• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Video starts on July 13th [3DS]

Shiggy

nintendo_video3n5i.jpg

Nintendo Video is a service that allows 3DS users to watch video content on their 3DS systems. This service - available starting from July 13th - includes cartoons, documentaries, among others. Nintendo Video is freely available as a download in the Nintendo eShop and provides access to new and exclusive videos in both 2D and 3D.

Nintendo Video is able to automatically download content via SpotPass. Videos will then be shown in the HOME menu of the console. Saved for a limited period of time, the video content can be watched as often as the user wants to. To ensure SpotPass access, Nintendo teamed up with various European HotSpot providers, but even local WLAN networks can be used.

Content includes:
- selected episodes of Oscar's Oasis (TeamTO & TUBA) - for the first time completely in 3D
- Magic Tricks (D4D)
- country-exclusive content [Germany: ZDF.Archive with 3D documentaries about the Great Wall of China or Taj Mahal; videos of the Fantastische 4 tour]

Coming soon:
- movie trailers
- classic concerts
- animations for children

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Why does all the video content from Nintendo have to be available for a limited period of time?

Majine

Banned
Shiggy said:
Saved for a limited period of time, the video content can be watched as often as the user wants to.
Does not compute.

This is wierd. So I'm just gonna download that file, then pray to god that I get some video content?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BY2K said:
Licensing, I would guess.
For some content, understandable. But everything video on the 3DS, including trailers for their own games, has been "for a limited time only".

Disguises

Jocchan said:
Why does all the video content from Nintendo have to be available for a limited period of time?
In this case, I guess it's limited by the 3DS storage space (because the application downloads videos to watch offline I think).
It doesn't make sense about other videos being limited time only, in this digital age it baffles the mind :S

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seeing the mention of automatic downloading makes me wonder why Nintendo doesn't have background downloading on the e-shop.

Fritz

Shiggy said:
Content includes:
- country-exclusive content [Germany: ZDF.Archive with 3D documentaries about the Great Wall of China or Taj Mahal; videos of the Fantastische 4 tour]

That's actually top notch content, isn't it? Kinda excited now.

Stitch

Gold Member
Jocchan said:
That's what i hate about the kirby channel. I've missed episode 2 and then i didn't want to watch the rest =)

Mafro

They really need a dedicated video player app, rather than having every downloaded video taking up a space on the home menu. Typical backwards Nintendo design.

Disguises

Stitch said:
That's what i hate about the kirby channel. I've missed episode 2 and then i didn't want to watch the rest =)
Epsiode 2 is gone? Noooooo. Probably won't get around to watching the others now either :(.

Do we know if this content is IP locked or acts the same way as the shop (based on 3DS location settings). Hope it's based on the location....

Mafro said:
They really need a dedicated video player app, rather than having every downloaded video taking up a space on the home menu. Typical backwards Nintendo design.
I assumed this is what this application is.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Disguises said:
In this case, I guess it's limited by the 3DS storage space (because the application downloads videos to watch offline I think).
It doesn't make sense about other videos being limited time only, in this digital age it baffles the mind :S
There's still no reason not to allow the user to redownload old videos (obviously those with no licensing issues) to watch them again, and perhaps save them to the SD card like everything you buy from the eShop.

-MB- said:
And still no eshop cards in sight at retail here, Nintendo can be so weird at times.
Agreed.

Shiggy said:
Content includes:

Woah niiiiice! That's something I would not have expected from Nintendo.

Disguises

Jocchan said:
There's still no reason not to allow the user to redownload old videos (obviously those with no licensing issues) to watch them again, and perhaps save them to the SD card like everything you buy from the eShop.
Very true. I always think if it was any other company other than Nintendo, it would have these options. It will be a shame watching an awesome 3D animation then not being able to show it to people because the content expires :(

Mafro

Suzzopher said:
I wonder what region exclusive content we'll be getting in the UK?
Could be the 3D Sky Sports, ESPN and Shaun the Sheep stuff they announced at that conference in January.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Disguises said:
Very true. I always think if it was any other company other than Nintendo, it would have these options. It will be a shame watching an awesome 3D animation then not being able to show it to people because the content expires :(
I admit I liked some portions of the 3D demo video we had in Europe.
Too bad that one was, too, available for a limited time.

weeaboo

Shiggy said:
It will be available on all consoles which can be set to a European country.

I believe it when I see it. For everything related to online video services Spain is the worldwide ghetto :(

Stitch said:
Or you can watch the rest and hope that it drops a key to unlock that episode for 24 hours..
But let's be honest, you'are missing nothing of exceptional.

Disguises said:
Epsiode 2 is gone? Noooooo. Probably won't get around to watching the others now either :(.

Do we know if this content is IP locked or acts the same way as the shop (based on 3DS location settings). Hope it's based on the location....

I assumed this is what this application is.
japan contents were ip locked, not playable on j consoles outside japan.

so you could watch 3d pr0n? how HORRIBLE of you, don't you think of children?

Disguises

walking fiend said:
japan contents were ip locked, not playable on j consoles outside japan.
That's ok. I'm in Europe, but not in the UK at the moment, however, I'd still like the UK content. Just hope they don't IP lock it by country :/

mclem

Stitch said:

I seem to remember something about randomly getting keys after episodes to unlock old ones. Just to confuse matters further.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jocchan said:
Do they remove them later on though? I.e the Black Wii Limited Edition has been available for nearly 2 years now :)

Disguises

Neo Child said:
Wait, does this download an app for each video? :/
Shiggy said:
Nintendo Video is able to automatically download content via SpotPass. Videos will then be shown in the HOME menu of the console.
It sounds like it does actually. I thought this app had all the videos inside rather than the HOME menu? Guess we'll see soon.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'll be interested to see how far they take the region locking on this service.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
test_account said:
Do they remove them later on though? I.e the Black Wii Limited Edition has been available for nearly 2 years now :)
The 3D demo video added by downloading the first firmware update was removed by downloading the eShop update. The E3 trailers are also marked as "available for a limited time only".

Disguises said:
It sounds like it does actually. I thought this app had all the videos inside rather than the HOME menu? Guess we'll see soon.
Missed that. Yay for more anonymous movie icons cluttering the Home menu (even though this is actually smart: you open the 3DS lid and find a new video sitting in the main menu, waiting for you to check it).

Majine

Banned
Jocchan said:
The 3D demo video added by downloading the first firmware update was removed by downloading the eShop update. The E3 trailers are also marked as "available for a limited time only".
Wait, they are going so selfdelete even if you downloaded them?

Shiggy

weeaboo said:
I believe it when I see it. For everything related to online video services Spain is the worldwide ghetto :(

Then change your country setting.
Edit: Didn't think about IP locking, sorry...

It's no longer limited, they released it as a normal edition ;)

krumble

People may moan about the 3DS, but for me (a console gamer since the NES days) due to all the features that keep growing the 3DS is pretty much my favourite console in years
Can't wait till 13th...

and no doubt GAF will backlash if there aren't 100 documentaries, 500 movies, and 1000 tv's shows on day 1

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Majine said:
Wait, they are going so selfdelete even if you downloaded them?
That video did. No idea about the E3 trailers honestly.

EDIT: Wait a minute, did we play against each other earlier today in the Uncharted 3 Beta? Pretty sure I saw a majine9 there.

Celine

Jocchan said:
So that eShop icon would appear on the first spot.
It was planned from the start, just a filler to showcase the 3D and save the best spot.

Disguises

Jocchan said:

EDIT: Wait a minute, did we play against each other earlier today in the Uncharted 3 Beta? Pretty sure I saw a majine9 there.
I think I remember reading somewhere they were for a limited time. Not sure if that means downloadable for a limited time OR that they get deleted by an upcoming firmware update. Actually, did the Japanese video app come from the eShop or a firmware update?. Doh, just read it's in the eShop.

Majine

Banned
Jocchan said:
A: Thats not my PSN Nick :D
B: My PS3 is on the other side of the planet, really.
C: I'd wish.

Top Bottom