• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
TheExecutive said:
Yeah, the intruders did something really fucking stupid. Once you are past all of the security and you want to do harm you can completely hose a datacenter in a matter of seconds. PSN could possibly be down for weeks, once again depending on what was done.

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. I just asked if some bored dumb kids are all it takes to break in Sony security. This was (is) a much bigger thing, I highly doubt that Sony security is so easy to defeat.

If anything you would think that hackers would hack companies like Capcom, Activision, or other devs for locking DLC on discs we already paid for. Those are the real crooks.

H_Prestige said:
So you're basically agreeing with me but you just took offense that I called those responsible "dumb kids"? Wow.

I took your post as a statement of your belief that dumb kids are responsible for bringing down the PSN. I think that is unlikely, so how am I agreeing with you?

Do you no longer believe dumb kids are responsible? Then please say that instead of responding "Oh really, then who are?" when I say I think it's unlikely dumb kids are responsible.

Or if you wrote "dumb kids" just to degrade those responsible, please say that instead of responding "Oh really, then who are" when I say I think it's unlikely dumb kids are responsible.

To summarize, you're not making much sense.

Mael

https://twitter.com/#!/Digital_Foundry/statuses/61813387423789056 said:
@cc_star The developer network stuff is all true apparently. Get "free" money from the dev network and spend it on the retail network.

This is certainly moronic if that's the reason to cut off psn globally.
The content download servers are up (or so I'm lead to believe),
it's quite clear that it's more serious than that rumour or they designed their architecture with their feet while high.
I can't actually believe that something only affecting the shop part of the service would bring down everything from multi player to even connections to other players....
all that and somehow ps3 all over the world can access data servers for patch purposes?
Sounds highly inefficient to not just cut the content from psn and investigate.

kamorra said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. I just asked if some bored dumb kids are all it takes to break in Sony security. This was (is) a much bigger thing, I highly doubt that Sony security is so easy to defeat.

Defending on your definition of 'kid', a bunch of 'dumb kids' also managed to completely crack PS3 security not very long ago, remember?

miladesn said:
Digital Foundry Twitter
https://twitter.com/#!/Digital_Foundry/statuses/61813387423789056
The developer network stuff is all true apparently. Get "free" money from the dev network and spend it on the retail network.
This is pretty insane. If this is true, I wonder how much money has Sony lost because of some douchebags getting on the Dev Network.

androvsky

Atruvius said:
Uh... what does that mean?
As I recall, they way Sony's devnet worked is you just hit a button to give yourself fake money in order to buy games, instead off just having them free (for reporters and other devs). Apparently, this is the horrific kludge it sounds like and the fake money might have been compatible with retail servers. Looks like they tried to take things one step further and hand out the fake money to everyone on psn.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Pureauthor said:
Defending on your definition of 'kid', a bunch of 'dumb kids' also managed to completely crack PS3 security not very long ago, remember?

Yeah, I remember these bearded kids from failoverflow!

To quote another poster...

I hope this down time gives gamers a chance to see how those of us who enjoy the single player experience have been getting shafted the last couple years. Online is fun but it shouldn't replace the core game. Consider yourselves humbled developers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
androvsky said:
As I recall, they way Sony's devnet worked is you just hit a button to give yourself fake money in order to buy games, instead off just having them free (for reporters and other devs). Apparently, this is the horrific kludge it sounds like and the fake money might have been compatible with retail servers. Looks like they tried to take things one step further and hand out the fake money to everyone on psn.
Is that why there was that weird message as PSN was flaking out about "We had trouble adding funds to your wallet" or something?

StuBurns

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:
To quote another poster...

I hope this down time gives gamers a chance to see how those of us who enjoy the single player experience have been getting shafted the last couple years. Online is fun but it shouldn't replace the core game. Consider yourselves humbled developers.
This doesn't just hurt online gaming, it stops some single player gaming, it stops Portal 2 owners linking to Steam to get the PC/Mac version, it stops us all communicating with our friends list, it stops us buying new single player content that is only on the store, it stops us trying demos, etc. It's bullshit, and "just play the single player" is not an acceptable retort.

Lain

Haunted said:
I don't know who's stupider, the posts actually stating that Sony is using a hacking attack as a cover-up, or those blaming all hackers in general (some even conflating this with Geohotz wat) >_>

It's a terrible thing to happen, it's shitty for consumers, it's shitty for Sony and the people responsible are useless fucks. Here's hoping Sony can fix this mess ASAP, maybe make up for the downtime with some special offers afterwards or something. Because no matter the reason, maintaining the uptime of the service is their responsiblity.
I like this post, sensible and close to how I see things as well.
I'm just glad that I don't use PSN much, that I got some DLC the day before everything went tits up and that I don't play multiplayer games on the PS3, or I'd be greatly annoyed right now.

Giriath_89 said:
I took your post as a statement of your belief that dumb kids are responsible for bringing down the PSN. I think that is unlikely, so how am I agreeing with you?

Do you no longer believe dumb kids are responsible? Then please say that instead of responding "Oh really, then who are?" when I say I think it's unlikely dumb kids are responsible.

Or if you wrote "dumb kids" just to degrade those responsible, please say that instead of responding "Oh really, then who are" when I say I think it's unlikely dumb kids are responsible.

To summarize, you're not making much sense.

Dumb kids are responsible for this mess. Yes, I am degrading them. I don't care about their hacker skills or whatever.

kamorra said:
Yeah, I remember these bearded kids from failoverflow!

*shrug* I've no reason to believe that the actual competent hackers on 4chan differ substantially in terms of demographic from those guys in failoverflow. They're the ones who do any sort of work more damaging than DDoS nonsense.

Chaplain

StuBurns said:
"just play the single player" is not an acceptable retort.

This is what my wife and I have been doing. We have been playing Portal 2 coop split screen (which is amazing), then I play some single player Portal 2 mixed in with some Socom 4 single player. Not bad if you have games to play during the outage.

Mael said:
it's quite clear that it's more serious than that rumour or they designed their architecture with their feet while high.
I can't actually believe that something only affecting the shop part of the service would bring down everything from multi player to even connections to other players....
all that and somehow ps3 all over the world can access data servers for patch purposes?

Its all part of the architecture of the PSN, you cannot close the dev network and leave the multiplayer online ON, you cannot do that, and if it is true you all have to blame the hackers who develop the CFW because it seems that someone found a security hole where you can download paid content FREE from the PSN, and that is a good reason to shut down the PSN network because this affect Consumers and Developers at equal.

And that just part of the problem, it seems that the same people who found the security breach to download paid content Free have found personal data of users from the PSN and began retrieving it, don´t know if the personal data includes CC numbers or not, but SONY took down the PSN just in case.

obonicus

TheExecutive said:
Yeah, the intruders did something really fucking stupid. Once you are past all of the security and you want to do harm you can completely hose a datacenter in a matter of seconds. PSN could possibly be down for weeks, once again depending on what was done.

Getting 'past all the security' isn't so simple, if the network is properly set up. The security doesn't end once you're inside one of their servers, you have to continue finding vulnerabilities that are hopefully running completely different sets of software.

Now, with the way Sony botched the RNG on the PS3 I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the network isn't in fact properly set up.

Sblargh

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Nah, never happens but if caught they will spend years in a federal penitentiary.

You seem to be the one here who knows more about this stuff. I hope you're not bullshitting us because you just became my official version of the facts. Have you been through something similar?

Mael

androvsky said:

o_O....waht?
who would design something like that?
That it even exists in this form after the initial dev is..........stupid beyond belief.
People should get fired for this kind of sloppy job, I know I would fire people for that.

Haunted said:
I don't know who's stupider, the posts actually stating that Sony is using a hacking attack as a cover-up, or those blaming all hackers in general (some even conflating this with Geohotz wat) >_>

It's a terrible thing to happen, it's shitty for consumers, it's shitty for Sony and the people responsible are useless fucks. Here's hoping Sony can fix this mess ASAP, maybe make up for the downtime with some special offers afterwards or something. Because no matter the reason, maintaining the uptime of the service is their responsiblity.

Hey look some sense in this thread!

Chaplain

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Its all part of the architecture of the PSN, you cannot close the dev network and leave the multiplayer online ON, you cannot do that, and if it is true you all have to blame the hackers who develop the CFW because it seems that someone found a security hole where you can download paid content FREE from the PSN, and that is a good reason to shut down the PSN network because this affect Consumers and Developers at equal.

And that just part of the problem, it seems that the same people who found the security breach to download paid content Free have found personal data of users from the PSN and began retrieving it, don´t know if the personal data includes CC numbers or not, but SONY took down the PSN just in case.

How do you know all of this?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Pureauthor said:
*shrug* I've no reason to believe that the actual competent hackers on 4chan differ substantially in terms of demographic from those guys in failoverflow. They're the ones who do any sort of work more damaging than DDoS nonsense.

You know what? It's just semantics. I just thought that implying that it only takes some dumb kids to bring the whole PSN down doesn't look good for Sony
online gaming
future. I just don't believe it, these guys at Sony do some stupid things sometimes but they are very capable of defending their system against kids.

obonicus

Mael said:

Yeah, given how it's happened I'd guess it has to do with their authentication servers, and hopefully those aren't the same ones that process financial transactions.

Where did you hear this?

Sblargh

Banned
You know, since they are messing with the financial side of things, they could increase the size of the wallet, you know, since everything is already down and stuff.

androvsky

dallow_bg said:
Is that why there was that weird message as PSN was flaking out about "We had trouble adding funds to your wallet" or something?
That's my wild guess based on those error messages and reading in cfw threads that some cfw people were connecting to dev servers, not sure if it was for the free games or online though.

Negator

I can't believe PSN is still down. Whatever happened had to have been colosally bad because this is starting to get ridiculous.

Isn't it obvious why Anon is denying it this time around? First time they did it in geohot's name. They can't do that this time due to the settlement - it just may violate the terms of the settlement or perhaps even incriminate him.

obonicus

Its all part of the architecture of the PSN, you cannot close the dev network and leave the multiplayer online ON

Except haven't people confirmed that the dev network still works?

Game Analyst said:
How do you know all of this?

I have a contact with SONY who is trying to keep me updated, but he is not part of the PSN, he works for the administrative section for SCEA, he only tells me what he has been told through Memos and reports, and doesn´t tell me much only a little bit.

Mael

From a conceptual level, it's certainly possible. Now maybe they didn't do it in a way that would allow it.
Even then though if the problem was only getting free content from the shop, they can disable the shop and leave the rest open somehow.

That is actually way more serious, I'm not sure psn keep the CC data or not but I'm pretty sure mails and other info put into psn are kept there.
That's reason enough to remove the system from the network.

V_Arnold said:
PSN is a free service, so what is your problem?

Speaking for myself, MLB.TV on the PS3 is tied into PSN. If I can't access PSN I can't access MLB.TV. Netflix does not have this problem. My preference is watching baseball on my 37" HDTV, not within a small pop-up window in a web browser on my laptop. I paid $119 so I could enjoy the former, but as long as PSN is down I can't.

Atruvius

androvsky said:
Whoa. That's crazy. Why would they do that?

I sure hope Sony catches those hackers and they get thrown to jail. I just want to play Mortal Kombat online.

My buddy has had a PS3 for 6 months after being an Xbox-only gamer. This is the 1st game (Portal 2)I wanted to play online with him and PSN goes down.

At the same time I'm cool with some punk kids fucking with a giant, multi-national company. Corporations need to be taken down a peg.

Shin Dynamo X said:
If anything you would think that hackers would hack companies like Capcom, Activision, or other devs for locking DLC on discs we already paid for. Those are the real crooks.

If people are stupid enough to throw money down the drain, then more power to those companies to please shareholders.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Negator said:
I can't believe PSN is still down. Whatever happened had to have been colosally bad because this is starting to get ridiculous.

I'm actually starting to worry about my account/profile now, can you imagine if everyone had to sign up for PSN again, I know I know, extreme scenario but still, for PSN to be down this long things must be pretty bad, I kinda feel sorry for Sony tbh, they just can't seem to catch a break this gen.

obonicus

Mael said:
That's reason enough to remove the system from the network.

Any detected intrusion is reason enough to shut down the system, because you generally don't know how bad it is or how it happened and you do have to protect your data.

StuBurns

Banned
Game Analyst said:
This is what my wife and I have been doing. We have been playing Portal 2 coop split screen (which is amazing), then I play some single player Portal 2 mixed in with some Socom 4 single player. Not bad if you have games to play during the outage.
I don't doubt the split screen is awesome, I can't wait to dig into the co-op myself (not playing split screen myself), but online gaming is the last thing I use PSN for, and it's those other functions that right now I'm missing. If I had PSN now I wouldn't be online gaming.

I think the frustration for me is the vagueness of the updates. If Sony said "yep, some cunt broke in the place and fucked it up, we're fixing the issue, hunting him down and putting it back up, it will take four days exactly" I'd be perfectly happy, but if someone says "a day or two" they have no idea how long it's going to take. You either know what the issue is and the man hours it takes to fix it, or you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom