• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

Okay, so we basically need to get Nintendo to make StarTropics and Mario Paintball. Shouldn't be too difficult, right? I never played StarTropics but if I can transfer VC purchases from Wii to Café then I might it up with Super Metroid. That said, component cable issue :(

Amir0x said:
Fear not, Alison Brie fans. She is in Mad Men and she washes away all her sins like "being a part of Community" every episode she participates in <3
Looks like I've got a reason to watch Mad Men after all ;D
NEO0MJ said:
You only watch it for Annie's boobs, admit it.
Okay, I know this is what all the guys say, but it really is the eyes. I swear!

Fou-Lu

Super Paintbrawl Brothers? Nintendo characters get together in an epic paintball fps tournament, each character getting weapons according to their games. Link's paintbombs and Mario throwing big red paintballs. lol.

(I've never played Star Tropics, is it still enjoyable today?)

NEO0MJ

snesfreak said:
lol Community hate, different poster, same bullshit.
Hey, I have an awesome idea.
A Community Paintball game for Cafe/Stream/whatever the hell it'll be called!
The best show ever will be made into the best game ever.

Community spoilers, lul.
Would Chang or the new villains be the final boss?

Amir0x

Banned
snesfreak said:
lol Community hate, different poster, same bullshit.
Hey, I have an awesome idea.
A Community Paintball game for Cafe/Stream/whatever the hell it'll be called!
The best show ever will be made into the best game ever.

it's not even the best comedy show airing this year. That's called Curb your Enthusiasm.

Woffls said:
Okay, so we basically need to get Nintendo to make StarTropics and Mario Paintball. Shouldn't be too difficult, right? I never played StarTropics but if I can transfer VC purchases from Wii to Café then I might it up with Super Metroid. That said, component cable issue :(
I would love to see if Nintendo even remembered Star Tropics if you mentioned it to them in an an interview or something. Would start those rumour mills up nice and proper like.

Woffls said:
Looks like I've got a reason to watch Mad Men after all ;D

It's the best show currently on TV but she and Pete's relationships are definitely a highlight of the show :D

So, at this point our semi-reliable rumor list is:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Traditional layout controller with a 6" screen.

Speculation:

Name
Hard Drive/SD Card compatibility
Specifics on CPU/GPU
Motion Control (new or compatible with old?)
RAM (type and capacity)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with outside company for online.
Spending more time fostering 3rd party relationships.

Common Sense:

Should support all HD resolutions
HDMI support and component/composite

BMF said:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor

Speculation:

Name
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)

Confirmed Things:

Common Sense:

good list.

Karish

BMF said:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor

Speculation:

Name
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)

Confirmed Things:

Common Sense:

Source?

richisawesome said:
Indeeeed. Many people are (maybe unrealistically) hoping for Valve. Heh.
Hope is what keeps us alive. Valve is an interesting thought as they already have the infrastructure, they would just need to duplicate it and make some adjustments for Nintendo.

Did he specifically say online?

As far as I remember, it was just a "Wii would be doing better right now if we had partnered with someone else."

Edit: Ah.

Woffls

richisawesome said:
PS3 has Steamworks, and if Nintendo were partnering with Valve from the start then the implementation would be much better than the PSN afterthought. Nintendo could even use the Steam store front tech - obviously not sharing the same games - and I'm sure they've got enough money to hand over to Valve.

Valve and Nintendo would make one hell of a team.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why oh why every time someones links to kotaku, it just brings me to the home page instead of the article!?

WHY!?

NEO0MJ

BMF said:
Hope is what keeps us alive. Valve is an interesting thought as they already have the infrastructure, they would just need to duplicate it and make some adjustments for Nintendo.

Who other than Valve and Gamespy can they go to? Want to know what we can expect so we won't be shocked.

Woffls

BY2K said:
Why oh why every time someones links to kotaku, it just brings me to the home page instead of the article!?
Usually does this for me as well. I can't even be bothered to fix it, so if I end up at the home page I just don't bother reading the article.

NEO0MJ said:
Who other than Valve and Gamespy can they go to?

I think we're thinking to directly about this, honestly.
There's hundreds of networking companies in the world that Nintendo could partner with. They don't have to have a connection with gaming in order for a good system to be built.

Sianos

BMF said:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor

Speculation:

Name
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)

Confirmed Things:

Common Sense:

Seems like a pretty solid console so far, although I'm curious what the suprise is.

Darryl

Banned
There's hundreds of networking companies in the world that Nintendo could partner with. They don't have to have a connection with gaming in order for a good system to be built.

Exactly, I don't see any reason to assume that they're going to partner directly with a company already involved in gaming. I would imagine the costs would be higher. Although I do fully support a Nintendo + Valve partnership.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Starchasing said:
it may as well be an obscure japanese company... like the new one they picked up for their browser after dumping opera
Called Valvelcular. The perfect name to make every fanboy's heart stop for a split second and then sink.

NSQuote said:
Seems like a pretty solid console so far, although I'm curious what the suprise is.

TWO speakers in the controller!
Though, I think the surprise will have more to do with some social aspect of the console that we don't know about. I mean, some of the things in the 1Up article would be pretty exciting.

GoldenEye 007 said:
Didn't Nintendo already partner with Gamespy before? I think they handle the matchmaking for NWFC if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, but I think they've dropped them when they dropped the Nintendo WiFi Connection.

richisawesome said:
Wasn't that a rumor?
That Valve was in some way working with Nintendo?

Time to do a google search! BRB...

EDIT- nope, just theory from what I can find.

AceBandage said:
Yeah, but I think they've dropped them when they dropped the Nintendo WiFi Connection.
Nintendo WiFi Connection is gone? Or are you saying Gamespy dropped NWFC and in turn Nintendo dropped Gamespy?

GoldenEye 007 said:
Nintendo WiFi Connection is gone? Or are you saying Gamespy dropped NWFC and in turn Nintendo dropped Gamespy?

NWFC no longer exists. That branding is gone. And I think that along with that, Gamespy's contract ended. Especially with Iwata saying they were working with other companies.

Disguises

Black-Wind said:
Wasn't that a rumor?
That Valve was in some way working with Nintendo?

Time to do a google search! BRB...

EDIT- nope, just theory from what I can find.
Yep, just a theory. People setting themselves up for massive disappointment at E3 :p

EDIT:
GoldenEye 007 said:
Well - Black Ops and Conduit 2 do not have a Nintendo WiFi logo anymore, just a generic black one which says "WiFi Compatible".

Also, originally the online menu option in Black Ops was called "Nintendo WiFi Connection", this was later patched to just read "Black Ops Online".

As long as the controller doesnt look like this -

It is funny how you can barely find these around anymore. It is as if they never existed.

Perhaps PS4 will be more like this. This is living!

ps3-controller.jpg

Woffls

Amir0x said:
This Valve+Nintendo thing is going to gain rumour mill traction by sheer force of Nintendo fan willpower alone :p
It's not willpower you sense... it's destiny.

What are the logical reasons why it wouldn't happen? Valve apparently don't have a problem with their technology being implemented on other systems, and I expect there's even less of a market crossover with Café than PS3. Nintendo have all but confirmed they're looking for outside help with online, so that fits as well.

Their games don't compete for market share that much, so there's not a conflict of interest there if Valve want to push the Café versions of Half Life, Left 4 Dead or Portal. They've both enjoyed a long history of freedom to do whatever they damn well please.

The one thing that makes this unlikely is that it's almost too good.

Disguises said:
Also, originally the online menu option in Black Ops was called "Nintendo WiFi Connection", which was later patched to just read "Online Multiplayer"

Hmm, interesting.

Their Wi Fi Connection logo is still on the Animal Crossing Wii reprint, assuming those boxarts were genuine. It's also on the front of the new Wii box which shows the Mario Kart box, heh.

Woffls said:

What are the logical reasons why it wouldn't happen? Valve apparently don't have a problem with their technology being implemented on other systems, and I expect there's even less of a market crossover with Café than PS3. Nintendo have all but confirmed they're looking for outside help with online, so that fits as well.

Their games don't compete for market share that much, so there's not a conflict of interest there if Valve want to push the Café versions of Half Life, Left 4 Dead or Portal. They've both enjoyed a long history of freedom to do whatever they damn well please.

Really, the one thing that doesn't make this seem possible:

Nintendo wouldn't have 100% control over it.

Beth Cyra

Woffls said:

The thing is, a true online serivce like Steam or Xbox Live needs constant updates. I don't really see Valve working on Nintendo's platform for the next five years keeping their online service up and going.

I guess you could say that Valve would just help design the tech and then Nintendo would handle it, but I don't see why we would really trust them to do this given how they could had diffculty with Wii service which was lacking in everyway.

Woffls

AceBandage said:
Really, the one thing that doesn't make this seem possible:

Nintendo wouldn't have 100% control over it.
But they've already implemented a system they didn't have 100% control over, and the recent quotes are practically an admission that they can't handle everything themselves.

In the field of networks in particular, however, I admit that we cannot do business in pace with the changes in the world and the requests from consumers only within our company and with development companies we have long been in touch with.

Okay they might be referring to some more base level infrastructure that they can't handle internally, but I think that's enough to assume that Nintendo is outsourcing a decent amount of Café's online features.

Just keep dreamin' :(

Well, no.
The difference is that Valve is a fully established and large company. If Nintendo turns to them as says "Run our online for us." then it'll be Valve's way or no way. And as many concessions as Nintendo would make, that would be a deal breaker.
However, a smaller studio, that has no current vested interest in the industry would be much more controllable. Nintendo would be able to implement their own ideas into the structure of the network.

TruePrime said:
The thing is, a true online serivce like Steam or Xbox Live needs constant updates. I don't really see Valve working on Nintendo's platform for the next five years keeping their online service up and going.

I guess you could say that Valve would just help design the tech and then Nintendo would handle it, but I don't see why we would really trust them to do this given how they could had diffculty with Wii service which was lacking in everyway.
Nintendo would pay Valve up front for handling build-out and porting the software to Nintendo's new platform. Valve would continue to work on the platform and would also take a cut of software sales over the platform. They would take 1/2 or 1/3 of the cut for the sale on the online platform.

jacksrb

AceBandage said:
I think a Mic built in could be likely. Dunno about speakers.

Right, I was thinking about the audio out and didn't think about the audio in.

No idea what this sort of thing does to the price of the controller.

Beth Cyra

BMF said:
Nintendo would pay Valve up front for handling build-out and porting the software to Nintendo's new platform. Valve would continue to work on the platform and would also take a cut of software sales over the platform. They would take 1/2 or 1/3 of the cut for the sale on the online platform.

Yeah I just don't see this happening.

Valve already has their own platform they fully support, they just put Steamworks on PS3. I can't see them locking themselves down to this much potentail work on Nintendo's platform for such a long standing amount of time.

TruePrime said:
Yeah I just don't see this happening.

Valve already has their own platform they fully support, they just put Steamworks on PS3. I can't see them locking themselves down to this much potentail work on Nintendo's platform for such a long standing amount of time.
Why wouldn't they want that work? That's income. It's not even much of a creative endeavor. It's an increased userbase for the cost of scaling up that Nintendo would likely pay for.

Edit: Valve would have every motivation to do this. The inability to come to agreeable terms with Nintendo would be the only reason I can think of that would make it a no go on their end.

Beth Cyra

BMF said:
Why wouldn't they want that work? That's income. It's not even much of a creative endeavor. It's an increased userbase for the cost of scaling up that Nintendo would likely pay for.
They can likely make that money by porting their software to Cafe if the platform has the user base.

I don't know. I just don't see Valve putting that much support behind Nintendo's platform.

I think Ace is closer then anyone when he suggested people are making a mistake when they try to only look within the industry and not outside to find the company that will produce the solution that Iwata is talking about.

Certainly the Valve thing isn't impossible. I just don't see any reason to believe it either.

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)
Motion Control (new variation?)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with an outside company for online.

Common Sense:

Fighting the good fight to try and keep this thread on topic for a new page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom