• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Posts New Project Cafe Rumors (No Hard Drive, 8 GB Flash, 25 GB Discs, More)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Coen said:
What if Project Cafe doesn't have a TV-out? What if the controller is its only output?

Will. Never. Happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mr_Brit said:
They were also running it on a triple SLI system and said that they could get it down to a single GPU with optimisation. That tells me plenty about how optimised it was. It's also a tech demo which means that they probably went crazy with the effects to make them as prominent as possible, a retail game would be more balanced.
If the question is will the 720/PS4 be able to produce something that approximates that demo in the same way that say KZ2 approximates its early target renders then there is a good chance. They may well be able to produce something that 'looks' better even, because I am sure a lot of that demo is brute forced and a few cheats might produce superior effects.
If the question is will they match the power required to reproduce that demo then the answer is probably no.

wsippel

Banned
poppabk said:
If the question is will the 720/PS4 be able to produce something that approximates that demo in the same way that say KZ2 approximates its early target renders then there is a good chance. They may well be able to produce something that 'looks' better even, because I am sure a lot of that demo is brute forced and a few cheats might produce superior effects.
If the question is will they match the power required to reproduce that demo then the answer is probably no.
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

ReyVGM said:
So now it's "don't believe Kotaku's rumors" and "IGN's ones are more believable"?

A few thousand pages back it was "IGN sucks, don't believe their rumors".

A case of people only listening to what they want to hear.

Mr_Brit

Banned
poppabk said:
You really can't see a 20nm $400-450 console not matching a GTX 580? That is with 2.25 die shrinks, 3 years and a new architecture. You'd be crazy to think that there isn't a very good chance when you factor that in.

StevieP

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
You really can't see a 20nm $400-450 console not matching a GTX 580? That is with 2.25 die shrinks, 3 years and a new architecture. You'd be crazy to think that there isn't a very good chance when you factor that in.

I think you need to re-read some of the messages in the past page or so.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mr_Brit said:
There's an interview with the lead developer where he admits to not pushing the 360 version as far as possible. I also know exactly how hard Metro 2033 pushes PCs and what exactly does that have to do with anything I said. If it wasn't for millions of dollars nvidia spent on the PC version we would have gotten another subpar console port. There's a reason all the most impressive console ports(Metro 2033, Batman AA) are nvidia sponsored as devs otherwise wouldn't put any effort in.
The majority of the games that are much more impressive on PC come from Europe (usually eastern europe) - Metro 2033, Mafia II, Batman AA - as are a lot of the PC only devs/games - Witcher, Crysis 1, STALKER etc. I think its more to do with the market, talent, and resources available in that part of the world, than injections of Nvidia cash.

Mr_Brit

Banned
poppabk said:
The majority of the games that are much more impressive on PC come from Europe (usually eastern europe) - Metro 2033, Mafia II, Batman AA - as are a lot of the PC only devs/games - Witcher, Crysis 1, STALKER etc. I think its more to do with the market, talent, and resources available in that part of the world, than injections of Nvidia cash.
I can guarantee you Metro 2033, Mafia II, Batman AA would all have been average at best if it wasn't for nvidia's money. You just have to read developers' thoughts about PC gaming to know how much effort they would put into PC ports if there were no outside influences.

wsippel

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
No recent architecture change made GPUs more efficient. All companies did was to add more features. Also, a single die shrink only brings a few percent. Again, according to IBM: Going from 45nm to IBM's state-of-the-art 28NM HKMG gate-first technology gives 40% more performance at 20% less power consumption. Marketing (= best case) scenario. And considering the delays switching to 28nm, I don't even think Sony's and Microsoft's next gen systems will be 20nm anyway. All of that isn't about money, anyway. It's about heat.

So I don't get why people are so concerned about the moving parts of a HDD.

Did PS3/360 have reliability issues from them? Do PC's? Laptop?

Is it that big of a deal?

Mr_Brit

Banned
wsippel said:
No recent architecture change made GPUs more efficient. All companies did was to add more features. Also, a single die shrink only brings a few percent. Again, according to IBM: Going from 45nm to IBM's state-of-the-art 28NM HKMG gate-first technology gives 40% more performance at 20% less power consumption. Marketing (= best case) scenario. And considering the delays switching to 28nm, I don't even think Sony's and Microsoft's next gen systems will be 20nm anyway. All of that isn't about money, anyway. It's about heat.
Just because 28nm was delayed doesn't mean 20nm will be, if anything it will bring it forward as they'll have been working on 20nm simultaneously so will be quite far in bringing it to market. If Sony and MS are really launching in late 2013 or 2014 then there's a better chance of them using 20nm than 28nm. I'd even guess that Wii 2 has a good chance of launching at 28nm.

Christine

BMF said:
Hard drives are 15x-20x as cost effective as flash. There will be flash, but it won't be the same level of mass storage that's available in hard drives.

I can see them using a laptop drive. It's less cost effective than a full size drive, but still far better than flash or solid state. They've gotten really rather robust, and they should satisfy Nintendo's requirements for reliability and shock/drop resistance.

StevieP

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Just because 28nm was delayed doesn't mean 20nm will be, if anything it will bring it forward as they'll have been working on 20nm simultaneously so will be quite far in bringing it to market.

And even at 20nm it won't give you the performance per watt that you state will be in next gen consoles. Whatever you're looking at, keep it maxed out at around 200w TDP, including CPU, RAM, optical drive and storage, and the GPU in that figure. And with parts that have to be taped out in 2012 to be in a 2013 console. And don't forget about the smaller form factor, and the physics associated with sufficiently cooling these parts. You won't find what you're looking for.

Coen

Plinko said:
Will. Never. Happen.
I'd like to believe you, but I can't see a supposedly technically ok but not spectacular machine rendering both a 1080p image for TV and a 720p image for the controller. Somewhere, something's gotta give. I suppose it's possible the controller feed would be severely limited when the main image is been send to a TV, but it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo decided to cut out the TV entirely.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Also keep in mind that Totilo is certain it will have 8 GB flash storage but has heard "mixed things about whether Nintendo will cap their machine's graphical resolution at 1080i or 1080p."

I completely buy the hard drive--that makes perfect sense for Nintendo. The 1080i, though, still doesn't--it technically doesn't make sense and the other rumors are pretty adamant that 1080p is set and that stereoscopic 3D is possible.

Plinko

Coen said:
I'd like to believe you, but I can't see a supposedly technically ok but not spectacular machine rendering both a 1080p image for TV and a 720p image for the controller. Somewhere, something's gotta give. I suppose it's possible the controller feed would be severely limited when the main image is been send to a TV, but it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo decided to cut out the TV entirely.

There's no way they release a home console without the option to use the TV.

Now, the option to NOT use the TV and use the controller instead, that makes sense--it is actually what I've envisioned from the beginning. But there will always be an option to use the television--it would be idiotic otherwise.

wsippel

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Just because 28nm was delayed doesn't mean 20nm will be, if anything it will bring it forward as they'll have been working on 20nm simultaneously so will be quite far in bringing it to market. If Sony and MS are really launching in late 2013 or 2014 then there's a better chance of them using 20nm than 28nm. I'd even guess that Wii 2 has a good chance of launching at 28nm.
Well, we'll see. Still: You completely ignored the rest of my post. Even if Sony and Microsoft manage to cut the TDP in half by 2014, which is highly unlikely, it's still too much.

StevieP

Banned
Plinko said:
Also keep in mind that Totilo is certain it will have 8 GB flash storage but has heard "mixed things about whether Nintendo will cap their machine's graphical resolution at 1080i or 1080p."

I completely buy the hard drive--that makes perfect sense for Nintendo. The 1080i, though, still doesn't--it technically doesn't make sense and the other rumors are pretty adamant that 1080p is set and that stereoscopic 3D is possible.

It makes sense if the console does not have HDMI/digital out and has *only* component instead. Which would be a shame.

Plinko

StevieP said:
It makes sense if the console does not have HDMI/digital out and has *only* component instead. Which would be a shame.

Is HDMI that much more expensive?

Plinko

StevieP said:
Well, unlike component there is a licensing fee associated with it.
Nintendo hates licensing fees.

I just can't imagine them handicapping themselves like that right off the bat, although looking at the Wii they seemed to do it. Would be foolish to think they could get back the "hardcore" gamers with no 1080p--they'd be bashed relentlessly by gaming journalists and the like. It would be like the Wii all over again.

StevieP said:

But it doesn't since again component video has no problem outputting 1080p.

Mr_Brit

Banned
StevieP said:
Well, unlike component there is a licensing fee associated with it.
Nintendo hates licensing fees.
Plinko said:
Is HDMI that much more expensive?
I'm pretty sure that the licensing fee per device is 5 cents. Nintendo would have to take penny pinching to a whole new unseen level if they chose to omit HDMI for that reason.

StevieP

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
But it doesn't since again component video has no problem outputting 1080p.

Most TVs, as far as I know, cap component at 1080i. Really, having only component output is the only way I can see the 1080i rumour making any sense. That, or having *only* controller screens as the video output and no TV out.

Coen

Plinko said:
There's no way they release a home console without the option to use the TV.

Now, the option to NOT use the TV and use the controller instead, that makes sense--it is actually what I've envisioned from the beginning. But there will always be an option to use the television--it would be idiotic otherwise.
Yes, you've mentioned that before, but I'm not hearing any arguments why it would be - as you put it - idiotic.

Again, I'm not saying it won't have a TV-out, I'm looking for an explanation for the 1080i rumors.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Fourth Storm said:
Well, how reliable is your source? Are you willing to put your reputation on the line for it? Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical, but there's a hell of a lot of nonsense going around these days.
What sort of experimental understanding of journalism are you working under? I reported the stories under my byline with no named sources. That's me putting my reputation on the line.

StevieP said:
Most TVs, as far as I know, cap component at 1080i. Really, having only component output is the only way I can see the 1080i rumour making any sense. That, or having *only* controller screens as the video output and no TV out.

That's an individual tv issue though and not a component video issue. Only thing I could think of is that what ever dev made the comment has the dev unit connected to a tv that doesn't do 1080p over component *shrug*. No idea but component can handle 1080p just fine.

TwinIonEngines said:
I can see them using a laptop drive. It's less cost effective than a full size drive, but still far better than flash or solid state. They've gotten really rather robust, and they should satisfy Nintendo's requirements for reliability and shock/drop resistance.
I still hold by my expectation. 4-8gb of built in flash - optional hard drive. It's the best of both worlds.

Coen said:
Yes, you've mentioned that before, but I'm not hearing any arguments why it would be - as you put it - idiotic.

Again, I'm not saying it won't have a TV-out, I'm looking for an explanation for the 1080i rumors.

There is no logical explanation for the 1080i rumors.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Vagabundo said:
Hey Stephen,

Do you know if pointer controls still work well?

Thats all I'm really interested in; its a deal breaker for me.

:D

You're asking if Wii Remotes will work with the new console? Yes. I and others have already reported that. You'd be mistaken to imagine multiple people huddled around a TV each with a Cafe screen-controller in their hand. I don't even know if the new console can stream to more than one controller (I've never asked). Imagine one person with the screen controller; another with a Wii Remote. Or multiple people with Wii Remotes and none with screen controllers. Mix and match.

Deadstar

So is it maybe possible that we can play Wii games in hd on this new system? I'd love to play brawl with hd graphics. I had read somewhere that Nintendo creates the content in HD but then lowers the resolution so that it can be released on the wii.

Plinko

Coen said:

Sorry for not explaining my opinion.

Here goes--people in here were arguing that the streaming would make no sense because they just put out a new handheld and it would "take away from that market." I disagreed, saying that the TV itself allows for a company to put more power in the console and people aren't likely to mistake a handheld and a console because of that fact.

If you take the TV out of the equation, Nintendo DOES start to cause market confusion. People will start to ask, "What's the point of this if all I can do is keep it in my house? Why can't I use this on my TV? Isn't this the same thing as the 3DS, only more limited by where I can take it?"

It makes absolutely no sense to limit a console to a controller. Taking the TV-out option out of the console completely blurs the line between their markets and, I think, would be a horrible move.

Eteric Rice

stephentotilo said:
You're asking if Wii Remotes will work with the new console? Yes. I and others have already reported that. You'd be mistaken to imagine multiple people huddled around a TV each with a Cafe screen-controller in their hand. I don't even know if the new console can stream to more than one controller (I've never asked). Imagine one person with the screen controller; another with a Wii Remote. Or multiple people with Wii Remotes and none with screen controllers. Mix and match.

I imagine it will.

God, Monster Hunter, Mario Kart... Hell, even FPS games would be awesome on that thing. Everyone gets a screen, so no cheating.

Actually, it would probably be the best tournament system if it works like that.

If Nintendo do this, they will lose a lot of multiplatform PS3-360 support. With 8 Gb there is not enough space to demos (specially if they are graphically better than current PS3 and 360), DLC, patches and XBLA-PSN multiplatform. Most of current XBLA-PSN games are near 1Gb of size. DLC, specially the worthy one (like fallout DLC, Dragon Age) has a similar size...

This is not in line with next-gen consoles, that they'll have 500 or 1T Gb as default. But is not even in line with current consoles or even the HD of the launch units of current consoles.

wsippel

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Stephen Totilo is very credible but I hope Kotaku's wrong about this 8GB of storage story. That kind of sucks.
Installs shouldn't be necessary, and 8GB is plenty for patches and DLC. And if you need more, add an SD card. I think it's an acceptable solution. I just hope it's fast.

Plinko

stephentotilo said:
I have no idea. Sorry.

Can you speak to the IGN rumors that it's "significantly more powerful" than 360/PS3 or is there little information out there as of yet?

Wait didn't one of the rumours state that Nintendo was trying to get 3rd parties on board? With 1080i and a measily 8 GB storage... what kind of 3rd party would want that trash?

I'm pessimistic about the Cafe, but not even Nintendo could be that retarded... hopefully.

1-D_FTW

I just did a google search and it seems component cables can technically do 1080P, it's the RCA plugs at the end that are the weak link. You need "BNC" plugs to be able to do the transfer without degradation.

Seriously, though, if Nintendo is half-assing the machine so badly they won't even put in HDMI, I'll stop following Stream after E3 and Nintendo will be dead to me. That's my line in the sand. They cross that, I'm done with them.

ShockingAlberto said:
Nintendo will never allow open USB ports again. Not after the Wii.
nice-things-cat.jpg

Taker666

BMF said:
I still hold by my expectation. 4-8gb of built in flash - optional hard drive. It's the best of both worlds.

..or they could just do what they did with the 3DS and include an SD card as well.

8GB on-board..plus an 8GB or 16GB SD card bundled.

Plinko

1-D_FTW said:
I just did a google search and it seems component cables can technically do 1080P, it's the RCA plugs at the end that are the weak link. You need "BNC" plugs to be able to do the transfer without degradation.

Seriously, though, if Nintendo is half-assing the machine so badly they won't even put in HDMI, I'll stop following Stream after E3 and Nintendo will be dead to me. That's my line in the sand. They cross that, I'm done with them.

Again, (as the French site was reporting) if a dev is saying "They're doing it right this time" I don't at all buy the 1080i idea. I can't imagine any dev in their right mind would say that.

Unless it's Ubisoft.

Emitan

mj1108 said:
Nintendo won't use traditional, platter hard drives. If they include any kind of storage it would be solid state. The reason being is that with traditional hard drives there's too many moving parts and they're slower.
I'm talking about an optional hard drive. It doesn't need to come with one, just the ability to put one in.

How slow are SD cards compared to a 5400 or 7200 RPM laptop drive?

1-D_FTW

Plinko said:
Again, (as the French site was reporting) if a dev is saying "They're doing it right this time" I don't at all buy the 1080i idea. I can't imagine any dev in their right mind would say that.

Unless it's Ubisoft.

Game Informer said the same thing. I have to believe these rumors are true because it defies all logic they wouldn't be. But you just never know. E3 can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom