controller as a main way to view the games for the system because you were going to use 3d tech in your screen, then you would be likely to use an especially big screen, and you would spare no expense to make sure that the streaming tech for the wireless video was top notch.

I know it would cannibalize the 3ds, but honestly, they have the tech, and it can't be properly implemented in televisions for a reasonable price at the moment.

antonz

Pyrokai said:
Woah. Thread exploded in my absence. Last I heard the controller would have a 6" screen and dual analog. What's come since then? What of the system's power? Sorry I'm taking the lazy way out :p

The System power laid out has been shown to basically be guesses and conjecture by one source that others opted to report as fact. At this point we are just left with most reporting significantly more powerful than PS3/360.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here's an idea... what if the screen attaches to the wrist of one of the player's arms, allowing you to use the non wiimote hand to use the touch screen controls. I dunno. *shrugs*

Pyrokai said:
What of the system's power? Sorry I'm taking the lazy way out :p

Different sources saying as powerful as 360/PS3, to slightly more powerful, to significantly more powerful.

Supposedly sports an R700 series GPU, which could also consist of something like a 4870 x2 maybe...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gary Whitta said:
I really doubt Nintendo is doing anything as unimaginative as simply grafting a screen into a traditional controller design.

If it really does have two analog sticks, bumpers, a d-pad, buttons, and triggers there's not a ton they can do with the design... but who knows.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Pyrokai said:
Best info we have is that the system will be unveiled at E3 and release sometime next year. Everything else including graphics and controls are pretty much speculation. There have been a lot of conflicting reports.

Ashodin

Pyrokai said:
The OP has all you need to know so far. It will be continuously updated.

Rockman-X

Neo Member
Fantastical said:
I don't understand motion controls on a controller that has a screen, especially a 6" screen. Swinging that thing around doesn't sound like the best of ideas.
Was there any confirmation that this controller won't be like the wiimote-nunchuck combo? If not, then the part that has the screen can stay on a fixed position, and the pointer/waggle attachment will be free for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom