• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Safeway cashier apologies for calling gay couple "fucking fags" to their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

A Safeway cashier in the District of Columbia has apologized for calling a gay couple “faggots,” gay weekly Metro Weekly reported.

According to Brendan Harrington and Jason Morgan, a cashier at their local Safeway grocery store brazenly called the couple “fucking faggots” to their faces.

“We put our groceries up on the conveyer belt, some frozen dinner and wine, and [the cashier] said, 'Oh God, they're faggots,'” said Morgan. “And then Brendan said, 'I'm sorry I didn't hear what you said.' And she said, 'You guys are fucking faggots.'”

After the cashier, who said her name was D'Angela, ignored the men's request to speak to the manager, they decided to walk out of the store.

“I shouldn't have to put up with this when I'm buying groceries,” Harrington said. “It's disgusting.”

When neighbor Andrew Kloman heard the news, he visited the store to speak to with the cashier, who agreed to an on-camera apology. (The video is embedded in the right panel of this page.)

The apology, however, failed to mollify the couple, who characterized it as insincere.

“We’re really offended that she’s still working there," Morgan said, "and that she was kind of laughing through the apology. Had this been some other corporate business, the person would have been suspended until the investigation was found out and clearly that wasn’t done. Somebody was able to walk in and video tape her easier than we were able to walk in and find the general manager, which we never found.”

The men have filed a complaint with the D.C. Office of Human Rights.

Story Here

This is the video of the apology

Honestly I'm a bit surprised Safeway didn't fire her. It seems like a good way to lose customers to tolerate that sort of customer abuse.

Edit: I posted this a bit into the thread (post 19) but to save confusion, she was later fired and Safeway is investigating why employees didn't help the customers locate a manager.

TL4E

PTCjZ.jpg

Doesn't look like a typical homophobic.

RBH

No sincerity at all in that "apology" video.

Edit: Hm, seems like they haven't officially filed a complaint to the manager or anyone in the corporate chain at Safeway.

Gaborn

Yoshiya said:
Even I'm getting sick of homophobia outrage threads, Gaborn. Bigots exist, and they surely always will.

It just seems to be a trend right now. I'm not actively looking for them, they just seem to come in bunches. I have been mixing in other threads though.

dream

Yoshiya said:
Even I'm getting sick of homophobia outrage threads, Gaborn. Bigots exist, and they surely always will.

Yup. This stuff happening sucks, but there's really nothing newsworthy about this instance.

Gaborn said:
It just seems to be a trend right now. I'm not actively looking for them, they just seem to come in bunches. I have been mixing in other threads though.
Come on you have a Google News Alert for the word Gay, Dead Babies, Tortured Pets, and Cheerful Odd Stuff (though the last one brings far less hits).

Maximus.

what human trash that person is, I am surprised she hasn't lost her job, but it may have something to do with the union they have.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
“We’re really offended that she’s still working there," Morgan said.
Am I missing something here? Is there something in the video or the full story (which I have neither seen nor read, respectively) that isn't in your blurb where it indicates that they spoke to the manager or anyone up the corporate chain of Safeway? As far as I can read from what you've posted, they never actually complained, so I'm confused as to why they seem surprised that she's still working there. Did they expect her to fire or suspend herself?

dream

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Come on you have a Google News Alert for the word Gay, Dead Babies, Tortured Pets, and Cheerful Odd Stuff (though the last one brings far less hits).

You just reminded me of just how much I prefer Gaborn News to the shit that BloodySinner guy posts.

Gaborn

mre said:
Am I missing something here? Is there something in the video or the full story (which I have neither seen nor read, respectively) that isn't in your blurb where it indicates that they spoke to the manager or anyone up the corporate chain of Safeway? As far as I can read from what you've posted, they never actually complained, so I'm confused as to why they seem surprised that she's still working there. Did they expect her to fire or suspend herself?

I should say that was apparently a slightly older story. The cashier has been fired.

Zaptruder

Banned
Gays should be more confrontational about this shit.

It should be like...

'lol, fags.'

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU SAY YOU LITTLE BITCH?!"

or

'lol, fags'

*pulls out a pistol*

"I dare you to say that again!

If they did this more often, people wouldn't really want to mess with them.

Sure, it'd cause a whole lotta other problems, but you know what I'm saying is true!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
RBH said:
No sincerity at all in that "apology" video.

Edit: Hm, seems like they haven't officially filed a complaint to the manager or anyone in the corporate chain at Safeway.
Yeah it's weird how the company doesn't act when nobody mentions it to anyone who could actually make that happen.

At least the gay couple were allowed to purchase groceries. A black couple in the 60s would not have been let into the store. In short gay people have come a long way, why are they complaining? Eventually these things will go away, no need to talk about them

Most people would call that horrible advice but I kind of agree. When people are often confronted with racial slurs they cause a big ruckus over it. Same thing should happen when somebody says this.

Also is the description accurate? That sounds a bit strong to say "fucking faggots, you're a bunch of fucking faggots" right at them.

Gaborn

Freshmaker said:
Yeah it's weird how the company doesn't act when nobody mentions it to anyone who could actually make that happen.

From the second story I linked:

Officials from Safeway, which community leaders say has been a good corporate citizen with the new store location, were reacting strongly late Thursday to the employee's remark.

"We have reached out to the customers involved to extend our sincere apology," wrote Safeway Eastern Division President Steven Neibergall. "We were shocked and appalled" by the employee's behavior, he wrote. "The incident is personally offensive to me."

The store said it was taking corrective action to make certain every employee understands the store's anti-discrimination policy.

The store also says it's looking into why several employees were seemingly unhelpful when the two men tried to find the store manager. "The complaint should have been dealt with immediately and we apologize that this was not the case."

Discotheque - she specifically admits she said it. Though in the video she says "effing fags" rather than "fucking faggots." Not that there is a difference practically.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Watching the apology, I kinda think this chick is less a stereotypical "old school" bigot and more one of the charming "everything faggy is a faggoty-waggity fagot fagfest" generation weaned on the Internet and current teen culture.

She probably chortled even during the original incident, more surprised and amazed she was seeing NO WAI!!! REEL FAGGOTS?! ZOMG U GUYS! someplace other than gay pride parade pix being mocked on Fark.

RBH

Freshmaker said:
My edit was meant to reflect my realization over why no official action had been taken by the company at the time the article was written.

GavinGT

Banned
Officials from Safeway, which community leaders say has been a good corporate citizen with the new store location, were reacting strongly late Thursday to the employee's remark.

"We have reached out to the customers involved to extend our sincere apology," wrote Safeway Eastern Division President Steven Neibergall. "We were shocked and appalled" by the employee's behavior, he wrote. "The incident is personally offensive to me."

The store said it was taking corrective action to make certain every employee understands the store's anti-discrimination policy.

The store also says it's looking into why several employees were seemingly unhelpful when the two men tried to find the store manager. "The complaint should have been dealt with immediately and we apologize that this was not the case."

Yeah, not even close to a satisfactory response. She should have been fired for dropping the F-bomb to a customer, let alone calling them "fags".

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Gaborn said:
From the second story I linked:
Still a strange course of action they took. Went to the media, organized a boycott, filed complaints with the state...

Never called Safeway's corporate office. Which would've shot that clerk out of there with a cannon.

Instead, "I'm shocked she's still working there."

Well, yeah. No complaint, no action. Crappy that the other workers stonewalled, but it's not exactly hard to come up with the corporate number.

bengraven

Well this thread is doing well so far.

Ridiculous that in this day and age someone can say "fucking faggots' anyone's face.

Lucario

Zaptruder said:
Gays should be more confrontational about this shit.

It should be like...

'lol, fags.'

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU SAY YOU LITTLE BITCH?!"

or

'lol, fags'

*pulls out a pistol*

"I dare you to say that again!

If they did this more often, people wouldn't really want to mess with them.

Sure, it'd cause a whole lotta other problems, but you know what I'm saying is true!
I do this at school. I've gone off at people for using the word fag in front of me/calling me a fag, threatened large groups of dumb people out of rage, and insulted the manhood of a few choice homophobes at my school.

it confuses the hell out of people, since I'm 130lbs and girly. having very large friends helps.

_Isaac said:
Wow. This made the news.
Um, if a supermarket DIDN'T FIRE SOMEBODY for their employee calling two customers racial slurs, would it be news? Yeesh. I really hope realize what it's like to be discriminated against, because this kind of bullshit is usually done in private. And it's done a lot.

totowhoa

Banned
Alligatorjandro said:
Wow this wasn't in the South.

Neogaf User assumes all fucking southerners are racists, homophobes, does not apologize, receives no banning. Other users think about contacting management but realize it's futile and continue to deal with the constant and annoying stereotype.

teiresias

Gaborn said:
I should say that was apparently a slightly older story. The cashier has been fired.

Gotta love the comments at the bottom of that news story.

Nick Holland, who is a Senior Project Manager at Facchina Construction Company, Inc. - http://www.facchina.com/ - has no problem with that woman calling gay couples obscene slurs.

One also has to love how people probably don't realize what posting via Facebook actually means is revealed about them.

Sklorenz said:
Neogaf User assumes all fucking southerners are racists, homophobes, does not apologize, receives no banning. Other users think about contacting management but realize it's futile and continue to deal with the constant and annoying stereotype.
It's ok. One day we'll get our hypothetical Safeway cashier fired for justice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom