• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonz said:
Jumping over to the company that provides Apple with all its cameras for Iphones etc probably means we could see a similar camera resolution
Heh. Well, looks like iPhone has both a 0.3 MP front-facing and 5 MP rear-facing, so somewhere in that range? :p

antonz

JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. Well, looks like iPhone has both a 0.3 MP front-facing and 5 MP rear-facing, so somewhere in that range? :p
Thats the hard thing I dont see Nintendo going 5MP and I dont see them jumping providers for another .3MP when they have a sweetheart deal for 10s of millions of those already.

I could see something like a 3MP that was in the Iphone 3GS.
Teardown reveals its like 9.75 cents for the 5MP sensor. Nintendo is paying like 1.56 for each .3 in the 3DS. Since it is only one Camera I see them going a decent resolution but not sure if they would go for the 5MP

I knew there was a point that I wasn't remembering about that article and that was Apple, and after searching the company that I forgot was Omnivision. I can see it being one of their 5MP versions. Looks like their first version was first talked about for Apple back in 2009.

And right before I post this antonz doesn't see it as a possibility. :p

1-D_FTW

MDX said:
wiiu_golf.png

e3-2011-nintendo-wiiu-golf.jpg

For the first time ever, I'm actually impressed by that video.

It's always struck me as an extreme gimmick and the ultimate "all flash and no substance" bit of that video. It was stupid. OOh, you can throw your tablet on the ground and see a virtual ball. Worthless. But that's actually a great point. The ball is centered right by that "sensor bar." I would suspect you could greatly enhance the reliability of the reading if you wanted to make the golf swing hardcore.

boyshine

AzaK said:
2) If it was for when you want to play Wii Remote games on your controller; and who in their right mind would want to do that standing 3m away from the thing?
The IR-lights are much closer together, so you can play Wii pointer games having the controller screen right in front of you. It's probably not even using the sensor in the golf demo. It's just a second screen - but that screen will really help in messing with your brain, making you think that there is an invisible game enviroment surrounding you, only visible through the TV and wherever you place/aim the Wii U controller. The "window" gameplay is seriously the thing that has me most excited for gameplay possibilities on Wii U. I hope developers take advantage of the feature and doesn't just use it as a menu/HUD screen.

Gozan

A thought about the camera: The demos and mockups show people using the tablet as a window into the game.
But for that to work, the machine must know both the position of the TV (given by the sensor bar), the position of the controller (given by the gyros and magnetomajiggy and so on) and the position of the player, which might be provided by face recognition from the controller camera.
Heck, they know the camera will be at most arms length away from your face - maybe even eye tracking? That'd make up for losing the IR pointer...

Jin34

Somnia said:
So based off pictures they are still not putting a digital optical port on the Wii u? =/

I just know they are going to say "but it has HDMI" and all of us with A/V systems without them will be screwed.

boyshine

Gozan said:
A thought about the camera: The demos and mockups show people using the tablet as a window into the game.
But for that to work, the machine must know both the position of the TV (given by the sensor bar), the position of the controller (given by the gyros and magnetomajiggy and so on) and the position of the player, which might be provided by face recognition from the controller camera.
Heck, they know the camera will be at most arms length away from your face - maybe even eye tracking? That'd make up for losing the IR pointer...
All you need is to hold the controller up towards the TV, press a button to confirm the position, it will calibrate and the gyro will do the rest. Just like how it's done in OoT3D.

Sennorin

Banned
You know, I really wonder how Nintendo is going to make a difference with Wii U. Sure, it has a touchscreen-controller, but other than that...what? Third-parties won´t make any exclusive Wii U-games, so only Nintendo *could* create big, epic games that make use of the raised power and its features. Dunno, so far Wii U feels so ... boring.

WillyFive

Sennorin said:
You know, I really wonder how Nintendo is going to make a difference with Wii U. Sure, it has a touchscreen-controller, but other than that...what? Third-parties won´t make any exclusive Wii U-games, so only Nintendo *could* create big, epic games that make use of the raised power and its features. Dunno, so far Wii U feels so ... boring.

You were spoiled by the Wii. At least you are getting more new with the Wii U from the Wii than you got from the Gamecube from the N64.

Somnia said:
So based off pictures they are still not putting a digital optical port on the Wii u? =/
Wait, where did you find pictures of the back of the console? Nintendo has barely released pictures of the console at all.

As for digital optical, maybe Nintendo decided that the Wii-U doesn't need it, since the system has HDMI which is better than digital optical.

antonz

Dreamwriter said:
Wait, where did you find pictures of the back of the console? Nintendo has barely released pictures of the console at all.

As for digital optical, maybe Nintendo decided that the Wii-U doesn't need it, since the system has HDMI which is better than digital optical.
2cp7z8p.jpg

Jin34

AceBandage said:
You guys also have to remember that these are E3 models and that the system is still close to a year out.

True but there was no mention of it in the spec paper, I just know they won't feel like they need to put an S/PDIF output because HDMI carries audio, dooming a lot of us.

Battlefield 3 developer not yet interested in Wii U

http://wiiudaily.com/2011/08/battlefield-3-developer-not-yet-interested-in-wii-u/

When the Wii U was revealed at E3 a few months ago, EA showcased a brief glimpse of Battlefield 3 on Nitnendo’s new console, but didn’t dwell into further details regarding the game — other than it would become the first Battlefield game on a Nintendo console.

According to our source who is close to Swedish developer DICE, the developer is busy at work on the PC/PS3/Xbox 360 versions of Battlefield 3, and while they are in possession of a Wii U dev unit, they’re not yet interested in porting Battlefield 3 to the Wii U. According to the source, the 250 member DICE development team will be focusing on maintenance and post-content for a while after the release of Battlefield 3. The Wii U version isn’t even in planning stages yet, and development likely won’t start until well into 2012.

This would indicate a likely 2013 release for Battlefield 3 on the Wii U. Keep in mind that this is still a rumor and neither EA nor DICE have commented on the release window for Battlefield 3 on the Wii U. Battlefield 3 is due later this year on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Considering the release date, I'm not really surprised they wouldn't be thinking about the Wii U version. However I think the time frame is kind of out there. The engine and assets will already be in place so about the only thing I can see being done in that area is optimization for the hardware. After that it would just be planning and implementing how they want to utilize the controller. If it takes till 2013 for it to release then IMO there has to be another reason (or reasons) they're not letting on about.

Has there been even a peep from travellers tale? I figure that since Nintendo took the time to mention their exclusive lego world game, they must have had dev kits pretty early.

fernoca

I think it's too early for them (Dice) to start focusing on the Wii U and glad that they're choosing on working on the game they're supposed to have out in a few months; rather than be thinking on a possible release for a game a year from now.

And if EA is really that desperate on having it at launch next year, they'll probably get a smaller team to port it, just like the disaster that was Need for Speed for the Wii las year; though at least the Wii U port should be closer to the 360 version this time....I hope.. :p

And come on, people not getting Anihawk's post. :p

Gamer @ Heart said:
Has there been even a peep from telltale? I figure that since Nintendo took the time to mention their exclusive lego world game, they must have had dev kits pretty early.
Traveler's Tales you mean?

fernoca said:
I think it's too early for them to start focusing on the Wii U and glad that they're choosing on working on the game they're supposed to have out in a few months; rather than be thinking on a possible release for a game a year from now.

And if EA is really that desperate on having it at launch next year, they'll probably get a smaller team to port it, just like the disaster that was Need for Speed for the Wii las year; though at least the Wii U port should be closer to the 360 version this time....I hope.. :p

And come on, people not getting Anihawk's post. :p

Traveler's Tales you mean?

Oops. Indeed.

TTG is busy on 67 other franchises.

sinnergy

Dreamwriter said:

Well would suck for me, because the only option I have for digital sound to my receiver is optical. THe receiver itself is I think 6 years old.. but it can do 5.1 DTS and DD.. so it's fine by me.

Nintendo should inlcude optical out.

Mr_Brit

Banned
bgassassin said:
Battlefield 3 developer not yet interested in Wii U

http://wiiudaily.com/2011/08/battlefield-3-developer-not-yet-interested-in-wii-u/

Considering the release date, I'm not really surprised they wouldn't be thinking about the Wii U version. However I think the time frame is kind of out there. The engine and assets will already be in place so about the only thing I can see being done in that area is optimization for the hardware. After that it would just be planning and implementing how they want to utilize the controller. If it takes till 2013 for it to release then IMO there has to be another reason (or reasons) they're not letting on about.
Wait a minute, when did this demo take place, I've never heard about it. Also, what's the point of releasing BF3 in 2013 when MOH2 will be out and BF4 will be coming the same year.

Mr_Brit said:
Wait a minute, when did this demo take place, I've never heard about it. Also, what's the point of releasing BF3 in 2013 when MOH2 will be out and BF4 will be coming the same year.
cause it is bullshit obviously, they will start working on the next one for all the consoles simultaneously. And EA won't care if Dice is interested or not, Activision is already almost fully supporting Wii with CoD using one of their best developers, among most their important other franchises, let alone Wii U.

antonz

walking fiend said:
cause it is bullshit obviously, they will start working on the next one for all the consoles simultaneously. And EA won't care if Dice is interested or not, Activision is already almost fully supporting Wii with CoD using one of their best developers, among most their important other franchises, let alone Wii U.
Yeah the sites trolling for hits.

Dice isnt working on the Wii U software fully right now because they want to make sure the ones coming out in 2 months are ready. After that they arent gonna have 250 people working on patches etc as the site claims.

Bulk of the team will likely move onto BF4 and a small group set to work on Wii U and a small group on content patches for BF3

Dreamwriter said:

It's always nice if a device has a seperate digital out. Lots of people have a receiver.
And what exactly is inferiour about an optical out for sound?

StevieP

Banned
Freezie KO said:
Unless Battlefield 3 has pointer controls like CoD, EA can keep the game off the console for all I care.

+1. I will be buying this on PC. And probably a lot of other first/third person titles as well. It's a shame.

AzaK

walking fiend said:
let's hope we don't go back to stone age of analog based fps games.

Agreed, it would definitely be a step backwards. Hopefully, given that nintendo seems to still be considering the Wii Remote almost a first class citizen on Wii U that devs will support that option too. However that will make using the screen feature a little less wieldly.

fernoca said:
I think it's too early for them (Dice) to start focusing on the Wii U and glad that they're choosing on working on the game they're supposed to have out in a few months; rather than be thinking on a possible release for a game a year from now.

I really hope EA doesn't waste its (or another developer's) time to get Battlefield 3 ready for Wii launch. Release something different instead, something that won't be a year old and have already been played by the majority of people that want the game.

doomed1 said:
You still need a physical buffer. The software just decodes the signal for use on the LCD screen.

There was a different type of software that seemed to make that not necessary, but that's irrelevant since looking back on the controller patent it has separate memory to handle that.

wiiucontroller_patent02.jpg

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
1-D_FTW said:
For the first time ever, I'm actually impressed by that video.

It's always struck me as an extreme gimmick and the ultimate "all flash and no substance" bit of that video. It was stupid. OOh, you can throw your tablet on the ground and see a virtual ball. Worthless. But that's actually a great point. The ball is centered right by that "sensor bar." I would suspect you could greatly enhance the reliability of the reading if you wanted to make the golf swing hardcore.
Could also open up interesting two player gameplay where one player with a wiimote shoots at the tablet the second player is holding up. Think William Tell.

Orrr.....

A funky version of Trauma Center where the patient lays on the ground with the tablet on his or her chest and the surgeon player operates using both wiimote and touchscreen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
doomed1 said:
Likely something of a frame or decompression buffer or something to that effect.
A framebuffer (or anything with a similar use case) is the last thing you'd make out of flash memory.

Flash memory might take zero power to preserve its state (i.e. it's non-volatile) but its state-changing power is far above what any sort of dram would require. And framebuffers change. A lot. While nobody cares about their content 5 frames ago. And this is before we even touch on the subject of write-cycles wear-and-tear of flash.

As I said: zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom