• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Crucio said:
I think the way Bungie made the game was by intent to be different from Halo 3. If ya'll want AA pickups then Halo 3 should be right for you. I don't think that AAs should work in that way.

When Bungie first started talking about Armor Abilities in Reach, they mentioned Equipment in Halo 3 as being neat but the one-time use meant people would often hold onto them and try to save them for later instead of using them freely. I think they certainly accomplished that, but it's gone too far. Now we have AAs slowly being removed from playlists, trending towards a select few because there are some nasty combinations (camo + sniper, evade + sword, armor lock + anything).

I'm just trying to find a balance between the two extremes of "Unlimited AAs you get at spawn" and "No AAs ever". I think it's reasonable to test the MLG style of "Sprint at spawn but you can pick up AAs and have unlimited use until you die."

We get the diversity of gameplay that Reach offers with the level playing field that defines Halo (to me). Loadouts are a neat diversion, but I can get that from Call of Duty. I want to go back to Halo 2's style of timing the rocket spawns and being rewarded for winning the struggle over power weapons.

And I did play Halo 3 yesterday. It reminded me of some things I missed (The Pit, Valhalla, the Warthog) but it also reminded me that there are things in Reach I love enough to not go back to 3 permanently.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ughhhhhhh. I just uploaded Week 5 Montage to Youtube and because of the music it's only viewable to those in the US :( Fuck

ncsuDuncan said:
When Bungie first started talking about Armor Abilities in Reach, they mentioned Equipment in Halo 3 as being neat but the one-time use meant people would often hold onto them and try to save them for later instead of using them freely. I think they certainly accomplished that, but it's gone too far. Now we have AAs slowly being removed from playlists, trending towards a select few because there are some nasty combinations (camo + sniper, evade + sword, armor lock + anything).

I'm just trying to find a balance between the two extremes of "Unlimited AAs you get at spawn" and "No AAs ever". I think it's reasonable to test the MLG style of "Sprint at spawn but you can pick up AAs and have unlimited use until you die."

We get the diversity of gameplay that Reach offers with the level playing field that defines Halo (to me). Loadouts are a neat diversion, but I can get that from Call of Duty. I want to go back to Halo 2's style of timing the rocket spawns and being rewarded for winning the struggle over power weapons.

And I did play Halo 3 yesterday. It reminded me of some things I missed (The Pit, Valhalla, the Warthog) but it also reminded me that there are things in Reach I love enough to not go back to 3 permanently.

This is how imagened Halo Reach's gameplay when I first read the article from GameInformer, that's why I prefer the MLG playlist (only problem are not enough friends willing to play it)

Crucio

Tashi! I'm looking forward to the montage! What song did you use?

ncsuDuncan said:

You make a good point, I wonder if these things were tested internally.
If its working in MLG, maybe it deserve a shot in BTB and the like. Perhaps throwing an AA pickup gametype in Action Sack could help test it.

Though like you said we need to find the balance that can make Reach its own even with Halo 3 style pickups.

Tashi

SXoxm.png

And we're back! :)

Week 5 here after a few weeks off. I didn't have a solid opportunity to put something decent together and in the past few weeks so I waited until I can get a full effort at it. Thanks to Juices for the sexy HD capture and thanks again to letters for the banner. I will eventually make a sexier intro and outro. Maybe for season 2. I want to make sure I come up with a really good idea and execute on it well so that it'll last for me for however long I wanna keep doing these. Again, these clips have ALL been gathered in the past 7 days. Spoilers, no overkills this week :( I choked on a few, as per usual lol. Next week, I'll have a full week on with my no slow controller and so maybe I'll get an overkill for the montage.

As I posted earlier, there is an issue with the music I used and it's view-ability on Youtube. I was afraid that it was going to happen one of these weeks and it finally has. The youtube version is NOT viewable by those outside the United States. I also uploaded a Vimeo version for those who want to watch it but are not in the US.

Youtube for those in the US:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-KntjbTQHI

Vimeo for those outside the US:
http://vimeo.com/23289912

Don't forget to turn HD on for full sexiness.

I hope you guys enjoy it :)

Again, any and all feedback is welcome. I'm open to music suggestions and ideas for the intro and outro. Any specific transition ideas or effects? Don't hold back!

Lazslo

I haven't been able to pay much attention to the thread lately due to work, but can someone fill me in on what happened to Brian Jarrard aka ManCannon? Last I read about 2-3 weeks ago was something like he's off on the B.Net Staff page but his post on the forums were still in gold text- I'm sure that has changed since then. After reading this Job opening, I'm guessing he left Bungie? I really hope he's still involved with Bungie and the community in some form, as far as community dudes go, he was the best of the best. If he's gone, the original Bungie Community Dream Team™: Franky, Sketch and L.M Smith is all but dust and echos.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Some clips for you guys.

Nice map

Perfect timing

And a quick reminder about Evade not necessarily working out as intended especially when map glitches come into play ;-)

Evade FTWTF!??

Quick edit: The only change I'd make is moving Hologram over to tier 2 but otherwise I'd say rest of the list is spot on.
Rofl the last two are hilarious. The evade suicide made me think of gnomish rocket boots from world of warcraft. Evade should have a disclaimer that says 'Does not always function as intended.'Thanks for posting. I love watching rendered clips.
equil said:
I like how the flag guy just dips out.

And speaking of halo 3 clips, these are probably my favorite clips of halo 3:

Team Snipers Splatter
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=59658343&rfilm=105591377

and the most random snipe ever.
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=68615259&rfilm=104350963
Went to sleep before I saw your post last night. Did you happen to submit that first clip on Bungie.net for a chance at getting a recon helmet back in the day? I never felt like I had any clips worthy enough to submit. So I never tried.

Tashi0106 said:
http://i.imgur.com/SXoxm.png[/IM

And we're back! :)

Again, any and all feedback is welcome. I'm open to music suggestions and ideas for the intro and outro. Any specific transition ideas or effects? Don't hold back![/QUOTE]
[spoiler]Little did Tashi know, I was the that one teammate talking smack about his sniping skills.[/spoiler]

Crucio

Really enjoyed this one Tashi, well done. That Assault match, great tactics.
The song was pretty exciting yet didn't take too much away from the game play.
Cool!

Tashi

Hitmonchan107 said:
Old.
Yoink! Hahahahaha!

Good stuff!

The similar intro to week four threw me off. It made me think the Vimeo upload was old at first (since it wasn't labeled).

Yea, that's been taken care of now. Thanks a lot for pointing that out. Also thanks for the HBO love <3 When are you gonna step up and put one of these together? :p

Dani said:
A joy to watch, Tashi. As always. Great job and some sick moments.

Thank you!

LOL Dax

Crucio said:
Really enjoyed this one Tashi, well done. That Assault match, great tactics.
The song was pretty exciting yet didn't take too much away from the game play.
Cool!

Thanks a lot <3

Schmitty

Lazslo said:
I haven't been able to pay much attention to the thread lately due to work, but can someone fill me in on what happened to Brian Jarrard aka ManCannon? Last I read about 2-3 weeks ago was something like he's off on the B.Net Staff page but his post on the forums were still in gold text- I'm sure that has changed since then. After reading this Job opening, I'm guessing he left Bungie? I really hope he's still involved with Bungie and the community in some form, as far as community dudes go, he was the best of the best. If he's gone, the original Bungie Community Dream Team™: Franky, Sketch and L.M Smith is all but dust and echos.
News to me. That's disappointing. When you say LM Smith, are you talking about Luke?

feel

Been too busy so just now caught up to last 3 vids, great stuff Tashi!! Episodes 4 and 5 were particularly great!! And good idea getting rid of the banner on the vid, I personally really like how it looks in the thread against the clean and serious gaf background, but it seemed out of place in the vids. And I also like the current intro and overall editing and would just leave it all exactly like that, but I am a fan of "less is more" for these type of things where I'm very interested in the actual content.

wwm0nkey

Well I was super bored while attempting to make an indie game and decided to change the title and icon and take a picture that will either make people cry or want to punch me XD

25tgppe.jpg

A few of my friends actually thought it was real for awhile XD

wwm0nkey said:
Well I was super bored while attempting to make an indie game and decided to change the title and icon and take a picture that will either make people cry or want to punch me XD

25tgppe.jpg

1013.jpg

Havok

wwm0nkey said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/25tgppe.jpg[/IMG

A few of my friends actually thought it was real for awhile XD[/QUOTE]
I fully expect this to show up on Kotaku within the hour.

Hey You

Another awful gametype/map combo to add to the list.

Dino Blasters on Tempest.

I swear people aren't looking what they vote for and randomly pick one.

Nice one wwm0nkey! Funnily enough, I was writing a few bars for music I might try put in my Halo game of sorts (It's all kinds of awesome in my head as far as 2D side scrolling Halo goes :p). What do I end up playing but music heavily inspired by Peril among other Halo 2 classics. That game had the best soundtrack in my opinion.

Tashi, I do not want to be in your shoes when you are 6/12/24 months down the line thinking, "Hey, I could take the best clips from each of the videos and make a super awesome montage!". It would be like picking your favourite child :p

Tashi

Letters said:
Been too busy so just now caught up to last 3 vids, great stuff Tashi!! Episodes 4 and 5 were particularly great!! And good idea getting rid of the banner on the vid, I personally really like how it looks in the thread against the clean and serious gaf background, but it seemed out of place in the vids. And I also like the current intro and overall editing and would just leave it all exactly like that, but I am a fan of "less is more" for these type of things where I'm very interested in the actual content.

Thanks!

I totally agree with the "less is more" approach. I see a lot of montages out there with insane effects and you can barely tell what's going on. I'd like to use some effects but ones that add to the gameplay and the clips and not distract from them. However, I do think the intro and outro could use some work. They're so plain lol.

Nockz said:
Tashi, I do not want to be in your shoes when you are 6/12/24 months down the line thinking, "Hey, I could take the best clips from each of the videos and make a super awesome montage!". It would be like picking your favourite child :p

Lol ohhhh I've already thought about this. If I do make a "super awesome montage" I don't think it would be too hard to pick the clips. Overkills go in and super awesome triple kills go in too. I honestly wouldn't use 90% of the clips in the weekly. My gameplay style isn't very flashy but I do my best :)

Tawpgun

Two things.

1. Got matched up against two inheritors. Modded or no?

2. AR Starts on Highlands. Fantastic.

Does changing things like Drop Shield out of objective and DMR starts in defiant really take a lot of work?

Thanks again for sharing, Tashi! Great weekly. The music really worked this week. That coupled with the lack of over-editing and uber-effects keep it feeling light and fun, which is what I think you're going for. The super montage could be given a more serious tone with effects and slo-mo and frantic editing in places etc, but these have great variety (nice sticks on Zealot/betrayal) and are fun to watch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wwm0nkey said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/25tgppe.jpg[IMG]

You were supposed to play it off like it was real. "Hey guys this just leaked. HNNNGGHH"

wwm0nkey

Plywood said:
You were supposed to play it off like it was real. "Hey guys this just leaked. HNNNGGHH"
I could have, but that would have been too mean to people that actually would want to see it happen :lol

Was planing on trolling a lot of video game news sites with this and just post a troll face picture here XD

Kibbles

I bow to that Colbert image. 100% American hero.
wwm0nkey said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/25tgppe.jpg[/.IMG]

This is going to be all over now, way to go. [img]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif

*cries*

GhaleonEB

Attempting to get through the Heretic Heavies round on Arcadefight on Courtyard just now was one of the most singularly unpleasant experiences I've had in Reach matchmaking, ever. It's AR starts against 24 Elites toting rocket launchers, grenade launchers and Spartan lasers. Oh, and they're buffed by Mythic.

And that was before the Elite Ultras dropped in.

During the bonus round. When Tilt is on.

Edit:

Tried BTB. BTB Snipers almost got voted in, instead I got 1-flag on Boneyard. It was utterly horrifying, a Banshee/Scorpion camp fest with no bases - the flag is out in the open and the game is played down the middle. It was up there with the horror shows on Paradiso. I left after the first round.

The playlist management in Reach really not up to par. :(

Played a couple of games in BTB. I am actually impressed with the community maps they selected for it. They are all really good. Doesn't happen often but good job bungie.

blamite

wwm0nkey said:

25tgppe.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Stop playing with my heart!
That's what I get for looking at the picture before reading the text. :(

Tashi

Tunavi said:
Tashi, the betrayal clip was awesome, and my favorites were the objective clips like that CTF triple

Thanks!

Account Attempt #4 said:
Thanks again for sharing, Tashi! Great weekly. The music really worked this week. That coupled with the lack of over-editing and uber-effects keep it feeling light and fun, which is what I think you're going for. The super montage could be given a more serious tone with effects and slo-mo and frantic editing in places etc, but these have great variety (nice sticks on Zealot/betrayal) and are fun to watch.

Yea that is what I'm going for. How serious and crazy can I possibly make it when I have only have a week? It works well I think. Thanks.

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
this looks cool, why did it never happen?
Harms Way or the Halo 2 Live thing?

Halo 2 Live is just me completely trolling the internet :lol also secretly driving up demand for a Halo 2 Live ;)

wwm0nkey

Anyone else think they need to flesh out the next Halo's story a lot? The Halo books pushed out this beautiful universe but the games (besides Halo 1 and parts of 2) seem to just completely let down when drawing in aspects of the universe. I just want a Halo game to have a story as good as the books.

Top Bottom