• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealMeat

Banned
belvedere said:
No in game server browser, use battlelog

Will not ship with LAN mode (security)
I really don't care for these two. The locked down multiplayer in BC2 really got on my nerves. If I can't even make a custom game in BF3, I'll probably pass. They really need to take a look at how Valve handles things in TF2.

Kyaw

Nabs said:
download it and play with us this weekend

Tell me when you do!

Keasar said:
Wait what? So any veichle is a spawnpoint as long as one guy sits in it?
Now for the inevitable battlerecorder video of one jeep driving into a base and out of it jumps the whole enemy team. :p

According to a guy from EAUK forums, take it with a grain of salt.

Spl1nter

Small conquest maps may refer to 16 player map sizes. Both bf2 and 2142 had 16, 32 and 64 player variants for each map. I always liked the 32 player maps with 48 players the best.

Nabs said:
I'll add you to Steam or something.

Add him to your origin friends list!

I knew it. Guess I managed to enter the code fast enough, but someone else got to the "Submit and continue" button before me.

Oh well, current PC can't play it anyway.

belvedere

Junior Butler
provo57 said:
I really don't care for these two. The locked down multiplayer in BC2 really got on my nerves. If I can't even make a custom game in BF3, I'll probably pass. They really need to take a look at how Valve handles things in TF2.

Since you must rent servers from EA dictated partners, the client can't host custom games. There are many customized servers out there though.

Nabs

Spl1nter said:
Small conquest maps may refer to 16 player map sizes. Both bf2 and 2142 had 16, 32 and 64 player variants for each map. I always liked the 32 player maps with 48 players the best.

Add him to your origin friends list!

I wish I could add him to my BC2 friends list =\

RealMeat

Banned
belvedere said:
Since you must rent servers from EA dictated partners, the client can't host custom games. There are many customized servers out there though.
Yeah, I was kinda hoping they would still put in some sort of LAN support. I really don't want to support this trend. I guess not enough people care.

Updated OP and the customization list with info from the Q&A/new articles (Demize confirmed that the M16A3 AND A4 are in the game). I'm gonna revamp the organization of the OP info on BF3, starting to get a little cluttered.

Oh, and PC GAF is getting together for some Bad Company 2 rounds tomorrow evening/night. Check the community thread if you wanna join.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Most of the game footage in that is the iPad version. You know, because that's the version we're frothing at the mouth to see.

IMACOMPUTA

LordCanti said:
I can see where those people are coming from if they've got an extensive Steam friends list. They don't need to have played the game to figure out that they are going to have to re-add all of their friends on the new service, just because EA and Valve can't negotiate.

The people that bash Battlelog without having tried it are definitely annoying though.
But Bad Company 2 made you add your friends within the game anyways. It isn't that annoying.

gl0w said:
Some off-screen footage from gamescom with some Ipad gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmUQMmYa5o
Sorry if already posted.

EDIT: link missed :p

He says that you can spawn in a vehicle, when a squadmate is sitting in there. Couldn't you do that in BF2? You could do that in BF2:BC, because he sounds quite surprised.
He also says that it looks quite good on PC, but it lagged, despite being working in LAN, not online.

BF3 had the biggest booth on GC, as I would guess. And the waiting lines were massive already 1h after opening. I didn't even dare to ask how long I would have had to wait.

Took some pics:

6056594900_754eb110d3_b.jpg

6056047611_c79d14d18e_b.jpg

6056048003_361f5e64ca_b.jpg

IMACOMPUTA

Kyaw said:
Some new tidbit from the gamescom gameplay:

Players can spawn straight into a vehicle from spawn menu if a teammate is driving it.

So transport vehicles won't go to waste when a ignorant driver go off without waiting for anyone.

so a teammate, not just a squadmate? eeeeentresting

Kyaw

Mr. Snrub said:
Updated OP and the customization list with info from the Q&A/new articles (Demize confirmed that the M16A3 AND A4 are in the game). I'm gonna revamp the organization of the OP info on BF3, starting to get a little cluttered.

Oh, and PC GAF is getting together for some Bad Company 2 rounds tomorrow evening/night. Check the community thread if you wanna join.

I'm playing some more tonight, so feel free to join me, if anyone wants.

Edit:

New news about motion sensors in BF3

Demize Gameplay designer said:
First, the 4 on 4 TDM setup is for Gamescom's lounge specifically. The full game will support 24 players in TDM by Design. In theory we could go bigger on PC of course, but we wanted to focus on a tight infantry TDM game. There are no vehicles in TDM.

Second, on Motion Sensors. First, you cannot throw them like the motion balls in BC2. You deploy them, they are larger (and easier to see) than BC2, they can be destroyed, they beep when they detect movement. A recon soldier can only have 1 deployed at a time. You can crouch or prone and move past a motion sensor without setting it off. Motion sensors will only show you briefly on the minimap (approximately 0.5sec).

You can, therefor, easily walk into range of a sensor, get detected, crouch, sneak away and either destroy the beacon or move and ambush anyone nearby who goes to investigate your position.

Tadale

Any word on how a lobby system will work on the console version? In BC2, you can only assemble a group of 4 to look for an open room. You should be able to find a match with more than one squad searching.

IMACOMPUTA

Patrick Bateman said:
I wouldn't believe that. The German dude who explains it in the video sounds more than unsure about the whole thing.
Yeah that kinda goes against the whole squad thing.. and could make for some ridiculous clown car moments.

Tadale said:
Any word on how a lobby system will work on the console version? In BC2, you can only assemble a group of 4 to look for an open room. You should be able to find a match with more than one squad searching.

no specific info other then that consoles will get a server browser.

Kyaw

New info on how 3D spotting will work/how it's changed:

Demize said:
So, a soldier in direct Line of Sight that is spotted will have a 3d red marker. If he moves behind cover or concealment, including vegetation, the 3d red marker will disappear. He will always be on the minimap. Vehicles are always fully 3D spotted, and LOS does not apply since they are larger more important targets with less threats (and it plain did not work to have jets flying around who couldn't see the tank you spotted for him to take out).

This lets you essentially "nudge" your buddy to tell him about a target, or point out a sniper on a hill you see but cannot engage (with your shotgun for example). But it prevents players from using 3D spotting as a wall hack.

Additionally, the primary motivator for the change is that 3D spots that you cannot see are not threats. We noticed that players would focus on 3D spots over everything else, meaning they would ignore people in line of sight. It's far less confusing when the 3D spot on a soldier can only be seen if you can see the soldier.

Enosh

First, the 4 on 4 TDM setup is for Gamescom's lounge specifically. The full game will support 24 players in TDM by Design. In theory we could go bigger on PC of course, but we wanted to focus on a tight infantry TDM game. There are no vehicles in TDM.
my prayers have been answered

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
belvedere said:
So it sounds like there is an aircraft carrier on Wake. So they're in the game in some form.
Carriers are meaningless unless they can be driven. Which they most likely can't be (they couldn't be in 2 either).

Spl1nter said:
Lets start a clan called the Hot Carls. Parody team hot, talk about 1942 nostalgia.
That sounds like an excellent idea. We need to keep a rage tally then too.

Sethos said:
24 *smug grin*

I really don't get why we have the arguments between two big games and then the fans of one game always have the PC vs Console argument. I had a lot of fun with Bad Company 2 so 24 should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom