• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer trailer [Arne Says 30 FPS, Also Answers Lots Of Questions]

daffy

Banned
SnuggleBandit said:
Ya they stated this a long while back actually, even before Uncharted 3 was announced. They will not be making major changes to the health system and bullet damage post release.
Awesome, that's news to me. Thanks for the info :)

alr1ghtstart said:
Have any of you guys played UC2? These level changing events are in there already, but not on a level of the plane seen in the trailers for UC3.

MalboroRed said:
It was already all real-time in Uncharted 2 competitive MP, you can get run over or killed by the tank ploughing its way through the village.

You guys are missing the point. It's one thing for a vehicle to move through a level, it a completely different thing for the ENTIRE level to change, or for all 10(?) players to have to be traversing through different parts of it because of an event that occurs.

In Twisted Metal 2, and Twisted Metal Black, the entire level changed in real time. Hell, there was even one where you start on a small boat that goes ashore, opens up to reveal a larger arena, THEN that one opens up to reveal a WHOLE TOWN in real time. THAT'S what I want to see from this "cinematic" experience. If all of those events occur during cutscenes only to then just drop players in a new "arena" without us actually experiencing the traversal, those cutscenes will begin to grate fairly quickly.

badcrumble said:
I don't just mean hazards native to the level, like the tank or the chopper, but events and processes that fundamentally alter the way the level is navigated.

One other cool detail I just noticed in that GIF - the truck that that one guy jumps onto immediately starts driving itself to a different position. I wonder if the trucks will be like a way to get one or two 'free' environment kills, but at the price of making the other team's approach much easier because the remaining trucks will maneuver themselves into a safer and closer position, or something like that.

On high rise after the chopper bombs the rooftop, each time the elevator drops a bit and it provides an alternative path on the level, that and the middle platform where the rpg is goes away.

Interstellar said:
efl1cp.gif

Villains can jump between the trucks, Heroes can move around the plane, plus everything is moving!
This floored me. I was like, what... in multiplayer... no way! It's pretty darn impressive. I'm going to love the crap out of Uncharted 3's multiplayer. :D

Strike

BruceLeeRoy said:
Wow. Don't know how I missed the trailer but along with Arne's comments Its getting hard to contain the excitement.

Man I love ND.
When the time comes, you know what you must do.

Duffyside

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
no, you just have bad reading comprehension or he worded it strangely. He's talking about MP only.

Resistance MP > R2 MP
KZ2 MP > KZ3 MP
SOCOM MP > SOCOM 4 MP

all look to be worse
This is either an indication that sequels make things worse... or that people complain about any change.

duffyside said:
This is either an indication that sequels make things worse... or that people complain about any change.

Or that devs mess with the recipe too much to try and bring more people in, or get the CoD/Halo fanbase and end up needing the next game in the franchise to say..."Oops, we done messed up. Sorry." If the game was simple fun, usually adding too much to the mix screws it up. If it was deep, dumbing it down screws it up. Most devs have trouble finding that balance in the second game (or second iteration of multiplayer)

Yoboman

Gold Member
MalboroRed said:
AI drives the trucks, you're the one jumping off one exploding truck to another.
What happens when all the trucks explode? Do you respawn on the trucks or do you just die? Is this a specific mode

Net_Wrecker said:
Or that devs mess with the recipe too much to try and bring more people in, or get the CoD/Halo fanbase and end up needing the next game in the franchise to say..."Oops, we done messed up. Sorry." If the game was simple fun, usually adding too much to the mix screws it up. If it was deep, dumbing it down screws it up. Most devs have trouble finding that balance in the second game (or second iteration of multiplayer)

That doesn't look like the case with U3, they're basically adding things on top of a formula that works very well, like adding the ability to kick off someone climbing next to you or allowing you to shoot while going down a zipline.

In Resistance's case, they basically made R2 into a fundamentally different game to appeal to a different crowd (namely the COD4 crowd), but the main problem was that they didn't give the game anywhere near enough time to polish everything from SP to MP to coop, their development cycle was ridiculously way too short.

It will always be a delicate balance when you have a product that works very well but if you don't add anything your MP experience will stagnate because people will almost always move on to the next big thing, including gaffers.

shagg_187 said:
Comparing SOCOM with SOCOM 4 is not fair. Compare it with Confontration is it's miles better. Of course, none can beat SOCOM 2.

In that case SOCOM 4 is probably an improvement over confrontation, not a huge improvement mind you, but still an improvement.

Interstellar said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/efl1cp.gif[IMG]

Villains can jump between the trucks, Heroes can move around the plane, plus everything is moving![/QUOTE]
I know but there's only 1 (maybe 3) openings on the almost empty plane.

I can't see a prolonged, engaging firefight taking place in that small area, which to me means this event is a short 1-2min opening to the "real" match that takes place at the airstrip -- and if we have to play through that every time we want to play the airstrip map... it will get old very fast for me.

Especially if there's any kind of loading between areas, like, cutscenes that can't be skipped.

[QUOTE=MalboroRed]On high rise after the chopper bombs the rooftop, [B]each time the elevator drops a bit[/B] and it provides an alternative path on the level, that and the middle platform where the rpg is goes away.[/QUOTE]
The elevator doesn't move at all. You can get to the roof from within the shaft at any time during the match.

Persona7

Banned
what is it with sony and putting terrible music in their game trailers

that little big planet 2 trailer song made me want to gouge my earballs out

Persona7 said:

I like both of those songs.

I aint picky.

Hazelhurst

Very cool trailer and music. Please give us more trailers like this leading up to launch. I love the music video game trailers. :)

...well that trailer and Arne's insight has spoiled my gaming appetite, playing some S4 online and all I can think about is UC3. S4 just looks and plays so boring in comparsion :|

Jarmel

Banned
I want them to fix how they handle the lag issue. Freezing in place sucks unbelievable amounts of ass and for some reason this game is the only game where I have serious lag.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Persona7 said:

You got bad taste :p I thought both those songs were fantastic. I guess it's called subjective taste!

Persona7 said:

LBP2 one is amazing... this one, not so much.

Mit-

Do I have to browse all 16 pages to find Arne's comments? Or will they be compiled into the first post?

:(

Looks amazing though. Such an enormous step up from UC2. I did just notice that they mentioned loadouts, though. Will it be loadouts + weapon pickups? Like, loadouts don't include power weapons, but you can find them on the map? Or are weapon pickups just gone? :(

patsu

duffyside said:

It's just personal preferences. I prefer RFOM MP over R2 MP, KZ3 MP over KZ2 MP, love MAG but don't play Socom for example.

Enosh

after looking at some gear 3 videos on YT I as kinda sad I wouldn't be able to play it since I don't own a 360

that video made me happy knowing the PS3 is getting a great third person MP shooter too ^^
quite liked the Uncharted 2 MP, but I sucked at it

Ashour

All this sounds amazing. But one thing I need ND to work on is the netcode, the netcode wasn't that good in UC2 and it was a source of frustration for me and my friends. Most of them stopped playing because of that.

They should consult Insomniacs or something.

zlatko

Banned
Watched the trailer a few times. I'm REALLY excited for this. I can't wait to play in the beta. I loved Uncharted 2's multiplayer and seeing that 3 is adding the stuff I want to creep into every multiplayer shooter(tons of customizations) is like a dream come true.

Day 0 Naughty Dog. :)

AtomHeart

Neo Member
That was a pretty intense trailer, I just hope they have enough sense to balance the multiplayer properly this time instead of adding absolutely ridiculous boosters that let you see enemies through walls.

Jarmel

Banned
AtomHeart said:
That was a pretty intense trailer, I just hope they have enough sense to balance the multiplayer properly this time instead of adding absolutely ridiculous boosters that let you see enemies through walls.

Some of those Power Plays seem infinitely worse. The Cursed Vision one is beyond annoying. I would be yelling at my screen at that one. So ridiculous.

zlatko

Banned
AtomHeart said:

There was so much useless stuff too, which is why of course people opted to only use the few good ones that there were.

I also hope to see Naughty Dog make a play list that is no boosters and maybe no weapon picks ups, so it's just a TDM of gun on gun. :)

-viper-

Banned
Nirolak said:
Yeah, unfortunately that's not that uncommon for console games in multiplayer, but it should be better by release.

For comparison with similar games:

Gears 3 Multiplayer Beta frame buffer grabs: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27167584&postcount=2507

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer frame buffer grabs: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18180017&postcount=148
Lol, those are the worst Uncharted 2 'frame buffer grabs' I have seen in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W3wYI-lLdk&feature=related

BeeDog

-viper- said:
Lol, those are the worst Uncharted 2 'frame buffer grabs' I have seen in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W3wYI-lLdk&feature=related

They are poor because they use the ingame photo mode and then exported. I vaguely recall that someone (Forsete?) used a proper capture card to cap pics from the game, and they looked muuuuch better.

Either way, I don't doubt Naughty Dog, and I'm sure they'll make an amazing-looking game.

BeeDog said:
They are poor because they use the ingame photo mode and then exported. I vaguely recall that someone (Forsete?) used a proper capture card to cap pics from the game, and they looked muuuuch better.

Either way, I don't doubt Naughty Dog, and I'm sure they'll make an amazing-looking game.

Speaking of photomodes, I still hope that they include a photomode for the single player.

Facism

I guess some of the MP designers have been playing Assault in UT/Ut2003/2004 ;p

I hope you've got a decent amount of maps this time :( Project "8 maps so you only care about our game till the next big game" is a crappy trend this gen.

JudgeN

Interstellar said:
efl1cp.gif

Villains can jump between the trucks, Heroes can move around the plane, plus everything is moving!

I shit my pants during the jeep jumping sequences in UC2, I will shit my pants again it seems while playing UC3. ND you owe me 2 pairs of pants.

Looks great. I wasn't crazy about U2 MP though had some fun with it, look forward to what they do with this. The SP is obviously the main draw to this great series.

I've been out of the Uncharted multiplayer scene for a while, have ND instituted a booster-less playlist? If not, I'd like for that to ship with Uncharted 3, just to remove any potential aggravation. No need for these game ruining boosters mucking up the fun for everyone else.

magicaltrevor said:
This... is awesome.
1. Where did you see that?
2. No it is not awesome. Why would anyone use anything else other than that? It'll be real awesome going up against an entire team using it that travels in a group...

That is assuming it's an actual booster.

Kinan

And the compressed version in one post for OP:

On kickbacks:

…Not killstreaks. Not even close. Kickbacks are tied to your medal gain and you only get to pick ONE for the entire match.

…The Kotaku line is a bit inaccurate - you get them from your overall medal gain.

…unless something has changed recently - no, it's solely based on medal accumulation. the better kickbacks require a lot more medals and you're basically wagering that you can get that many medals to get the opportunity to activate the kickback not only during the match, but during a part of the match where it would actually be useful to you.
but that's an intriguing concept. i can't imagine we haven't discussed that, but i'll mention it regardless.

…well, there's a big difference from the killstreak-type bonuses - is that the bigger the streak, the bigger the bonus. here you pick ONE bonus you can have for the match, and you have to decide how many medals vs. how much of a bonus you're shooting for. sure you can activate it multiple times a match, but unless you're going for some of the really low-level kickbacks, you're not going to be able to hit it more than a couple of times a match at best.

On Power Play:

…If you're a good team, there's nothing in a Power Play that will let the losing team overcome their deficit. This makes the game closer in the case of a blow out, but unless the losing team is excellent and is just on a bad run, it will be very very difficult for them to take the lead just like that.

…Power Plays are LIMITED in time. They're only active for a short period of time, not permanently for the rest of the match. So, for example, the Elimination-type sequence will only be active for 60 seconds. Then it's back to normal DM rules.

…maybe you (on a losing team) can get a leg up and be within striking distance, but there's no way you can get a lucky win because of Power Plays - you have to still have to be a skilled player/team to claw your way back and win, as it always is and should be.

… as far as Power Plays, it's built so that both teams can benefit from a Power Play - the losing team by kills, the winning team by cash or other non-score/non-kills gains. the Power Plays are also specifically designed so that the winning team is aware of the Power Play and what kind of Power Play, so they can employ strategies to effectively defend against whatever advantage the losing team has been temporarily given. a great, skilled team should be able to ride out the Power Play period.

On “bullshots”:

…HARDLY.

Not only are they straight from framebuffer screenshots - there's some "free" AA going on ;) -- but really the only adjustments were contrast/gamma/color correction.
At worst, we don't render at anything higher than 2x, and that's almost always because we anticipate they will be used for print.

…Yes, I realize you're going to nitpick the fuck out of this comparison, but really, are these two shots THAT significant? The most I've got is that of course, you're getting AA but it's not like unpossible vs. possible, eh?
http://www.naughtydog.com/images/1x-2x.jpg

…I grew up on bullshot meaning some photoshop/CG trickery was going on that was wholly not representative of the final game to the point where they wouldn't even match up. There's some pretty well documented cases of this - and I'm sure games with PC components do this a ton because they can run the game it with all specs on beyond the processing and memory limits of consoles.
I (secretly, not anymore) take pride that we don't have to doctor our shots up with photoshop or texture/rending engine tweaking to make them look good. I don't think too many people can say the same. I could be wrong, but it seems that way in my limited game play.
But now I'll stop before this turns into a screenshot semantics thread.

On beta:

arne, will people in PAL regions get the beta too?

…YES. Global beta.

On fps:

I just want to clarify, is this confirmed to be 60fps in multiplayer?

…NO. somebody came up with that from I don't know where.
We're a 30 FPS game.

On SA and new “SA-like” abilities:

…Maybe you should wait for the beta/final feature set and actually play it before passing a blanket, knee-jerk judgement? Maybe it'll be hate-worthy, maybe not. However, they are definitely significantly limited compared to SA.

…well, it's more common sense. we've played these modes a ton with a bunch of boosters and nobody here seems to be abusing any of the boosters that much. and when they do, we tweak. we're still a whiles away before we tie a bow on the beta file, and even further away from GMing our final game. I can guarantee we'll be reviewing gameplay data and feedback internally and externally over that time.
It's just... a bit early.

…At the end of the day, you run into, do you want lots of people playing or do you want only the hardcore skill players playing.
I prefer lots of people playing and not just because we want to be successful. More people means more interesting games, broad variety of skill and tactics, running into lots of new people all the time. To get tons of people playing, you need to find ways to keep things accessible so that the game remains fun. While I'm sure you'll say but but DTI, but but SA (and you do have a point), it's all about minimizing the frustrating moments.
I say it's the difference between, say, NASCAR, where everybody has the exact same specs to compete with and F1, where everybody has similar but not exact specs AND has options to try things a little differently to get the winning edge. although nobody gets Adrian Newey in Uncharted 3...

…it's about finding that toughest of toughest points of balance of making as many people happy as possible - you can't please everybody, but let's do the best job of trying to achieve that.

…I know what's listed in that (partial, incomplete, early, TBD, etc.) booster list, and the general dislike for wallhack-like features, but situational awareness as you've come to know it in Uncharted 2 is unequivocally gone.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
1. Where did you see that?
2. No it is not awesome. Why would anyone use anything else other than that? It'll be real awesome going up against an entire team using it that travels in a group...

That is assuming it's an actual booster.
How is this not the same as Gears? As long as they let you finish the kill before anyone can revive the individual, I see nothing wrong with that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
French said:
I hope 3D isn't holding them back because I thought that KZ3's IQ was less "clean" than KZ2's one.
If by "clean" you mean "blurry", then yes, it was :p KZ2 used QAA, KZ3 uses MLAA, which gives unquestionably better image quality. Either way, it has nothing to do with 3D support. UC3 seems to be using MLAA as well, which was also used in GoW3 and LBP2 for example.

That trailer music is... horrendous. Really bad. That is like, the worst song I have ever heard.

Why would anyone choose that? You guys have like... amazing music/soundtrack people.

Kinan

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
That trailer music is... horrendous. Really bad. That is like, the worst song I have ever heard.

Why would anyone choose that? You guys have like... amazing music/soundtrack people.

Yea, it was really suprisingly not fitting. Well, on a plus side, it can only get better now, right?

Top Bottom