• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hitmonchan107 said:
"Pick 'em up, set 'em down."

"High speed, low drag."

Wait, that's not right...

A million kudos if you can guess what game that's actually from.

I'm hopping back on Halo 3.
C&C Red Alert 2 or Tiberium Sun lol. Gimme a few more minutes for my brain to work out which...

[Tiberium Sun, final answer!]

Edit: Fuuuuck, it's eating my brains out trying to think of it. I want to say it's one of the troop transport units too.

Edit2: Almost certain it is TS. GDI transport unit of some kind.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
lol, I don't know much about twitter, but his little stream there is full on awesomeness. "Hey, I'm Larry Hyrb (sp?), aka Major Nelson on XBL", "Hey I'm Ghostayame on XBL", "Hey I'm Treit and True on XBL", hahahaha. Dude is just roleplaying a different videogame personality every day, look at the elite company you're in Therms.

Well, when you put it that way.....perhaps this is a sign I am truly in with the elite of the elite now! May be just the right time for me to grow the bieber hair!

urk said:
Wow, lame. He already has like 150 more followers than you do, too!

Cold blooded, Urk. COLD. BLOODED. :p

MrBig said:
Why? I sell every game I get bored with except for Halo games, but I sold Halo Wars after about a month. It was developed by a studio consumed and torn apart by Microsoft, they didn't put their hearts into the game.

Woah, I thought it was a good game, as an RTS its extremely simplistic so I can see why that would put you off, but its worth going through the campaign, I felt it was a nice Halo experiance which was a bit out of the norm.

The multiplayer can also be fantastic if you hold off against an initial rush and destroy your opponent with a massive army :p

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Why? I sell every game I get bored with except for Halo games, but I sold Halo Wars after about a month. It was developed by a studio consumed and torn apart by Microsoft, they didn't put their hearts into the game.
What in gods name are you talking about?

Kuroyume

Banned
Wow, Bro Slayer is freaking terrible. Spawned out in the middle of Hemmorhage like 5 times in a game. Played ANOTHER GAME after that (for fuck's sake) on Boneyard and wow the spawning on that map is just unbelievably bad. People were spawning behind me all the time inside the middle structure. It wasn't like they had a buddy there just hiding so they could pop out. They would just spawn right behind me because the game put them there.

Kuroyume said:
Wow, Bro Slayer is freaking terrible. Spawned out in the middle of Hemmorhage like 5 times in a game. Played ANOTHER GAME after that (for fuck's sake) on Boneyard and wow the spawning on that map is just unbelievably bad. People were spawning behind me all the time inside the middle structure. It wasn't like they had a buddy there just hiding so they could pop out. They would just spawn right behind me because the game put them there.
In bro slayer you can spawn off any other player or the maps default spawns... Pretty sure Boneyard or Hemmorhage don't have spawns that far into the map.

Ken

Insaniac said:
is the weekly for matchmaking only? Or can you do it custom/private game?

It works in customs for sure, but you have to set it to 5 sets instead of 4 or else it won't count.

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
Probably going to start up some Halo 2 customs here on XBC in a few minutes, anyone still up for them?
I was on there this morning. But couldn't find many players, and I wasn't sure if my stuff was working correctly if I hosted. We should try tomorrow or Friday.

Ramirez

Kibbles said:
Totally agree with lyberty boy on Halo 1 favorite Campaign and Halo 2 favorite MP.

343i knows which direction to take the next game, I have faith!

Also, these thunderstorms & tornadoes need to gtfo already.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hydranockz said:
It was a good show. Props to Duncan for wiping the floor during their quick game :p

I'm totally wrecking him in the post-show matches. Just had to made it look good for the show.

Tunavi

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Bro Slayer is being removed from BTB with the May update

MrBig

Kuroyume said:
You just described Gears 3's spawning :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Old?

Halo Encyclopedia September 19, 2011

Halo is one of the most popular and hugely successful video game franchises in history! With this newly updated and comprehensive Halo Encyclopedia, now with sixteen pages of brand new content including Halo's newest game, Halo: Reach, both new and pro gamers can learn everything they ever wanted to know about Master Chief and the Halo universe. Discover the origins of the Spartan program, the Halos' place in the universe, as well as expanded universe material from novels and comic books featuring detailed information about the characters, vehicles, locations, and weapons that make up the Halo Universe. Technical renderings and hundreds of stunning images highlight the many pieces that make this universe such a vast and complex background for such wonderful stories. Everything that is Halo is now at your fingertips! 208 P
ages.

Halo: The Essential Visual Guide July 18, 2011

Explore the locations, characters, creatures, vehicles, and weapons of the bestselling video game Halo(r)in this all-encompassing essential guide. Halo: The Essential Visual Guide delves even deeper into the phenomenon that is Halo. Covering material from Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Wars, and the latest game, Halo: ODST, the book provides amazing images and insightful information making you feel as if you yourself are part of the game!

Each page in this handy guide is dedicated to one element, focusing on its role and significance in the Halo universe from Master Chief, the Arbiter, the Halo Array, the UNSC Pillar of Autumn, and the Spartan Laser. It also features over 600 specially commissioned artworks by Microsoft artists. A must have for any Halo fan.

GhaleonEB

So the past few days my Firefight connections have been quite poor. And I just checked the in-game Network Status via the Start menu, and it has a big warning on my upstream bandwidth, saying it's suboptimal and such.

I did a speed test, and I'm running at 20 down and 3.6 up, after a few tests. I have no idea if that's good (enough) or what I should do. Any advice?

Totally different subject: Please turn on betrayal booting in Firefight, I'm sick of high ranking asshats spattering me so they can get vehicle kills or otherwise just screw around. David, Urk, someone, please turn it on. Jeremiah said in Optimatch that the options Bungie has to configure Firefight are the same we have. I'm sure the interface and matchmaking integration are very different, but this should be a no-brainer setting. It's enabling griefing like nothing else right now.

NOKYARD

ncsuDuncan said:
What, the Running Riot map? Seemed fine. Nothing broken except for us audience members making too much noise... :p
Yeah. He has the mixing equipment. I don't see why he doesn't split the guest's mic from the game sound and lower the background noise. I do it quite easily using only Soundflower and a few cables.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
GhaleonEB said:
So the past few days my Firefight connections have been quite poor. And I just checked the in-game Network Status via the Start menu, and it has a big warning on my upstream bandwidth, saying it's suboptimal and such.

I did a speed test, and I'm running at 20 down and 3.6 up, after a few tests. I have no idea if that's good (enough) or what I should do. Any advice?

I get about 30meg up and I get that Warning sign. 3.6 should be enough to host any Halo match. I wouldn't worry.

GhaleonEB said:

Totally different subject: Please turn on betrayal booting in Firefight, I'm sick of high ranking asshats spattering me so they can get vehicle kills or otherwise just screw around. David, Urk, someone, please turn it on. Jeremiah said in Optimatch that the options Bungie has to configure Firefight are the same we have. I'm sure the interface and matchmaking integration are very different, but this should be a no-brainer setting. It's enabling griefing like nothing else right now.

By connection fluctuates from 15 MBPS upload to 50 (because its shared, still pretty good for upload either way) and I get Firefight connections all over the board. Some are pretty smooth, others are literally a picture book.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:

Your connection is fine (certainly better than mine, given those numbers), I've had the warning pop up several times over the last couple of months for no reason. With Firefight, unfortunately, the latency is dependent on the weakest link in the group. If somebody has a shitty connection then everybody gets that lag because their box has to wait on his inputs. Hooray for synchronous lockstep models :/ The off-host input lag in all the campaign and firefight stuff since Halo 3 has been one of the biggest bummers for me (it's better in Reach, at least).

Havok said:
Your connection is fine (certainly better than mine, given those numbers), I've had the warning pop up several times over the last couple of months for no reason. With Firefight, unfortunately, the latency is dependent on the weakest link in the group. If somebody has a shitty connection then everybody gets that lag because their box has to wait on his inputs. Hooray for synchronous lockstep models :/ The off-host input lag in all the campaign and firefight stuff since Halo 3 has been one of the biggest bummers for me (it's better in Reach, at least).

Is it really that much better?

I was very pleased with the HUGE networking improvements on the multiplayer side for Reach, but I don't really feel like it got that much better for Campaign/Firefight.

GhaleonEB

Thanks guys. I'll continue to use the good connection criteria and hope for the best It's usually pretty good but I got a bad streak the past few days.
Steelyuhas said:
Yes. The number of low lag games in ODST I could count on one hand. With Reach, poor connections are (usually) the exception for me.

Recarpo

GhaleonEB said:

Would you even get the option to boot though? I didn't think it actually counted as a betrayal. At least there's no indication I've seen that it counts as a betrayal in game.

I got four questions in on The Running Riot Podcast:

Could you describe the difference in atmosphere between games journalism and something like 343?
When can we expect the next 343 Sparkast?
What's your favorite part about working at 343? (lol)
You guys talked about celebrating at PAX, was that a decision from 343 or was that something Microsoft decided?

I also liked my deep "Let's do this!" before the quick match.

GhaleonEB

Recarpo said:
Would you even get the option to boot though? I didn't think it actually counted as a betrayal. At least there's no indication I've seen that it counts as a betrayal in game.
Short film, rendered.

Yes, it counts as a betrayal. As with Multiplayer, it often won't register if you're taking damage from the enemy and a team mate finishes you off. But the straight up splatters I'm talking about count as betrayals, and are recorded as a penalty in the post-game stats; they would trigger the boot player prompt if betrayal booting was enabled.
MrBig said:
Well that could be accounted toward it being custom games and not matchmaking. In ODST all you could do was bring in friends and they could be in any part of the world. Reach's FF matchmaking looks for people in your region and tries to filter for best connection.
This is true. But I've also had mostly good connections in custom games (or games with parties) as well, and which was as I said almost never the case in ODST.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Yes. The number of low lag games in ODST I could count on one hand. With Reach, poor connections are (usually) the exception for me.
Well that could be accounted toward it being custom games and not matchmaking. In ODST all you could do was bring in friends and they could be in any part of the world. Reach's FF matchmaking looks for people in your region and tries to filter for best connection. The way that the networking system in the campaign networking model makes distance a huge factor, and distance exponentially increases delay.

Recarpo

GhaleonEB said:
Yes, it counts as a betrayal. As with Multiplayer, it often won't register if you're taking damage from the enemy and a team mate finishes you off. But the straight up splatters I'm talking about count as betrayals, and are recorded as a penalty in the post-game stats; they would trigger the boot player prompt if betrayal booting was enabled.

Didn't know that. I guess the only time I've been run over is after I've been hurt. Terrible decision not to have that flipped on for firefight.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:

I was very pleased with the HUGE networking improvements on the multiplayer side for Reach, but I don't really feel like it got that much better for Campaign/Firefight.
I've noticed a really large improvement. It's still not great, but it's better. Firefight in ODST and Campaign in Halo 3 were a total mess for the people off-host, with inputs taking practically a full half second to register at times, while I've done every single LASO run with a friend online, which flat out wouldn't have been possible before. However, I hope they either find a way to make it perfect, or move to a different model (Gears never had this issue as far as I remember, for example. On a related note, and this is pure speculation on my part, I think that the synchronous model might be one of the major barriers to doing jump-in jump-out coop in Halo.).

Top Bottom