• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zane

Dedication Through Light said:
Seems like an elaborate joke...

Maybe! I certainly hope so! But I'm not at all knowledgeable on these sorts of things so I thought I'd post it here for you guys to figure out. Sorry if I scared anyone...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone please tell me how do you sell the credit card information back to Sony? Isn't it just a file? How do you hand that back? lol.

Wario64 said:
Someone please tell me how do you sell the credit card information back to Sony? Isn't it just a file? How do you hand that back? lol.
floppy_disk.jpg

ukas

sajj316 said:
Was it AES 128, 192, or 256?
PCI standard requires at least 128. After that it's up to the vendor.

Edit: Technically it requires "Strong Cryptography". So they could have used any of the following.

"Cryptography based on industry-tested and accepted algorithms, along with
strong key lengths and proper key-management practices. Cryptography is a
method to protect data and includes both encryption (which is reversible) and
hashing (which is not reversible, or “one way”). SHA-1 is an example of an
industry-tested and accepted hashing algorithm. Examples of industry-tested
and accepted standards and algorithms for encryption include AES (128 bits
and higher), TDES (minimum double-length keys), RSA (1024 bits and higher),
ECC (160 bits and higher), and ElGamal (1024 bits and higher)."

SamuraiX-

Code:
PlayStation Network   Important information regarding PlayStation Network and Qriocity services‎ - Add PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com to your address book   12:56 pm

I love how I just received this e-mail today.

Excellent job, Sony!

No45

test_account said:
If the hacker(s) get caught, do you think that we will get to know about it? Is it common that in these cases that there will be such an announcement if the hacker(s) get caught?
I think Sony making a "martyr" of any more of the hacking community right now wouldn't be a great idea. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SamuraiX- said:
Code:
PlayStation Network   Important information regarding PlayStation Network and Qriocity services‎ - Add PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com to your address book   12:56 pm

I love how I just received this e-mail today.

Excellent job, Sony!
haha me too. so late in the game i assumed it was a scammer

Raistlin

IchigoSharingan said:
Can we all agree that stating (regarding the information theft) "this shit happens all the time" is a logical fallacy since it has zero bearing on what's going on right now?

It is a variation of the appeal to probability.
I would hope the people making such claims are employing a tad more subtlety and context :p

Regardless, I disagree it's necessarily fallacious ... depending on the situation. If one is using it to outright dismiss the situation or downplay the severity, then certainly it has no bearing. If however one is specifically arguing against those maintaining this situation is without precedence or that it is inherently due to negligence on Sony's side, then I think it is a valid point to make.

It all depends on how the person is employing the argument.

IchigoSharingan said:
It is the same Appeals to Probability logical fallacy as presented by many others in this thread. None of that article has anything to do with the Sony matter at hand.
See above.

Out of curiosity, did you just take a argumentation/critical thinking/informal logic class at University or something? :p I kid.

One thing I had previously agreed upon was that there appears to be a valid argument regarding Sony's handling of the situation vis-à-vis disclosure (particularly by delaying dissemination of information). After now reading some of those industry statistics on underreporting, I'm not so sure I even agree on that point anymore.

Sure we can whine that they could have been more apologetic, but beyond that it appears they've acted with more transparency than is the norm in similar cases. If anything we should be applauding their candor, not criticizing it as some sort of cover up campaign.

test_account

XP-39C²
No45 said:
I think Sony making a "martyr" of any more of the hacking community right now wouldn't be a great idea. :p
Maybe. But even if we dont get a name or names, i hope we get some confirmation anyway if the PSN hackers get caught. Not sure if Sony would be the one who decide this type of announcement though, isnt it usually the FBI/police who release this info to the press?

test_account

XP-39C²
Dedication Through Light said:
A free month of PS+ to restore confidence in PSN, or maybe a movie or a $20 credit.
Giving out $20 to every PSN account would cost Sony over 1.5 billion US dollars (if all credit is being spent that is). But giving away a free month of PS+ could actually be a good idea, hoping that people will contunie to subscribe to PS+ after this =)

Sporran

Dabanton said:
So how are PS3 only owners holding up with no online gaming?

Seems a few people in this thread are going a little stir crazy..

Ive got all 3, one doesnt get turned on and the other hasnt had much love since portal 2 so for me no issues :D

BeeDog

Dabanton said:

It's a bit boring, but nothing real life can't solve. :p The only pain in the ass is not being able to try Outland (and perhaps Under Siege). Replaying Crysis 2 on PC too.

This topic provides all the fun for the time being with its craziness anyway!

test_account

XP-39C²
Dabanton said:

Quite good actually. Thought i would be missing PSN more. I've starting to play some singleplayer instead (got Mortal Kombat 9 today as well). I will play online as soon as possible when PSN gets back up though :)

Raistlin said:
Sure we can whine that they could have been more apologetic, but beyond that it appears they've acted with more transparency than in is the norm in similar cases. If anything we should be applauding their candor, not criticizing it as some sort of cover up campaign.
But, again, I would argue that it's important to remember: they've completely taken down the service for more than a week right now. Either one of two things is true here:

A. Sony, showing a callous disregard for making money and a dedication to their consumers information, has gone above and beyond the standard norm that most other companies adhere to. They should be applauded. Most others would have continued on with business as usual, and few would have been any the wiser. But not Sony! Because, you know, they're more awesome than that.

B. This breach is more serious than most others. Realizing the severity, the immediately had to shut it down and bring in outside experts because this was beyond being just a minor, trivial breach that happens every day in this brave, new, connected world.

Dabanton said:

Well, I've also got a PC and a 360, but I need the damn PS3 to activate my Portal 2 copy, which I really want to experience on a PC first. Couldn't have come at a worse time actually.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dabanton said:

Playing a lot of PS2 stuff. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2, Dynasty Warriors 4 (ahh nostalgia), Crimson Tears, etc. Got plenty of singleplayer games to play on the PS3, but playing PS3 at all without PSN just feels...empty. So yeah, whatevs, got plenty of entertaining PS2 stuff to play.

Still want PSN back ASAP, of course. I needs me some online MK, and I'd like to get back into MAG as well.

Toki767

I'm kinda curious if we'll get something of interest in the next firmware update once PSN comes back up other than just changing our password.

iNvid02

Fallout-NL said:
Well, I've also got a PC and a 360, but I need the damn PS3 to activate my Portal 2 copy, which I really want to experience on a PC first. Couldn't have come at a worse time actually.

this, need to link my damn psn and steam accounts before i can redeem the code, ffuuu.

WilyRook

Dabanton said:

I played through Code Veronica for the first time over the weekend, the same copy I bought 10 years ago when it released on PS2. Was fun. I also noticed that Flower doesn't work when not signed in to PSN, at least for me. A message comes up that says something about renewing the license for the game, whatever that means.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dabanton said:

Managed to finish Portal 2, MotorStorm Apocalypse and SOCOM 4.

Now playing SOCOM 4 on Elite.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dabanton said:

Haven't played SOCOM 4 in a week. Was going to take it back, but a 15 TiV for a game that just came out means that it's more cost effective to keep it.

Question for legal-GAF or those of you who may know:

If/when the hackers get caught, anybody have an idea of what sort of legal penalty they'll be facing? Just curious, as I imagine this downtime is costing Sony a fortune.

Dabanton said:

I'm doing fine, gotta a nice single player backlog to work on…inFamous, FFXIII, and Valkyria Chronicles!

Trakdown

Dabanton said:

Doing fine here, it's actually been fortunate to have Portal 2 and MK out since there's a lot of good single player stuff on both, and I was able to get my PC copy of Portal 2 synched up before this all happened.

RPGCrazied

so I got a $20 PSN card today, can you not buy them in $10 incriments? That sucks, I will miss using my CC for that. Oh well.

I wish this would hurry up so I can buy Outland and Beyond Good & Evil(when it comes out next month.)

RPGCrazied said:
so I got a $20 PSN card today, can you not buy them in $10 incriments? That sucks, I will miss using my CC for that. Oh well.

I wish this would hurry up so I can buy Outland and Beyond Good & Evil(when it comes out next month.)
They do have $10 PSN cards, but they're a lot harder to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom