• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

From Twitter:

Jonathan_Goff said:
Halo @Comic_Con: Traviss' novels to included a "washed out" Spartan II. #Glasslands

textosterone said:
Karen Traviss talks rehabilitated SPARTANS "do you remember what happened 40 hrs ago? We do. " http://t.co/IYZMR2s
pxuc7.jpg

Jonathan_Goff said:
Halo @Comic_Con: Halo: CE Anniversary terminals to dive into Halo history... animated style. Looks NICE!!!

textosterone said:
The Silent Cartographer Anniversary Edition!!! http://t.co/Q3XAeAc
JDqYk.jpg

Jonathan_Goff said:
Halo @Comic_Con: 343's @Danayoub showing off Silent Cartographer for Halo:CE Anniversary. BEAUTIFUL.

textosterone said:
to4bR.jpg

alisonst said:
Halo Anniversary demo RIGHT NAO! http://twitpic.com/5u4jw7

textosterone said:
PISTOL WHIP

textosterone said:
Q&a time! #ComicCon #sdcc

textosterone said:
Updated Easter eggs. Megg egg might be gone, just sayin. #ComicCon #sdcc #HaloUniversePanel

RoosterTeeth said:
The Halo Universe panel is showing off Halo CE anniversary. @Burnieburns Is on the panel with prominent Halo creatives. http://t.co/A7scVOS
rWWpT.jpg

textosterone said:
People who ask questions are getting tote bags? Dammit.

textosterone said:
When you watch this panel on YouTube, I'm the one who screamed at the HBO name drop. #HaloUniversePanel
(Represent!)

textosterone said:
Frankie doesn't like armor-lock. Confirmed. #HaloUniversePanel

textosterone said:
Title update coming up. #HaloUniversePanel

textosterone said:
MC was wearing a Cod piece. It was black.

textosterone said:
"Jun's fate may not ever be discovered" -Frankie #HaloUniversePanel

textosterone said:
10 ur anniversary art book coming out.

textosterone said:
No budget for halo anniversary on pc currently. #HaloUniversePanel

I believe the show is over. Thanks to Tex and Jon Goff for the updates!

squidhands said:
Because it's a form of bullying, whether you believe it or not. You are dangling a kid's hat above his head while you and the rest of your team repeatedly punch him in the balls. Yeah he can quit, and it would be the sensible thing to do (I do it when I see that a game is about to go sour like that), but why should he/she have to deal with that bullshit in the first place? Trounce them all you want with your superior team and skills and be done with it; don't shit in his mouth and force him to swallow it just because you need "something more" in your Halo.
I'm sorry, but this metaphor doesn't work. You can pine for Fun Fair Positive Halo if you want, but the fact of the matter is that Halo is a competition. Griefing someone in Firefight or Campaign might be bullying, but the Multiplayer game pits players against each other to directly assess which team is better. Would you tell Tom Brady to stop throwing TDs because the Raiders might not be having fun any more? In competition, the better team gets to impose their will on the other and if they're good enough to victory lap, laissez faire.

Also, I hope this rumored Anniversary video gets released to those of us not cosplaying soon.

EDIT:
stephen08 said:
Lol, awesome.

Louis Wu

Karl2177 said:
Love. I need to get used to the HBO layout. It's got soooo much stuff, but I barely know how to get to most of it.
Heh - this didn't exist until you asked for it; finding it would have been impossible before today. :)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
That CEA walkthrough-commentary was awesome. Really impressive to have the back button work like that on the fly.

Can't wait for Halo Fest!

Syracuse022 said:
I'm sorry, but this metaphor doesn't work. You can pine for Fun Fair Positive Halo if you want, but the fact of the matter is that Halo is a competition. Griefing someone in Firefight or Campaign might be bullying, but the Multiplayer game pits players against each other to directly assess which team is better. Would you tell Tom Brady to stop throwing TDs because the Raiders might not be having fun any more? In competition, the better team gets to impose their will on the other and if they're good enough to victory lap, laissez faire.
I'm sorry, but this metaphor doesn't work, because throwing TDs/kicking field goals = capping flags/holding hills/planting bombs/etc. when it comes to objective. And have you forgotten about unsportsmanlike conduct?

Gabotron ES said:
Someone upload this to youtube!!
Can't wait to watch it!

Hypertrooper said:
You are awesome.

ElRenoRaven

So um yea. Panel was kind of lame. Some of the questions asked were pretty damn stupid but what did we expect.

Overall just to have the new gameplay footage makes me happy.

Nutter

HiredN00bs said:
I'm sorry, but this metaphor doesn't work, because throwing TDs/kicking field goals = capping flags/holding hills/planting bombs/etc. when it comes to objective. And have you forgotten about unsportsmanlike conduct?

Could you and Stephen please shut up about sportsmanlike conduct already?

You cannot impose your thoughts on people, this is the internet, if you do not like reading about their Flag Holding and slaying, then ignore them. To see dozens of posts back and forth because of your "honor" rants is getting annoying. This thread encompasses all sorts of Halo fans, so live with it and move on. There are plenty of people who share your opinion just live happy knowing that.

Get this thread on track, Halo, Halo, Halo.

Woorloog

Banned
The new Halo CEA vid is nice but i really want to see the same stuff in current/newer build.

Jetpacks are awesome! (If we only could EMP the jetpack as Bungie originally planned (IIRC))

Nutter said:
Could you and Stephen please shut up about sportsmanlike conduct already?

You cannot impose your thoughts on people, this is the internet, if you do not like reading about their Flag Holding and slaying, then ignore them. To see dozens of posts back and forth because of your "honor" rants is getting annoying. This thread encompasses all sorts of Halo fans, so live with it and move on. There are plenty of people who share your opinion just live happy knowing that.

Get this thread on track, Halo, Halo, Halo.
Someone presents an argument, and I a counter-example. That's argument, and it happens on the internet sometimes. If you wanna keep things on track, don't make unnecessary posts like this, especially if you've got no stake in the particular discussion.

Nutter

Tunavi said:
Dana Vinson says, "Don't complain about jet packs. They're awesome!"

Fucking casuals...
There is nothing wrong with the jet-pack.

Campaign benefits from having different things to do. And MP would be ok as well if the Maps supported that type of movement. Jet-packs on Asylum/Reflection though that is where things break.

HiredN00bs said:
Someone presents an argument, and I a counter-example. That's argument, and it happens on the internet sometimes. If you wanna keep things on track, don't make unnecessary posts like this, especially if you've got no stake in the particular discussion.

I have got no stake? I have said my thoughts on this matter and moved on. The only person I see crapping up the thread with this supposed Halo Honor is you.

With the attitude you have, makes me want to get matched up with you so I can hold the objective the entire 15 minutes.

ElRenoRaven

Woorloog said:
The new Halo CEA vid is nice but i really want to see the same stuff in current/newer build.

Jetpacks are awesome! (If we only could EMP the jetpack as Bungie originally planned (IIRC))

I'm sure we will at Halofest. It's a tough wait but this has helped ease the pain of it.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
No new DLC until CE:A

It's gonna be a looooong wait
Not sure why anyone was expecting new DLC, other than the seven from CEA. All told, the DLC maps for Reach will be the same number as for Halo 3 (though, Reach has two FF maps in the mix).

The panel questions were, as usual, quite poor.

I was hoping the video after the panel was the terminal one, not some old E3 build footage, but it was still neat.

feel

Except for all the placeholder models, that demo was so good, specially considering it's an outdated build with placeholders all over the place. The switch is AWESOME!! ("Monkey island xbla did it before, they just copied it..")

I couldn't make out clearly if that was the Halo CE AR sound, I think it wasn't, sounded more like Reach's, I hope the sound effects in this were also placeholder if so, it just won't be the same storming a room full of panicking grunts in Halo CE without that AR sound!

DAVID ELLIS PLEASE

Just rip the bandaid and tell me now if the AR will have a similarly amazing lowpitch sound as the original. Or at least pull its trigger in the next current build video!

Hypertrooper said:
If you want to download the video in WMVHD, it is up at edelsman.
SWEET! thanks for the heads up

I put the direct link in this post if anyone else's interested, quote to reveal

Tunavi

Banned
Nutter said:
Joke post? It's so game breaking...

Edit: I'm okay with silly abilities in campaign. thats always fun. As long as reach sticks with the loadout system, jetpack will always be overpowered.

343 MAKE ARMOR ABILITIES PICK UPS

Nutter said:

Campaign benefits from having different things to do. And MP would be ok as well if the Maps supported that type of movement. Jet-packs on Asylum/Reflection though that is where things break.

I have got no stake? I have said my thoughts on this matter and moved on. The only person I see crapping up the thread with this supposed Halo Honor is you.

With the attitude you have, makes me want to get matched up with you so I can hold the objective the entire 15 minutes.
Well, I wasn't arguing with you, was I? I was talking to another user who presented a particular argument, and I presented the counter. Unless you have a counter-counter-argument, what are you doing here? It's nice to know you would be a jerk to me in-game as well. At least you're consistent.

Try PMing me next time if you want to have an unrelated discussion, especially since you want to keep things "on-track".

ncsuDuncan said:
...holy crap that is awesome.

It's really great to see how much emphasis they're putting on the story.

All the talk about the "Halo Universe" being connected to all of the stories...
- Halo CEA terminals
- Halo 4
- Glasslands
- Primordium
- Waypoint motion comics

So cool.
It is awesome how much Halo, we got and will get this year. Halo: Cryptum was a really mind-blowing book. The Defiant MapPack is a really nice DLC for Reach. Mona Lisa and Headhunter are amazing motion comics. And we will get even a lot of other contents this year. I get a lot of critics, that my main reason to fly to Seattle is Halo Fest. But it will be so worth it.

Woorloog

Banned
Tunavi said:
Joke post? It's so game breaking...

Edit: I'm okay with silly abilities in campaign. thats always fun. As long as reach sticks with the loadout system, jetpack will always be overpowered.

343 MAKE ARMOR ABILITIES PICK UPS
I don't get how jetpack is OP in MP... Well maybe it has a tad too much fuel and is a tad too fast but it's not HEAVILY OP (or my opponents are shitty jetpackers).

GhaleonEB

I like the idea of the terminals, and that tease did get me excited. The production on them looked spectacular - I was expecting text and narration. Bravo.

One of my big disappointments from Halo 2 and 3 was how key exchanges with Guilty Spark were never explained. Huge implications were just ignored.

MASTER CHIEF:

Is this true?

343 GUILTY SPARK:

(pauses) More or less. Technically, this installation's pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But, once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the flood. (pause) But you already knew that. I mean, how couldn't you?

CORTANA:

Left out that little detail, did he?

343 GUILTY SPARK:

We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You were with me each step of the way, as we managed this crisis.

CORTANA:

Chief, I'm picking up movement!

343 GUILTY SPARK:

Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?

CORTANA:

We need to go, right now.

(Sentinels float up behind 343 Guilty Spark)

343 GUILTY SPARK:

Last time, you asked me, if it was my choice, would I do it? Having considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed.​

I've wanted to fully understand this exchange since I first saw it back in that first Halo play through. Here's hoping the new terminals put it in context. (Or pending that, Halo 4.)

When trying to watch the video (or any video for that matter) on Halo Waypoint (Xbox 360) does anybody else get like a small shadow at the bottom of the screen that goes across the entire length? It's only there during videos, no where else in Waypoint UI.

GhaleonEB said:
I've wanted to fully understand this exchange since I first saw it back in that first Halo play through. Here's hoping the new terminals put it in context. (Or pending that, Halo 4.)
Or pending that, book three of the Forerunner trilogy (tentatively titled DONGBLAINIUM).

My guess?
In the third book, the didact, wearing armor very similar in appearance to MC's MJOLNIR, talks with 343 GS and activates the array.

Hydranockz said:
Halo:CEA Terminals > Halo 3 Terminals > Reach Datapads.

My god that looked amazing!

Loving what I'm seeing so far. The swell of nostalgia from the SC footage combined with the anticipation of what's to come with the continuing evolution of Halo story arc, starting with AE and leading into Halo 4, has me incredibly hyped.

Although I'm sure that it will retain most of what many Halo fans dread about that level, I'm actually quite curious to see what aesthetic changes were made to the Library. Hopefully the graphic overhaul will make it seem like less of a chore for those who didn't particularly enjoy playing through it back in the day.

Top Bottom