• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

fernoca

Yep. Came back from playing some matches at a friend's place and noticed that. Online was playable, but not perfect. The game crashed after doing Liu Kang's Fatality in MKII and the on Scorpion's in MKI.

In my case, heck I paid the same for the Extended Play collection for the PSP just to play the games here and there; and this collection is definetly better than that one. It's also better than the Arcade Treasures II one in terms of quality and added stuff (no shadows dissapearing in some stages..at least none that I noticed and background/layers moved properly).

With some care (and a patch or two) it could be even better. So far, it seems it was a little rushed in some aspects to try to meet a deadline to recoup costs more than anything. Not that it's a complete mess, there's a lot of care in the added things like the filters/CRT look.

If anything I'll recommend it to people looking to have the 3 games (or one of the games at least) to play casually and with friends; not necesarily to play them online. The overall package is great and for the price is a steal; but only if you're not looking for 100% perfect ports and to be playing online all the time.

[NOTE: PS3 version, dont 't know if there are differences with the 360 version]

This is all making me sad :(

Why couldn't they get this right? How many times have these games been ported?

Only the power of Xbox720 can save us?

fernoca said:
Yep. Came back from playing some matches at a friend's place and noticed that. Online was playable, but not perfect. The game crashed after doing Liu Kang's Fatality in MKII and the on Scorpion's in MKI.

In my case, heck I paid the same for the Extended Play collection for the PSP just to play the games here and there; and this collection is definetly better than that one. It's also better than the Arcade Treasures II one in terms of quality and added stuff (no shadows dissapearing in some stages..at least none that I noticed and background/layers moved properly).

With some care (and a patch or two) it could be even better. So far, it seems it was a little rushed in some aspects to try to meet a deadline to recoup costs more than anything. Not that it's a complete mess, there's a lot of care in the added things like the filters/CRT look.

If anything I'll recommend it to people looking to have the 3 games (or one of the games at least) to play casually and with friends; not necesarily to play them online. The overall package is great and for the price is a steal; but only if you're not looking for 100% perfect ports and to be playing online all the time.

[NOTE: PS3 version, dont 't know if there are differences with the 360 version]
So what about the screen stretch options? I'm seeing 4:3 which looks okay (although theres some space at the top and bottom of the screens that aren't being used) but the widescreen mode I've seen isn't taking the full screen. And in general the background art they have is dumb for only taking up the sides of the screens, they should've just made it take up the whole background because it doesn't look good at all in the widescreen mode that I've seen. Is there a custom stretch like in the current versions of MK2 and MK3?

fernoca

Conceited said:
So, worth buying as-is? Or wait for possible patches? Or is it totally unsalvagable?
Well, if you really want to play the games and relieve the old days, I'd say go for it. Heck, is not like the games are greatly reduced ports. This are not SNES/Genesis kinda of "downgrades". It's a nice collection for $10. But if your intention is to play online, then wait for more people to get it and any announcements regarding possible patches.

I'm not buying it, but that's because I only have a 3DS at the moment. :p

infinityBCRT said:
So what about the screen stretch options? I'm seeing 4:3 which looks okay (although theres some space at the top and bottom of the screens that aren't being used) but the widescreen mode I've seen isn't taking the full screen. And in general the background art they have is dumb for only taking up the sides of the screens, they should've just made it take up the whole background because it doesn't look good at all in the widescreen mode that I've seen. Is there a custom stretch like in the current versions of MK2 and MK3?
My friend stretched it, so you could see less of the border; but don't remember if you could fully stretch it.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
fernoca said:
Well, if you really want to play the game and relieve the old days, I'd say go for it. Heck, is not like the games are greatly reduced ports. This are not SNES/Genesis kinda of "downgraded". It's a nice colelction for $10. But if your intention is to play online, then wait for more people to get it and any announcements regarding possible patches.

I'm not buying it, but that's because I only have a 3DS at the moment. :p

Hmmm, thanks. I do want to play online so I think I'll wait a bit, 3S:OE has the majority of my interest right now anyways.

RedSwirl

Wait, what's with all the retroactive love for MK4? I mean I enjoyed that game a lot back in its day, but I assumed people hated it.

Dreamer RD

Lol Goro beating the hell out of me. Any tips how to crush him? Cant remember he was being so hard in console versions.

fernoca

Dreamer RD said:
Lol Goro beating the hell out of me. Any tips how to crush him? Cant remember he was being so hard in console versions.
Jump (Forward) + High Kick
Jump back
Jump (Forward) + High Kick
Jump back
Repeat

:p

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
@MUWANdo said:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/08/31/mortal-kombat-arcade-kollection-is-unplayable-online/

Yikes. Now I really understand why there was so little pre-release hype.

This has been my experience today as well. Playing online has been painful; my thumbs ache from death-crushing buttons in the hope they'd respond.

I'm also noticing some audio glitches in MKII, and in MKI, some backgrounds "un-darken" after performing a fatality. By default, as well, the music is too quiet; I'd recommend cranking the music slider to the max, and dropping the sound effects slider by one increment to be accurate.

My standalone copy of MKII for PS3 plays better than this, and it lets you stretch the screen to 16:9 if you want to. I can never seem to play that game much online, but I've never had luck with online gaming, despite numerous trips to modem, router and networking FAQs. Despite this, and the fact that the audio in the standalone release is 500% louder than any other PS3 game, it still feels much better.

I hope this gets patched! It's disappointing.

Cudder

Do each of the games have trophies? If so, will the standalone MK2 be patched with trophies? Sorry if this has been answered already!

fernoca

Cudder said:
Do each of the games have trophies? If so, will the standalone MK2 be patched with trophies? Sorry if this has been answered already!
Standalone PS3 release won't be patched.

Each game has achievements/trophies, but are located under 'Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection'.

NZNe7.png

NeonZ

RedSwirl said:
Wait, what's with all the retroactive love for MK4? I mean I enjoyed that game a lot back in its day, but I assumed people hated it.

Eh, if anything, MK4 got retroactive hate. It was well received back when it came out. The problem was that MK Gold took too long to come out, failed to fix or update anything and was already looking dated when it was released.

Only after Gold, MK4 became really disliked. It didn't help that the developers used the "MK4 hate" to justify the complete change of gameplay system and design style for Deadly Alliance.

shuri

Banned
People hated mk4 when it came out, it didnt help that midway was dumb enough to send out pretty much an unfinished game that lacked tons of features and was super buggy in the arcades.

Heck, the hate on MK actually started during MK3 shorty after its release.. people were claiming that mk3 was unoriginal and that it was going to kill the franchise.. I remember an article from nextgen about it..

What's the best game/character to use to get a flawless victory in ranked?

Slamtastic said:
Wow, a game with worse netcode than MK9.

The MK (original) matches I've played have been pretty decent. Only had one with slowdown/lag.

fernoca

corrosivefrost said:
What's the best game/character to use to get a flawless victory in ranked?
Keep in mind that the Double Flawless Achievement/Trophy is offline. Online is only 1 Flawless in Ranked.

Online technically depends on who you're most comfortable with. You could spam Smoke/Sektor teleports and harpoon. I managed to get double flawless during the original UMK3 in XBLA release with Sindel and Kitana.

Offline, go to UMK3 choose the easiest tower and Sindel scream + combo, rinse and repeat or Sektor teleport + missile.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
fernoca said:
Standalone PS3 release won't be patched.

Each game has achievements/trophies, but are located under 'Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection'.

NZNe7.png
The Elder God achievement, can that one be accomplished offline, or is that online wins only?

fernoca

twinturbo2 said:
The Elder God achievement, can that one be accomplished offline, or is that online wins only?
Hmm, don't know at the moment. :/

If anything, check if the game keeps track some where of general wins/losses or just for online ones.

Khezu

RedSwirl said:

Despite it being not the best game I have a lot of nostalgia for it, however I like MK4 more for what it could have been, then what it was.

At its base it was a natural evolution to the series, a 3D MK3, but for what ever reason they added a bunch of gimmicks(side stepping, weapons) and some poor design decisions(maximum damage). If they would have learned from there mistakes they could have easily turned it around for MK5 and made something kinda like MK9, but with a run button. Instead they caved under the negative reviews and decided to forget everything that was MK and make that weird ass game deadly alliance.

I'm just glad they got on the right path again, even if it took them 10 years.

fernoca said:
Hmm, don't know at the moment. :/

If anything, check if the game keeps track some where of general wins/losses or just for online ones.

I'm going to guess it's offline across all 3 games.
I've noticed every win on the arcade ladder in MK results in a "saving..."
The only thing I can see it saving at that point is the +1 wins.

--

So you suggest trying for the flawless online ranked with someone like smoke/sektor in UMK3? I'll have to give it a shot.

fernoca

corrosivefrost said:
I'm going to guess it's offline across all 3 games.
I've noticed every win on the arcade ladder in MK results in a "saving..."
The only thing I can see it saving at that point is the +1 wins.

--

So you suggest trying for the flawless online ranked with someone like smoke/sektor in UMK3? I'll have to give it a shot.
Yeah, checking some more there's a similar achievement on MK2011 which counts offline,online friendly/ranked/etc. wins; so maybe it counts just all wins.

And yep, usual spamming of teleports plus luck of the "inexperienced" day one players. :p

Khezu

Ninja Scooter said:
no that's one of the animalities. Forget who but someone turns into a T-Rex.

Stryker.

I was rooting for him to get it in MK9 as a fatality, it makes about as much sense as turning into a clown.

Dreamer RD

That's some awful online indeed. Almost unplayable. Patch is needed.

Also, how to do animalities that include 2x UP in the end? Just jumping and nothing happens. No Mercy in UMK3?

ArjanN

Dreamer RD said:

Also, how to do animalities that include 2x UP in the end? Just jumping and nothing happens. No Mercy in UMK3?

It's been a long time since I've played it, but can't you block and then do up so you don't jump?

Dreamer RD said:

Yeah, I retract my earlier statement... MK2 and UMK3 are like playing while swimming under water.

Isn't the block requirement for those "don't block an attack" not "don't press block at all" like it is in MK9?

Okay so after playing it a bit heres my list of problems. I know this is kinda a budget title since they are putting out all 3 games for $10 (whereas if they went the 3rd strike route they'd be putting out each game for $15) and with 3rd strike just coming out it makes this collection look kinda bad.

- Screen Tearing like a mother
- When you unpause the game your inputs aren't read immediately
- No custom screen stretching
- Online is nearly unplayable 99% of the time
- Scan lines should be a separate option from Filters
- Move list text is too small and looks like it was made for 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9. Also, for colour blind people (like myself) its hard to distinguish between the A and Y button, the A's green should be darker.
- Music for UMK3 seems to be lower than other games? Should have separate sound sliders for each game IMO. Also main menu music should also have it's own slider.
- No option to randomly pick which game you are playing for Ranked match
- Gamertags don't appear while fighting online
- Scorpion/Smoke's "Get Over Here"/"Come Here" get cut off in UMK3
- Finish Him music keeps playing sometimes when you pause the game (sounds dumb because its clashing with the menu music)
- Kombat Kodes don't work in UMK3
- I could be wrong but I think the start button may not be functional during the games (which is required for MK2 Smoke fight and certain fatality easter eggs). Someone could correct me but I tried down+start when I was uppercut into the spikes and didn't fall down
- Apparently you can't turn into Human Smoke in the first round of a fight in UMK3
- TerryMasters discovered a bug in the online menu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8ABGN-yGM
- I also think the filters could be a little bit better. The filter is okay but seems to lack a bit of smoothing, its as if theres a little bit of aliasing built into it. When I use HQ2xS in Mame I don't see that aliasing at all. (yes this is a nitpicky thing and more of a want than a need)
- Wheres the lobby match option? UMK3 and MK9 both have versions of this. This should have had it

If they could fix that stuff, then this would be a really really great package. Honestly, there needs to be a little bit of quality control from NRS. This isn't the first time they dropped the ball on a project like this. At my work if we drop the ball on something, right away we start putting a new process in place which avoids it from happening again. NRS needs to do this for future "port" projects.

Also, I still think they could've done the HD Kollection treatment without refliming. This is kinda my wet dream for one in the future given they fix the above... and I'd happily pay $20-30 for it

- Keep the original sprites and have filter options, but also have "touched up" sprites as an option which is basically filtered sprites with some touch ups. They could have an artist touch up key frames (such as win pose, upper body while walking, last frame of uppercut animation, face during fighting stance) to look clean and also fix some of the glitches in the sprites. For example when you are Scorpion/Sub-Zero in MK1 and you do a crouching block, the gamma is way off for that sprite; that could be fixed. With some of the other characters in MK2 or MK3 which have dark black in their costume theres also some weird shifting between black and grey in the leg areas that could be fixed. And also smoothing out the outlines of the characters could be done (theres a way to do this in photoshop really easily so it wouldn't be too much work).
- Redraw the stages in HD faithfully, everything should have the same hues and look.
- Redraw the lifebars/UI in HD faithfully
- Redraw the special effects in HD (blood, projectiles, etc)
- Remake the select screens and tournament ladders in widescreen HD (similar to how 3rd strike online did it), backgrounds of select screen should have exactly the same patterns as the original game but obviously redrawn in HD; Human Smoke should be given his own box in UMK3 (get rid of the hacky way it is now)
- Select screen and character bio portraits should be redrawn in HD
- text throughout the game should be the same fonts as the original game, just in HD
- If you're playing the game in a non widescreen mode, the border around the game should just be the background picture from the select screen (not unlike how 3rd strike does it)
- For screen options, allow custom stretching (which also allows you to do a vertical crop if you wish similar to SSF2T HDR's vertical crop), and have an option to expand the viewable area of the screen slightly as well. This way you could get a proper widescreen mode with a slight vertical crop + a slight horizontal stretch + a slight expansion of the view area.
- Offer multiple revisions of the games. If its not possible to HD-ify the older revisions easily, just offer them emulated with filter options
- Make a new revision of UMK3 with Noob & Rain.
- Offer a Remix soundtrack of MK1 (those tracks don't hold up very well), make it closer to the Genesis soundtrack (or at least have an option for that), which is the one that most people remember
- Use GGPO! After 3rd Strike, there's no reason not to. They showed that its legit.

mr stroke

infinityBCRT said:
Okay so after playing it a bit heres my list of problems. I know this is kinda a budget title since they are putting out all 3 games for $10 (whereas if they went the 3rd strike route they'd be putting out each game for $15) and with 3rd strike just coming out it makes this collection look kinda bad.

- When you unpause the game your inputs aren't read immediately
- No custom screen stretching
- Online is nearly unplayable 99% of the time
- Move list text is too small and looks like it was made for 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9. Also, for colour blind people (like myself) its hard to distinguish between the A and Y button, the A's green should be darker.
- Music for UMK3 seems to be lower than other games? Should have separate sound sliders for each game IMO. Also main menu music should also have it's own slider.
- No option to randomly pick which game you are playing for Ranked match
- Gamertags don't appear while fighting online
- Scorpion/Smoke's "Get Over Here"/"Come Here" get cut off in UMK3
- Finish Him music keeps playing sometimes when you pause the game (sounds dumb because its clashing with the menu music)
- Kombat Kodes don't work in UMK3
- I could be wrong but I think the start button may not be functional during the games (which is required for MK2 Smoke fight and certain fatality easter eggs). Someone could correct me but I tried down+start when I was uppercut into the spikes and didn't fall down
- Apparently you can't turn into Human Smoke in the first round of a fight in UMK3
- TerryMasters discovered a bug in the online menu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8ABGN-yGM
- I also think the filters could be a little bit better. The filter is okay but seems to lack a bit of smoothing, its as if theres a little bit of aliasing built into it. When I use HQ2xS in Mame I don't see that aliasing at all. (yes this is a nitpicky thing and more of a want than a need)
- Wheres the lobby match option? UMK3 and MK9 both have versions of this. This should have had it

If they could fix that stuff, then this would be a really really great package. Honestly, there needs to be a little bit of quality control from NRS. This isn't the first time they dropped the ball on a project like this. At my work if we drop the ball on something, right away we start putting a new process in place which avoids it from happening again. NRS needs to do this for future "port" projects.

Also, I still think they could've done the HD Kollection treatment without refliming. This is kinda my wet dream for one in the future given they fix the above... and I'd happily pay $20-30 for it

- Keep the original sprites and have filter options, but also have "touched up" sprites as an option which is basically filtered sprites with some touch ups. They could have an artist touch up key frames (such as win pose, upper body while walking, last frame of uppercut animation, face during fighting stance) to look clean and also fix some of the glitches in the sprites. For example when you are Scorpion/Sub-Zero in MK1 and you do a crouching block, the gamma is way off for that sprite; that could be fixed. With some of the other characters in MK2 or MK3 which have dark black in their costume theres also some weird shifting between black and grey in the leg areas that could be fixed. And also smoothing out the outlines of the characters could be done (theres a way to do this in photoshop really easily so it wouldn't be too much work).
- Redraw the stages in HD faithfully, everything should have the same hues and look.
- Redraw the lifebars/UI in HD faithfully
- Redraw the special effects in HD (blood, projectiles, etc)
- Remake the select screens and tournament ladders in widescreen HD (similar to how 3rd strike online did it), backgrounds of select screen should have exactly the same patterns as the original game but obviously redrawn in HD; Human Smoke should be given his own box in UMK3 (get rid of the hacky way it is now)
- Select screen and character bio portraits should be redrawn in HD
- text throughout the game should be the same fonts as the original game, just in HD
- If you're playing the game in a non widescreen mode, the border around the game should just be the background picture from the select screen (not unlike how 3rd strike does it)
- For screen options, allow custom stretching (which also allows you to do a vertical crop if you wish similar to SSF2T HDR's vertical crop), and have an option to expand the viewable area of the screen slightly as well. This way you could get a proper widescreen mode with a slight vertical crop + a slight horizontal stretch + a slight expansion of the view area.
- Offer multiple revisions of the games. If its not possible to HD-ify the older revisions easily, just offer them emulated with filter options
- Make a new revision of UMK3 with Noob & Rain.
- Offer a Remix soundtrack of MK1 (those tracks don't hold up very well), make it closer to the Genesis soundtrack (or at least have an option for that), which is the one that most people remember
- Use GGPO! After 3rd Strike, there's no reason not to. They showed that its legit.

ouch

I guess this is a pass then, I was really hoping for a playable online version of the original MK's. But everyone is saying the Netcode is ass :(

mr stroke said:
ouch

I guess this is a pass then, I was really hoping for a playable online version of the original MK's. But everyone is saying the Netcode is ass :(
Like I said earlier I must be the only one not seeing lag in the original MK because its fine for me.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
It just seems like they took all three games and just glued them together.

Not even the kombat codes work.... what's the point of having them on the vs screen then??

I'm hoping a serious patch comes out and fix all these issues...

Galdelico

infinityBCRT said:
- I also think the filters could be a little bit better.
Man, this.

Also the brightness seems to me way too high... Blacks look like middle/dark greys, and everything appears so much more pixelated and muted down.
Side by side, XBLA Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 looks like a completely different game, compared to the one in this Kollection (upper floor on Scorpion's stage is nothing less than a mess there).

I'm really disappointed, so for now I'll hold my money or get something else.

you notice the screen tearing but it's not that big a deal.

my biggest gripe is the music mix in mk3. it's so low. if they patch that i'll be fine.

i suck at mk and have no intentions on fighting online. so that doesn't affect me whatsoever. it's really cool to have all 3 of these games in a nice package. $10, yo. you probably spilled that in a single day playing any one of these games in the arcade back in the day.

this game is shocking. im a huge MK fan and i havent even tried online yet, but the rendition of MK1 is terrible. im playing with an arcade stick and half my moves arent being recognised. Also, in the 0.5s you get to do a fatality i havent managed to pull off ONE fatality in MK1. this is just ridiculous - i dont know if its faithful to the arcade but i dont remember it like this. i havent tried with a pad yet but with both my madcatz TE and Hori Real Arcade Pro VLX this game plays like dog shit.

Galdelico said:
Man, this.

Also the brightness seems to me way too high... Blacks look like middle/dark greys, and everything appears so much more pixelated and muted down.
The brightness is correct. The original arcade roms look the same way. You've probably just never seen the sprites this clear. Theres just a lot of noise in the black areas (especially around the legs). And you can see some of the photoshopping too because of the clarity. But you can also see some of the details of the sprites a lot more clearly as well like the quilted material on the chest of the MK2 male ninja. I actually never noticed that until they released MK2 Smoke for MK9 and then when I went back to MK2 I saw it.

And the pixelation is correct, although perhaps they should have offered a pixel double filter as well so for those who want the pixels, they can get it instead of the blurriness of the default look. I think the painted filters look best though.

..and its got the same cheap batshit insane AI from all the other games like when Jade can see everytime you are going to throw a projectile and run through it or jump and kick just when you jump etc.

its such a shoddily put together cheap port. an instant regret for me.

Galdelico

infinityBCRT said:
The brightness is correct. The original arcade roms look the same way. You've probably just never seen the sprites this clear.
Yeah, that's it.
I've only played the original games on arcade (never tried them on emulators) and - from back in the days - what I remember is just a nicely contrasted picture, not this washed out crap.

Also, almost all the ports I've played in years - along with PSN MKII and XBLA Ultimate MK3 - looked fine to me, that's why I assumed this version was wrong. My bad. ^^

About the pixels, I don't mind them at all (on the contrary, I love dem): it just seemed to me the odd gamma made them more visible.

Top Bottom