• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Alpha starting Aug. 18th. + Subbed Media briefing

FreeMufasa said:
Concept art (old?)

Focast

tZObS.jpg
Looks so ridiculous but I know it will be the first thing I make anyway.

vid

B-Genius said:
Did you re-install BB just to hear the Pioneer 2 theme?

... I don't blame you.

I didn't do it JUST for the Pioneer 2 music, but that was certainly a large factor. I ended up spending two hours slogging through the Forest and Caves with a buddy, and we're going to try and clear Mines and maybe Ruins later tonight.

I never played Episode IV (or III, but that's a whole other beast) and I'm going to try to remedy that before PSO2 arrives. I know a lot of other people have mentioned that they never went past Episode I & II, so I sort of feel like we could probably get a "RTTP - PSO" thread going...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
vid said:
I didn't do it JUST for the Pioneer 2 music, but that was certainly a large factor. I ended up spending two hours slogging through the Forest and Caves with a buddy, and we're going to try and clear Mines and maybe Ruins later tonight.

I never played Episode IV (or III, but that's a whole other beast) and I'm going to try to remedy that before PSO2 arrives. I know a lot of other people have mentioned that they never went past Episode I & II, so I sort of feel like we could probably get a "RTTP - PSO" thread going...
Just site search for my Blue Burst thread! Already have one going with a list of gaf character names. Just post your character name and info in there and I'll add you to the list!!! :]

Mareg

So considering I absolutly loved original PSO and also hated PSU.
What are the chance I will dig this game ?

Buzzati

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
I've thought about that.

In the briefing, when Sakai is going over the character customization he talks about how you can make 'macho, tough, black guys, like those popular in western games'. Then they continued to make a Space Marine. I don't know why he would've said this if they weren't planning on attracting a playerbase here.

I don't think anyone hasn't fantasized about being a big strong black man. The Japanese included.
I hope they allow you to customize ripped jeans on your big strong black man character (no homo). God, I'm getting hot.

Oreoleo

DECK'ARD said:
Mags are back :)

This

+

Brettison said:
Lets see from the PSO World Thread stuff I like!

1) The PP system from PSP2 returns, in which the PP bar is tied to your character rather than the weapons. It also seems like your max PP may rise after each time you level up

4) Dashing makes an appearance in the game, which can be used to help create/lengthen melee combos

5) Normal shots no longer cost PP (Ranged Weps!)

6) You may now guard with Melee Weapons

7) You may now use Rods to perform Melee attacks like what was possible in PSO

8) Disks are used to learn photon arts and techniques

Disks have certain learning requirements, such as Stat requirements

Unlike PSU, there will not be a limit on the number of PAs or techs you can learn

Low-level disks can be bought at shops

High-level disks can be obtained as enemy drop

9) Dynamic weather change system

Meseta returns

Telepipes return from PSO

Fucking PSO LIVES SON!!!!!

All this.

If I had a vagina it would be so wet right now :D

That youtube video is sexy but I still haven't seen any green, blue or rare red boxes...does anybody know if the regular drop boxes are back in?

I fucking hated the crystal system btw

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Thanks for the 720p video.. god the menus, music everything just feels like PSO... just upgraded. So looking forward to this game right now.
edit: anyone know if certain gender/race combos are forbidden?
I remember you couldn't make a Male Newman Hunter for example.
Casts are looking kinda boxy, I used to love my F Hucaseal, hopefully they bring back that sleek cyborg looking style.

kiryogi

Banned
More breakdown from PSUblog

Over 1600 people were connected to the alpha test.
The Flow of starting a mission, the main lobby > quest area > camp ship > mission.
Healing items look like canisters on the field. Monomates, Star Atomizer, Photon Crystal, Photon Drop were spotted.
You can lock weapons so you don’t discard them.
Music is very light and airy and BGM transitions from calm to battle. Music transition is very quick.
You can use technics within your physical attack combos. (Normal atk > Normal Atk 2 > Foie)
PA Discs look like CDs when on the ground.
You can attack without weapons.
When enemies have status effects, their colors change, “Poison” Status effect changes their color to purple.
Healing pads look similar to the way they did in PSO.
NPC “Dynal” in missions drop boxes with healing pads from his aircraft. Player described this event as very FPS like
Alpha test has 4 character slots but there’s a space for a fifth one but it looks disabled.
Weapons icons (looks like sword) drops on the ground.
You can continuously use “Step” or “Jump” without any cool down (I’m sure they’ll probably change this aspect later on)
Interrupt Event: An NPC named Prigita, tasked the player with defeating the hovering enemy, Vriahda (Briahda).
Transitioning to different blocks actually look like heading off to a new area instead of just warping.
Sub Classes were removed from the Skill Tree.
You can cut trees down with your sword, we even saw the blades of grass get cut.
You can guard with your sword.
Forces can teleport or warp to evade attacks.
A player reported during evasion (Mirage Escape) as a Force he was completely invincible.

ALSO, they'll be sending out more alpha invites a lot earlier than previously scheduled! Next batch comes in tomorrow! Folks check your emails!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
From PSO2 official facebook page:
海外の皆さんも沢山見て下さっているので、英語で書いてみました!

Hello friends! I am Bonko :)
Now at 6PM ! α Test Day 2, just start now!
Well, actually I was playing game last night with everyone :D hidding from the eyes of the producer sakai haha! I am so busy tonight, but if i have a chance, i would like to play game.
Even if you can not receive α test request, still you have a chance to receive additional announcements if the α test goes well.
I will update report of αtest by twitter. please follow us.
The first sentence means: "Because of the big amount of English speaking followers I'll write it in English as well".

English release confirmed!

Q&A from Facebook:

Q: Is it available PSO2 release in the every country ?
A: We would like to release in the all over the world but schedule becomes undecided.

Q: Do not make Enlish's Facebook pages?
A: There is not the plan making English's Facebook pages now.

Q: Why PSO2`s offical facebook page can not report or update by English so often ?
A: We would like to do it but Staff is not good enough to fully understand English sometimes, but We will try our best to update of Status by English.

I'm worried that japan will get all the events and hot fixes again leaving us in the cold with no events and not many balances... :/

Might be the first PS game I import especially.

Suairyu

Banned
The more I see/read of this game the more excited I get. Just hope the music remains as good. Little difficult to tell from the videos. PSO had a god-tier score.

Suairyu said:
The more I see/read of this game the more excited I get. Just hope the music remains as good. Little difficult to tell from the videos. PSO had a god-tier score.

The best game soundtrack ever was definitely an important part of making PSO the best game of all time. A Longing To Ancient Times, Healing, Day Dawns... crazy.

Anyone know who the composers are for PSO2? Are Hideaki Kobayashi and Fumie Kumatani back for this?

kiryogi

Banned
Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
The best game soundtrack ever was definitely an important part of making PSO the best game of all time. A Longing To Ancient Times, Healing, Day Dawns... crazy.

Anyone know who the composers are for PSO2? Are Hideaki Kobayashi and Fumie Kumatani back for this?

Uh, they were never gone. They did PSU as well. The issue with PSU was the theme/atmosphere they were going for. Which was the theme of adventure versus the ambiance that PSO had. They never did anything wrong, they just did what they were told to do.

Blueblur1

Here's an organized list of videos and archived livestreams that are still available. Some have been posted here and others haven't.

Already Posted
Female Hunter gameplay video: http://youtu.be/JkL-Tze4eQ8 | Varion's re-upload link - missing first 12 seconds of footage from YouTube link

Livestream video: http://youtu.be/UQuN9T_IX24

Livestream video 2: http://youtu.be/LAfb8-UywC8

Female Hunter Character Creation and combat video (from Dailymotion): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQ9V51TS

HD Cast Character Creation video: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=57YBV9D4

New
Female Human character creation: http://youtu.be/JkL-Tze4eQ8

Ranger gameplay: http://www.multiupload.com/1LHCZH9QKV

Ranger gameplay 2: http://www.multiupload.com/TSZJFRFF8Q

Choppy video of Force gameplay: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RXZKEFZC

90 minute Livestream video (lobby and Hunter gameplay): http://ja.twitch.tv/nekonome_nekomimi/b/292971666

More Ranger gameplay (uploaded today): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T2017S50

Audio Files
Game Start-up featuring title screen music and SEGA ID log-in screen music: http://www.mediafire.com/?s546y3ftr6xzat9

SEGA ID log-in screen music on its own: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A200U0Z9

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Wolfgunblood Garopa said:

Yeah I'm not a huge VGM nerd but PSO stays in rotation... What I've heard so far sounds very similar to the original thank god. HYPED!
Someone archiving those Youtube videos? they getting shot down before I can click most of them...
Thanks for the links Blueblur

edit: Reinstalling blue burst goddammit lol

TeK-DeLorean said:
Yeah I'm not a huge VGM nerd but PSO stays in rotation... What I've heard so far sounds very similar to the original thank god. HYPED!
Someone archiving those Youtube videos? they getting shot down before I can click most of them...

Agreed. It was the first soundtrack I ever bought.

The Episode III soundtrack might be even better too.

LaneDS

Oh man, those music samples gave me nostalgia chills. Can't wait. Little bit I watched of the video looked really solid and almost all of the changes sound really great.

That music though, man.

Blueblur1

TeK-DeLorean said:

I just checked them all and the only one that was missing was the last Ranger video which I just replaced with a Megaupload link.

Edit: PSO 2 Alpha downloader file is in the wild. But you can't really do anything with it aside from installing the game to look at the title screen. :/

vid

Blueblur1 said:
Edit: PSO 2 Alpha downloader file is in the wild. But you can't really do anything with it aside from installing the game to look at the title screen. :/

I kind of want to look for that, just so I can sit and listen to that title screen music for a while without it going through third party channels...

Blueblur1

vid said:
I kind of want to look for that, just so I can sit and listen to that title screen music for a while without it going through third party channels...
It's not worth the trouble really. Makes me really wish I had gone through the trouble to sign up for the Alpha though. :/

Souljiro

Whoohoo had a chance to look at the videos I'm sure sega will be taking them down soon! Looking at these reminds me of PSO in the Dreamcast days can't wait.

kiryogi

Banned
Guess no 2nd wave of invites early yet... Stress problems ahead!

From PSUblog:

Bonko didn’t really sound so happy about yesterday’s test. There was a high load on the server which caused considerable lag. Because of this they are not considering adding new participants to the 23rd test at this time. This only leaves those who were not selected to wait until the 26th and 27th to participate.

Blueblur1

The datamining has begun. Highlight [very minor] spoilers at your own risk (I know some people are sensitive to this stuff):

Planets:
Planet_Naberias (I think this is the forest one)
Planet_Lillipa (?)
Planet_Amduscia (I think the lava caves are here)
Planet_Num (...May be referring to the planet number, and not an actual name)

Areas:
Area_None (probably not relevant)
Area_OldUrban
Area_NewUrban
Area_Stadium
Area_Forest
Area_SnowMountain
Area_DarkfalzSeal (!!!)
Area_Desert
Area_Tunnel
Area_LavaCave
Area_Dragon

I'm not sure if that'd be all the areas or not. Seems odd there'd be only 3 boss areas, but then I guess they could all be considered "Area_Dragon" if they wanted...

Techs!
Fire:
05_item_tec_fire_foie
05_item_tec_fire_befoie (???)
05_item_tec_fire_gifoie
05_item_tec_fire_rafoie
05_item_tec_fire_shifta
Ice:
05_item_tec_ice_berta (lol)
05_item_tec_ice_giberta
05_item_tec_ice_raberta
05_item_tec_ice_deband
05_item_tec_ice_saberta
Thunder:
05_item_tec_thunder_zonde
05_item_tec_thunder_gizonde
05_item_tec_thunder_razonde
05_item_tec_thunder_sazonde
05_item_tec_thunder_zodiarl (note: the charged version of zodial is listed as a DARK tech)
Wind:
none?
Light:
05_item_tec_light_grantz
05_item_tec_light_gigrantz
05_item_tec_light_ragrantz
05_item_tec_light_resta
05_item_tec_light_anti
Dark:
05_item_tec_dark_megido
05_item_tec_dark_gimegido
05_item_tec_dark_ramegido
05_item_tec_dark_samegido
05_item_tec_dark_czodiarl (I'm just putting this here because it may be different from the thunder zodial)

Action_TrialEvolutionReady

(99% Sure by Helicopter they mean that Dropship.)
BootEventCollisionType_HelicopterShooting
ObjectHelicopterType_DropHealingPod
ObjectHelicopterType_DropHealingMachine
ObjectHelicopterType_DropEnemy (Trololol)
ObjectHelicopterType_DropBarbette
ObjectHelicopterType_DropWaveLaser
ObjectHelicopterType_DropRareEnemy
ObjectHelicopterType_DropRareContainer
ObjectHelicopterType_DropDogMachine (Wat)
ObjectHelicopterType_Gatling
ObjectHelicopterType_Missile
ObjectHelicopterType_Defense
ObjectHelicopterType_Collection

FriendOnly (Found this near a bunch of party related stuff, kinda safe to say it means you can set party to friends only.)

SuccessCondition_InterruptIncident
SuccessCondition_QuestPoint
SuccessCondition_BossDead
FailureCondition_None
FailureCondition_AnyPartyMemberDead
FailureCondition_AllPartyMemberDead
FailureCondition_KeyII

Enemies:
SoldierAntElite
QueenAnt
AntEgg
Snail
NativeBeast
NativeBeastThrower (Guess this is those 'Gibbon' like things we saw throwing rocks in videos.)
JellyFishInfight
JellyFishInfightChild
JellyFishDischarge
JellyFishDischargeChild
JellyFishBig
FishShield
HologramRobot
HologramRobotShadow
PterosaurA
WolfA
WolfB
Armadillo
BigBeastA (Rock Bear?)
RagRappyA
RagRappyB
Rappy
DragonRaptor
DragonRizardmanA
DragonRizardmanB
DragonRizardmanC
DragonWolfA
DragonWolfB
Doodlebug
DoodlebugNeedle
SpiderUrban
SpiderStadium
DragonMagma
MagmaWall

Edit: Added last list.

vid

I'm hoping that more of the music becomes available soon... I remember listening to tracks from PSO on loop for months before that game arrived in my hot little hands.

I've already said it at least once in this thread... DAT PIONEER 2 MUSIC.

kiryogi

Banned
bakeray said:
is the only way to get into this is still to import the newest version of PSO for the PSP?
There's no way to get into it currently. The former methods... Which I've probably explained a dozen of times now were: to get first pressing copy of PSP2i, have a PSUJ account, or purchase at least 3000y in guardian's cash. The lottery entry period ended in June.

Blueblur1

Force gameplay with Tech charging: http://youtu.be/Ap2d_B8XTss

Charging Foie quadruples the damage. And charging Resta causes an area of effect which lasts for a handful seconds but heals the player several times.

Short video with Hunter charging a Sword Photon Art: http://youtu.be/Z5szq_lG64E

Through datamining the existence of chargeable melee Photon Arts was discovered a couple days ago. The Photon Art shown in the above clip is supposedly just 1 Photon Art, not a combination of different attacks.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Phantasy Star Fan Blog has some other images: http://bumped.org/psublog/

Edit: Force video was taken down. Here's a Megaupload link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K008LK90

Top Bottom