• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Portal 2 will probably be our last game w/ an isolated singleplayer experience

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Geoff Keighley made a clarification about one of the far reaching statements in his making of Portal 2 app "The Final Hours Of Portal 2" on the app's website today.

Geoff's App Website said:
Dan asks, “At the very end of the article you write that ‘Portal 2 will probably be Valve’s last game with an isolated single-player experience.’…Was this based on reading general industry trends, or something specific you heard from Valve?”

Geoff Keighley: Good eye! This is coming from Valve, although I don’t have a lot more to share other than what is in the story. I agree it’s a provocative statement, especially given the amazing single player storyline in Portal 2. Keep in mind Valve said “probably,” so I get the feeling that this could change.
Source: http://thefinalhoursofportal2.com/blog/finalhours/welcometotheblog/

Exuro

I don't know if I like the idea of a co-op Half Life game. I loved Portal 2 and can only imagine what they could do with the half life universe but I'm not sure how they could bring that same experience into a non-isolated setting.

Exuro said:
I don't know if I like the idea of a co-op Half Life game. I loved Portal 2 and can only imagine what they could do with the half life universe but I'm not sure how they could bring that same experience into a non-isolated setting.
Gordon and his mute Vortigaunt buddy have to same the world from the Combine

That wouldn't feel forced at all
I don't know if Gordon is the type of character who could be set in a co-op game easily

Tain

I don't really give two shits about how well any coop character would be integrated into HL3/Ep3's narrative. I just don't want to play co-op. Absolutely not what I want out of Half-Life.

Blizzard

Banned
I liked the
isolated setting of the old Aperture buildings in the depths of the mines
in Portal 2. It really reminded me of
exploration in a game like Half-life 2 or something

I wasn't such a fan of L4D2 co-op, wasn't a huge Alien Swarm fan, probably wasn't a huge fan of L4D1 co-op, and liked the Portal and Portal 2 singleplayer campaigns.

If a future Half-life game truly has no singleplayer component, I guess that's good news for Valve fighting piracy, but it makes me kind of sad. :(

Grakl

I enjoyed the Half Life series for being a single player game that immersed you incredibly easily into it's own world - co op almost always takes away that immersion for me. Ugh, why.

Then again, the why could be solved, most likely, without any problem. It's Valve. Love all of their games, and the HL series especially. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Your hotlink isn't loading Grakl.

Yeah thanks for the heads up. The pic wasn't really needed anyways.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
balladofwindfishes said:
Gordon and his mute Vortigaunt buddy have to same the world from the Combine

That wouldn't feel forced at all
I don't know if Gordon is the type of character who could be set in a co-op game easily
Well, a fair amount of Episode 2 was co-op with AI.

Edit:

Your hotlink isn't loading Grakl.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You play as Gordon. Gordon is a camera on a stick.
If there's Ep 3 co-op, logically player 2 would be Alyx, who is an established character, talks, and who doesn't fit with Valve's philosophy for playable characters.
So what's going on with the next Half-Life?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
A dangling modifier joke, you should work at Valve.

This is the most romantic thing anyone has ever said to me.

Celsior said:
Valve getting bought by EA?

I don't think EA could afford Valve at this point.

pakkit

Banned
Nirolak said:
And Episode 1...and Half Life 2...

If they can characterize co-op players as well as they characterize NPCs, I'm not too worried.

I'd buy HL(ep)3 if it was co-op all the way through. If it's single player only I'll probably skip it; never been able to enjoy a HL game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nirolak said:
Yeah, but could you imagine being Alyx, and looking at Gordon, cracking jokes while he stares at you stoically, never displaying any emotion as you scream and cry for his help.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I want to have a horror coop game! Make this happen Valve. Join the absurdity the Dark Side!!!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Tain said:
I don't really give two shits about how well any coop character would be integrated into HL3/Ep3's narrative. I just don't want to play co-op. Absolutely not what I want out of Half-Life.

The same is my opinion.

Saty

Not so sure what they mean by 'isolated sp' or the motiviation behind that kind of a move. Why not just have a MP\co-op mode and not drag it to the SP portion?

sflufan

Banned
I put this right up there with Gabe's statements that "episodic gaming means that we can put out another chapter in the Half-Life saga every six months."

Yeah -- how did that work out for ya?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Saty said:
Not so sure what they mean by 'isolated sp' or the motiviation behind that kind of a move. Why not just have a MP\co-op mode and not drag it to the SP portion?
Presumably because they want to make more co-op/MP content in the same amount of time.

sflufan said:
I put this right up there with Gabe's statements that "episodic gaming means that we can put out another chapter in the Half-Life saga every six months."

Yeah -- how did that work out for ya?
One of these is a development resource issue and the other is a development direction issue.

Keeping your development direction on track is really simple and they have definitely been heading that way with Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, and now DotA 2.

FStop7

Banned
I don't get it. One of Valve's trademarks is rich storytelling. But their co-op and multiplayer efforts are thin on story. Seems like a lose-lose for their talented writers.

Sethos

Banned
Dachande said:
No. No. No, no. Episode 3/HL3 can't be co-op, it will never work.

Don't do this to me, Valve.

This ...

I love co-op as the next person but never, ever make it the core experience.

Top Bottom